Goriginal Content

A thank-you to you

GN Podcast #470

Xeodrifter diary #3

GN podcast wants you

EoD - Majora's Mask

EoD - Edgy Nintendo
 

GoNintendo 'End of Day' thought - Rayman Legends delay/multiplatform release: What's a fan to do?



Quite a crappy day for Wii U fans, right? Not news that we wanted to hear. You have to take good with the bad, but the bad always fires you up more. Hopefully this article helps you to cool off! You read up and I'll see you in a few, short hours.

Feature by Kevin Cassidy (RawmeatCowboy)


Rough day for Wii U owners today. Rough day for Rayman fans as well. I'm sure you already know now, but just incase you don't, here's the delay. Rayman Legends has been delayed until September, all because the game is going to 360/PS3 as well. A really tough pill to swallow with the game's supposed Wii U release just a few weeks away. This was a big title that many Wii U fans were eager to get their hands on.

Talk about being completely blindsided. Most of us were looking forward to the end of the month as our chance to go hands-on with Rayman Legends, the sequel to the award-winning Rayman Origins. Gorgeous platforming with unique GamePad usage, starring a character that never seems to get the attention he deserves. Now the release comes to us at the end of Summer...and won't be Wii U exclusive.

Nintendo fans absolutely exploded across the internet today, voicing many an angry opinion. Messageboards were overflowing with anger. The Miiverse was pumped full of feisty comments aimed at tearing down Ubisoft. Ubisoft's Facebook page became quite...colorful. Without a doubt, Ubisoft knows that Nintendo fans are not pleased, to say the least.

Now...what to do with all that anger? Some people have already decided to boycott the game. Others are saying Ubisoft just killed their own game, seeing as how Rayman Legends is now going to launch alongside other heavy-hitters near the holiday season. Online petitions have been started to fire back at Ubisoft. These are all options, but are they the best thing to do?

A dev that worked on Rayman Legends took to the internet with an important message. He said that the dev team felt just as hurt as the rest of us. The delay of the game/push to multiplatform was a shock to them as well. They worked very long hours to push for a February launch, doing away with family/friend/personal time. They crunch and crunch, only to find out their hard work has been pushed until September...with more to come for 360/PS3.

The main point this dev wanted to make came to the consumer/game relationship. He didn't want people to crap on the game because of Ubisoft's decision. This is a title that these devs are very proud of and have put a ton of work into. The game itself is going to be fantastic, but now the devs are worried that people will ignore their title all because of this mess. Just imagine putting in years of work on a project, only to have a fiasco come up like this and bite you in the ass? The poor devs had nothing to do with the decision. This move for delay/multiplatform came from higher up.

So...what do we do? What are you feeling about the situation? How do you let Ubisoft know about how you feel, all while not screwing over the devs? It's certainly a catch-22. I can understand all the anger, petitions, boycotts and all that. It's what people do when they're angry. I can understand not wanting to support Ubisoft in this decision...but how do you do that without hurting the devs?

Rough, rough situation. There's no wrong or right answer, but I wanted to see how you felt. We've all had a few hours to think on the matter. Now that things are settling in your mind, what do you plan to do with Rayman Legends? Not going to buy a copy anymore? Going to buy all versions to support the devs? Push for a petition that gets Ubisoft to release the Wii U version earlier? Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
81 total comments (View all)
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 13:15

well i guess is going to be NSMBU, Trine 2, Mighty Switch Force HD, or any other platforming game to fill my need for 2d gaming, i was waiting this game so much! and now is all gone, with all the games that are comming on this year i would not remember Rayman at the end and im going to buy all the other ones (MKU, Mario 3D, Zelda WW HD, MH3 U, X maybe) sorry Ubi, i love you but this move was beyond retard :/
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 13:22

Mike_Intellivision wrote:I think just about anyone can agree that going mulitplatform is fine. It makes business sense.

Rayman Origins sold about 2M over all platforms, according to VGChartz. PS3 was 0.72M., X360 was 0.55M. Wii was 0.42M
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=rayman+origins

These sales were in NA and EU/PAL-land - with the exception of a small number of PS3 sales in Japan (the only platform on which it was released). Data does not include any listed sales from the 3DS version.

It other words, Nintendo was third in line in sales for the original game. So it made no sense for it to just be on the WiiU.

Had this been something all along, people would have excepted it. For it to be touted as a launch exclusive and for it to have delays totaling nearly 10 months and no longer being exclusive in mind-boggling.

