Goriginal Content

EoD - Backlog talk

GN Podcast #472

Xeodrifter diary #5

EoD - Game Shows

EoD - Leaks

GN Podcast #471
 

RUMOR - Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 heading to the eShop

This information comes from a GBATemp poster...

Well I was running my weekly scan of Nintendo's CDN (the server where Nintendo hosts eShop Titles), and the EUR version of Mario Kart 7's title ID was added, sometime between now and last thursday.

You might call me wrong, but if you look at the TMD, it says the title has a manual and DLP Child, just like Mario Kart 7. And the NCCH files on CDN are very close to the size of the NCCH files from the EUR version of the ROM:

Executable NCCH: CDN/ROM = 609/611mb
Manual NCCH: CDN/ROM = 2.69/2.52mb
Dlp Child Container NCCH: CDN/ROM = 26.5/26.5mb


Turns out the same kind of listing is also available for Super Mario 3D Land. Looks like the eShop might start hosting older 3DS retail games as well! Thanks to Johnny4 for the heads up!

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
29 total comments (View all)
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 15:50

It makes a lot of sense, I was expecting this to happen some day. And for those of us who already have the games, nobody's forcing us to buy them again.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 15:55

Still, I wish I had the option now to have it digitally so I don't need to always have it in the cartridge slot when all I really want is a quick race or three or easy unplanned local multiplayer.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 15:56

sonic7877 wrote:Sorry Nintendo, but there's no way in hell I'd spend $40 on a digital game.


I agree with you. There's no excuses for that price.

EDIT: in my country I can find New Super Mario 2 in retail costing less than digitally. Only someone really dumb would buy this on E-shop.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 15:58

Steam charges full price. Why can't Nintendo?
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:02

@spellsinger I'd be hard pressed to find any first party Nintendo games at retail for less than that price. 3rd party games? ...that's a different story
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:05

toraton wrote:Steam charges full price. Why can't Nintendo?

^THIS^
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:07

LegendofSantiago wrote:@spellsinger I'd be hard pressed to find any first party Nintendo games at retail for less than that price. 3rd party games? ...that's a different story


SO you're saying that third-paty games can cost less, but not nintendo's games?
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:12

@spellsinger I'm saying Nintendo games rarely go down in price, 3rd party games do. At least in retail locations like gamestop, kmart, walmart, etc. There might be a special sale (like best buy's kid icarus uprising at $15 for one day or rhythm heaven for $5) but rarely do big/main Nintendo games get a price drop. The most recent ones I have seen was Other M (for obvious reasons) and DKCR along side TP.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:15

LegendofSantiago wrote:@spellsinger I'm saying Nintendo games rarely go down in price, 3rd party games do. At least in retail locations like gamestop, kmart, walmart, etc. There might be a special sale (like best buy's kid icarus uprising at $15 for one day or rhythm heaven for $5) but rarely do big/main Nintendo games get a price drop. The most recent ones I have seen was Other M (for obvious reasons) and DKCR along side TP.




But that does't change the fact that buying nintendo titles in E-Shop is not worthy.
Third-part titles, in other hands, can be a good deal. But we don't know for now.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:18

@spellsinger Reason being? As i said before, when i buy a game i'm only interested in the "game" aspect of it. Buying it digitally doesn't take away from that.
No Avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:19

LOL This is a first. Gonintendo posting info from GBATemp. HAHAHAHA
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:24

@toraton

You know what Steam also does?

Sales. Price Cuts.

Portal 2 is $20. Arkham City GOTY is $24.

Steam can get away with charging full price because they drop prices. Nintendo held sales for a month and I can almost guarantee that they are not going to ever price drop the eShop downloads of retail games.

You also act like this means people are happy with full priced Steam games. Has nothing to do with Nintendo. I won't buy a retail game on Steam. And I certainly won't buy a retail game on the Xbox 360 or Wii U, or 3DS.

