Goriginal Content

EoD - Warriors cast

EoD - SS motion

GN Podcast #466

EoD - Zelda music

EoD - Fatal Frame

EoD - Smash C-stick
 

EA doesn't consider Wii U a next-gen console

This blurb was spout out by EA during their fiscal earnings report...

"What we're describing as gen four has yet to come."

Nice to know that EA only considers graphical power the true next-gen qualifier with hardware. That's an opinion that'll surely take them far!

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
73 total comments (View all)
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 20:36

I love gaming, but it seems like the culture surrounding gaming (including gamers, gaming journalists, gaming websites, etc.) seems to be strangely prone to both assumption making and unnecessarily grandiose statements/predictions.

EA said they consider the 4th generation [sic] to start with the new Playstation and XBox systems. Even with the provided context (thanks cbbomb) we don't know exactly what they mean by that. Is it simply that they don't need new engines to take advantage of the capabilities of the Wii U? Is it that they don't intend on supporting Wii U as a full-fledged 'next-gen' system? We just don't know.

They also say that they see no correlation between Wii U sales and what they expect from other next-gen consoles. These are assumptions. I get it. They're business people and have to make some kind of business predictions. But such predictions are notoriously unreliable, as there are so many variables that go into system and game sales, many of which are not only unknown before the case but are unknowable. (I remember 6 years ago when the predictions were the PS3 would be the biggest of the three and the Wii would be a dismal failure. They obviously were off-base, because there were factors folks at the time didn't know and couldn't predict.)

Andrew...you have consistently made assumptions in this thread regarding the Wii U relative to the upcoming Playstation and XBox, namely that the Wii U won't be in the same league technically as the other two. Problem is, to make a valid comparison between the three you need to know the system specs and architecture of all three systems. But you only have that information for...none of them. The fact that current Wii U games are on par with PS360 games doesn't tell us as much about what the Wii U can do as you seem to think. A system's first generation of games never come close to fully utilizing the system. So arguing that the PS360 can produce graphics on par with what we've seen of Monolith's new game, even if you're right, doesn't prove anything about the ultimate capabilities of the Wii U.

And then there are the few here who are going for the grandiose predictions...namely that, based on a statement or two from someone at EA, Nintendo will be left in the gutter by third parties and/or that Nintendo is finished.

As I editorialized recently, it is just too early to tell on any of this. We don't know the fully capabilities of the Wii U, and we know even less about the two upcoming systems. Although most (myself included) consider it likely that the Wii U will be the least powerful of the three, we don't know how large that gap will be. And we don't know what the all the software will be like on any of the systems. Which developers will develop for which systems is also, in many cases, unknowable.

So in the end, we just have to wait before we can determine winners or losers in the business aspect of things. In the meantime, maybe, we could play games and have fun.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 20:38

The thing hat annoys me is the Mass Effect trilogy not hitting the WiiU when the PS360 gets it. They portet ME3 after all..

Apart from hat I am nt rally sure what he means when he said gen 4. Hope he would explain that a bit sometime.

Anyway, I see Santiago used X as an example and it made me think a bit. It's an early build it seems so they can improve on several things, but the thing is if they can keep this quality (and with even more polish and variety ) in a massive world as Xenoblade (or even larger, more massive) world it a constant 60 FPS with loads of monsters and vehicles and debris and other small things all at once I think we will be pretty amazed at the end result. Hell, Xenoblae has PS2 graphics but that design is awesome. Now with new tech this could spew out some real nice eye candy!

