Goriginal Content

EoD - Come back, SF

EoD - Come back, F-0

GN Podcast #453

Cult County chat!

EoD - Missed chance?

EoD - Waluigi time?
 

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - How does Nintendo fix its Wii U problem?



Is Christmas really coming up next week? I better start getting some presents! It's amazing how quickly time flies when you're working! I sure hope you guys and gals are ready for the holiday season. If you don't celebrate, I hope you are looking forward to time off! See you in a few, short hours.

Back when Nintendo first announced the Wii U to the public via E3, there was confusion. Even members of the press were trying to figure out whether Wii U was a brand-new system or just a controller add-on for the Wii itself. Nintendo acknowledged this issue shortly after E3, stating that they knew they had to work to fix this.

Here we are ALL the way after launch, with Nintendo having over a year to overcome this issue, yet it still seems they are in the same position. Hardly a week passes by where someone doesn't misunderstand what the Wii U is. Consumers are as confused as ever as to what the Wii U package entails.

Why is Nintendo still fighting this issue? There are a number of reasons that could play into it. Perhaps advertising isn't accurately detailing just what the Wii U is. Maybe it's the console's name itself that is confusing people. Could a change from Wii U to Wii 2 do away with all these misunderstandings?

What do you think Nintendo can do in order to tackle this issue? It's certain that the Big N has to do something to clear up what the Wii U is. If you had the opportunity to set things straight, what would you do to put the system back on a forward-moving path? Leave a comment and let us know.

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
55 total comments (View all)
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 11:45

@Mike_Intellivision

The first thing you said, I think it has to do with how mobile games appear on every phone and even web browsers, and there are a lot of console games that appear on every platforn in some way. I guess these people dont understand exclusivity :?
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 11:46

mattiserman wrote:Late night infomercials. That carves out a half-hour of time for Nintendo to carefully and accurately describe what the console is as well as how it is new and different.

Additionally, Nintendo should release Clubhouse Games U that comes pre-installed on the console and is free for current owners. Emphasize the online play with the title including video chat and make a 3DS version that is cross-platform compatible. This game would entice the lonely folks who often watch the late night stuff as well as the casuals.


I would love to see a Clubhouse Games for the Wii U
unfortunately, I don't know whether or not the DS original was a flop in the US to even consider it
Perhaps a game like Ouendan for the Wii U would do

but on the bright side, We have Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball 2 coming to Wii U's eShop - those are worth waiting for


as for Paid Programming, I say NO
Perhaps more Nintendo Directs would suffice as Paid Programming has become a vein of airspace for a long while
Paid Programming was the 1st Achilles's heel for G4 after all - keep that in mind
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 11:48

The only thing I find confusing is this "problem". The only people writing articles about being confused clearly already know what it is, as do everyone leaving comments. All the faux concern just comes off as extremely condescending. If you're at all interested in buying one, you'll find out pretty quick either A) when you, you know, want one and therefore know what it is, or B) will find out pretty quick when you go to the store to pick one up.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:08

VinceFox wrote:
as for Paid Programming, I say NO
Perhaps more Nintendo Directs would suffice as Paid Programming has become a vein of airspace for a long while
Paid Programming was the 1st Achilles's heel for G4 after all - keep that in mind


Nintendo Directs only reach those who already know about the product. Infomercials reach a much larger audience.

I don't understand your point about G4. So what if infomercials ruined the network? That is completely immaterial to the matter under discussion. Infomercials work. They move product. And, in the case of the Wii U, an infomercial is an excellent opportunity to thoroughly explain the product.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:26

I still stand by the fact that Nintendo should make a quick comparison chart between Wii and Wii U. A line in the middle separates the consoles, controllers and discs (and maybe even some in-game screenshots) side by side with some small explanations of the key differences. That or the method they use in Wikipedia where there's a list of the features on the left and the systems on the right and there's a "yes" in green if it has those features or a "no" in red.

If I don't see something like this soon enough, I will make the thing myself and spam it as much as possible. Maybe the audiences are stupid, but there's NO WAY they can miss something as black and white as a comparison chart... no way.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:32

Nintendo did a poor job describing what the Wii U is. Its a bad name. The console itself is amazing, but many many dumb people in the public will never figure it out.

It says a lot of about the level of awareness of the average person, and it actually scares me a little.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:38

It's a tough one, because it's the controls that set the system apart, and once the next Xbox/PS3 hits the Wii U's graphics aren't going to be a selling point at all anymore, so you can't focus on them that much...

...that said, you can't completely ignore the graphics. HD graphics are a big part of what you're paying for. I think they need a new campaign that really focuses in on the graphics. Show a particularly dull level from NSMB Wii then jump to some of the prettiest levels from NSMB U. Compare footage of the original Pikmin to new Pikmin 3 footage.