@LegendofSantiago

True or not, why is that okay? New Super Mario Bros. on DS should not be the same price as New Super Mario Bros 2.

@LegendofSantiago

Personally, I don't think most games are worth $40 in the first place. And the only reason I even buy games at those prices are if they are limited or come with something.

Even though you are buying data regardless, the disc/cartridge is something that you can keep and use on another 3DS even if you accidentally break your 3DS somehow. Or what if Nintendo never adopts a unified system? Will we be able to keep transferring those games between handhelds in 15 years? And what if you don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would? You can't sell it or get a refund.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:25

LegendofSantiago wrote:@spellsinger Reason being? As i said before, when i buy a game i'm only interested in the "game" aspect of it. Buying it digitally doesn't take away from that.



Think about the pros and cons of physical and digital games.

-You don't lose the game forever if your 3ds broken, you don't have to sacrifice digital space in the SD card, you can have manuals, nintendo club points and ca have a pretty box, or you can sell the physical game to recover part of the money you spent on buying it.

C'mon... at the same price, it's not worthy buying digitally... REALLY NOT.

EDIT: the main reason why people buy games digitally is > better prices.
No Avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:33

I know this will never happen, but Nintendo could atleast set up at least something for those who want their games digitally. Like say, being able to download Mario 3D Land for something like $5 digitally, only for the people who have owned the game for let's say 6 months to circumvent scams, and all this info could be verified by the person's Club Nintendo account. easy way for us early adopters to enjoy both games without having to switch cartridges everytime. But as I said, I highly doubt this will happen, if ever. :(
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:39

MoldyClay wrote:
@LegendofSantiago

True or not, why is that okay? New Super Mario Bros. on DS should not be the same price as New Super Mario Bros 2.

Well it keeps selling i guess. Nintendo 1st party games usually sell for a while.

MoldyClay wrote:
Personally, I don't think most games are worth $40 in the first place. And the only reason I even buy games at those prices are if they are limited or come with something.

Even though you are buying data regardless, the disc/cartridge is something that you can keep and use on another 3DS even if you accidentally break your 3DS somehow. Or what if Nintendo never adopts a unified system? Will we be able to keep transferring those games between handhelds in 15 years? And what if you don't enjoy it as much as you thought you would? You can't sell it or get a refund.

Valid points, i'd rather pay about $20-30 for most 3DS games myself. But, that doesn't seem to be where the industry is going with retail games.
At the meanwhile, i can't make any counter arguments against that. Until Nintendo brings the unified accounts to the 3DS later this year/next year i can't use that argument, and until the law becomes manditory (being able to sell digital games) i can't make an argument against the not being able to sell your games if you buy them digitally. The only thing i can say at the moment is that the same way your 3DS can break or get lost your 3DS cartridge game can get lost or break as well.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:40

Yeeeah, I like having physical copies of games so I can sell them back and invest that money into something else when I'm done playing. However if games were worth the difference in what I buy them for/their resell value, I'd have no problem buying a digital copy that I could hold onto forever. The difference isn't usually much, though, and Nintendo will NEVER consider pricing their digital titles at $15-$20 at launch.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 16:43

This would make sense. I'd love to see Nintendo's entire first party catalog of 3DS games available for download on the eShop. That'd be wonderful.

About pricing, due to the lack of cartridge, box, manuals, and shipping, it should automatically be a lower price. Not by a ton, but by 5-10 dollars maybe. I don't know. I personally think that most of Nintendo's games are worth the asking price, but tons of games aren't. The default price of $60 is too high period, but if Call of Duty can stay at that price for three years straight, I don't mind $40 Nintendo games.
No Avatar
07 Sep 2012 17:06

I'd buy Steel Diver if it were digital and costs $15. I was never going to go to the store and buy if for $40.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 17:21

send tetris axis to the eshop for $15 and I'm DOWN.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 17:52

