Goriginal Content

EoD - Miiverse use

EoD - TV Vs. Pocket

EoD - Warriors cast

EoD - SS motion

GN Podcast #466

EoD - Zelda music
 

RUMOR - Second New Super Mario Bros. U update wiping saves?

We don't know if this is an isolated incident or not, but it's definitely something to worry about. We're hearing a report of a second NSMBU update that's causing a nasty glitch...deleted saves. If you're very worried about this happening to you, I'd take your Wii U offline until we know the real story behind this.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
48 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
Anonymous
23 Nov 2012 19:35

Darlux wrote:
Mirr0rR3flection wrote:
ddddd wrote:This site is filled with blind fanboys too. they aren't any better. :|

(not pointing you or anyone in particular BTW)

Really? I've felt that theres been less.

Too many HD twin owners
here makes me sad…

…Not enough Ninty owners here to speak up these days. (;_;)

So much complaining about ram and 3rd parties that I can't find a reason to give-a-damn.


Image


There aren't enough "fanboys" on here in my opinion. This is a Nintendo site, after all. And as such, I expect to see more support for the console and not so much BS about how underpowered the machine is or how people are mad at Nintendo for this or that. I am loving my Wii U. And even though I have had a few problems with it, that still doesn't detract from it's ambitious design and amazing potential. Miiverse is awesome and addictive. And the games are pretty darn good for launch.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 19:38

I saw someone asking for a defense of Nintendo so here goes.

The "slow" ram is not an issue it is a very common practice to under clock ram so that it has less chance of creating errors, the faster the ram the more likely it is that it can write errors, this is even more important in the wiiU because it has 4x the ram of the HD twins. A lot of computers with DDR3 ram clocked at slower rates than the wiiU can run games like Skyrim at higher fps, better texture resolution, and general graphic settings more intense than the xbox or ps3 could dream of. Having 50% slower ram is only an issue if the dev's copy paste code optimized for a specific ram speed or type and expect the ram to be the same when it's not.

On top of this there is no proof that the ram is as slow as the claims because it's a custom set and the people who claimed to have pulled up the speeds of the ram on the manufacturers websites couldn't have because it's not on the website.

CPU Wise the entire reason Nintendo went with the GPGPU and put it on the same dye was to make sure that it could offload some of the CPU's work It's similar to how Sony's first party dev's have been using the PS3's cell to offload some of the GPU's work to make up for the fact that the GPU is considerably weaker than the 360's.(except this would be in reverse) it's all a matter of getting to know it and how it works and being able to optimize your code for it. Also, on it being "slow" slow is hard to quantify as we don't even know what the term "slow" even means, from a computer science perspective if it has a newer architecture than the 360's cpu even with the half the power draw it could be leaps ahead in calculation speed as long as you know how to use it, but slower if you attempt to brute force calculations, or attempt to use it with unoptimized code. It's similar to how dev's can't just port code to the PS3, because of the unique architecture they usually have to build it from the ground up to get it to work right even though by all measures it's "faster" than the 360's cpu.
No Avatar
Anonymous
23 Nov 2012 20:27

Well who gives a flying frizznut, I loved the game. I thought it was amazing. A great launch title especially! And I was wondering why my saves weren't account specific, cuz I thought they would be. And I'm kinda glad this hasn't updated yet on mine. I have sh***y internet so maybe that's why.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 20:41

Freaking heck, all these glitches on a Nintendo console? What is the world coming to?
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 20:52

CM30 wrote:Freaking heck, all these glitches on a Nintendo console? What is the world coming to?

You obviously don't Remember the Wii and GC launches.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 20:58

@toupee43

Based on your statement you are a "fan" not a "fanboy" as you see, a fanboy would never admit that anything put out by their manufacturer of choice has a problem.

Fanboys are the scourge of the industry. They start flame wars and make all gamers look like fools (ever read a fanboy game review on a retailer website before a game has even released)? The gaming community needs less fanboys and more fans.

A fanboy would say:

Long Wii U loading times? Why, that's just Nintendo's way of building anticipation.

A game update that wipes your game save just means more replay value.

And other nonsense like that.