For the next year they should really hammer on the graphics -- then once next Xbox/PS3 come out, switch focus to the GamePad again.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:40

Doesn't matter how much effort Nintendo puts into advertising or how many times they scream "NEW CONSOLE"...there will always be more people out there who just don't get it.

metalpants wrote:Maybe the audiences are stupid, but there's NO WAY they can miss something as black and white as a comparison chart... no way.


You'd be surprised.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:42

I think Nintendo should make a commercial that actually states what comes in the packaging. I.e., they should say something like "a brand new console and all new controller design" or something like that. Only "hardcore" gamers (as in those who play games on a regular basis) really know what the Wii U is (a new console with a new controller). :p

I think it was partially Nintendo's fault because they revealed the Wii U at E3 a couple years back and they only really showed the controller so everyone thought it was just the controller.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:42

Guys, this is all about the kind of audience the original Wii brought in. Kinect as well. People that are interested in those types of gaming things are only interested in those very specific gaming items. They do not care about anything else gaming related, so when they see "Wii U" they think "oh, like Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Wii Play before it, the Wii U also is for Wii". It's not that hard to see why casual mainstream "gamers" would think that way.

Wii U is for the core Nintendo fan and gamer. The mainstream is just struggling with it right now. Give it a year.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:45

NorthbyNorthWest wrote:It's a tough one, because it's the controls that set the system apart, and once the next Xbox/PS3 hits the Wii U's graphics aren't going to be a selling point at all anymore, so you can't focus on them that much...

...that said, you can't completely ignore the graphics. HD graphics are a big part of what you're paying for. I think they need a new campaign that really focuses in on the graphics. Show a particularly dull level from NSMB Wii then jump to some of the prettiest levels from NSMB U. Compare footage of the original Pikmin to new Pikmin 3 footage.

For the next year they should really hammer on the graphics -- then once next Xbox/PS3 come out, switch focus to the GamePad again.


Emphasizing on the graphics won't help because there is not a SINGLE game on the market right now or that's been announced that looks more visually impressive than the most visually impressive games on the HD twins... NONE! Until such games are announced, there's no point in putting the advertising emphasis on the graphics.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:47

bszelda wrote:I think Nintendo should make a commercial that actually states what comes in the packaging. I.e., they should say something like "a brand new console and all new controller design" or something like that. Only "hardcore" gamers (as in those who play games on a regular basis) really know what the Wii U is (a new console with a new controller). :p

I think it was partially Nintendo's fault because they revealed the Wii U at E3 a couple years back and they only really showed the controller so everyone thought it was just the controller.


It's NOA's fault actually, cause here in the UK the ads clearly state - A BRAND NEW CONSOLE! And that's within the first 3 - 4 seconds....
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 12:53

Honestly at this point I would be ok with Nintendo bringing out a totally different console in a couple years and starting over. I'm not trying to sound rude, I just haven't been impressed with the hardware or controller's overall concept. I don't see it being all that ground breaking like Wii was. It also seems pretty under powered which will be an issue with 3rd party support in a year or so.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 13:05

TheBitBlock wrote:Honestly at this point I would be ok with Nintendo bringing out a totally different console in a couple years and starting over. I'm not trying to sound rude, I just haven't been impressed with the hardware or controller's overall concept. I don't see it being all that ground breaking like Wii was. It also seems pretty under powered which will be an issue with 3rd party support in a year or so.


It's an issue with 3rd party support RIGHT NOW anyway... Remember when Riccitello from EA came out on stage during the 2011 E3 and said, oh we're bringing this, and that, and online, and origin, and battlefield, and bla bla bla bla... Somewhere down the road things got messy...
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 13:25

I don't think advertising's necessarily the problem, since they say the Brand New Wii U console clearly. I think a big problem is the fact that from afar both consoles look too similar. No one would mistake an Xbox from an Xbox 360 because they clearly look different. I think not even the Wii Remotes are a problem, since the PlayStation has been using the same controller for 3 generations.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 13:57

I think NOA is to blame here with its rather hyperactive commercial that's dumbed down to show just the shines. A second or even third variety of commercials that are more in-depth for the brainier crowd would be great. That said, I think the Japanese marketing team did it best by calling it the Super Wii. Everybody remembers the difference between the NES and the Super NES. The moment you add the 'Super', people seem to understand better.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 14:17

TopCat wrote:
NorthbyNorthWest wrote:It's a tough one, because it's the controls that set the system apart, and once the next Xbox/PS3 hits the Wii U's graphics aren't going to be a selling point at all anymore, so you can't focus on them that much...

...that said, you can't completely ignore the graphics. HD graphics are a big part of what you're paying for. I think they need a new campaign that really focuses in on the graphics. Show a particularly dull level from NSMB Wii then jump to some of the prettiest levels from NSMB U. Compare footage of the original Pikmin to new Pikmin 3 footage.

