Goriginal Content

Fantasy Life review

EoD - Instagram fun

Xeodrifter diary #12

GN Podcast #479

EoD - Wii U holiday

EoD - Smash online
 

UK tabloids point to Call of Duty, Dynasty Warriors in Sandy Hook school shooting



I understand that people want answers for why this terrible event happened. I completely get that. Unfortunately, that's not the way the world works. You can't always sum up everything with a simple explanation. Answers don't always come in a neat, little package. Blaming games for this event and not considering the mental state of the shooter is a gross overreaction.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
39 total comments (View all)
User avatar
18 Dec 2012 15:46

How about having stronger gun control laws and a mental health care system that's not a joke?
User avatar
18 Dec 2012 16:23

@AnoukiAgentYellow This.

@MrGameBoy And this. Shame TPTB over in the US won't take the time, effort and money to invest in either anytime soon [if ever - easier to just keep their heads in the sandpit].

Civilians shouldn't have access to firearms period, IMHO.
No Avatar
18 Dec 2012 17:07

Like people have said, this isn't a newspaper that gives people a service of delivering them the news, but just something that write its own random crap on whatever it likes to get as many sales as possible, like many "news" outlets in the west. It's quite disgusting.
No Avatar
18 Dec 2012 17:40

I for one find it ironic that when a person within the game industry like Warren Spector complains about the prevalence of violent video games everyone on this site can't help but agree with him, but when a tragedy like this happens and some of the media blames violent video games you all suddenly act like video games are the victims here.
No Avatar
Anonymous
18 Dec 2012 17:57

I'm sorry until people learn how to properly type and not rant on like a loon your opinion is invalid.

Go back to your soapbox on a corner and rant about how the world is ending this week.
No Avatar
18 Dec 2012 17:58

Please, USA, remove the right to bear firearms. Like here in Europe. That will be much better.
User avatar
18 Dec 2012 18:34

JumpmanFR wrote:Please, USA, remove the right to bear firearms. Like here in Europe. That will be much better.

It's a little too late for that, nobody's going to want to give up what they already have.

---

As for the articles... sad. :(
User avatar
18 Dec 2012 18:43

godie11 wrote:And what about the fact that the mother had guns at their house and the other fact that his mother took him to a shooting range to learn how to use them...


I have guns in my house, and my mother took me to shooting ranges since I was young... maybe you should mention that they had a freakin' armory and his mother was a mentally insane.
No Avatar
Anonymous
18 Dec 2012 18:54

midorigreen wrote:I for one find it ironic that when a person within the game industry like Warren Spector complains about the prevalence of violent video games everyone on this site can't help but agree with him, but when a tragedy like this happens and some of the media blames violent video games you all suddenly act like video games are the victims here.


It's not ironic if you understand the difference between what Spector says and what the media is saying. People agree with Spector because his message is that there's more to video games than games that rely on violence, meanwhile people are disagree with the media because it's using video games as the scapegoat for the actions of a disturbed and dangerous individual.
User avatar
18 Dec 2012 19:14

There was a shooting in the 90s where a kid killed 2 and injured about 7 then made his way to a junior high where he was met by an armed principal who stopped him from committing more casualties. So lets stop pointing fingers.
User avatar
18 Dec 2012 19:15

Oh look, more of the lame blame game of whatever's popular amongst the demographic of the perpetrators. Let's not focus on the very evident and confirmed personality disorder the individual had or the fact that his own brother and father wanted nothing to do with him because they were flatout frightened of him and subsequently hadn't spoken to him in 2 years. Yeah, it's the videogames themselves that are to blame, not the individual who just happened to play videogames as do most people between the ages of 18-34 these days most of whom obviously aren't out shooting up their local schools and malls.
User avatar
18 Dec 2012 19:32

Just like the video games weren't part of the problem, the guns weren't either.
No Avatar
18 Dec 2012 20:50

Having the government come in to my home and forcibly confiscate the firearm I have strictly for last ditch personal defense within my house ain't the answer.

Anyway, to the people who are talking about violence in media and its effects, please list your action items. Please tell us the changes you would make if you could, including where you would draw all the lines.
User avatar
18 Dec 2012 23:13

Nothing quite like a foreign newspaper taking advantage of a bunch of people being massacred by a mass murderer to make you realize that the people who are in charge of the media infrastructure don't care about you, outside of your pocketbook.

Seriously, most media outlets barely has a soul. The Sun doesn't have a soul at all. The magazine is from a lifeless, evil, twisted reality that is meant to do one thing: create controversy (like gossip magazines) and call it "news."
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 00:33

Jerome wrote:I'm not going to say that violent videogames, movies, TV shows, etc. make people go out and become mass murderers, because obviously a lot of people take in these kinds of content and don't do such things. Doesn't it concern anyone, however, that we keep seeing the same exact same pattern recurring in schools, malls, and other places of public gathering?

Namely:

- A young to middle-aged male goes into such a public place, armed to the teeth.

- That person then commences to shoot and/or kill several victims, after which they commit suicide.

- It is invariably found afterwards that they were something of a loner, and often shut themselves in, spending much of their time taking in violent and possibly subversive media.