But I really o think we have to wait for E3 to see some companies show of some Wii U power. And that will be under a year of it's launch. I could, of course, be wrong.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 20:42

@GeneticRepoMan

You have no proof backing up what you're saying, he does. There are already third party games that look the best on Wii U and they're still running on current gen ENGINES. Game X as listed above is obviously using some next gen muscle because A it's being published by Nintendo for THEIR CONSOLE and they do have the next gen resources ready to go and B it's from the makers of Xenoblade. Also Pikmin 3 like I said in another post will be Nintendo's way of turning heads and letting people know the next gen is now. Third parties will wait to use their new engines until the other two release their consoles but Nintendo will certainly be flexing it's next gen muscles this year. NintendoLand and NSMBU will be nothing next to a new 3D mario, Game X, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, and Mario Kart which all look like they might hit this year.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 20:57

TBH, what I saw from the X trailer honestly did not look possible on the current generation consoles. That was a huge open world with a whole lot of detail and combat all in real time. Looked like a PC game, like Skyrim with mods or Witcher 2 on max graphics.

Also to add to this, judging by what we have seen of engines, such as cryengine 3, unreal engine 4, agnis philosophy, rainbow 6, etc., the graphical jump from what we saw at E3 2011 with LoZ, Monoliths new game X, and even the Kara demo on PS3, is nowhere near the jump from PS2 to PS3 or the graphical differences of the 360 and PS3 to the Wii.

Just like the graphical difference between the 3DS and Vita is not what people have made them out to be, I doubt the graphical difference between the Wii U and the nextbox and orbis will be anywhere near as big of a gap as the previous generation.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 20:58

It's true, EA! They speak the truth. What sony and microsoft put will blow the Wii U out of the water.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 21:02

@kdognumba1

Yes...We are closing a limit to how much graphics can improve. They will and can be better, but not with such big jumps as before. An let us not forget how much it's going to cost when technology gets better. Game development is expensive enough as it is. But that's a different story.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 21:03

quicklynow wrote:I'm so happy about this. A Nintendo left in the gutter will have to expand their internal teams if they want to survive.


Because that totally worked the last three generations.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 21:09

You know, after reading this discussion, I've realized that I don't think I've ever purchased an EA game. They are such a big, important company that I really couldn't care less about. I suppose they must be important to other people though for people to actually care what they say and do.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 21:24

Eh it's okay. Some truth to it. Some butt hurt.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 21:52

WedgeWalkr wrote:Andrew...you have consistently made assumptions in this thread regarding the Wii U relative to the upcoming Playstation and XBox, namely that the Wii U won't be in the same league technically as the other two.


I have done no such thing. I have compared the Wii U's graphical display capabilities to the current Playstation and Xbox.


Andrew Eisen
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 21:55

EA has very few things that really interest me.

I look forward to the NFS -- even though it is late. But I tried the new Madden and did not like it. I stopped worrying about soccer and golf. Hasbro Game Night has run its course. And most of the other current offerings are either sim-related (which they ruined) or shooter related (which I rarely play).

EA does not even have a direct easy link for WiiU on its home page. I imagine a lot of this is has to do with Nintendo's rejection of Origin.

Just remember though -- EA's market cap (value) is four billion. Nintendo's market cap (value) is over 1 trillion dollars.

MIke from Morgantown
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 22:16

I don't really care what EA thinks about anything. I don't consider them a company who I will buy stuff from. Of the almost 600 games I own, 1 is made by EA.

By the way, they are right, WiiU is not a gen 4 system, Super Nintendo, and Genesis were.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 22:45

@keyz

What games look better on Wii U thus far? (Serious question, because I only remember one off the top of my head)The majority of the games that are multiplat are SLIGHTLY worse on Wii U. But I leave that mostly to people still figuring out the architecture of the Wii U and trying to beat deadlines.

I know for sure Gearbox is saying the Wii U version is the nicest looking version, PC nonwithstanding, but have we seen any footage of the Wii U version lately? How much better is it?

It's pretty evident that the Wii U is slightly stronger than 360/PS3 but not that much. When the next gen comes out, there WILL be titles that won't make it to Wii U due to lack of strength (in comparison) but I am sure some games will be able to be ported.

I'm not one of those that think the PS4/720 will be like something we've never seen before, but I would imagine there'd be enough of a difference to put Nintendo behind yet again.

