Goriginal Content

EoD - Come back, ___

EoD - Come back, WR

EoD - Come back, SF

EoD - Come back, F-0

GN Podcast #453

Cult County chat!
 

Wii Mini confirmed by Nintendo of Canada



After nearly 100 million sold worldwide, Nintendo’s Wii console is getting a new look and a new price. On Dec. 7, the new Wii Mini home console launches in Canada at a suggested retail price of just $99.99 and puts the focus squarely on Wii games. The system can play more than 1,400 disc-based Wii games. Wii Mini is smaller than the original Wii system, and comes in matte black with a red border. The system comes with a red Wii Remote Plus, a red Nunchuk controller and works with most Wii accessories.

“There are games in the Wii library for every type of player,” said Ron Bertram, Nintendo of Canada’s vice president and general manager. “Wii Mini is a great gift for the holidays that brings everyone in the family together to play. Wii Mini has a mini price, but it’s all about big fun.”

Wii Mini is designed exclusively to play Wii games. Its family-friendly design has no Internet capabilities and does not play Nintendo GameCube games. It’s a great value for first-time Wii owners who just want to jump in and experience all the great Wii games that helped usher in a revolution in motion-controlled gaming. Wii games are available at a variety of price points for every kind of shopper. Some top Wii games during the past six years include:

• A whole range of value-priced Nintendo Selects games, including some of the top-selling and best-reviewed Wii games of all time, at a suggested retail price of $19.99

• Super Smash Bros. Brawl (suggested retail price of $29.99)

• Donkey Kong Country Returns (suggested retail price of $29.99)

• Mario Kart Wii (suggested retail price of $39.99)

• Wii Sports Resort (suggested retail price of $39.99)

• New Super Mario Bros. Wii (suggested retail price of $59.99)

• Wii Fit Plus with the Wii Balance Board (suggested retail price of $99.99)

Wii Mini is available exclusively in Canada during the holiday season. No information is available about its potential availability in other territories in the future. Remember that Wii Mini features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit nintendo.com/wiimini.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
35 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 15:21

Well, I guess this thing isn't for me. I thought they were going to streamline the system, not rip core components out. They'd better not try to replace the older console with this gimped thing. I guess if you only want disc games and for some strange reason feel intimidated by all optional internet-related features, you might like saving a few bucks, but it doesn't even seem much cheaper, and it doesn't look much smaller, either. Also, it's kind of weird looking. Seriously, the angles on the sides make it resemble an old phone answering machine. :|
User avatar
27 Nov 2012 15:34

Jerome wrote:Well, I guess this thing isn't for me. I thought they were going to streamline the system, not rip core components out. They'd better not try to replace the older console with this gimped thing. I guess if you only want disc games and for some strange reason feel intimidated by all optional internet-related features, you might like saving a few bucks, but it doesn't even seem much cheaper, and it doesn't look much smaller, either. Also, it's kind of weird looking. Seriously, the angles on the sides make it resemble an old phone answering machine. :|


Not quite. It looks exactly like the old cases of the Game & Watch
Image
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 15:35

WiFi would of been great, something about this being just a Virtual Console device would of been nice.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 15:38

Serebii wrote:
Jerome wrote:Well, I guess this thing isn't for me. I thought they were going to streamline the system, not rip core components out. They'd better not try to replace the older console with this gimped thing. I guess if you only want disc games and for some strange reason feel intimidated by all optional internet-related features, you might like saving a few bucks, but it doesn't even seem much cheaper, and it doesn't look much smaller, either. Also, it's kind of weird looking. Seriously, the angles on the sides make it resemble an old phone answering machine. :|


Not quite. It looks exactly like the old cases of the Game & Watch
Image

Okay, I didn't realize that. I still think it was a weird idea, though, as the angled protrusions give it a vaguely 70's/80's look, and also make the system's footprint bigger, which kind of counteracts the whole um, mini thing.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 15:43

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

*Is a UKer, so this divide between the US’ North, South and Canada eternally baffles him*

But I'm sure this won't stay in one part of the US for long :wink: - Canada is just seeing this first [for Christmas], for some reason.

I don't know if you're joking around, but Canada in not part of the US. Canada, the United States & Mexico are three different sovereign countries in the continent of North America.
User avatar
27 Nov 2012 15:48

I really like the way this guy looks. It feels like an old school videogame console. If I had all the money in the world, I'd get one. Cool to see Nintendo going back to the idea of turning their old consoles into budget consoles.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 15:52

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:@Chosenoneknuckles

Hideous? Maybe I just like the design because it's actually something different.

But agreed on the "wtf you doing this now?" mindset.


It just looks bizarre - a completely different colour scheme to the Wii [whom will always be remained for being another white console, even with the Black and special coloured editions out in its later life]. Looks like a SNES inspired Wii Fit Balance Board...

