A portion of a Dtoid interview with creator Kotaro Uchikoshi...
D: Did you think Chunsoft would approve your initial pitch for 999?
KU: No. I didn’t have any confidence in getting it approved, much like that first time with a woman. However, I was able to get the project in fruition thanks to many supporters. I wish I was able to get the same kind of support back during that first female encounter.
1. Sewer Surfin' (from "TMNT IV: Turtles In Time")
2. Guardia Millenial Fair (from "Chrono Trigger")
3. Dark World (from “The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past")
4. Polka Medley: Gourmet Race (from "Kirby Super Star") / Music A [from "Tetris"] / Ending [from "Super Mario World"]
5. Gerudo Valley (from "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time")
6. Frog's Theme (from "Chrono Trigger")
7. The Moon (from "Duck Tales")
8. Dragon Roost Island (from "The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker")
9. Metroid: Brinstar / Kraid's Lair (from "Metroid")
10. Dr. Wily - Stage 1 (from "Mega Man 2")
11. Bloody Tears (from "Castlevania II: Simon's Quest")
The following comes from a Reddit AMA with Daniel Smith of Gray Fin Studios...
Online multiplayer was dropped quite a while back - because it was such a headache in terms of creating new bugs/issues. Online leaderboards for Arcade mode were another thing - and were dropped pretty late - i was going through a period of feeling like the game would never be finished, and it just seemed to be adding complexity, so i had to be ruthless (it did make the Steam version however, where it was simpler to implement). Hopefully i can add these back in an update.
I plan to do an update right away to address a few bugs, and balance some difficulty issues. For new features, it really depends on how well the game does, especially for bigger stuff. I have plans for new game modes/levels, but we'll see!
Stuff like off-screen play, using alternative controllers for player 1, and the aforementioned online leaderboards will likely be added though.