I also want to point out that I am a Wii U owner and very happy with my purchase and it's foreseeable future. I'm not saying this because I think it'll instantly validate anything I have to say, but I want people to know that I'm just trying to look at the situation sensibly.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 22:50

I don't really care what EA thinks about anything."

This.

Next gen or not, I have little to no faith in what EA does for Nintendo platforms. They'll continue to do what they have always done. Put out annual sport games with missing features that are found in other versions and maybe one or two games that is considered core like ME3.
No Avatar
30 Jan 2013 22:58

Oh geez, I wish they haven't said that. Let the idiotic flame wars begins from all three consoles fanboys.

I miss the games :/
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 23:16

Andrew Eisen wrote:
WedgeWalkr wrote:Andrew...you have consistently made assumptions in this thread regarding the Wii U relative to the upcoming Playstation and XBox, namely that the Wii U won't be in the same league technically as the other two.


I have done no such thing. I have compared the Wii U's graphical display capabilities to the current Playstation and Xbox.


Andrew Eisen


...And, implicitly, to the next Playstation and XBox systems.

Your first post about this story, verbatim: "Well, from a graphical display capability standpoint, the Wii U is not next gen. It's current gen."

When you say "the Wii U is not next gen," you are directly comparing it to the upcoming next gen...and concluding that the Wii U comes up lacking.

When new game from Monolith was brought up, you said: "If I'm parsing your question correctly: That's current generation graphics. The PS3 and 360 could both do that. Therefore, the Wii U is not next gen from a graphical display standpoint."

Again, when you say Wii U is not next gen, you are directly comparing it to the next gen.

I will grant you, you didn't explicitly say "the Wii U won't be in the same league technically as the other two [Playstation and XBox]." But it is implied by what you said, unless for some reason you think the next Playstation and XBox won't be next-gen either.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 23:19

So, first thing, how are they counting previous generations to arrive at the next one being "four?"

Second thing, we already have three new consoles out. We're in the generation after 360, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP already, however you want to number it.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 23:26

I could care less if EA thinks Wii U is next gen or not, and most important, if they don't release Wii U games. EA's one of the companies I care the least (if I ever care about them).
No Avatar
30 Jan 2013 23:31

Perhaps the reason Wii U games look a bit better is because they're the new? Like how 2012 games looked better than 2010 games. But it's not necessarily because the console is more powerful or anything like that.
User avatar
30 Jan 2013 23:48

Ea is so stupid. People are just as stupid if all they think about is graphics. Is all about the games...
User avatar
31 Jan 2013 00:16

@GeneticRepoMan

It's not sensible to base your argument totally on assumptions though. We're basing our arguments on what we know about Wii U's architecture(which we know has next gen attributes i.e the GPGPU set up, multi plat games looking better on Wii U with current gen engines, games that are being published by Nintendo looking better than current gen games i.e pikmin, game x) that's already available to the public while you're making assumptions about systems that aren't even out. Your first post was totally different from your second post. Yes I think most people will agree the other two systems will be more powerful, but it's not going to be to the point a lot of fanboys are hoping for because if it was then you would be paying $500, which in this economy is suicide and Microsoft and Sony know that. I believe MOST games will be ABLE to be ported over, but fanboyism in the industry will prevent devs from doing that like we're beginning to see all over again. To your other point Assassins Creed 3, Black Ops 2, Fifa, NBA 2K13 and Aliens Colonial Marines on Wii U are widely recognized as the best looking versions. Zombi U and Monster Hunter 3rd Ultimate say hello in full, native 1080p HD as well. Also what system has had a better launch (software wise) than the Wii U? None.
User avatar
31 Jan 2013 00:56

