Goriginal Content

EoD - Come back, WR

EoD - Come back, SF

EoD - Come back, F-0

GN Podcast #453

Cult County chat!

EoD - Missed chance?
 

Random Time! - Metroid: Other M sees price increase at Walmart?!



What in the world is going on here?! Is there some sort of crazy shortage or secret reason I don't know of for the price being so high?! Thanks to only_kafei for the heads up!

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
52 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
18 Jan 2013 23:59

I didn't hate Other M because of the bad story, I skipped over every cutscene after hearing Adam for the fifth time.

It's not a fun game. Who thought it would be a good idea to have a 3D game controlled with an input method designed for 2D games? Who thought it would be a good idea to have to turn the remote around every single time you have to aim?

I wouldn't get this game if it were given away for free.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:08

I paid $50 for it when it came out, and I don't regret it at all because it's good. My favorite Metroid since Zero Mission. My guess is that the reason it didn't sell better is because some people relentlessly complain about it. Everyone I personally know in real life that has played it liked it, on the internet it would seem everyone thought it was the worst game ever made.
No Avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:11

i am always a bit sad when i see this game and sin and punishment 2 at the ten bucks price , such great game so little public . At least sp2 got good reviews the problem was it didn't get enough reviews and coverage . As for other m , it's another bizarre internet twist that "hardcore" wanted a 2d/sakamoto metroid and despised the prime series but turned that around quickly because the story was not all about following other soldiers chasing that white point , or was it oscar worthy youtube petty crimes fest gta ..
whatever
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:11

@nGen

You see how he avoids your point.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:19

It was just poor Abbey Heppie that stated her thoughts on the game that started the whole ordeal Other M isn't horrid but it's not good. Sakamoto just needs to never make a Metriod game again.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:24

KingBroly wrote:In case people don't realize this, Other M sold poorly everywhere, so there was only 1 shipment of the game made in the US. The copy you see is a Day 1 copy.

That's how bad Other M is.


then all metroid games sold poorly so it makes the metroid franchise bad in your biased hateful opinion. Metroid selling over a million copies are rare(think only the first prime) , and other m sold in line with metroid games(around 1 million worldwide). If you hate metroid so badly go play something else and stop hurting yourself.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:31

This game can still be found on the cheap ... If somehow you own a wii or wii u and haven't yet played this, ignore the reviews that blast this game because the reviewer doesn't like the voiced Samus... The gameplay is awesome. It's just a blast to play and replay and then replay again and again
It's that good
No Avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:34

I'm playing Metroid Prime 3 RIGHT NOW.

Now THIS is a good Metroid game. Heavy exploration, puzzle-solving elements, self-discovery, item hunting, discovering shortcuts and secrets, stellar art design, fantastic and immersive worlds, story told through gameplay and atmosphere, and a portrayal of Samus that is shockingly respectful of her past while also doing a surprisingly number of things to humanize her without making her seem broken, incompetent, or weak...

Other M had some good ideas, but like the game Too Human, it was highly flawed in executing them. The story was horrendous, even without taking Samus's head-long plunge into hysterics and melodramatic neediness. But I never understood people who defended the gameplay. I had JUST as many issues with how the game played as how the story was told.

Who seriously enjoyed those "Where's Waldo?" pixel hunts that ground the pacing to a halt, or those forced slow-walk segments, or those linear tunnels that wouldn't even let you backtrack, or those frequent dead ends, or the utter lack of nunchuck support for control in a 3D environment, or the way you had to rearranging the controller in your hands every time you wanted to fire a missile, or the lack of a head's up that you can use certain items (you can use Power Bombs now? Thanks for NOT telling me!), or the lack of familiar and iconic audio clues, fanfare, tunes, or music, or the massive number of invisible walls, or the complete and utter absence of ANY new weapons or upgrades, or the mindless auto-aim, or the canned and tiresome auto-kill animations that happened over and over and over, or the broken invincible dodge, or the stupid "concentration" mechanic that made looking for upgrades entirely pointless since you effectively had an infinite supply (and how it made WASTING ammo so you could then concentrate and regenerate it a legitimate strategy), or the utter disinterest in the speed running that once defined the franchise, or how Samus effectively does almost nothing the entire game to solve any major problems that warrant mention, or the terrible artistic redesigns and generic monster concepts (and putting Samus in friggin' HIGH HEELS), or the game-ending bugs and glitches that couldn't be patched, or how sterile and bland the environments were, or...

