Goriginal Content

Shantae review!

Fantasy Life review

EoD - Instagram fun

Xeodrifter diary #12

GN Podcast #479

EoD - Wii U holiday
 

President Obama calls for studies examining the effects of video game violence on young minds

"Congress will fund research into the effects that violent video games have on young minds." - President Obama

The ESA has commented on the call from President Obama...

"We concur with President Obama's call today for all Americans to do their part, and agree with the report's conclusion that 'the entertainment and video game industries have a responsibility to give parents tools and choices about the movies and programs their children watch and the games their children play. The same entertainment is enjoyed across all cultures and nations, but tragic levels of gun violence remain unique to our country. Scientific research and international and domestic crime data all point toward the same conclusion: entertainment does not cause violent behavior in the real world. We will embrace a constructive role in the important national dialogue around gun violence in the United States, and continue to collaborate with the Administration and Congress as they examine the facts that inform meaningful solutions."

Link

Discussion Preview
28 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
Anonymous
16 Jan 2013 15:46

Game sites are twisting what he said to make it seem like he's attacking games when he's not. He wants to do research on all forms of violent media, including movies and TV, to see the effects they have on younger people. I can understand why; U.S. culture is FILLED with entertainment including violence. I say let it happen. Still, I can't help but see some biases and lack of credibility in research, and it may end up an overall waste of funding. We'll see.
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 15:51

I'm very happy that when I see the money taken out of my checks...that it's going toward things like this. :lol:
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 15:55

Honestly, violent video games need to be marketed better.
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 15:57

Obama Drama.... Just coz it rhymes!
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 16:06

robometal cowboy wrote:"We concur with President Obama's call today for all Americans to do their part, and agree with the report's conclusion that 'the entertainment and video game industries have a responsibility to give parents tools and choices about the movies and programs their children watch and the games their children play.

I believe thats called the ESRB, it worked fine for my parents. Honestly if the parents don't want their kids playing bad games then all they have to do is look at the letter on the box, my mom and dad always did and when they started buying M-rated games they were sure to ask the guys at Gamestop why it was rated that and they decided if they were going to buy it or not. Its not hard and any parent that doesn't bother doing that just doesn't care.
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 16:13

Another headline could have been: "Government wastes more of your money."
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 16:15

I hate to see money spent on this while the country is in such a financial mess, but if anything good comes from this, may we can finally rule out violent entertainment being the cause of real-life violence.
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 16:29

Remind me to mail Obama a copy of Grand Theft Childhood
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 16:32

Seriously, do these people do any research at all before they say this stuff. Every game has an ESRB rating on it. Rated M games can't be sold to kids, just like explicit music and rated R movies. Games are much more expensive then any other form of entertainment (including porn) and require a huge investment just to get started, if the kid has the ability to play these type of games, then they're probably getting this from family members who A. make poor choices, B. aren't raising their kids, and C. aren't paying attention. Parents, get involved, raise your kids. All systems have parental controls and there's ratings for games right in front of you.
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 16:33

BanetheKira wrote:Honestly, violent video games need to be marketed better.


Um they are and they are oversaturating the retail scene

as for the matter, He should be focusing more on fixing the economy than doing stunts like this
then again, He's doing a lousy job at that since 2008
No Avatar
16 Jan 2013 16:43

I cannot wait until I have to go through a background check and something like a 10 day grace period before I can purchase an M-rated game. They would also have to do a psychological examination on me before I buy it too. Sheesh...

Seriously people, it's not games that make people violent its the upbringing and lifestyles of the people who do these horrific acts. Something happened to them and they want revenge, or something to make them feel better about themselves. If video games are what made one person a violent killer, then there should be millions of people out there who are violent killers.
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 17:00

nGen wrote:Remind me to mail Obama a copy of Grand Theft Childhood


Mail Obama a copy of Grand Theft Childhood!
No Avatar
Anonymous
16 Jan 2013 17:04

Seriously you guys are being dumb, all the executive order does is have congress give more funding/attention to research that studies MEDIA'S AFFECT on violence, and last I checked video games were part of media. So no, Obama isn't targeting solely video games how about you actually read his executive orders before all of you get your pitchforks?
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 18:15

Video Games vs All Media

The documentation always lists video games and media images together. That's fine. What's disturbing is that fact that there is a quote from Obama that singles out video games.