keyz wrote:@GeneticRepoMan

It's not sensible to base your argument totally on assumptions though. We're basing our arguments on what we know about Wii U's architecture(which we know has next gen attributes i.e the GPGPU set up, multi plat games looking better on Wii U with current gen engines, games that are being published by Nintendo looking better than current gen games i.e pikmin, game x) that's already available to the public while you're making assumptions about systems that aren't even out. Your first post was totally different from your second post. Yes I think most people will agree the other two systems will be more powerful, but it's not going to be to the point a lot of fanboys are hoping for because if it was then you would be paying $500, which in this economy is suicide and Microsoft and Sony know that. I believe MOST games will be ABLE to be ported over, but fanboyism in the industry will prevent devs from doing that like we're beginning to see all over again. To your other point Assassins Creed 3, Black Ops 2, Fifa, NBA 2K13 and Aliens Colonial Marines on Wii U are widely recognized as the best looking versions. Zombi U and Monster Hunter 3rd Ultimate say hello in full, native 1080p HD as well. Also what system has had a better launch (software wise) than the Wii U? None.


To be fair, I wasn't looking for an argument, I was merely defending Andrew Eisen because I felt his post was being taken either too seriously or out of context. (His initial post at least).

And what exactly do you mean by my first post is totally different from my second?

As for the rest of what you said. I believe you're taking what I said WAY too seriously. You claim that I'm making assumptions. Which is true, but so are you. Neither of us have intel on the other corporations and what they're up to. You say that you BELIEVE games from the PS4/720 (please excuse my generic terms for them), well unless you have some evidence, that there buddy, is an assumption.

As far as your examples of better looking games:

Assassins Creed 3 according to the Digital Foundry is only "Just as good" as the PS3/360 counterparts. With the only edge being the Wii U gamepad features (which is the real reason I consider the Wii U "next-gen", it promotes new ways to play, not just fancier graphics).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... u-face-off

As far as Black Ops 2, they say that the game is slightly better than the PS3 version graphically but under performs performance wise than both consoles. Which is what's more important to me than graphics (though what's more important to me right now is irrelevant).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... u-face-off

I can't find anything on NBA or FIFA, so if you'd be kind enough to share some facts/sources with me, that'd be much appreciated.

And please be more descriptive about the launch. What made it so good? The quality of the games? The amount of the games? How well they sold? Please don't be so vague.

Which for that matter, what the heck does the launch even have to do with what we're discussing? I have nothing against the launch line up, I thought it was pretty good! I currently own 4 retail games and want quite a few more, I just fail to see your point. . .I feel like you think I'm bashing the Wii U or something, or Nintendo in general and are getting very protective.
User avatar
31 Jan 2013 01:19

Does PS3 and 360 have a Gamepad which you can play your console games on while someone else watches TV on that same TV? No??? Oh then I guess Wii U is next gen. It brings something to the table that wasn't there before. Throw in Miiverse, and you got two big things that only Wii U has to offer.
User avatar
31 Jan 2013 03:13

WedgeWalkr wrote:...And, implicitly, to the next Playstation and XBox systems.

Your first post about this story, verbatim: "Well, from a graphical display capability standpoint, the Wii U is not next gen. It's current gen."

When you say "the Wii U is not next gen," you are directly comparing it to the upcoming next gen...and concluding that the Wii U comes up lacking.


No, when I said "the Wii U is not next gen," I was directly comparing it to the current gen...and concluding that the Wii U is on par.

WedgeWalkr wrote:When new game from Monolith was brought up, you said: "If I'm parsing your question correctly: That's current generation graphics. The PS3 and 360 could both do that. Therefore, the Wii U is not next gen from a graphical display standpoint."

Again, when you say Wii U is not next gen, you are directly comparing it to the next gen.


No, here I was very clearly comparing it to the current gen.

WedgeWalkr wrote:I will grant you, you didn't explicitly say "the Wii U won't be in the same league technically as the other two [Playstation and XBox]." But it is implied by what you said, unless for some reason you think the next Playstation and XBox won't be next-gen either.


In this thread, I have made exactly zero assumptions about the graphical display capabilities of Sony and Microsoft's next consoles.


Andrew Eisen

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way