One just hopes that time is given to polish anything that is noticed that needs updating as the game is ported to the PS3 and X360. However, I fear the game may be locked in a warehouse, ready to go, only being held to placate Microsoft which can disallow multi-platform games that don't release at the same time.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/microso ... -releases/
However, since Microsoft is allowing the updated Ninja Gaiden 3 which appeared first on the WiiU (which was announced the day BEFORE), that argument appears to be much weaker than some on the Internet would want to make it.

Instead, it appears Ubisoft is wanting to make a statement -- and save some marketing money. Maybe it wants NFC in the WiiU Gamepad. But I also fear it is a business decision and no more work will be done on the WiiU version with any bug fix will be in the form of a patch (and with Ubisoft's track record -- a late patch).

Right now, no one seems to have much faith in the WiiU -- even though it is not overall doing better than the last generation of HD consoles did upon release. It will get real interesting to see how things change when the other manufacturers announce their new units and we learn their capabilities -- as well as their price and their restrictions. That will really change things. What is not known is how.

Mike from Morgantown

(UPDATED TO SHOW Microsoft rules)



You DARE to cite VG ChartZ? A site that has proven time and time again to be wrong about their information by leaps and bounds. What's wrong with you? Rayman Origins didn't even sell over half a million copies worldwide. It started out as a budget, episodic downloadable game series that turned into a disc-based release. It sold less than 50,000 copies in its' first month. Games like that don't sell 2 million copies. Saying it's a moderate success when it was dirt cheap to make does not equate to that kind of sales penetration.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 13:22

void3953 wrote:They basically said they're doing this for the fans.

Considering all the years of outcry and pleading from Nintendo gamers to at least take them seriously, I don't know how they expect anyone to hear something like that and not burst out laughing in their faces.

I'll say this though, If they don't announce ports of ALL of their upcoming games for the Wii U, including expected delays for proper day 1 releases on all platforms (since, you know, the fans and all), then I think we can say that they don't care one iota about Nintendo gamers.

Apparently we're not the kind of "fans" who deserve to be listened to.

Also, I care VERY MUCH if this game is multi-platform. I know that's not a popular opinion since we're supposed to play nice and act like we're above such things because any support is better than nothing. AMIRIGHT??? But it's not. Nintendo platforms and customers should be treated with the same kind of respect that any other customers on any other platform receive. And yet they aren't. We're treated as an after though, if we receive any sort of attention at all. As if being a Nintendo gamer is some sort of disease.

Well, for me it ends here. No 3rd party title will enter my Wii U unless I feel the developer and/or publisher have earned the right to be there. And only those who I feel are treating me with the respect that I feel I deserve will meet that criteria.

So you better start sucking up to me right now 3rd parties or my Wii U will be Nintendo only for the rest of this generation because as of right now, NONE of you are on my to buy list.


And it is precisely because of attitudes like this that Ubosoft did what they did. Suddenly that delay for WiiU doesnt seem so bad after all.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 13:26

ridleysaria wrote:As I've said in other threads, I believe Ubisoft made a decision they knew would anger a lot of folks but nevertheless made that decision because they have to do what's right for their game. At one time Ubisoft seemed to have faith in Wii U, but the poor launch has clearly shaken their confidence. I'm guessing Zombi U sold well below their expectations. I can't say I don't blame them for not wanting to give more exclusives to Nintendo when not even a high quality launch title sells.

To be honest, I never really cared about having Rayman on Wii U. I don't believe Wii U will be a healthy system for third party titles and it may seem shallow to a lot of people here but I'm going to buy games on a platform where I can get achievements. That means more to me than some touch screen gimmicks. So Rayman will be a PS3 purchase for me. I know Wii U will have some excellent Nintendo-developed exclusives, but I won't be counting on quality games from anyone else. Hopefully the rumored forthcoming 3rd party focused Nintendo Direct will prove me wrong.

Lers get something straight. ZombiU is in no way a high quality title. It is a buggy glitchy unpolished mess. I admit it is an innovative use of the gamepad and a great proof of concept but the game itself was obviously rusged with little QA testing. A buggy mess even by Ubisoft standards.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 13:55

Their biggest slip up is waiting till it was all but released to delay it. Now everybody knows it's finished and you're telling everyone that your sitting on a finished game but they have to wait 7 months to get it so the other guys can catch up and not be left out. Not something a consumer wants to hear.

