Goriginal Content

EoD - Instagram fun

GN Podcast #484

EoD - Happy release!

EoD - Too big & loud

Smash Wii U review

Adventure Time rev
 

RUMOR - Used Wii Us allow you to download games the previous owners purchased?

Good for those buying preowned if true, bad for those trading in! We're hearing that it is possible to re-download games that the previous owner purchased online, even through a different Nintendo Network ID. This would mean game downloads are tied to system, not NNID. Anyone else out there able to verify this? Thanks to Dim for the heads up!

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
38 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
03 Jan 2013 20:57

This isn't true. The titles you download are indeed tied to your account. It's just that anyone who creates an account on the same console can redownload them if necessary.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 21:00

Gotta love how Nintendo still doesn't understand this whole "Internet" thing.
No Avatar
Anonymous
03 Jan 2013 21:02

LDAF wrote:
OmicronTurtle wrote:Hey Nintendo, look at the PSN, look at XBL, look at iTunes. See the way the purchases are tied to the account and not the system? Why can't you just do what everyone else is doing? It works and is best for the consumer.


But that's not INNOVATIVE and FRESH! :lol:

Clearly being innovative and fresh applies to their hardware and games, and not so much their software or business sides.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 21:06

Dogglord wrote:This isn't true. The titles you download are indeed tied to your account. It's just that anyone who creates an account on the same console can redownload them if necessary.

The system was wiped, the original account was deleted before repurchasing the console, yet the guy was able to redownload trine and nano assault for free (not play right away, redownload them). Purchases must be tied to both the system and the account.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 21:14

This is very bad news for Nintendo.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 21:20

Nintendo...I love you...but...you're entire f***ing company needs to get over itself.
No Avatar
03 Jan 2013 21:50

It will be the same policy as Wii. Going to bite another generation in the ass. Had to mod my console to salvage my several hundred dollars worth of purchases when I was out of warranty.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 22:03

Well I never intended to share my downloaded games with someone else, so it's ok for me that they are tied to the console.

There are also rumors (sony actually patented this) that sony tries to use NFC for ps4 to tie discs with the first console they are used on to stop the renting of games.

So I guess we should start getting used to be unable to share games with others.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 22:10

grcpan wrote:Well I never intended to share my downloaded games with someone else, so it's ok for me that they are tied to the console.

There are also rumors (sony actually patented this) that sony tries to use NFC for ps4 to tie discs with the first console they are used on to stop the renting of games.

So I guess we should start getting used to be unable to share games with others.


This isn't about sharing games, and the Sony patent is to prevent used games to work on a console (rented games too, but primarily used games)
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 22:12

@OmicronTurtle

Well from what we know it is possible to transfer downloadable games from one console to another if there is a need for that (broken WiiU for example), so what other problem would this cause other than being unable to share the games with others?

I don't think that Nintendo wouldn't help you if you wanted to transfer your games to a new WiiU. It would certainly be more tiresome than other consoles but it is doable. Changing a console for a new one without the first one breaking or something ain't that common anyway.

When you sell your WiiU to another person you should just make sure that you also charge extra for the included games. But then again when you sell a console you usually also sell its games with it, so it is not such a big deal.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 22:13

MoldyClay wrote:@bszelda

If you sold your Wii U, why would you be buying it again in the first place? Especially if you sold it after a month. You're clearly not going to want those games back.


I know of several people who have purchased a Wii in the past and then a year or so later repurchased the console due to a new game coming out that they are interested in. If they were to buy a Wii U console now and resell it in a month or so, then repurchase when the new Zelda game comes out or whatever, they would be in a surprise when they will no longer be able to access any games that they had spent money on. Imagine paying $200+ on a bunch of digital games and then come back to the system further down the road to find that you foolishly gave up those games when you sold the console.

Anyway, I still think that Nintendo needs to remedy this somehow rather than doing everything in such a strange way. An account that keeps track of purchases would be ideal for this situation, rather than just locking the purchases to a sole console.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 23:03

Isnt the Wii like this already? I dont see that big of an issue, if your system breaks and you send it to Nintendo to get repaired they replace your games.

I fail to see a reason to sell your system only to repurchase it later. Money issues? umm . . . . yeah priorities, or perhaps try selling other goods before selling something like this. Why spend extra money if its something you would want to use later? Just hold on to the damn thing good lord the hundred bucks a pawn shop will give you isnt worth it if your just going to want it again.