Yes, these guys had unusual problems, but acting as if taking in lots of very violent content had nothing to do with their crimes is just being silly. At the very least it shows that these things can help push an already troubled person over the edge.


you are wrong in many levels, way before call of duty, or videogames, troubled minds didnt need media to be pushed , they usually started with little animals, then bigger, there has been many cases of public shootings this century , before than videogames and particularly in the US . Why is that?before videogames it was books then?blame tolkien?
Seriously, the best possibility is that cod pushed this young mind a day sooner than it would have in the 50s. Hell many murderers and psychopaths dont even like videogames but when they do, it doesnt make any difference.
You used a soldiers example. Sorry you are comparing psychopaths to normal people. Its still jarring for many soldiers to fire at other people but it was never and never will be , to those who from childbirth have no remorse from taking human life or arent taught to respect by their families at very least.
Asuming (which i think is horribly wrong) than videogames push crazy people to do what they are gonna do anyway, what are you gonna do? Ban all violent videogames from all people?or run tests on buyers to see if they are fit? I would rather have a minority reportesque system than blaming videogames if you ask me.Crazy people exist, believe it or not, and they have killed before videogames.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 06:12

Ten-country comparison suggests there’s little or no link between video games and gun murders

Twelve facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States

We banned handgun ownership in the UK in 1997 - everyone had to hand in their weapons. It's possible, you guys just don't want to change.

The real problem is you all have free access to deadly weapons. Just look at the rest of the world and you'd see that.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 07:41

And how do you institute and enforce a mass confiscation of the hundreds of millions of guns from the tens of millions of lawful owners? At gunpoint?
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 08:48

Sammet wrote:Ten-country comparison suggests there’s little or no link between video games and gun murders

Twelve facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States

We banned handgun ownership in the UK in 1997 - everyone had to hand in their weapons. It's possible, you guys just don't want to change.

The real problem is you all have free access to deadly weapons. Just look at the rest of the world and you'd see that.

This. I also am loooking at this matter from the outside and I can't believe that some of you are defending your current weapon laws. Americans sure are crazy.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 09:20

And you think the way our current weapon laws should change is for the government to forcibly confiscate hundreds of millions of firearms? There's some sensible gun control for ya. Make overnight felons out of 120 million people who've heretofore had the right to responsibly own a firearm guaranteed by the founding document unless they capitulate. What do you think the chances of that succeeding are?

It's comments like these that will get *NOTHING* done. Same old extreme absolutism. Well done.

Try understanding that different countries are different instead of insisting it's your way or the highway. Let's look at a number of reality-based, sensible, firm but not absurd or draconian measures.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 10:04

kevynwight wrote:And you think the way our current weapon laws should change is for the government to forcibly confiscate hundreds of millions of firearms? There's some sensible gun control for ya. Make overnight felons out of 120 million people who've heretofore had the right to responsibly own a firearm guaranteed by the founding document unless they capitulate. What do you think the chances of that succeeding are?

It's comments like these that will get *NOTHING* done. Same old extreme absolutism. Well done.

Try understanding that different countries are different instead of insisting it's your way or the highway. Let's look at a number of reality-based, sensible, firm but not absurd or draconian measures.

About your whole answer, if that's the best excuse you can come up with, then that's pretty sad. I don't care if those 120 million people got their guns legally or not, the fact is that it's sick one way or the other, and nothing you say will change my mind about it. There being no easy way around it shouldn't be an impediment to try to work towards a goal (otherwise countries would NEVER progress, like in, there would still be slavery, women wouldn't be citizens, etc.).

Also what I bolded is a very hypocritical thing for an American to say. See: all of history.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 13:50

@Mirai:
so the reason we all agree to live in this violent society (because if we all decide to do nothing to change our own violent nature, then we're agreeing to stay the same) is because of the emotion someone else assigns to the words which i wrote? i'm not attempting to "get on any soapbox," thank you very much. i'm simply expressing my own personal self about a topic that has been recurring for over ten years, that never actually gets dealt with because whenever a person brings up said topic, he's put down for getting on his "soapbox." by marginalizing my post, a person only accomplishes continuing their own personal ignorance to a problem that they personally help create. let me ask you this, since i know there's trouble figuring out why buying such garbage degrades us all: if nike makes a pair of shoes in a sweatshop in uraguay, and people are tortured and sometimes maimed or killed because of horrible work conditions, and the american public at large is ONLY concerned with the monetary price of shoes, and these shoes are both the cheapest and highest selling, does not the american public bear some of the responsibility of the actions of nike? isn't it only because of demand that a product is sold? now look at our demand for violence in our games. MANY people won't even consider buying a game that doesn't include realistic and violent graphics. think about that. seriously. how can anyone not see that it's us that is violent and that we are choosing to express that violence in not only our play, but our societal interactions as well.

as for dismissing my words on whatever basis you choose... i might point out that it's impossible for me to decide with what conviction you read my words. i can't choose to whisper it, or yell it. i can only write it down. YOU ARE deciding what context YOU put to my words. this is something i have absolutely NO control over. so basically your telling me that my idea may be good, but you (personally) aren't able to see any merit in it because you (personally) infer some emotion (which is really inside of you, not within my words) that was never intended to begin with. YOU'RE THE ONE PUTTING IT THERE! so i must say again: ignorance isn't bliss, it's just ignorance. and everyone suffers because of the ignorance of a few, so how many must suffer for the ignorance of the many? i'm simply stating that the overwhelming opinion about this from "the gaming community" (you guys aren't really a community, btw) is to simply ignore the problem. and why? because you can't bear a minor change in your hobby.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 15:10

The book QBQ comes to mind for me. Personal accountability is all that is necessary. You can't any kind of media for the way its audience reacts to it. Personal accountability determines an individuals response to the media they absorb. Reward and punishment, and a conscience for that matter, contribute substantially to this.
No Avatar
Anonymous
19 Dec 2012 17:38

Dude thinks I'm actually going to respond to him. Stew in your own muck.
No Avatar
20 Dec 2012 00:08

Light_Wolf wrote:...the fact is that it's sick one way or the other, and nothing you say will change my mind about it...
You're a peach. Why would anything you say mean a thing to me either. Ba bye...

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way