The actual main reason for the delay is so in 7 months the Wii U's userbase will be bigger and they can hit the holiday window and sell it to the younger crowd. I believe Ubi is figuring Nintendo will release a system seller or two in that span so it has the game has a bigger audience to reach along with the 360/PS3 versions.

It's the only logical reason you wouldn't just release the Wii U version as planned and take the PR hit they had to know was coming.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 14:04

Remember when Rayman Origins for the 3DS as delayed from March 2012 to June 2012 to Nov 2012?? That was also going to be a day one purchase, which is fairly rare for me (i usually use cheapassgamer to help nab games at sale prices and don't mind waiting a couple months after release to save some real dough$) ...
when that date shift occurred, i spent my money on other games, including a bargain bin Wii version of Rayman Origins for just $10... i loved it! to be sure. but there you have it: by the time the game released my gaming priorities, and therefor my very limited budget $$ had shifted to other titles and a title that i would've paid full retail for i ended up not grabbing in the format i wanted (3DS).
it's not out of spite or anger that I withheld my purchase ... it was simply that i had $$ budgeted at a time i expected the game to be made available, and when the game finally did arrive my cash had long ago been reallocated.
This is EXACTLY how my buying options will play out for Rayman Legends.
Ubisoft higher ups have cost their company at least $100 of my hard earned income in the past year... I can't imagine what kind of revenues they are missing out on, 'cause there's gotta be more gamers out there with similar spending habits to mine.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 14:21

As bed as I feel for those devs... (I am one myself) ... (and I went through a similar useless crunch only to have our game delayed as well... ) But I'm sorry... those guys got paid... They worked overtime... they got paid... Don't make US the bad guys because we're not buying the game anymore... they got compensated for their efforts ... I understand it's way more fulfilling making a game that many people can enjoy... but Ubisoft took that away from US and THEM... Again I feel for them ... but it doesn't change anything... They're going to have to deal with it... Not buying a game is not going to make these guys homeless... (perhaps if it sells bad enough maybe it will... Oh well) And well... hey at least you have all those 500,000 PS360 guys who were so whiny ... I'm sure they'll be enjoying their game.... so they can rest assured that at least that many will... too bad... so sad... blame your stupid company not the gamers who deserve to be treated a little better than that...
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 14:24

Everyone can just wait and get the game when it's $10-$20 new in October. That's what I'll probably do. Send a message and you get the game (assuming it's good). People like us (consumers) usually just look at sales amounts rather than actual revenue, but revenue is what Ubisoft cares about, so it can do "good numbers" on the Wii U and not generate much money for the publisher.

And yes, Legends will be $20 by October or at least November if not less than that on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
No Avatar
08 Feb 2013 15:07

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:And it is precisely because of attitudes like this that Ubosoft did what they did. Suddenly that delay for WiiU doesnt seem so bad after all.

And it is precisely because of attitudes like yours that 3rd parties pull this kind of crap and get away with it.

My roommate was rather interested in this game and we had tentative plans to actually buy it when it came out, which completely evaporated after this stunt. I know I'm not buying it and he has 3 or 4 other games he knows he's going to be getting between now and when (if) they release it finally.

I have every right to be upset with any decisions that I do not agree with and I do not agree with the delay to pander to Sony and MS gamers when I know for a FACT that it would never be reciprocated and I do not agree with the title being taken multiplatform when it was announced as exclusive originally. Since it is up to Ubisoft to convince ME to do business with them and NOT the other way around, they simply do not have a leg to stand on whereas I have all the power, which is exactly as it should be. You can say I'm being immature and throwing a tantrum but guess what? I'M ALLOWED TO! It's MY money and if they want it they have to play ball the way I SAY.

Too many developers have treated me like I'm a second class citizen because I didn't buy the system that they wanted me to. Tough. I buy Nintendo systems. If you don't like that, then don't worry about what I am doing and get back to the people you do care about. But never, ever, EVER jerk me around. This will be generation 4 that this is happening and this stupidity is beyond old. Your games simply aren't good enough to woo me away to another platform. However, make better games that I actually want to play (never going to happen) and we can talk. Until then, support the platforms that I buy with the respect that I DESERVE or take a walk.

Gamers have practically become walking doormats. It's sick really.