... The terrible story wasn't Other M's only problems.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:35

WesFX wrote:@nGen

You see how he avoids your point.


Yup. And this will be the only game that will get sh*t about original copies still being on the shelf. I bought Opoona from Gamestop for $5.00 and it still had the $49.99 sticker on it. Lord knows I've seen plenty of copies of Skyward Sword that are original shipment still sitting on the shelf, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

Other M threads are about as boring and predictable as Patcher threads. Same people with the same boring complaints, mods on the site antagonizing anyone who dared to like the game.

The only, ONLY thing about Other M I didn't like was the "Where's Waldo?" portions of the game. Other than that, I thought Other M excelled as an action game and the battle with Phantoon is probably one of my favorite boss battles ever.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 00:47

nGen wrote:
WesFX wrote:@nGen

You see how he avoids your point.


Yup. And this will be the only game that will get sh*t about original copies still being on the shelf. I bought Opoona from Gamestop for $5.00 and it still had the $49.99 sticker on it. Lord knows I've seen plenty of copies of Skyward Sword that are original shipment still sitting on the shelf, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

Other M threads are about as boring and predictable as Patcher threads. Same people with the same boring complaints, mods on the site antagonizing anyone who dared to like the game.

The only, ONLY thing about Other M I didn't like was the "Where's Waldo?" portions of the game. Other than that, I thought Other M excelled as an action game and the battle with Phantoon is probably one of my favorite boss battles ever.


not to mention Prime didnt need auto aim because the game was tailored to slow reactions and extremely dumb ai ,if you didnt have auto adjustments at OM you wouldnt hit anything half of the time. Invulnerability frames during dodge are astaple of most fighting and action games nowadays , not person shooters, why would you complain about that logical feature.Action ,speed and challenging combat was sacrificed for exploration in prime, thats good if you like that type of games,backtracking and watching the flying animation of the ship every 5 minutes got as old as Waldo at other m. And portrayal of samus?there was none , dont try to make up points where there arent, story on Prime 3 was pretty critiziced during its time as well, as the worst of the primes and bad overall, but the game was ok.
Prime was a good Prime game, dont anchor the whole series to it.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 01:01

intro94 wrote:then all metroid games sold poorly so it makes the metroid franchise bad in your biased hateful opinion. Metroid selling over a million copies are rare(think only the first prime) , and other m sold in line with metroid games(around 1 million worldwide). If you hate metroid so badly go play something else and stop hurting yourself.


Prime 1, 2 and 3 easily outsold it everywhere outside of Japan because Japan doesn't usually buy first person shooters. You know, because they're great games which I enjoyed thoroughly.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 01:16

Sisibakbak wrote:It's definitely worth a look. And the difference is what I admire most about this game- it marks Nintendo's willingness to keep evolving their most beloved franchises. It would have been easy for them to make a straight up Metroid side scroller or a Prime 4 but instead they took a lot of risks in taking Other M in such a different direction for the series. Whether you liked the game or not, it's hard not to appreciate how Nintendo weren't willing to rest on their laurels and make a safe game despite the risk of alienating fans.


Agree ther 100%, im glad they finally took a risk for once among the sea of "playing it safe" decisions we tend to get. I enjoyed the game myself, and if those who hate it want to dwell on it and keep talking about it more than those that liked it, so be it, its just kinda sad though when you would think they wouldnt want to keep it alive.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 01:45

I actually thought Other M was a good game. It was just the story and the silly authorization plot device that brought it down a few notches. Like many games out there, it gets bashed on WAY more than it deserves to be.

And so what if its sales were low? Even good games can and HAVE sold poorly before. Good game quality does NOT guarantee big sales numbers.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 01:49

Maybe it was supposed to say "$7.98"? It is obviously a price mistake. I wonder if it rings up at that price also. My jaw would hit the floor if it did...
No Avatar
19 Jan 2013 01:52

HylianHeroLOZ wrote:
Sisibakbak wrote:It's definitely worth a look. And the difference is what I admire most about this game- it marks Nintendo's willingness to keep evolving their most beloved franchises. It would have been easy for them to make a straight up Metroid side scroller or a Prime 4 but instead they took a lot of risks in taking Other M in such a different direction for the series. Whether you liked the game or not, it's hard not to appreciate how Nintendo weren't willing to rest on their laurels and make a safe game despite the risk of alienating fans.