It really should cost less for the digital copy. I'm happy these games are both retail AND digital, so that way I can buy the retail copy; otherwise I wouldn't buy them at all (at that price). Yes, games on Steam are released full price, but they also get price cut eventually. I have never bought a full price game on Steam, nor do I ever intend on doing so. Nintendo doesn't really do sales and price cuts very often though. Honestly, I've never spent more than $15 on a digital copy of a game, and I don't ever plan on spending more. With retail, I can at least justify the higher price by having something I can resell, trade, or just hold onto for the purpose of collecting. I'm not saying Nintendo should sell these games for $15 digitally, but it wouldn't hurt them to sell them for a little bit less.
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 18:06

I'd love to buy CRUSH 3D if it were put on the eShop. :)
User avatar
07 Sep 2012 18:25

Jump on this, third-parties.

I think a lot of people could dig Dream Trigger 3D and Super Monkey Ball 3D at eShop prices.
No Avatar
07 Sep 2012 19:49

well , ok i guess
i never understood why people were delusional enough to think that ut will mean lower prices . It's not the case for the full game xbox stuff , and i know it's the biggest best thing ever since sliced bread because the hardcore gamers keep telling that .
They really thought steam was going to give game away for home systems ? lol they can do their prices (which i love) because they got a monopoly on truly distributing game on the pcs . Retail cannot even compete anymore for pc games .
So they do what they want , don't think that publisher, producer heck creators are happy than steam not only get 30% (roughly the same sony ms nintendo) get but don't give them any "incentive" "marketing promotions" aka MONEY . But mostly that they force the price down . It's only possible on pc , and also yeah great games for five bucks but not recent one , that's a lie . Their own games quite literally act as baits , the same way a cheap item is advertised for the local supermarket , the difference obviously is that anyone can buy it . Luckily all those shooters look the same to me , so whatever is the cheapest i'll bite .
User avatar
09 Sep 2012 15:33

@internet

You realize that a lot of Xbox 360 games aren't released at launch for download, and when they ARE, they are $30-40, meaning, you do NOT pay full game price for them, since they come out at $60.

So no. You don't pay full price. You still have to pay a lot, but it isn't full retail price, unlike what 3DS is doing.

As for your comments on Steam, I don't know what you're saying when you say "Don't think they are happy than steam get 30% and don't give them incentive/promos/money".

Are you trying to say Steam doesn't promote games and that developers don't like Steam? Despite most praising them and giving them away for free via Indie Bundles, including Steam Keys? Or am I missing something.
User avatar
12 Sep 2012 09:20

LegendofSantiago wrote:@sonic7877 Well, technically when you buy a game you are buying digital information on a disc. The game is what is worth the price to me, not the disc/cartridge, etc.


Sure, let's just give Nintendo money for doing nothing. We are paying full retail for downloads, all without any actual retail. For a $40 download, you are paying for: a cart/disc that you aren't getting, a case cover art and instructions, that you aren't getting, printing and shipping that you aren't getting and the most fun of all is that we pay for shelf space for digital goods same as a brick and mortar store.

And the, "we don't don't want to hurt retail sales by selling the dl's cheaper!" what a load of crap.

I'm guessing that out of a typical $40 game, Nintendo gets about $25, the retail store gets about $10 and the other $5 is for the physical goods, so what exactly are we getting for that extra $15? What, the chance to DL it 6 hours early before the store opens? That Nintendo brand Kool-aid must taste pretty good...at $15 a shot it better be pretty amazing.

To be fair, Nintendo isn't the only ones doing this. The Marvel/DC app's are selling digital comics for $4 same as physical copies!

Giving companies the same dollar value for downloads as for physical goods is a dangerous trend! And let's not even talk about the loss of freedoms here. The company can now dictate when and where you play the downloaded games. If you buy a crappy download at full retail price, you are stuck with it! Now if you get a crappy game on xboxlive, you're only out $10-$20, not $40.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way