I will buy your product if you respect me. Right now, you OBVIOUSLY do not. And for anyone who disagrees with that? Remember, if you're not willing to respect and stand up for yourself, NO ONE ELSE WILL. Anyone willing to roll over for this kind of chicanery obviously does not and I feel very, very sorry for you.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 15:52

Regardless of what happened on Ubisoft's end, one thing is certain: this is NOT good for Nintendo, and not good for the Wii U's image. Another major "launch window" game delay was very much not what the Wii U needed.

Right now, the next Wii U game I can think of that I'm planning on getting is Monster Hunter. In March. 4 months after the system launched. I haven't bought anything retail on Wii U since said launch.

4 months is a long time. I'm glad I have my 3DS and my PS3 and that my Wii U was a gift or else I'd probably feel like it was a waste of money right now. It's becoming a harder and harder sell with new consoles, and unless Microsoft and Sony really have some solid launch support with whatever their next devices are, they're going to have the same problems Wii U is having right now -- just like the Vita is.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 17:20

void3953 wrote:
BlueRangerVegeta wrote:And it is precisely because of attitudes like this that Ubosoft did what they did. Suddenly that delay for WiiU doesnt seem so bad after all.

And it is precisely because of attitudes like yours that 3rd parties pull this kind of crap and get away with it.

My roommate was rather interested in this game and we had tentative plans to actually buy it when it came out, which completely evaporated after this stunt. I know I'm not buying it and he has 3 or 4 other games he knows he's going to be getting between now and when (if) they release it finally.

I have every right to be upset with any decisions that I do not agree with and I do not agree with the delay to pander to Sony and MS gamers when I know for a FACT that it would never be reciprocated and I do not agree with the title being taken multiplatform when it was announced as exclusive originally. Since it is up to Ubisoft to convince ME to do business with them and NOT the other way around, they simply do not have a leg to stand on whereas I have all the power, which is exactly as it should be. You can say I'm being immature and throwing a tantrum but guess what? I'M ALLOWED TO! It's MY money and if they want it they have to play ball the way I SAY.

Too many developers have treated me like I'm a second class citizen because I didn't buy the system that they wanted me to. Tough. I buy Nintendo systems. If you don't like that, then don't worry about what I am doing and get back to the people you do care about. But never, ever, EVER jerk me around. This will be generation 4 that this is happening and this stupidity is beyond old. Your games simply aren't good enough to woo me away to another platform. However, make better games that I actually want to play (never going to happen) and we can talk. Until then, support the platforms that I buy with the respect that I DESERVE or take a walk.

Gamers have practically become walking doormats. It's sick really.

I will buy your product if you respect me. Right now, you OBVIOUSLY do not. And for anyone who disagrees with that? Remember, if you're not willing to respect and stand up for yourself, NO ONE ELSE WILL. Anyone willing to roll over for this kind of chicanery obviously does not and I feel very, very sorry for you.
but Nintendo is far from perfect themselves
Whatever man I'm not the 1 starting to boycott anybody ' who is not Nintendo fanboyism I don't Nintendo is far from perfect themselves
No Avatar
08 Feb 2013 17:28

BlueRangerVegeta wrote: but Nintendo is far from perfect themselves
Whatever man I'm not the 1 starting to boycott anybody ' who is not Nintendo fanboyism I don't Nintendo is far from perfect themselves

Who said anything about Nintendo being perfect? They make their share of mistakes but they would NEVER screw over their own market like 3rd parties have been doing to Nintendo gamers for generations.

3rd parties could give a rats ass about Nintendo gamers. Their entire existence seems to be to make Sony and MS happy. Until they realize that it's me, the customer, that they're supposed to be pleasing then they can all take a flying leap.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 17:37

void3953 wrote:
BlueRangerVegeta wrote: but Nintendo is far from perfect themselves
Whatever man I'm not the 1 starting to boycott anybody ' who is not Nintendo fanboyism I don't Nintendo is far from perfect themselves

Who said anything about Nintendo being perfect? They make their share of mistakes but they would NEVER screw over their own market like 3rd parties have been doing to Nintendo gamers for generations.

3rd parties could give a rats ass about Nintendo gamers. Their entire existence seems to be to make Sony and MS happy. Until they realize that it's me, the customer, that they're supposed to be pleasing then they can all take a flying leap.

