Goriginal Content

Shantae review!

Fantasy Life review

EoD - Instagram fun

Xeodrifter diary #12

GN Podcast #479

EoD - Wii U holiday
 

Sessler's Something: The Wii U Launch


Direct link here (thanks JCC!)

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
21 total comments (View all)
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 16:45

As soon as he said the word 'hardcore' I stopped watching. Sorry, Sessler.
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 16:49

Stop watching at half the video. Some of the stuff he was saying was interesting, but it was mostly unorganized chatting with himself. And also "nsmbu does not qualify has proper Mario game". What it is, then ? Mother 4 ? Balloon Fight DX MkII ? It's not a 3D Mario game, but it's a very good 2D Mario game, if people who have actually played it are to be believed.
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 17:09

All we need now is for Morgan Webb to get hired, and it's good old X-Play all over again. Better off watching and listening to people to Youtube. Can't believe I just said that.
No Avatar
20 Nov 2012 17:15

Well this is typical. And we will hear this again just like we did with the Wii. Some of his points are valid, but in my opinion I think Nintendo knows this. I think Nintendo strategy is going to work down the line. Sell out for holidays and thru the launch window. Come out on E3 or maybe before and showcase 2013 must have exclusive titles built from the ground up. We already have something to look forwards in December with Nintendo Tvii. To me is surprising going to even instagram and seeing peoples reaction and kids actually wanting a Wii U. (Which thats the market for the Holidays...) So Nintendo will be alright. People see the potential and games like Nintendo Land and Mario U will catch on. We will see the numbers next month.
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 17:20

While I don't agree with all his points I respect him greatly for how civil he is about it and how well he can back it up.
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 17:34

Why is this guy still around?
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 17:42

TheBitBlock wrote:Why isn't this guy dead yet?


I hope this isn't Josh speaking. That's very unprofessional and uncalled for...
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 17:47

komicturtle92 wrote:
TheBitBlock wrote:Why isn't this guy dead yet?


I hope this isn't Josh speaking. That's very unprofessional and uncalled for...


Good! People have the right to voice their opinion in this country. I'm sick of the politically correct BS.
No Avatar
20 Nov 2012 17:49

Isn't this the man who didn't believe the Wii-U was launching this year? Sorry, Mr Sessler, your opinion carries no weight with me and I have no time to listen to your ramblings.
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 18:03

All of his points seem pretty valid, and he expressed his opinions in a non-vehement way. That's cool.

But of course we already have people trying to discredit him, or even wishing death upon him.

I'm with him about NSMBU. New Super Mario Bros is not "new" anymore.
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 18:17

Adam Sessler's a pretty intelligent, rational guy, as far as video game journalists go.

You might disagree with some of his opinions, hell I know I do, but he's no Chris Kohler, Morgan Webb, or Michael Pachter.

What has he done that has made some of you so bitter that you want him to die, exactly?
No Avatar
Anonymous
20 Nov 2012 18:38

He makes no sense in this video. He just talks out of both sides of his mouth. You can't have it both ways Sessler. You can't say that both casual, and core gamers won't buy a Wii U, but they all definitely flock to the next systems from Sony, and Microsoft. How does that make any sense? Why would casuals pass on the Wii U now, only to pay more for a system in a years time, with presumably no, or few casual games. If there are lots casual games at the launch of the 360 for Kinect 2, than isn't that just going to piss off the core 360 fans who only want hardcore games?

People just bought they're Kinects over the last two years, so are they going to run out to buy a whole new system next year to get a new version of the same thing? He brings up all these complaints about Nintendo, but than says it all going to fine for Microsoft, and Sony. Was the Vita all fine for Sony? Look at what going after the hardcore gamer did for that systems, so I think its absurd for people in the gaming press to think that Nintendo is going to just roll over, and die in a years time with the Wii U. Why? Did the Wii teach you people nothing?

It came out last, was way underpowered, and still won this generation by 30 million units. So if Nintendo can do that by being out last, what are they going to do by being out first? A 10 to 15 million head start is what they're going to do. I just don't get the logic of these people. Its like they're trying to will the system to fail. They're making up all these BS negatives reasons, that obviously don't exist. Because if it did exist, than why is the Wii U sold out like everywhere right now? Obviously, its not confusing people, obviously casual, and core gamers are picking it up, so he's right about over the next year, they'll have something to talk about. But hopefully its that the Wii U sales are just building, and building, and the other systems aren't even out yet to start to catch up.
No Avatar
20 Nov 2012 20:54

JPNR wrote:Well this is typical. And we will hear this again just like we did with the Wii. Some of his points are valid, but in my opinion I think Nintendo knows this. I think Nintendo strategy is going to work down the line. Sell out for holidays and thru the launch window. Come out on E3 or maybe before and showcase 2013 must have exclusive titles built from the ground up. We already have something to look forwards in December with Nintendo Tvii. To me is surprising going to even instagram and seeing peoples reaction and kids actually wanting a Wii U. (Which thats the market for the Holidays...) So Nintendo will be alright. People see the potential and games like Nintendo Land and Mario U will catch on. We will see the numbers next month.


