Goriginal Content

EoD - Game combos

Wooden Sen'sey rev

GN Podcast #467

Renegade Kid reveal!

EoD - Miiverse use

EoD - TV Vs. Pocket
 

EA's full statement on Wii U not being next-gen, but never counting Nintendo out

So, couple of things. First, you never count Nintendo out. They've got some of the best IPs in the game industry, when their marquee titles show up, that's when you usually see the bounce. I'm deeply respectful of the achievements they've had over the last several years, and so yeah, never really count them out.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that we see much correlation between the results that Nintendo have just shown with the console debut of the Wii U and what we see coming. We see a pretty sharp distinction and unfortunately I'm unable to go any further than that.

Ours is an industry where a lot of devices come in and represent themselves as the next generation or the next generation after that. You know in many ways, we would argue that the gen— what we're describing as "Gen 4", is yet to come — and it's that we're excited about, and that's what we're investing in, and frankly we've been quite consistent with that for some time, recognising the frustration our inability to articulate precisely why, causes for you.


Again, EA clearly sees next-gen as a power-only affair. Unless Sony and Microsoft are working on platforms that offer some unique experience outside of more power, it looks like EA is more interested in the same old stuff.

Link

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
83 total comments (View all)
User avatar
01 Feb 2013 01:07

Faver wrote:
bfx9 wrote:dude. the wii U won't have a high install base compared to the next gen systems (the term next gen is determined by the industry people, not geeks trolling the web) the system is too
pricey when it's all said and done for its power output.




You have to be kidding me, no one can be this stupid right? Because the industry right now is calling the next Xbox and the PS4 the 'next gen' and as it stands they both have an absolute zero install base. So, the Wii U already has a larger instal base than the 'next gen' even if only one was ever sold.

So, unless you have some crystal ball that tells you something about the market in five years that no one else knows, your statement is either a failure grammatically, or an exercise in stupidity and conjecture.


And the other thing of it is that the other systems have a good chance of coming out and bombing as well, nothing is guaranteed. By the time the other systems even release, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart, Mario 3DU, Smash Bros., Xenoblade 2, Wind Waker HD remake, Wii Fit U, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi, Dragon Quest X, Wonderful 101, Lego City, and Fire Emblem will be out, and, no matter what anyone says, these are Nintendo's next-gen games and you are just a troll if you really think these aren't going to move systems to all varieties of gamers, no matter how many disqualifiers you want to give for why you hate each one of those games, or no matter how hardcore your super awesome sauce rig is compared to Wii U.

A library like that with games like Monster Hunter Ultimate, Game and Wario, Wii Party U, Injustice Gods Among Us, Aliens, a highly likely Zombi U sequel, and whatever the hell else we don't even know about yet (Retro?), Wii U will have a decent install base before the other systems are even released, and it's already 3mil strong. Plus, games like New Super Mario U, Zombi U, and other launch titles that are selling decently will continue to be picked up by new Wii U buyers. Also, Wii U has a small install base right now, but I don't see how that is an excuse when Zombi U, a third-party game, is selling well, a game that Ubisoft clearly cared more about than EA did for Mass Effect on Wii U. Probably no connection there, though. :-/ It's also funny that you say Wii U is too pricey, but if the other systems are going to be so far beyond Wii U in power, they are going to be much more expensive.

There are lots of holes in your arguments, but, in the end, no one can say as matter-of-factly as you are trying to. The systems could sell truckloads, they could bomb, or maybe one will, maybe Wii U's library by then kicked sales into high gear, you have no clue. The only real clue we have is that Nintendo releases systems and succeeds even if they don't have a 60 million install base because their games and the few third-parties that try here and there sell enough. Nintendo doesn't have to change anything, they know what they are doing and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

The other systems, however, if they bomb and go the power route again, you likely won't see systems from the others after this and the market could crash, leaving Nintendo to save it again. I mean, we can guess at what will happen all day.
User avatar
01 Feb 2013 05:40

jlatimer11 wrote:
Koopzilla wrote:
kirbykiller wrote:they don't mean 4th gen as in consoles but 4th gen as in this is EA's (as a business) 4th generation of consoles they are developing for

They made games on the Genesis, I'm sure of that, possibly SNES, not so sure as I don't care about their games at all, but I distinctly remember them making Genesis games, thus making it gen 5 for them. Regardless they didn't invent games, so this is still gen 8, just because they weren't involved doesn't mean it didn't happen. Either way "gen 4" doesn't make any sense.