Really story based DL coming out for Fire coming out for Fire Emblem and and being announced for Pokemon long before the games were ever finished the vast majority of it i the vast majority of it is not
for virtua consul games we have already bough
year lon droughts on Wi on more than 1 occas
I seem to remember a huge fight to get eggs in a blade Chronicles last story and Pandora's Tower
of 5 of 50 dollar to the platform to the plat 2 p earth that cou be bothered to get be bothered to get online features like multi player or custom stages
Nintendo has they just seem to get away with i they just seem to get away with it better because their fa scene blonde for
No Avatar
08 Feb 2013 17:44

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:Really story based DL coming out for Fire coming out for Fire Emblem and and being announced for Pokemon long before the games were ever finished the vast majority of it i the vast majority of it is not
for virtua consul games we have already bough
year lon droughts on Wi on more than 1 occas
I seem to remember a huge fight to get eggs in a blade Chronicles last story and Pandora's Tower
of 5 of 50 dollar to the platform to the plat 2 p earth that cou be bothered to get be bothered to get online features like multi player or custom stages
Nintendo has they just seem to get away with i they just seem to get away with it better because their fa scene blonde for

I can't understand a thing you wrote there.

And I'm not joking either. I really don't know what you're trying to say.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 17:59

void3953 wrote:
BlueRangerVegeta wrote:Really story based DL coming out for Fire coming out for Fire Emblem and and being announced for Pokemon long before the games were ever finished the vast majority of it i the vast majority of it is not
for virtua consul games we have already bough
year lon droughts on Wi on more than 1 occas
I seem to remember a huge fight to get eggs in a blade Chronicles last story and Pandora's Tower
of 5 of 50 dollar to the platform to the plat 2 p earth that cou be bothered to get be bothered to get online features like multi player or custom stages
Nintendo has they just seem to get away with i they just seem to get away with it better because their fa scene blonde for

I can't understand a thing you wrote there.

And I'm not joking either. I really don't know what you're trying to say.

Yeah I know, sorry about that, Droid Razr sucks. I am still trying to make the voice commands work properly.

Anyways, Nintendo has done it's fair share of screwing fans over too.
Remember day 1 DLC for Fire Emblem Awakening? Day 1 DLC was just announced for a Pokemon game yesterday, a game still months away, most of it is paid content. And how about all that story based content they are charging for?
Remember Nintendo asking us to rebuy our VC games for 3DS, and again on WiiU?
Remember the Wii droughts? There were at least a couple occasions where we went nearly a year or more without any single good games for the platform. And no, titles like Rhythem Heaven Fever, Wii Fit Plus, Fortune w/e it's called, and Wii Music don't count.
Remember the fight we had to put up to get Xenoblade Chronicles? If it weren't for XSeed we wouldn't have Last Story, and we are still waiting for Pandora's Tower (thanks again not to Nintendo, but XSeed)
Remember all those $50, 2D offline platformers? Nintendo charging full price for NSMBW, DKCR, and KR2D was just insulting, and something no other company except Ubisoft or Microsoft would try to pull on it's fanbase. At least not without first adding online multiplayer and level custimization.
The point is Nintendo screws over it's fanbase plenty of times this last gen. alone. Don't pretend they are some perfect charity that only cares about the fans, they are no better than Sony or WB or any of those other companies. The only real difference is that their fans seem to be a lot blinder than most others and are willing to take a lot more crap from Nintendo. And boycotting other 3rd party Nintendo games (besides Rayman of course) only makes the situation worse, not better.

As for 3rd parties not supporting Wii, I don't blame them. I wouldn't have either. Porting games over to that one system doubled their costs because they essentially had to make 2 different games, and given that even the versions that were better on Wii (like Force Unleashed 1 and Ghostbusters) didn't sell well, why bother? Other great titles like Trauma Center didn't sell very well, so again, why bother? It sucks, I know, but the fault lies with Nintendo having to be so different. And it looks like a mistake they are repeating with WiiU. I tolerated it before because at least with Nintendo games I didn't have to deal with stupid DLC and microtransactions, but now that Nintendo has joined in on nickeling and diming us, and selling us incomplete games (seriously, Fire Emblem has way too much story based content cut out of it and ready to go before the cart ever went gold), I am finding it very hard to justify holding onto any of their systems at all.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 19:15

I have an idea. How about everybody just bands together as Nintendo fans (especially those who own multiple consoles) and we make a pledge to ONLY buy the Wii U version! In the eyes of the "men in ties", this would mean they have wasted resources and money to port a game to 2 other systems and that was a HUGE business mistake. This way, the developers get to see us enjoy the game the way they intended, and the "higher-ups" take the hit and maybe rethink ever doing that again. Sales numbers don't lie, so let's stick it to them! If we boycott the game. they will just not see Wii U as a viable platform to release big titles on (like EA thinks). :(
No Avatar
08 Feb 2013 21:32

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
Yeah I know, sorry about that, Droid Razr sucks. I am still trying to make the voice commands work properly.