Sides, are they selling it to a game store? Good lord they lost a lot of money. Selling it on craigslist hopefully they could get some compensation for the downloads. . . .

Makes me think tho, what kind of person buys a 300 or plus game system, downloads a game or two at 60 a pop, maybe a controller or cable or what have you, only to turn around and sell it. . . . . THEN wants all that same stuff back. . . . .

Im more interested in the gripes than the "rumor" TBH. As I dont see myself selling my Wii U (or Wii for that matter) any time soon, I intend on holding on to something I put hard earned money into.

Plus, on the other side, untill some retailers catch wind I guess nows a good time to get a used WiiU ... might be a little extra freebie for ya.
No Avatar
03 Jan 2013 23:26

lol I had a feeling this same issue would occur with the Wii U, a cousin of mine bought a used Wii years ago and was able to re-download at least 10+ games tied to the system
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 23:32

I still don't understand why this is such a big deal...especially if you can use your NNID to retrieve your data. :/
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 23:35

If true, that is wild.
User avatar
03 Jan 2013 23:43

Mango_Magician wrote:I still don't understand why this is such a big deal...especially if you can use your NNID to retrieve your data. :/



It's not a huge deal, but it's kinda funny that Nintendo can put in a region lock to "stop piracy" but then have a system that allows people to essentially download game without paying for them.
No Avatar
04 Jan 2013 00:31

so the NNID is only useful for data mining by nintendo.
User avatar
04 Jan 2013 01:18

@MoldyClay You're forgetting that gamers have an attention span the size of a microbe. I can't count how many times you would see people comment on mainstream sites about how they wish they hadn't sold their Wii EVERY time a game of even the least amount of interest came along.
User avatar
04 Jan 2013 02:28

The joke has probably already been made but at least nintendo aren't blocking used games.
User avatar
04 Jan 2013 03:18

i love how everyone is freaking out over the lack of nnid "accounts" right now. you all are right, if you don't get what you want right now, then it is probably never going to happen!
User avatar
04 Jan 2013 09:22

games are tied to your system and your account. no big deal. it just means that anything you downloaded can be played by someone else on your wii u. the 360 is just like this as well.
User avatar
04 Jan 2013 09:30

selloutwithme wrote:games are tied to your system and your account. no big deal. it just means that anything you downloaded can be played by someone else on your wii u. the 360 is just like this as well.

Except if you sell your wiped 360, the new owner wont get the games for free that you had to pay for because he wont have access to your account data.
No Avatar
Anonymous
04 Jan 2013 11:17

More incentive to buy discs whenever possible.
User avatar
04 Jan 2013 15:00

I'm willing to bet it's because the previous owner's account is still linked to the system.
No Avatar
04 Jan 2013 19:25

Atariadam wrote:Isnt the Wii like this already? I dont see that big of an issue, if your system breaks and you send it to Nintendo to get repaired they replace your games.

I fail to see a reason to sell your system only to repurchase it later. Money issues? umm . . . . yeah priorities, or perhaps try selling other goods before selling something like this. Why spend extra money if its something you would want to use later? Just hold on to the damn thing good lord the hundred bucks a pawn shop will give you isnt worth it if your just going to want it again.

Sides, are they selling it to a game store? Good lord they lost a lot of money. Selling it on craigslist hopefully they could get some compensation for the downloads. . . .

Makes me think tho, what kind of person buys a 300 or plus game system, downloads a game or two at 60 a pop, maybe a controller or cable or what have you, only to turn around and sell it. . . . . THEN wants all that same stuff back. . . . .

Im more interested in the gripes than the "rumor" TBH. As I dont see myself selling my Wii U (or Wii for that matter) any time soon, I intend on holding on to something I put hard earned money into.

Plus, on the other side, untill some retailers catch wind I guess nows a good time to get a used WiiU ... might be a little extra freebie for ya.

I just love idoditc statements that assume you know other's life.

Some people are busy individuals and they may buy something expecting one result then get another. For example, you might buy a game console thinking you're gonna play it a lot in one part of the year, only to find you you are going to be studying abroad at Oxford for a bit.

That happens a lot. You apparently to do not know the concept of the FREE MARKET.

You cannot tell me, for example, Android phones are the same in 2008 vs 2013. BIG DIFFERENCE. The Wii U'S library sucks...as all launch console games do. Ironically, consoles sell more as the dollar amount DECREASES and the library INCREASES. $300 for a paperweight is useless. Just sell it.

According to you, there should be no used car market.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way