They made games for the NES.

Again, the generation metric EA is using in this statement is based in advancements done in 3D graphics, starting with PSX/N64.
User avatar
01 Feb 2013 07:12

If they would have ported Mass Efefct Trilogy to the WiiU I would have bought it. And from what I have been reading, so would many, many other people too. It's a shame they released ME3 only on WiiU and the Trilogy on the other systems and then only to whine about poor sales.

I will be curious to see what games will look like when devs actually use the power of the WiiU. RETRO!!!!!
User avatar
01 Feb 2013 10:06

ddddd wrote:
Koopzilla wrote:
kirbykiller wrote:they don't mean 4th gen as in consoles but 4th gen as in this is EA's (as a business) 4th generation of consoles they are developing for

They made games on the Genesis, I'm sure of that, possibly SNES, not so sure as I don't care about their games at all, but I distinctly remember them making Genesis games, thus making it gen 5 for them. Regardless they didn't invent games, so this is still gen 8, just because they weren't involved doesn't mean it didn't happen. Either way "gen 4" doesn't make any sense.

Again, the generation metric EA is using in this statement is based in advancements done in 3D graphics, starting with PSX/N64.[/quote]

I don't care. I was speaking to him not being sure about EA's SNES development.
User avatar
01 Feb 2013 12:03

bfx9 wrote:I don't think in this economy the wii U will follow that trend.
the PS3 was able to rebound because of it's strong list of IP's
, third party games and there was nothing above it in power.
it also sold as a quality blu ray player.

the wii U has competition from above. there will be two
more advanced systems with killer apps while its trying to
catch steam. the PS3 had no such competition from above

The PS2 also had competition from above in two more powerful systems and everyone developed for it, uporting to the GC and Xbox and it became the best selling console of its generation, if not all time (can't remember if it outsold the Wii or not). Your logic is flawed.
User avatar
01 Feb 2013 12:38

Triforce of the Gods wrote:
bfx9 wrote:I don't think in this economy the wii U will follow that trend.
the PS3 was able to rebound because of it's strong list of IP's
, third party games and there was nothing above it in power.
it also sold as a quality blu ray player.

the wii U has competition from above. there will be two
more advanced systems with killer apps while its trying to
catch steam. the PS3 had no such competition from above

The PS2 also had competition from above in two more powerful systems and everyone developed for it, uporting to the GC and Xbox and it became the best selling console of its generation, if not all time (can't remember if it outsold the Wii or not). Your logic is flawed.


The Wii has yet to reach the PS2's sales.

PS2 sales: 153.6 Million
Wii sales: 99.38 Million
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 00:16

That doesn't mean much. It's not likely any of the three systems for "Gen 4" are going to come close to selling like either one. I'm seeing a much more even split between systems this coming gen war.
No Avatar
02 Feb 2013 02:41

FadedAreWii wrote:
Faver wrote:
bfx9 wrote:dude. the wii U won't have a high install base compared to the next gen systems (the term next gen is determined by the industry people, not geeks trolling the web) the system is too
pricey when it's all said and done for its power output.




You have to be kidding me, no one can be this stupid right? Because the industry right now is calling the next Xbox and the PS4 the 'next gen' and as it stands they both have an absolute zero install base. So, the Wii U already has a larger instal base than the 'next gen' even if only one was ever sold.

So, unless you have some crystal ball that tells you something about the market in five years that no one else knows, your statement is either a failure grammatically, or an exercise in stupidity and conjecture.


And the other thing of it is that the other systems have a good chance of coming out and bombing as well, nothing is guaranteed. By the time the other systems even release, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart, Mario 3DU, Smash Bros., Xenoblade 2, Wind Waker HD remake, Wii Fit U, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi, Dragon Quest X, Wonderful 101, Lego City, and Fire Emblem will be out, and, no matter what anyone says, these are Nintendo's next-gen games and you are just a troll if you really think these aren't going to move systems to all varieties of gamers, no matter how many disqualifiers you want to give for why you hate each one of those games, or no matter how hardcore your super awesome sauce rig is compared to Wii U.

A library like that with games like Monster Hunter Ultimate, Game and Wario, Wii Party U, Injustice Gods Among Us, Aliens, a highly likely Zombi U sequel, and whatever the hell else we don't even know about yet (Retro?), Wii U will have a decent install base before the other systems are even released, and it's already 3mil strong. Plus, games like New Super Mario U, Zombi U, and other launch titles that are selling decently will continue to be picked up by new Wii U buyers. Also, Wii U has a small install base right now, but I don't see how that is an excuse when Zombi U, a third-party game, is selling well, a game that Ubisoft clearly cared more about than EA did for Mass Effect on Wii U. Probably no connection there, though. :-/ It's also funny that you say Wii U is too pricey, but if the other systems are going to be so far beyond Wii U in power, they are going to be much more expensive.