On the other hand, a fan would say:

Yes the menus are slow and that is a problem but they have acknowledged that issue and will hopefully correct it. The slow loading menus don't prevent me from enjoying the content on the Wii U, but they do slightly hamper my enjoyment.

An update that wipes game saves is unacceptable and needs to be fixed. I don't believe Nintendo would let such a bug go uncorrected on their flagship launch title.
No Avatar
Anonymous
23 Nov 2012 21:15

Jet Pilot wrote:@toupee43

Based on your statement you are a "fan" not a "fanboy" as you see, a fanboy would never admit that anything put out by their manufacturer of choice has a problem.

Fanboys are the scourge of the industry. They start flame wars and make all gamers look like fools (ever read a fanboy game review on a retailer website before a game has even released)? The gaming community needs less fanboys and more fans.

A fanboy would say:

Long Wii U loading times? Why, that's just Nintendo's way of building anticipation.

A game update that wipes your game save just means more replay value.

And other nonsense like that.

On the other hand, a fan would say:

Yes the menus are slow and that is a problem but they have acknowledged that issue and will hopefully correct it. The slow loading menus don't prevent me from enjoying the content on the Wii U, but they do slightly hamper my enjoyment.

An update that wipes game saves is unacceptable and needs to be fixed. I don't believe Nintendo would let such a bug go uncorrected on their flagship launch title.


yes, I am a fan and not a fanboy. I was just responding to ddddd's comment, as well as some others. I am aware of the difference, though. Fanboys can be a real problem. My point was that I am tired of hearing so much negativity and doom when the console just launched. Yes, the save state thing is pretty bad and I am sure Nintendo is working to fix it, if it is indeed true(still marked as a rumor). There has been so much crap flying around about how Nintendo just doesn't get it, their console isn't powerful enough and that they cheapened out, etc. But, the reality is that what Nintendo has released is a console with amazing potential, that while it has it's flaws is a great experience that hopefully will get better as Nintendo fine tunes things and fixes it's problems. I'm not worried, but I am amazed at how many people are so ready to trash Nintendo that they can't see what is good, which is an awful lot.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 21:32

toupee43 wrote:There aren't enough "fanboys" on here in my opinion. This is a Nintendo site, after all. And as such, I expect to see more support for the console and not so much BS about how underpowered the machine is or how people are mad at Nintendo for this or that. I am loving my Wii U. And even though I have had a few problems with it, that still doesn't detract from it's ambitious design and amazing potential. Miiverse is awesome and addictive. And the games are pretty darn good for launch.

This site doesn't need any more fanboys, no site does.
No Avatar
Anonymous
23 Nov 2012 21:46

ddddd wrote:
toupee43 wrote:There aren't enough "fanboys" on here in my opinion. This is a Nintendo site, after all. And as such, I expect to see more support for the console and not so much BS about how underpowered the machine is or how people are mad at Nintendo for this or that. I am loving my Wii U. And even though I have had a few problems with it, that still doesn't detract from it's ambitious design and amazing potential. Miiverse is awesome and addictive. And the games are pretty darn good for launch.

This site doesn't need any more fanboys, no site does.


I personally don't think that this site has very many "fanboys" on it. But there are sure a lot of people on here who seem to have very little love for Nintendo and in most cases seem to be posing as someone who like Nintendo's products/games only bash and start a flame war. I was being sarcastic. I didn't actually mean that we need more fanboys. My point was that it seems that when someone is supportive of Ninty they are labeled a fanboy.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 22:43

all i know is its ridiculous to expect ppl who come to a nintendo site to have 100% love.
(omg you think the wii u is fail!! why are you here?..this is a nintendo forum!!)
you ppl complaining about ppl complaining about a product are retarded.
i for one think the wii u is a major major disappointment..thats my right to voice that..you dont have to like it..but you do have to get over it.
i absolutely love my 3ds..and every nin console before this one..yes even the wii even tho it only had 2 handfuls of good games.
ive been gaming since atari..been with nintendo from day 1...prefer nintendo over everyone else...but,i think the wii u sucks and nintendo hasnt learned a damn thing from past mistakes,i think its underpowered and will be worthless when the competition gets here..thats my opinion..
im totally happy that those who purchased it are enjoying it..im glad you are..im happy for you.
but keep in mind ( those whining about ppl not on the mushroom campaign with you )..ppl have a right to not like a system..they dont have to say it once and move on simply cuz it bothers you.
for every post on a site that points out a flaw..anyone is entitled to comment on that in its defense..or to say its garbage.
the only ppl who need to get a life are those whining about opinions that differ from theirs.
everyone on here and other sites are divided on their views on the wii u..accept it
No Avatar
23 Nov 2012 23:16