Anyways, Nintendo has done it's fair share of screwing fans over too.
Remember day 1 DLC for Fire Emblem Awakening? Day 1 DLC was just announced for a Pokemon game yesterday, a game still months away, most of it is paid content. And how about all that story based content they are charging for?


The Fire Emblem DLC situation was handled perfectly. I don't remember if they had the first DLC available on day 1 but it was also free for the first month it was available. Besides, even if it was available day 1, they're small so it wouldn't have been difficult to actually have developed it after the game had gone gold. And again, FREE FOR A MONTH! Who else does that? And then it didn't vanish like what other developers do with limited DLC or retailer exclusive DLC, no it simply became available for a small fee. And none of the DLC has any baring on the game. None of it changes the story or has any real impact on how it plays. You can even pick and choose whichever characters you like and ignore the others. Sounds pretty well done to me.

As for Pokemon X and Y, I don't know anything about that so I'd have to look it up. I've been too busy being entertained by watching Ubisoft self destruct. If it's anything like the way Nintendo handled Fire Emblem, you're inventing a problem that isn't there.

Remember Nintendo asking us to rebuy our VC games for 3DS, and again on WiiU?


I didn't know I had to rebuy all my Wii VC games just so I can play them in Wii Mode. Oh, that's right: YOU DON'T HAVE TO! That's a massive amount of hyperbole there bub. You need to reign that in. And if you're not happy about the way Nintendo is handling it, you must absolutely DESPISE Sony and MS.

Remember the Wii droughts? There were at least a couple occasions where we went nearly a year or more without any single good games for the platform. And no, titles like Rhythem Heaven Fever, Wii Fit Plus, Fortune w/e it's called, and Wii Music don't count.


They might not count to you but I'm sure more than a few people were perfectly happy with them. You want to see a drought, try the PS3 or the 360. There's next to nothing on those systems that I'm interested in at all. I don't like shooters and I don't like gory violent games that celebrate the fact that they're gory and violent. And that's why I don't own either of those systems. I'd be going years and years between titles that I wanted.

Besides, I remember that the PS2 was being severely bashed for its first year for having no good games. And that was after coming off the PS1 and having everyone supporting them. It happens to all systems for different reasons for different people.

Remember the fight we had to put up to get Xenoblade Chronicles? If it weren't for XSeed we wouldn't have Last Story, and we are still waiting for Pandora's Tower (thanks again not to Nintendo, but XSeed)


So Nintendo didn't allow them to publish the games then? They must have liberated them from Nintendo headquarters and published them without their consent then, huh? Besides, without Nintendo the games would have never existed for you to attack them over. Funny, no?

Remember all those $50, 2D offline platformers? Nintendo charging full price for NSMBW, DKCR, and KR2D was just insulting, and something no other company except Ubisoft or Microsoft would try to pull on it's fanbase. At least not without first adding online multiplayer and level custimization.


Remember all those online 2D platforms on other platforms? You know, the ones that don't exist because of a little thing called physics? Yeah, that's actually a pretty big sticking point. Something like NSMBWii and NSMBU would actually be impossible to do online. A lot of people don't know that. And they attack Nintendo for the failings of the universe. Totally fair.

As for a level editor, attack everyone on that one. Many, many games come out without any way to alter them to build levels of your own. If you think that should be a standard feature, you can't single out Nintendo alone. Sure you mention MS and Ubi but come on. You need to blame EVERYONE!

The point is Nintendo screws over it's fanbase plenty of times this last gen. alone. Don't pretend they are some perfect charity that only cares about the fans, they are no better than Sony or WB or any of those other companies. The only real difference is that their fans seem to be a lot blinder than most others and are willing to take a lot more crap from Nintendo. And boycotting other 3rd party Nintendo games (besides Rayman of course) only makes the situation worse, not better.


Charity? Who said that? Nintendo does all sorts of things that I really don't agree with. But none of them are anywhere near as deal breaking as what Sony, MS, and 3rd parties have been doing. Charging a monthly fee for online ala Live? Online Passes at ALL? The completely screwed up nature of DLC that most developers are putting out? Paying developers to support their systems? (that's actually INCREDIBLY dangerous) Pretty much handing out their customers personal information? Selling overpriced broken hardware?