Agree ther 100%, im glad they finally took a risk for once among the sea of "playing it safe" decisions we tend to get. I enjoyed the game myself, and if those who hate it want to dwell on it and keep talking about it more than those that liked it, so be it, its just kinda sad though when you would think they wouldnt want to keep it alive.


I'll disagree on this. "Taking a risk" is neither commendable nor condemnable. It depends on why a risk is taken and how it is done. It's the same for something like "change". Change denotes neither good nor bad. It depends on how things change.

Metroid Prime was a massive risk. I very vividly recall the backlash against the concept of the game. It was a massive gamble in many ways - making it first-person, letting some unproven company from Texas develop it - but Metroid Prime is still ranked in the top 10 games on Metacritic of all time, is THE most successful game in the franchise, and is widely considered a gaming masterpiece that even hardcore fans of the franchise openly admit embraced the spirit, themes, and core gameplay that made the originals flourish.

Same goes for Wind Waker's unique art style, which alienated many fans yet provided an avenue for greater expression and visuals that have withstood the test of time due to their cel-shaded approach to art direction. Or Zelda's stylus-only DS outings. Or four-player Four Swords multiplayer. Those were risks, but they were approached in a very smart way.

Mario 64 was a risk, ditching the 2D sidescrolling familiar to everyone in favor of a giant, free-roaming playground of levels you could run around it at your leisure, unlike anything any Mario game, let alone any game PERIOD, had attempted at that time.

There were changes that were spearheaded by people with a clear vision of improving and refining areas of the games, yet they also had the very common sense not to try and fix what wasn't broken or to try and reinvent the wheel. For all their stylistic, graphic, perspective, and control changes, the things people at heart loved about the games remained completely unaltered. The "formula" was still there, but it was seen through new eyes, a new perspective, and a new way to interact with it. That was a smart risk, because the core aspect of these games remained, and fans both saw and embraced them. The reason people love Prime is the very same reason people love Super Metroid: it's exploratory elements, it's amazing atmosphere, it's surplus of self-discovered power-ups and abilities.

But there is such a thing as BAD risks and BAD change. I will never commend somebody for "taking a risk". EVERY game is a risk. Even games that use familiar elements take risks. No game is without risk. The only thing that matters in game creation is whether the risks, the changes, pay off and prove an improved experience over what came before. Otherwise, you're tampering with something that people already know and love. It's the equivalent of trying to reinvent soap; people like soap the way it is. They may give it a new scent or shape it in a new bar, but soap is soap and people don't want it "reinvented".

But, well, I view Other M much like how I view George Lucas's special editions and prequels to Star Wars. He either lost sight of what made the originals work or he never knew in the first place. He tampered with it, removed the things that defined the franchise, altered it at its very core, changed characters, visuals, stories... He took a big "risk" in doing all this, but it was not a risk that paid off, and while the special editions and prequels DO have fans out there, the majority agree that most, if not all, of his additions and changes diminished what came before and were of significantly lesser quality.

It's the same reason I won't ever buy Capcom's reasoning for turning Resident Evil into a terror-less action fest instead of creating a new franchise out of it like they did Devil May Cry, while I'll never buy the excuse that Dragon Age 2 "needed" to strip out its deep RPG features to appeal to the mainstream crowds, and why I view Other M as a disappointment in the franchise for utterly casting aside the very elements that defined the franchise and outright ignoring many of the series's most beloved and innovative contributions.

I have no love for "risk". I care nothing for "risk". As a gamer and developer, all that matters is whether the "reward" is worth the effort, and if that means sabotaging or amputating important elements that defined the game for its fans, I'd consider abandoning the idea and creating something entirely new instead. Otherwise, you're simply trying to put a square peg in a round hole and mashing two dissimilar ideas, which has almost never worked, either in movies, music, or especially games.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 03:17

Screw you guys! Other M was a pretty damn good game.

Too many people jumped on the hate train for this one.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 03:28

NintendoDaily wrote:Screw you guys! Other M was a pretty damn good game.

Too many people jumped on the hate train for this one.