I started playing the game a couple hours ago. No second update.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 23:38

Come to forum to see if anyone has had a game save deleted before starting to play the game again.

Find people starting a flame war and arguing over Nintendo love.

How I love the Internet.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 23:40

You guys are hilarious, wow. Especially with the jpgs. But seriously though to be offtopic, this wiiu browser is amazing.
User avatar
23 Nov 2012 23:45

How many have confirmed this to be true...before everybody falls out? Seriously? How many? How many "rumors" is NintendoEverything known for coming true, or even being true? NintendoEverything should be know as the main site that helped put Nintendo Power out of business if anything, IMO.
User avatar
24 Nov 2012 00:02

bomblord wrote:I saw someone asking for a defense of Nintendo so here goes.

The "slow" ram is not an issue it is a very common practice to under clock ram so that it has less chance of creating errors the faster the ram the more likely it is that it can cause errors, this is even more important because the wiiU has a lot more ram than the HD twins. A lot of computers with DDR3 ram clocked at slower rates than the wiiU run games like Skyrim at higher fps texture resolution and graphic settings more intense than the xbox or ps3 could dream of. Having 50% slower ram is only an issue if the dev's copy pasta code optimized for a specific ram speed and expect the ram to be the same speed when it's not.

On top of this there is no proof that the ram is as slow as the claims because the Ram it's custom and the people who claimed to have pulled up the speeds of the makers websites couldn't have because it's not on the website.

CPU Wise the entire reason Nintendo went with the GPGPU and put it on the same dye was to make sure that it could offload some of the CPU's work just like how some dev's have been using the PS3's cell to offload some of the GPU's work it's a matter of getting to know it and how it works. On it being slow it's hard to quantify as we don't even know what the term "slow" even means, from a computer science perspective if it has a newer architecture than the 360's cpu even with the half the power draw it could be leaps ahead in calculation speed as long as you know how to use it but slower if you attempt to brute force calculations or attempt to use it with unoptimized code similar to the PS3.




.........eagerly awaiting someone to actually try and argue what you just said. 8)





Monoxzide wrote:all i know is its ridiculous to expect ppl who come to a nintendo site to have 100% love.
(omg you think the wii u is fail!! why are you here?..this is a nintendo forum!!)
you ppl complaining about ppl complaining about a product are retarded.
i for one think the wii u is a major major disappointment..thats my right to voice that..you dont have to like it..but you do have to get over it.

the only ppl who need to get a life are those whining about opinions that differ from theirs.
everyone on here and other sites are divided on their views on the wii u..accept it



I'm sorry to have to point this out, but don't you see the hypocrisy in just about everything you just said? You're on here, complaining in this very post, about people who come on and complain about OTHERS who come on and complain about a product. You're complaining about complainers who complain about things. Is that not some kind of form of "just as bad"? It's worth pointing out that while you DO have a slight point, that everyone is entitled to their opinion and has a right to voice it, it's ALSO worth pointing out that people who HAVE complaints of negative things to say about a Nintendo game/console/etc., could absolutely find better venues to voice such concerns/criticisms/bitching, than in a Nintendo fan forum. In fact you could even make the polar opposite of your statement, by pointing out that it could be construed as conceivably rather short-sighted/pointless/idiotic to waste one's time posting a negative, anti-Nintendo rant, on a Nintendo fan site.