It stands out [great] from the Wii and Wii U - but it also barely looks relate-able to the former in the same vein. :?


emblemfire wrote:Thank god it's not coming out in the US. Think of all the bad parents who would mess up there children's' presents. "The Wii Mini is not the Wii U!!!"


*Is a UKer, so this divide between the US’ North, South and Canada eternally baffles him*

But I'm sure this won't stay in one part of the US for long :wink: - Canada is just seeing this first [for Christmas], for some reason.

Heck, my UK and Europe might see it in 2013 too.


Off-Topic: My Wii U Deluxe [NL] and NSMBU are ready to be dispatched tomorrow [just ZombiU left to be confirmed with them tonight] - so should have them on Thursday [probably]! :D

The way you're saying, it's as if you include the Canada as a US territory... When it's not.
User avatar
27 Nov 2012 16:07

chris_the_wing wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

*Is a UKer, so this divide between the US’ North, South and Canada eternally baffles him*

But I'm sure this won't stay in one part of the US for long :wink: - Canada is just seeing this first [for Christmas], for some reason.

I don't know if you're joking around, but Canada in not part of the US. Canada, the United States & Mexico are three different sovereign countries in the continent of North America.


8bit101 wrote:The way you're saying, it's as if you include the Canada as a US territory... When it's not.


Well, in my eyes guys, you're all the US [like England, Wales and Scotland make up my UK - no, I don't count Ireland as part of it].

But hey, the world sees you as three separate places [for some reason], so my opinion is null. *shrugs*
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 16:08

Oh, just thought of another thing. This isn't even really cheaper overall than the regular Wii. It might have a slightly lower price, but it doesn't come with any games.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 16:08

In Canada you can get a Wii (without gamecube support) with online, Wiimotion+, Soundtrack CD, & NSMBW for $149.99. NSMBW on it's own in Canada is $59.99, so the already existing Wii bundle in Canada is a better price for a more full featured system. This Wii Mini seems like it's for collectors & people who don't know any better.

Edit: Does Wii Mini have an SD card slot, I'd guess not.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 16:15

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

Well, in my eyes guys, you're all the US [like England, Wales and Scotland make up my UK - no, I don't count Ireland as part of it].

But hey, the world sees you as three separate places [for some reason], so my opinion is null. *shrugs*

The world see's us as three different places because we are three different places. Do you not know what sovereign nation means? You must be so confused during the Olympics.
User avatar
27 Nov 2012 16:20

chris_the_wing wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

Well, in my eyes guys, you're all the US [like England, Wales and Scotland make up my UK - no, I don't count Ireland as part of it].

But hey, the world sees you as three separate places [for some reason], so my opinion is null. *shrugs*

The world see's us as three different places because we are three different places. Do you not know what sovereign nation means? You must be so confused during the Olympics.


Nope [nor do I care to]. And nope.

I just don't see why you're regarded as three physically separate places when you aren't not physically separate. Just seems schizo, imho [which, as aforementioned, means nothing here].

You're one [divided] nation in my eyes. Always will be.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 16:28

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:
chris_the_wing wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

Well, in my eyes guys, you're all the US [like England, Wales and Scotland make up my UK - no, I don't count Ireland as part of it].

But hey, the world sees you as three separate places [for some reason], so my opinion is null. *shrugs*

The world see's us as three different places because we are three different places. Do you not know what sovereign nation means? You must be so confused during the Olympics.


Nope [nor do I care to]. And nope.

I just don't see why you're regarded as three physically separate places when you aren't not physically separate. Just seems abit backwards, imho [which, as aforementioned, means nothing here].

("aren't not" is a double negative.) So Russia, Kazakhstan & China should be grouped together because they touch? Don't worry though, be proud of your ignorance.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 18:41

Chosenoneknuckles wrote:
chris_the_wing wrote:
Chosenoneknuckles wrote:

Well, in my eyes guys, you're all the US [like England, Wales and Scotland make up my UK - no, I don't count Ireland as part of it].

But hey, the world sees you as three separate places [for some reason], so my opinion is null. *shrugs*

The world see's us as three different places because we are three different places. Do you not know what sovereign nation means? You must be so confused during the Olympics.


Nope [nor do I care to]. And nope.

I just don't see why you're regarded as three physically separate places when you aren't not physically separate. Just seems schizo, imho [which, as aforementioned, means nothing here].

You're one [divided] nation in my eyes. Always will be.
So basically u choose to live by your ignorance? Carry on mate! No one shall take you seriously now.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 18:50

only the collectors will buy this. 100 dollars for that pile of junk? I can get normal wii's for that much these days, with wii sports resort included!!! Worst thing ever, lol.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 19:07

Walmart's currently offering non-gimped Wii systems for $89. Makes the gutted new version not look so hot (not that it did anyway).