There is a reason game critics don't run businesses. Just think, imagine if all these critics ran Nintendo as a business based on what they think gaming is all about, do you think Nintendo as a company would be where it is at today?

As much criticism that they dish out, the company has survived and prospered for decades despite everything these guys said. At the end of the day, thats whats matters. Their success is the result of their actions and decision making and I am glad they don't cave into these "hardcore" gamers and their self entitled demands.
No Avatar
20 Nov 2012 20:56

PEICanada7 wrote:He makes no sense in this video. He just talks out of both sides of his mouth. You can't have it both ways Sessler. You can't say that both casual, and core gamers won't buy a Wii U, but they all definitely flock to the next systems from Sony, and Microsoft. How does that make any sense? Why would casuals pass on the Wii U now, only to pay more for a system in a years time, with presumably no, or few casual games. If there are lots casual games at the launch of the 360 for Kinect 2, than isn't that just going to piss off the core 360 fans who only want hardcore games?

People just bought they're Kinects over the last two years, so are they going to run out to buy a whole new system next year to get a new version of the same thing? He brings up all these complaints about Nintendo, but than says it all going to fine for Microsoft, and Sony. Was the Vita all fine for Sony? Look at what going after the hardcore gamer did for that systems, so I think its absurd for people in the gaming press to think that Nintendo is going to just roll over, and die in a years time with the Wii U. Why? Did the Wii teach you people nothing?

It came out last, was way underpowered, and still won this generation by 30 million units. So if Nintendo can do that by being out last, what are they going to do by being out first? A 10 to 15 million head start is what they're going to do. I just don't get the logic of these people. Its like they're trying to will the system to fail. They're making up all these BS negatives reasons, that obviously don't exist. Because if it did exist, than why is the Wii U sold out like everywhere right now? Obviously, its not confusing people, obviously casual, and core gamers are picking it up, so he's right about over the next year, they'll have something to talk about. But hopefully its that the Wii U sales are just building, and building, and the other systems aren't even out yet to start to catch up.


Well said man, well said.
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 21:16

Agree with Sessler (thats a first...)

Nothing on the WiiU is appealing atm, nothing to justify the price.

When Mario, metroid and Zelda show up so will I.

On a side note....
Im worried that the next Zelda is gonna drop SS controls in favor of a fruit ninja setup using the touch screen....
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 21:35

Nintendo doesn't have to advertise a Zelda for the Wii U because its a given that you'll need one once the new entry comes out. Plus, the video they released in 2011's E3 was a taste of we could expect
User avatar
20 Nov 2012 22:10

TheBitBlock wrote:Why isn't this guy dead yet?


wow. A short youtube video about videogames, makes you wish a person was dead. This place has turned into N4G

stay classy
User avatar
21 Nov 2012 01:13

Stop picking on him and get a life. You guys are seriously trash.

Josh you need to chill. Like seriously? You seem like such a nice guy in your videos and you're making dumb comments like that.

You guys call this guy names and act like he's stupid but I'm pretty sure he can kick your @sses in a conversation of this kind of stuff.
No Avatar
22 Nov 2012 09:27

He seems like a pretty nice guy, just, obviously not someone running Nintendo, so of course he has no idea what they're thinking. Pretty much no one does. I think it is clear that Nintendo want to focus on the launch, instead of rushing into the future straight away, then making everyone wait years for more updates, because they've spilled all the beans on everything already, so of course we only know what's right under our noses now, and that seems to be plenty seeing as how it's all sold out anyway. No need to rush in more customers when you can't even accommodate for them yet. It makes sense for Nintendo to hold onto stuff to slowly get us hyped for the future as it comes, not right from day and blow it all in one go. Well imo anyway. I guess it does seem weird to some people when you do try to think of the future and you only know of a couple of games and that's it. But I do think it helps to try to think from the other side too, not just about yourself.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 07:50

It was a joke guys, settle down. It did sound a bit harsh, I meant it in a really sarcastic "jeez this guy is STILL around saying the same nonsense" kind of way.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 12:01

@melvin2898
I hate to be the one to tell you, but u can't beat ignorance with ignorance. Plus, I hate to play this card, but its the internet, people are going to voice their opinions whether or not you agree, and sometimes it night be nasty. Your not going to stop it by calling someone trash.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way