Furthermore, I'd like to take issue with your statement that "I think the Wii U is a major disappointment, you don't have to like it, but you DO have to get over it". That in and of itself also isn't necessarily true at all. You're here telling people to "get over" the fact that someone else has a negative opinion of a Nintendo product, I.E. "don't bother arguing it, just accept it", yet you're doing the same thing from your own side of the fence, by NOT "getting over" the fact that someone could possibly want to defend/debate the things you don't like about said product. It's their right to voice that, just as much as you say it's your right to voice the negative opinion. So what you're doing is creating a conceptual impasse. Who has "the right of way" in this kind of verbal issue, and who gets to decide that? The answer is: no one does, and no one gets to.

But I can say, from a "practical common sense" standpoint, that not only is it rather a waste of time to come on a Nintendo fan forum and tell people how bad the newest Nintendo product is, but it also kind of sucks the credibility out of the point you seem to be straining to make, by in the very same "breath", also stating that you think people complaining about complainers (such as yourself), are, and a I quote, "Retarded". That's what is generally known as an insult, and insulting people certainly isn't a very good way to get people to see your point, much less agree with it. All it really does, is kind of make you look like an ass. I can further back that up by pointing to the second statement of yours that I bothered to include, the part about "The only people who need to get a life are those whining about the opinions of others." Farbeit from me to make a judgement call on such a thing, but it seems to me that the only person on here who really fits that bill to it's fullest extent, would be someone who is here complaining about complainers of complaints. I.E. You. And again, you using such colorful terms as "get a life" and "whiners", is rather rude, and is typically considered bullying language, I.E. trying to bully someone into seeing your point of view. Which, again, hardly lends validity or credibility to the argument that you seem to be straining so hard to make.

On one final point of interest....if I may. It's spelled "PEOPLE". Not "ppl". This is not Twitter, so use your "big words".

Thanks and have a nice day.
User avatar
24 Nov 2012 00:29

awwwwww..that was cute...now run along to david turnbulls site where you belong
User avatar
24 Nov 2012 03:20

Well I literally just got done playing it and I was never prompted for an update. Maybe mine's late for some reason.
No Avatar
Anonymous
24 Nov 2012 03:30

Cassidy wrote:
Fuego6 wrote:How does it feel to look into the mirror every morning and know that you are a liar and a Nintendo/Mario sympathizer. It's ok to not like a game and it's certainly ok to not claim it to be the best 2D mario game of all time. Those titles either belong to Yoshi's Island or Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros 3. Not this farce of a game.

Can I break some information that will also break your heart? This is what gaming is now.

You may not like it, but it's a tough fact that we have to face as blind consumers. This is not the first incident where save datas are deleted and it certainly will not be the last. Every console, every mobile device, and even on PC, video games will suffer from this problem from here on out. The majority of gamers praise the idea of updating our favorite video games without realising that there can be concequences in doing-so and that's how it is on every current-running platform.

You don't like losing your save data? You don't like that Team Fortress 2 has several game-crashing glitches in exchange for cosmetic items? You don't like how Sony almost lost thousands of credit card information to hackers? Then stick to your old Nintendo Entertainment System and just pretend none of these current video game consoles exist.

Welcome to the future!

Image

Let me break something to you. I deleted my own save data and I put the disc in the oven and broiled it. Trust me that did more damage then this second patch ever could.

Get on my level Dude!

Ps. I don't give a **** about team fortress 2.
User avatar
24 Nov 2012 04:52

First it was the word 'Gimmick', it's not a negative word. And now 'fanboy', too? And why all this fighting all of a sudden? Sigh.

Anyways, won't get my Wii-U before about 6 days, so I'm not worried about this.
User avatar
24 Nov 2012 04:57

Fuego6 wrote:Get on my level Dude!


:lol: I don't think anybody here wants to lower themselves to your level...dude.
User avatar
24 Nov 2012 12:40

Pretty sure this is bogus since I played NSMBWii last night after reading this story and there was no second update.

Can we lock this thread already please?
User avatar
24 Nov 2012 12:43

So much issues with the WiiU.. There's a new one every time I come here.

Kind of glad I haven't gone out to get one yet.. Preferably until Nintendo gets their shovel straight.
User avatar
24 Nov 2012 13:48

Well, if there was a patch, they removed it, because I didn't get a notification about an update.
User avatar
25 Nov 2012 13:40

According to all sources I could find, this is BS.

That is all.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way