Goriginal Content

EoD - Wii U holiday

EoD - Smash online

EoD - GN Instagram

EoD - How to review?

Xeodrifter diary #11

GN Podcast #478
 

RUMOR - GameStop taking Wii U preorders Thursday, bundle talk, pricing, release and more

I've gotten a handful of messages today from readers that have hit up their local GameStop for Wii U preorder info. Some of the info lines up, so I'll share the tidbits that have been consistently sent in.

- Wii U preorders open this Thursday
- $50 minimum to preorder
- 3 different bundles
- bundles start at $250 and go up to $350
- Wii U due out the week before Thanksgiving
- quantities will be very limited

Thanks to all of our tipsters for sending in these details! We'll find out the real deal soon enough!

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
34 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:13

hopefully they dont run out of pre-orders and or systems to sell
No Avatar
Anonymous
11 Sep 2012 17:14

I called a local GS earlier today asking about the Wii U and they took my name and number. Supposedly they'll call me when I'm able to pre order the system. It may not be much, but it's a start.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:20

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184672

* 3 bundles
* prices range from $250 to $350
* week before Thanksgiving

Looks like that one was real. Figured as much. Now just what the bundles consist of. My guesses:

$250: System w/ Nintendo Land and a Wii Remote Plus
$300: System w/ Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and a Wii Remote Plus
$350: System w/ Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and three (?) Wii Remote Pluses
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:23

LegendofSantiago wrote:@Zeldana I think it is amount of hardware being shipped that day. It would make sense, and it would make for a good (although fake) publicity. "Nintendo's next generation console is sold out everywhere!" "Nintendo has done it again"

I thought so, I was just holding on to the hope that Nintendo wouldn't do something so egregiously stupid again.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:24

Even though I don't know what it includes yet I guess I'm in for the $350 bundle.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:25

Everyone wants Nintendo Land, but nobody realizes that since everybody wants it that it wouldn't make sense to bundle it if everyone would pay anyway...

Also: Rumors. Totally useless, more so just before announcement in two days.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:27

immewnity wrote:http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184672

* 3 bundles
* prices range from $250 to $350
* week before Thanksgiving

Looks like that one was real. Figured as much. Now just what the bundles consist of. My guesses:

$250: System w/ Nintendo Land and a Wii Remote Plus
$300: System w/ Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and a Wii Remote Plus
$350: System w/ Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and three (?) Wii Remote Pluses

No way they'd package in two games with the second bundle.
No Avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:29

immewnity wrote:http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184672

* 3 bundles
* prices range from $250 to $350
* week before Thanksgiving

Looks like that one was real. Figured as much. Now just what the bundles consist of. My guesses:

$250: System w/ Nintendo Land and a Wii Remote Plus
$300: System w/ Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and a Wii Remote Plus
$350: System w/ Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and three (?) Wii Remote Pluses


more like
250: just the wii u
300: wii u and nintendo land
350: wii u, nintendo land and a wii u pro controller
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:33

megajacobf wrote:
250: just the wii u
300: wii u and nintendo land
350: wii u, nintendo land and a wii u pro controller

No way they can charge $50 for the pro controller. The Classic Controller was $20 last gen.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:34

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess:

$250 is Console+Gamepad
$300 is Console+Gamepad+Nintendo Land
$350 is Console+Gamepad+Nintendo Land+Wii Remote Plus & Nunchuk.

@StudMuffin

The Classic Controller was also mostly just a piece of plastic that attached to the Wii Remote.

Everyone else's controllers are around $50, so there's no reason Nintendo wouldn't charge $50 for it too.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:36

Could someone tell me if (assuming this is true, which honestly. I think it is.)

When they say pre-orders start Thursday. Do they mean Thursday at store opening at like 10:30 AM.

Or like it was for the Wii where they did a midnight thing just for pre-orders.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:39

MoldyClay wrote:The Classic Controller was also mostly just a piece of plastic that attached to the Wii Remote.

Everyone else's controllers are around $50, so there's no reason Nintendo wouldn't charge $50 for it too.

That is a good point, I just don't think wireless could cause a $30 jump in almost identical hardware. The Pro controller doesn't have a gyro or anything does it?
No Avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:44

StudMuffin wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:The Classic Controller was also mostly just a piece of plastic that attached to the Wii Remote.