For the next year they should really hammer on the graphics -- then once next Xbox/PS3 come out, switch focus to the GamePad again.


Emphasizing on the graphics won't help because there is not a SINGLE game on the market right now or that's been announced that looks more visually impressive than the most visually impressive games on the HD twins... NONE! Until such games are announced, there's no point in putting the advertising emphasis on the graphics.


Doesn't matter -- it just matters that it has games that look better than the Wii. The point is to show that this is an improvement over the Wii in terms of hardware power, not just a new controller. Comparisons to the Xbox/PS3 don't matter right now.
No Avatar
19 Dec 2012 14:40

Well I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Germany I've seen several ads and leaflets that all read "Wii U - The New Console From Nintendo Is Here". Can't imagine anyone misunderstanding that.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 14:49

I can understand some non-gamers not getting it, but when the gaming media didn't get it after Nintendo said it was a NEW CONSOLE and showed stuff like the Garden Demo at E3 11 I was speechless (for a short time) at the GAMING media. How can these people not pay attention? I bet half, if not more, of the readers here could do better!

Now how they can fix the problem, I would say as many have stated above: Advertisement. And within that just use the phrase "Next-gen console with HD graphics and awesome online support" bla bla... And add on some the games that actually look great and appeal to the so called hardcore gamer like ZombiU, AC3 and eventually Rayman etc, but also keep it woth the just dance and Nintendo land stuff. At neat little commercial with all this advertised at the correct time would, I think, be very good!

And to those who say Wii U is a crappy console with a crappy controller: Grow up, try it out and take of those fanboy glasses. Or at least wait a year and see what games look and play like then!
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 14:50

Laice Aterna wrote:Well I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Germany I've seen several ads and leaflets that all read "Wii U - The New Console From Nintendo Is Here". Can't imagine anyone misunderstanding that.


I see that here in Norway too. Guess that isn't the case everywhere!

HAst du spass mit dein Wii U? :)
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 15:29

Perhaps the problem lies within the sad state of gaming itself

- Majority support only games with violence, death, bouncy lady parts, naughty bits, guns, sports and colors ranging from black, white, grey and brown and let original IPs and quirky games fail and potential imports fail to see US release
- Gamers today are too spoiled
- Nintendo will never win hardcore gamers over (the harder they try, the more the hardcore gamers complain)

[to mods and others: sorry if these sound harsh and 'offensive' but you can't deny these facts]

If Nintendo needs to fix the Wii U's current state
they need to
1. Improve the Wii U's devkits to please 3rd party companies
2. Persuade Indy game makers to make games for the Wii U (they convinced FarSight so that's a start)
3. Make a commercial SO over the top that core gamers will come to them
4. With the TVii service launching tomorrow, the Big N must convince cable and satellite providers to join and let their DVR services be part of Nintendo TVii as an option
5. a ND defining how different Wii U is to the Wii
6. Surprise us with maybe a EBA game for the Wii U or a legit WarioWare title for the Wii U
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 15:32

They need a very clear cut advertisement campaign that shows the old Wii system and content side by side with the Wii U system and content. I would probably use Mario sound effects such as the mushroom growing with smart advertisement. Preferably a Mushroom sound when showing a direct visual upgrade from the Wii console to the Wii U console, then one for on the screen with NSMB Wii to NSMB U, and then finally one adding in a Nintendo employee or an advertisement persona brought about just for Nintendo commercials holding a Wii U pad. Then show them playing NSMB U and a few other TV friendly games to show off this isn't the same system. Maybe even have an mushroom upgrade sound from the CCP to the Pro Controller.

joshb1983 wrote:It's not all Nintendo's fault. Their biggest mistake has been underestimating how stupid people are.


This^
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 21:14

Similar console design, similar name, focusing on the gameplay approach (Upad) without much focus on the new console, same line of look-a-like Wii series games.

Seems like all the intentional things Nintendo did to try to sell the WiiU to the same casual audience that bought the Wii back fired on them.
User avatar
19 Dec 2012 22:39

Just promote the Wii U better with a better TV Spot focusing less on the people and more on the Wii U console and Wii U Gamepad themselves. Also promote the backwards compatibility of the system to show that it still plays your Wii Games, Your Wiiware Games and your favorite and mine the Virtual Console games as well.
User avatar
20 Dec 2012 15:19

Strange thing that the 3DS and the Wii U are having a similar problem with the casual market. Most of my non-gamers friend think:
1) The 3DS is "like a normal DS but in 3D".
2) "The Wii U is a special tablet for the Wii".
Nintendo reallly needs to fix this confusion as soon as possible. The ads need to improve... I suggest something like this:

"I'm not a gamer and my Wii U controller doesn't work on my Wii!!"
"I'm not a gamer and I can't turn on the 3D mode on my DS!!"
^_^

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way