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... 33&veh=aff
User avatar
27 Nov 2012 19:24

I posted this in a different post about the Wii mini but I think it belongs here more. So with that.

It's amazing to me how many people, both here, and especially all over the interwebs still read news like this and think only of themselves and how it relates to them and not the bigger picture at hand. Nintendo is still in business as a hardware and software maker for a reason. They study the market, they know ways to continue to extract every last viable amount of income from the consumer to help their bottom line.

This isn't directed at or for informed gamers, this is for the casual crowd who even the previous gamecube-less Wii downgrade just wasn't for at that price. This is basically the bottom of the barrel entry level system for anybody who just wants a cheap unit for the games that came out for the Wii over the course of it's six year tenure. Nothing more.

Translation to everything I just said: It's a business and Nintendo knows how to stay in business. It'll be cheap as hell to produce to boot. This is a smart business decision. Period.
No Avatar
27 Nov 2012 19:29

NO online capabilities? Don't most people that would be interested in a Wii at this point want it for Netflix? What is the angle with this thing? Or is it just more stupidity like the Game Boy Micro?

And are there any other angles of it?
User avatar
27 Nov 2012 19:46

Fish wrote:NO online capabilities? Don't most people that would be interested in a Wii at this point want it for Netflix? What is the angle with this thing? Or is it just more stupidity like the Game Boy Micro?

And are there any other angles of it?


Probably for the people still amounting 300k Wii sales recently [who probably don't care for any of the titles with online].

A very budget system [with a range of titles], which will allow Nintendo to close the Wii Shop down in the future [and put more of it's resources into the other eStores], whilst still selling Wii's and Wii U's.

Just my two pounds.
User avatar
27 Nov 2012 20:07

No, this isn't what I was expecting.

They could have sold it as a Netflix/Hulu/Youtube box that plays those "popular Wii games that Opra was talking bout".
No Avatar
28 Nov 2012 01:15

Under the right circumstances I can see this being an awesome modded portable.
No Avatar
28 Nov 2012 07:31

FrenchFryGuy wrote:I posted this in a different post about the Wii mini but I think it belongs here more. So with that.

It's amazing to me how many people, both here, and especially all over the interwebs still read news like this and think only of themselves and how it relates to them and not the bigger picture at hand. Nintendo is still in business as a hardware and software maker for a reason. They study the market, they know ways to continue to extract every last viable amount of income from the consumer to help their bottom line.

This isn't directed at or for informed gamers, this is for the casual crowd who even the previous gamecube-less Wii downgrade just wasn't for at that price. This is basically the bottom of the barrel entry level system for anybody who just wants a cheap unit for the games that came out for the Wii over the course of it's six year tenure. Nothing more.

Translation to everything I just said: It's a business and Nintendo knows how to stay in business. It'll be cheap as @#!*% to produce to boot. This is a smart business decision. Period.

Your point is basically negated by the simple fact that Nintendo could have easily released the current system without any games included for the same price, as it's currently selling for $30 more with two games. For that matter, they have been recently selling the current system by itself for only $89. Customers aren't benefitting since they're getting a system with useful features removed (including compatibility with a lot of software) for no real discount overall. The only party benefiting here is Nintendo, since they've gutted the system of any and every thing they could get away with, and have therefore made it slightly more profitable for themselves. I don't see how, as any kind of customer, I'm supposed to be impressed, unless I'm a big fan of dual-tone color schemes.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 20:32

@Jerome

You just further proved my point, not negate it. Nintendo is a "business". They are thinking about their bottom line, not the customers. It's another option and a simplified one for people who don't care about anything beyond popping a game in and pressing power and playing. It's also cheaper to mass produce. It's a smart "business" decision.
User avatar
28 Nov 2012 21:52

I think this might confuse people even further about "which was the new console Nintendo just release?".. But that's me
No Avatar
29 Nov 2012 07:08

FrenchFryGuy wrote:
Nintendo is a "business". They are thinking about their bottom line, not the customers.

Maybe, but since I am in fact a customer, and not concerned with the company's bottom line above all else, I think this move is pretty crummy. This view should be perfectly understandable, so my question is, why are you seeming to advocate a move that is by your own admission putting the company's bottom line over their consideration of customers? Are you not a customer? Do you own Nintendo stock or something?

FrenchFryGuy wrote:It's another option and a simplified one for people who don't care about anything beyond popping a game in and pressing power and playing.

You just said they weren't doing this for their customers, but now you're trying to point out how they're being considerate. For one thing, it isn't simplifying the experience in any appreciable way to remove options that are completely unobtrusive and never get in anyone's way. For another, they're probably not going to keep a $129 full-featured system with bundled games, and a $99 gimped, game-less system on the market at the same time. This will become the new main SKU. You can like this decision for whatever strange reason you like, but that doesn't mean others are silly or ignorant for disagreeing.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way