Forget about it. People will NEVER shut up about it. NEVER.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 03:45

Garlador wrote:
HylianHeroLOZ wrote:
Sisibakbak wrote:It's definitely worth a look. And the difference is what I admire most about this game- it marks Nintendo's willingness to keep evolving their most beloved franchises. It would have been easy for them to make a straight up Metroid side scroller or a Prime 4 but instead they took a lot of risks in taking Other M in such a different direction for the series. Whether you liked the game or not, it's hard not to appreciate how Nintendo weren't willing to rest on their laurels and make a safe game despite the risk of alienating fans.


Agree ther 100%, im glad they finally took a risk for once among the sea of "playing it safe" decisions we tend to get. I enjoyed the game myself, and if those who hate it want to dwell on it and keep talking about it more than those that liked it, so be it, its just kinda sad though when you would think they wouldnt want to keep it alive.


I'll disagree on this. "Taking a risk" is neither commendable nor condemnable. It depends on why a risk is taken and how it is done. It's the same for something like "change". Change denotes neither good nor bad. It depends on how things change.

Metroid Prime was a massive risk. I very vividly recall the backlash against the concept of the game. It was a massive gamble in many ways - making it first-person, letting some unproven company from Texas develop it - but Metroid Prime is still ranked in the top 10 games on Metacritic of all time, is THE most successful game in the franchise, and is widely considered a gaming masterpiece that even hardcore fans of the franchise openly admit embraced the spirit, themes, and core gameplay that made the originals flourish.

Same goes for Wind Waker's unique art style, which alienated many fans yet provided an avenue for greater expression and visuals that have withstood the test of time due to their cel-shaded approach to art direction. Or Zelda's stylus-only DS outings. Or four-player Four Swords multiplayer. Those were risks, but they were approached in a very smart way.

Mario 64 was a risk, ditching the 2D sidescrolling familiar to everyone in favor of a giant, free-roaming playground of levels you could run around it at your leisure, unlike anything any Mario game, let alone any game PERIOD, had attempted at that time.

There were changes that were spearheaded by people with a clear vision of improving and refining areas of the games, yet they also had the very common sense not to try and fix what wasn't broken or to try and reinvent the wheel. For all their stylistic, graphic, perspective, and control changes, the things people at heart loved about the games remained completely unaltered. The "formula" was still there, but it was seen through new eyes, a new perspective, and a new way to interact with it. That was a smart risk, because the core aspect of these games remained, and fans both saw and embraced them. The reason people love Prime is the very same reason people love Super Metroid: it's exploratory elements, it's amazing atmosphere, it's surplus of self-discovered power-ups and abilities.

But there is such a thing as BAD risks and BAD change. I will never commend somebody for "taking a risk". EVERY game is a risk. Even games that use familiar elements take risks. No game is without risk. The only thing that matters in game creation is whether the risks, the changes, pay off and prove an improved experience over what came before. Otherwise, you're tampering with something that people already know and love. It's the equivalent of trying to reinvent soap; people like soap the way it is. They may give it a new scent or shape it in a new bar, but soap is soap and people don't want it "reinvented".

But, well, I view Other M much like how I view George Lucas's special editions and prequels to Star Wars. He either lost sight of what made the originals work or he never knew in the first place. He tampered with it, removed the things that defined the franchise, altered it at its very core, changed characters, visuals, stories... He took a big "risk" in doing all this, but it was not a risk that paid off, and while the special editions and prequels DO have fans out there, the majority agree that most, if not all, of his additions and changes diminished what came before and were of significantly lesser quality.

It's the same reason I won't ever buy Capcom's reasoning for turning Resident Evil into a terror-less action fest instead of creating a new franchise out of it like they did Devil May Cry, while I'll never buy the excuse that Dragon Age 2 "needed" to strip out its deep RPG features to appeal to the mainstream crowds, and why I view Other M as a disappointment in the franchise for utterly casting aside the very elements that defined the franchise and outright ignoring many of the series's most beloved and innovative contributions.

I have no love for "risk". I care nothing for "risk". As a gamer and developer, all that matters is whether the "reward" is worth the effort, and if that means sabotaging or amputating important elements that defined the game for its fans, I'd consider abandoning the idea and creating something entirely new instead. Otherwise, you're simply trying to put a square peg in a round hole and mashing two dissimilar ideas, which has almost never worked, either in movies, music, or especially games.