TV, Movies, and Videos are not mentioned by name, and we must assume that media images include all of these. We can also assume that images do not include music. We are probably unclear on whether books and magazines are included as well.

In order to not single out any particular form of media, this really needed to be worded in a much better way.

...investigating the relationship between media, and violence.
...investigating the relationship between all media, and violence.
...investigating the relationship between different types of media, and violence.
...investigating the relationship between several forms of media, and violence.

There are many better ways that this could have been written up. Unless, they meant to name video games and not TV, Movies, Magazines, Books, and others on purpose.
No Avatar
16 Jan 2013 18:46

I'm going to call it now:

This study will either say video games cause violence or video games have no affect on behavior.

Regardless of the outcome, one side will praise it, and the other side is going to just dismiss it and cite the numerous studies proving their point that they agree with.

People read the studies they want and agree with the studies they want to agree with. These studies are like statistics: they can be used to prove both your point and the exact opposite of you point. Studies on video games aren't going to solve gun violence, just like walking around the walking track at your area high school isn't going to cure cancer*.

It's not actually addressing the issue. It's... well, ignoring the real issue here. I can't even say it's a step in the right direction, because the issue shouldn't isn't "violence on young minds." The issue is gun use.

Now, I read comics. One writer/artist I like is Josh Howard, and I follow him on Twitter. He sent out a tweet yesterday. His son's high school was in lock down because a student reportedly brought a gun to school. The United States has a strong gun culture. It's so pervasive that at least one high school student thinks- a month after Newtown, no less- that it is appropriate to bring guns to class.

If there is a war on the second amendment, the second amendment is winning.
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 18:54

This is important because hopefully we will get some real research rather than the 20 minute play studies which proport to link video games to violence and get trotted out by some segments of the popular press.

Mike from Morgantown
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 19:29

This COULD be a good thing, a very good thing actually. Obama's playing by the other party's rules. He's trying to reach a settlement.

That's very good politics right there.
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 20:57

BigLord wrote:This COULD be a good thing, a very good thing actually. Obama's playing by the other party's rules. He's trying to reach a settlement.

That's very good politics right there.



Umm, he's playing by the other party's rules to accomplish what, exactly?
User avatar
16 Jan 2013 22:23

There have been multiple studies done already showing there is no link between game violence and real world violence. This is a waste of money. But if it will finally get people to shut up (it won't) I guess this can be a good thing.
No Avatar
Anonymous
16 Jan 2013 22:40

Sgt Scyther wrote:There have been multiple studies done already showing there is no link between game violence and real world violence. This is a waste of money. But if it will finally get people to shut up (it won't) I guess this can be a good thing.


Sadly this...

I wrote a piece on video game violence back in 10th grade. That was 17 years ago and nothing has changed. It's the parents Responsibility to make sure their kids are playing the appropriate games, watching the appropriate movies and listening the oppropriate music. It's not the governments job! They already have their greedy hands in enough...
No Avatar
17 Jan 2013 01:01

this is wasting taxpayer $$$ in my opinion. Games do not create unstable individuals.....their mental stability is what the issue is and that can be affected by a ton of things through a persons life.
No Avatar
17 Jan 2013 04:52

I so wish Romney would have been elected. The economy would be booming by now.
User avatar
17 Jan 2013 06:44

Very good thing, now we'll see what will be the results.

However to us Europeans, 50% of the problem is obviously related to the weapon industry. I mean it's good that they are looking into the reasons of such behaviours. That's one part of the problem. But then you would have to do something about the fact that the means to achieve such violence are everywhere. That's obviously another part of the issue.

But at least I'm glad that they don't exactly scapegoat video-games.

@delpiero

Uh what?
No probably not exactly booming.
User avatar
17 Jan 2013 07:30

No one game has ever been linked as a direct cause of any one shooting, yet all shootins are linked to guns!
No Avatar
18 Jan 2013 16:21

bearded OTP wrote:No one game has ever been linked as a direct cause of any one shooting, yet all shootins are linked to guns!

Well, most shootings are linked to guns. There are still the occasional crossbow murders. Seriously. They're not common, but I've seen a handful of articles over the last few years.

I think we all understand your point, though.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way