There are lots of holes in your arguments, but, in the end, no one can say as matter-of-factly as you are trying to. The systems could sell truckloads, they could bomb, or maybe one will, maybe Wii U's library by then kicked sales into high gear, you have no clue. The only real clue we have is that Nintendo releases systems and su cceeds even if they don't have a 60 million install base because their games and the few third-parties that try here and there sell enough. Nintendo doesn't have to change anything, they know what they are doing and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

The other systems, however, if they bomb and go the power route again, you likely won't see systems from the others after this and the market could crash, leaving Nintendo to save it again. I mean, we can guess at what will happen all day.



first of all. I have no idea what the future brings.
it's my opinion and who cares if there are holes in my argument.
my opinion is just that. it's an opinion. no one cares.
I think the wii U will will sell 60 million.

I think you believing smash bros and Mario Kart being out before the ps4/720 is sillier
than my opinion. and your a little too optimistic about dragon quest and xenoblade being
killers apps here in the styles. they won't sell well or help Nintendos typical issues here in the west.
stop being a Nintendo nuthugger who has to cast insults at me because
they don't like a meaningless opinion.

i like Nintendo more than you anyway. your just a biased fanboy.
No Avatar
02 Feb 2013 02:51

Triforce of the Gods wrote:
bfx9 wrote:I don't think in this economy the wii U will follow that trend.
the PS3 was able to rebound because of it's strong list of IP's
, third party games and there was nothing above it in power.
it also sold as a quality blu ray player.

the wii U has competition from above. there will be two
more advanced systems with killer apps while its trying to
catch steam. the PS3 had no such competition from above

The PS2 also had competition from above in two more powerful systems and everyone developed for it, uporting to the GC and Xbox and it became the best selling console of its generation, if not all time (can't remember if it outsold the Wii or not). Your logic is flawed.



your failing to understand that the power difference
between the GC, XBOX and ps2 was marginal at best.
I could break down the difference if I wanted. but I won't.

and duh, EVERYONE developed for PS2, something
something wiiU once again is LACKING.

3rd parties with there best teams are NOT on board.

Go ahead and wait for cartoony pikmen and the wonderful 101.
these games are kiddie and pikmen is boring.
hopefully we will get concrete dates for some awesome games at e3.
Nintendo rushed wiiU to the market and developers are dropping off.

the install base wont be where wii was, 3rd parties will be less than
before and the power gap will be very similar once again.

these are my opinions.

in the meanwhile, I am going to enjoy the best made wiiU game to date;
TRINE 2
No Avatar
02 Feb 2013 03:03

what Nintendo needs being a video game company is
a model similar to Xbox live.
Xbox has become the new Nintendo. the gamers system of choice.

the Xbox 360 will overtake the wii here in states soon.
2 years ago that seemed impossible.
Xbox has many many loyalists. very high attach ratios.
the systems are constantly turned on and the games are played much longer.
just about everyone who has a 360 will buy a 720 because
it has a unified account based system that is not system dependent.
everything carries over. it's like going from an iPhone 4S to a 5.
your bio, achievments, customizations and relationships are carried over.
I believe the 720 will outsell the 360.
the software million sellers are ridiculous on 360. and the games are not
collecting dust. they evolve, expand and cater to us, the western
audience with modern amenities.

Nintendo could learn from this.
No Avatar
02 Feb 2013 04:08

bomblord wrote:Let me put it this way.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/ ... 487ec8.png
Horrible comparison. Just flat out bad.
Best the PC has to offer. Best a 7 year old console can offer.
No and no. PC can do better, and that second shot I think is from a trailer, not actual in-game footage, but even still the PS3 can do better.