Everyone else's controllers are around $50, so there's no reason Nintendo wouldn't charge $50 for it too.

That is a good point, I just don't think wireless could cause a $30 jump in almost identical hardware. The Pro controller doesn't have a gyro or anything does it?


no, just a "hardcore"look to it
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:47

Even the manager of my local Gamestop (he is two years younger than me) told me yesterday that the interest in Wii U is quite high and they expect the preorders to run out on Thursday
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:48

megajacobf wrote:
StudMuffin wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:The Classic Controller was also mostly just a piece of plastic that attached to the Wii Remote.

Everyone else's controllers are around $50, so there's no reason Nintendo wouldn't charge $50 for it too.

That is a good point, I just don't think wireless could cause a $30 jump in almost identical hardware. The Pro controller doesn't have a gyro or anything does it?


no, just a "hardcore"look to it

Hahaha. Well that should only be a small increase from the classic.

The SKUs might not necessarily be in $50 increments. If you cold buy a Wii U and a game for $275, that's some incentive from buying the console and a game separately. Just an unrelated thought.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:49

Flame_AC wrote:Could someone tell me if (assuming this is true, which honestly. I think it is.)

When they say pre-orders start Thursday. Do they mean Thursday at store opening at like 10:30 AM.

Or like it was for the Wii where they did a midnight thing just for pre-orders.

Most likely it'll be post-announcement.
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 17:52

immewnity wrote:
Flame_AC wrote:Could someone tell me if (assuming this is true, which honestly. I think it is.)

When they say pre-orders start Thursday. Do they mean Thursday at store opening at like 10:30 AM.

Or like it was for the Wii where they did a midnight thing just for pre-orders.

Most likely it'll be post-announcement.


Thanks, its the difference of me going to school late possibly, or playing the odds and waiting
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:04

GameStop always gives me crap on how all the Nintendo products will be "very limited quantity".
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:07

My GameStop manager (not reliable) said to expect something 2 weeks from now...
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 18:40

I was one of the people who sent in the story. My local GameStops are starting the Wii U preorders when they open their doors Thursday morning. They said be early because they expect a line and that they expect to be sold out shortly after opening.
No Avatar
11 Sep 2012 19:28

i truly hope the 250 bundle is a real thing , just the thing without any additional stuff . The 300 should save you money , one game , one wiimote+ and nunchuk , the 350 should be for people considering 360 harddrive price a bargain .
at 250 i'll buy without any regret , at 300 with nintendoland ditto , over that i'll buy it anyway but i'll have some regrets on how i'll overanalyse 50 bucks and cannot stop doing it , because it's the principle and the loop will go on and on
No Avatar
Anonymous
11 Sep 2012 20:35

StudMuffin wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:The Classic Controller was also mostly just a piece of plastic that attached to the Wii Remote.

Everyone else's controllers are around $50, so there's no reason Nintendo wouldn't charge $50 for it too.

That is a good point, I just don't think wireless could cause a $30 jump in almost identical hardware. The Pro controller doesn't have a gyro or anything does it?


well it has a rechargeable battery, wireless tech, more buttons, rumble, led light. Which werent on the CC Pro I can certainly see it being priced around $50

and this is what I think

250 = wii u +game pad
300 = wii u + gamepad + NintendoLand + WiiMote+(maybe also nunchuck)
350 = wii u + gamepad + NintendoLand + WiiMote+ + nunchuck + either Pro Controller or more Storage somehow (hopefully not an external HDD
User avatar
11 Sep 2012 23:20

I went to gamestop today to pay off A.C 3 for Wii U and the manager (quite reliable) said Be there outside Thurday morning with $50 before opening. He's going to watch the full event on his laptop! He also told me the database (products) are USUALLY in the system when they boot up in the morning or between 9 a.m-noon. I'll be getting which ever bundle come w/pro controller, the game doesent matter I have 8 games on preorder
User avatar
12 Sep 2012 00:06

Nice, looks like my predictions are coming true..

"November 2012 US (before Thanksgiving)":
viewtopic.php?p=566863#p566863

and 350:
viewtopic.php?p=613608#p613608
User avatar
12 Sep 2012 03:57

a lot of rumors are coming from gamestop lately

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way