I disagree. Risk is essential for the evolution of the medium, any medium. There needs to be classicism in game design and there needs to be avant-garde. Otherwise there is no evolution.
Other M is very much avant-garde. I'm sorry you didn't like the approach. I'm sorry you didn't get the game you were expecting. I didn't get the game I was expecting either. But what I did get is a marvel.
At the conclusion of the Other M story, she conquers her doubts, fears and has freed herself from the haunting past (loss of childhood family, the rejection of her young adult family, with the death of her child the loss of a future family). Her final battle is against a monster who looks through a window into the bottle ship, a third person perspective that mimics your own. That monster throws hands and eyes at her. You, the player, are that monster. You are the final that thing that she fees herself from so she can get on with her adventures. Samus is deep. She is her own woman.
That's merely surface subtext. It goes deeper, so very much deeper.
Other M is cool, cooler than "gamers."
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 04:01

Wow, I can't believe people actually defend Other M.

I mean, scratch that, I CAN believe it, since people also do silly things like defend Twilight, but hey.

I'm just gonna leave this great read here and be on my way.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 04:08

COlimar788 wrote:Wow, I can't believe people actually defend Other M.

I mean, scratch that, I CAN believe it, since people also do silly things like defend Twilight, but hey.

I'm just gonna leave this great read here and be on my way.

"To play this game would ultimately mean giving financial compensation to Nintendo for it in some way, shape, or form. That would mean tacitly rewarding them for having produced this game. And I will not do that. Buying something, or not buying it, is the only real means of control consumers have over those who produce things in a capitalist society. To purchase a product is to give approval to the producer for that product. To not purchase it is the only means of saying "DO NOT WANT!" "

Small mind. Questionable ethics. Bad writing, cliche.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 05:03

Are people honestly STILL butthurt about Other M? The game came out about 2 1/2 years ago for God's sake. Is this honestly going to be like Twilight Princess where people are going to whine about it until the next installment? Personally, I thought it was okay. To me it's not a genuinely bad game because it shows that they tried and didn't just slap it together only to be full of glitches and bad controls like a lot of other games out there. Yes, I do think it was a low point in the series but I'd give it a C+ at worst; passable but they could have done a lot better.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 06:07

COlimar788 wrote:Wow, I can't believe people actually defend Other M.

I mean, scratch that, I CAN believe it, since people also do silly things like defend Twilight, but hey.

I'm just gonna leave this great read here and be on my way.


i think that's a bit unfair. just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's not good. personally, i'm not a fan of the twilight movies either. but, i'm not naive enough to say they are rubbish, because alot of poeple enjoy them.
for instance i'm not a fan of some types of music, but other people do like those types of music. it just comes down a persons preference.
i can accept some critisms on other m's story and diologue. but that aside it was a really fun game. one of the few games in my wii library that i've played more than once. so, that says something.
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 06:21

One of my new year's resolutions was to keep making new year's resolutions. Here's on: I'm never reading another Other M thread ever again. I swear no-one actually listens to what any one else has to say.

"Oh, you're just annoyed that they made Samus into a real person instead of Master Chief"

"You're just annoyed that it's not a dudebro no-brainer FPS"

[/done]
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 06:36

Well, this proves that like Kid Icarus: Uprising, Gonintendo users will eat just about all sorts of games and treat like the "best".
User avatar
19 Jan 2013 07:34

TheLastBlade wrote:Well, this proves that like Kid Icarus: Uprising, Gonintendo users will eat just about all sorts of games and treat like the "best".


I'll never understand your self-imposed duty to tell anybody who likes something you don't that they are fanboys, lacking of any sort of valid opinion, and only you are able to make judgements regarding whether something is objectively 'good' or not.

You're opinions have just as much bias as anyone else's. People in this thread have stated they enjoyed the game while still acknowledging issues with the game; what makes your opinion more valid than theirs? You don't even offer a rebuttal in threads like these, you just denounce detractors of your opinion as 'fanboys' and sit smugly.

This isn't even about my opinion on Other: M. To be frank, I own it but don't feel strongly about it either way, despite the fact I'm a huge fan of the series. This is about your attitude; you're no more qualified to judge the quality of something than anybody else, and the fact that you would rather claim people of the opposite viewpoint as 'fanboys' without providing any useful discourse just makes you seem like an impudent child who is far more interested in coming into conflict with other users than having an intelligent discourse about the topic. There are many websites on line suited far better for this than GoNintendo, I recommend you try one of those if you don't intend to add anything useful to the conversation.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way