Best PS3 can offer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0KTUysrwgQ / http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/artic ... 733045.jpg

PC: http://www.geekstir.com/wp-content/uplo ... crysis.jpg / http://gametalkcentral.files.wordpress. ... nslogo.jpg / http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/sha ... _00018.jpg

The first PC shot is from a 2008 game. That last PC shot is from UE4. Every particle in that image gets individually controlled by gravity and can be manipulated to form realistic waves and other cool effects. I think the only way to do this at the moment would be to have a pre-made animation play over the weapon, which wouldn't be dynamic and would quickly become stale. This allows developers to create dynamic animations for effects, have them affect lighting/reflections/shadows/etc., and more. The Samaritan demo was supposedly run on SLI'd geforce cards, which no modern console could match obviously.
No Avatar
02 Feb 2013 04:10

Entity wrote:If they would have ported Mass Efefct Trilogy to the WiiU I would have bought it. And from what I have been reading, so would many, many other people too. It's a shame they released ME3 only on WiiU and the Trilogy on the other systems and then only to whine about poor sales.

I will be curious to see what games will look like when devs actually use the power of the WiiU. RETRO!!!!!


no way. it's cheaper on other systems. and, you can import your
data from ME1 into ME2 into ME3. it's arguably superior in the 360 visually.
these are epic games. bioware is an incredible developer. anyone who loves sci-if RPGs
would have found a way to play it. it's not Nintendos demographic.
lets say it would have tripled its sales if it were TRILOGY instead which is way
more than you could hope for, a game that only sold 30k in it's first month turns
into 90k, is still a flop.

I would expect EA to release sports games with players that have giant cartoony heads.
hope for that and you won't be let down.

if you want FPS's, RPG's, fighters, sports games, hardcore games etc.
then buy a 360 or ps3, the system and games are cheaper, there is a giant library and
look beautiful visually.
why do people want the wiiU to be another PS3 or 360?
dumb.
and who cares what gen EA thinks it is?
EA hates Nintendo as does EPIC, Valve and 1000 other
developers.

That Nintendos problem. Everyone else is happy making
money big money on 360.
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 14:35

sonicspike41 wrote:
bomblord wrote:Let me put it this way.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/ ... 487ec8.png
Horrible comparison. Just flat out bad.
Best the PC has to offer. Best a 7 year old console can offer.
No and no. PC can do better, and that second shot I think is from a trailer, not actual in-game footage, but even still the PS3 can do better.

Best PS3 can offer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0KTUysrwgQ / http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/artic ... 733045.jpg

PC: http://www.geekstir.com/wp-content/uplo ... crysis.jpg / http://gametalkcentral.files.wordpress. ... nslogo.jpg / http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/sha ... _00018.jpg

The first PC shot is from a 2008 game. That last PC shot is from UE4. Every particle in that image gets individually controlled by gravity and can be manipulated to form realistic waves and other cool effects. I think the only way to do this at the moment would be to have a pre-made animation play over the weapon, which wouldn't be dynamic and would quickly become stale. This allows developers to create dynamic animations for effects, have them affect lighting/reflections/shadows/etc., and more. The Samaritan demo was supposedly run on SLI'd geforce cards, which no modern console could match obviously.


The samaritan demo was run on 3 high end nvidia cards, no PC less than several thousand dollars has that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOWN7d0125o This is running in real time on PS3 but it's not released yet so I didn't bother posting it before.

The BF3 screenshot was in game I just scaled it to a similar resolution to make a point about resolution being the only major difference.

The problem with the Crysis 2 engine picture is that it runs on the 360 also, just scaled down in resolution, framerate and sans some of the real time lighting (traded off for baked lighting that looks essentially the same, this is an example of the artistic trickery I mentioned before).

I once again feel the need to put this disclaimer, I am not in anyway implying that there is no difference between a high end PC and a PS360, the point I'm making is that each individual part in a high end pc has 10-20x more raw power than the ps360. However, that same pc is not capable of producing graphics that do 10-20x more than what the ps360 is doing. In 90% of PC games we only see a resolution and framerate bump, but the effects remain the same. Other games such as Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2/3 are doing a lot more but the jump in fidelity is not the same as the extra power should be able to produce, and not even close to the jump we have seen in previous generations.
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 16:54

bfx9 wrote:

I think you believing smash bros and Mario Kart being out before the ps4/720 is sillier
than my opinion.


Scrolled down too far, caught this comment, stopped reading there.

Lol.
No Avatar
02 Feb 2013 21:15

bomblord wrote:The samaritan demo was run on 3 high end nvidia cards, no PC less than several thousand dollars has that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOWN7d0125o This is running in real time on PS3 but it's not released yet so I didn't bother posting it before.

The BF3 screenshot was in game I just scaled it to a similar resolution to make a point about resolution being the only major difference.

The problem with the Crysis 2 engine picture is that it runs on the 360 also, just scaled down in resolution, framerate and sans some of the real time lighting (traded off for baked lighting that looks essentially the same, this is an example of the artistic trickery I mentioned before).

I once again feel the need to put this disclaimer, I am not in anyway implying that there is no difference between a high end PC and a PS360, the point I'm making is that each individual part in a high end pc has 10-20x more raw power than the ps360. However, that same pc is not capable of producing graphics that do 10-20x more than what the ps360 is doing. In 90% of PC games we only see a resolution and framerate bump, but the effects remain the same. Other games such as Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2/3 are doing a lot more but the jump in fidelity is not the same as the extra power should be able to produce, and not even close to the jump we have seen in previous generations.
I hope you realize that 2x, or even 20x, the power will never, ever, translate to 2x/20x the graphics. There's a lot of subtle improvements that can eat up that extra power fast.

If you really want to say consoles from 2006 can keep up with average PC games of today try looking at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSfN7OTUOTA
The Xbox 360 is stuck with DX9 while DX11 is already around 2.5 years old on PCs. Crysis 2 was built with DX9 in mind then upgraded to DX11 after the fact. A game built for DX11 from the ground up would show more striking differences. There's also other things you can't always gleam from simple videos, like particle animations, distortions, DoF, advanced shadows and lighting, reflections, etc.

Maybe you've never stopped to look around in the games you play, but I can tell you even games like Halo 3 have had some breathtaking scenes, and those scenes would only look better on a good PC.
User avatar
02 Feb 2013 21:19

I don't know about him, but I know I don't usually spend time to just stop and look around in games I play cause I'm too busy, you know, actually playing the game.
No Avatar
03 Feb 2013 01:18

Triforce of the Gods wrote:I don't know about him, but I know I don't usually spend time to just stop and look around in games I play cause I'm too busy, you know, actually playing the game.
Okay, then define "playing". I thought the point of gaming was to have fun and have new experiences. Strictly following the goals and objectives set forth isn't what makes a game fun, it's the experiences you have in completing those goals.

I can stop and look around and still "play" a game. The two aren't mutually exclusive you know. Sometimes looking around at the scenery makes a game more immersive, and thus more believable or more fun. Are you saying you never stopped to admire the beautifully crafted scenery in Metroid Prime?
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 09:59

Uh, actually I would say that's what's fun about it. The most fun I have in games is when developers throw tricky curve balls at me in the form of environmental puzzles. Yeah I have to stop and look around then, but that's to play the game, not for the sole purpose of sight seeing.

Which no, I don't just randomly stop playing a Prime game to admire the scenery.
User avatar
03 Feb 2013 17:38

Different strokes. I love and have fun fully exploring every detail of any game world I play in.
No Avatar
04 Feb 2013 00:26

FadedAreWii wrote:
bfx9 wrote:

I think you believing smash bros and Mario Kart being out before the ps4/720 is sillier
than my opinion.


Scrolled down too far, caught this comment, stopped reading there.

Lol.


how is this funny?
the ps4 and 720 could possibly be launched this coming holiday.
one of them most likely will.
there is no Mario Kart announcement for wii U yet
and smash brothers is early in development. smash brawl
took several years.
it is likely they will not be out by Xmas, maybe not by
Xmas 2014 either.

why so funny?
User avatar
04 Feb 2013 00:38

bfx9 wrote:there is no Mario Kart announcement for wii U yet

Pretty sure they announced it at the Nintendo Direct, actually.
No Avatar
04 Feb 2013 16:13

yeah. they also announced Zelda which is years away most likely.
they really didn't announce Mario kart. every system gets a mario kart.

no way its coming this year.
User avatar
04 Feb 2013 18:28

I'd bet money on Mario kart this year easily. You might have an argument with Smash, but your argument that the other systems will be out by the end of this year is pretty weak. Iwata has also said numerous times there are still titles coming out this year they haven't even said anything about yet.
No Avatar
04 Feb 2013 21:14

I hope I'm wrong. it really doesn't matter. thins will come out when
they come out.
I'm hoping those unannounced games to arrive this year are
metroid, star fox or F zero.

I can wait for another kart. I'm happy with 7.
User avatar
06 Feb 2013 07:50

Well this is starting to look more and more like MNN every day. people bashing, arguing, feelings hurt. No EA can't just make up their own generation JUST so they can squeeze Nintendo away EA started in like '82 or something back when NES was THE home console! They're still mad about the E shop debate...ugh I hate EA! Glad I don't support them!

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way