As for 3rd parties not supporting Wii, I don't blame them. I wouldn't have either. Porting games over to that one system doubled their costs because they essentially had to make 2 different games, and given that even the versions that were better on Wii (like Force Unleashed 1 and Ghostbusters) didn't sell well, why bother? Other great titles like Trauma Center didn't sell very well, so again, why bother? It sucks, I know, but the fault lies with Nintendo having to be so different. And it looks like a mistake they are repeating with WiiU. I tolerated it before because at least with Nintendo games I didn't have to deal with stupid DLC and microtransactions, but now that Nintendo has joined in on nickeling and diming us, and selling us incomplete games (seriously, Fire Emblem has way too much story based content cut out of it and ready to go before the cart ever went gold), I am finding it very hard to justify holding onto any of their systems at all.


I know. I can't believe how much more expensive PS2/Xbox/GC type games became to develop on the Wii. What with them being in a lower resolution with far less resources needing far fewer programers and artists and... Wait a minute. That sounds like they should be quite a bit CHEAPER to make than PS3 or 360 games.

The PS2 received something like 50% of the games it's generation exclusively. For some reason it wasn't an issue for 3rd parties to make a ton of exclusive games for the PS2. And high quality exclusives as well. But it became and issue to put out games on the Wii even though it was outselling it at its height for years.

When someone can explain to me why it became impossible to support the Wii with exclusive games akin to what the PS2 received, then we can have a real discussion about the issue. Instead the Wii was used as a dumping ground or as a piggy bank to snatch cash from to support 3rd parties REAL games.

Again, Nintendo isn't perfect. I don't give them a pass for everything that they do. I knew Operation Rainfall was stupid to begin with though. I'm actually surprised that any of them made it over, let alone all of them. I know Nintendo has a tendency to be very protective of their games even though I'm not happy about it. But I still understood why the games didn't come over from Nintendo directly: They weren't going to sell. And they didn't. Not well enough for Nintendo to publish them. But instead they allowed others to bring them over. I'm okay with that, and actually rather surprised. Maybe they'll start allowing other developers to bring more of their games over. There's a ton of games that are Japan only that I'd love to play.

Of course I also think that making their systems region locked is beyond stupid. That I don't understand and I wish they would stop it. I'm not certain at all why they do it, but they've always done it. It's a strange practice that they weren't applying to their handhelds until the DS. Really, that has to be the one thing that really baffles me about them.

But those issues are NOTHING compared to what Sony, MS and 3rd parties have been doing for years now. It's despicable what they're allowed to get away with. But let's continue to attack Nintendo for their issues while completely giving everyone else a pass because, well: Nintendo.
User avatar
08 Feb 2013 21:39

Ya know what, I bet the game would sell even more now if they somehow kept the Feb.26 date for Wii U with so much attention that it has gained. Ubisoft would look like good guys who listen to fans.

They won't, of course. The smart decision is to send it out to die in a warzone. 8)


I like this idea too:
Ubisoft should release the game digitally on the eShop for a month (February 26th to March 26th), and that way the hardcore fans that care can get the game when they were promised it, Ubisoft doesn't have to ship retail copies/advertise the game twice, and the Rayman Legend retail version will be out just in time for the holidays.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47490545&postcount=498
No Avatar
09 Feb 2013 14:44

Origins hit the bargain bin last holiday as a multiplatform release. So instead of buying my 3 full price copies, I'll just wait for legends to hit that and get it used. And I will enjoy my used copy.

Anyone notice how this happens with colorful, exciting content more often? SimCity and Rayman are off my radar for this kind of crap.
User avatar
09 Feb 2013 19:33

BlueRangerVegeta wrote:
Remember all those $50, 2D offline platformers? Nintendo charging full price for NSMBW, DKCR, and KR2D was just insulting, and something no other company except Ubisoft or Microsoft would try to pull on it's fanbase. At least not without first adding online multiplayer and level custimization.

I disagree. The only one out of those which I'd have trouble justifying full price is NSMBW. I loved every minute of DKCR, I play it often, and it's easily my favorite 2D Platformer, online or not. KRTD, I can't judge as I haven't played it. From what I've seen, it seems like something worth full price, it just doesn't interest me.

One game I tend to play on my PS3 is LBP2. It has online and extremely robust level creation. And yet I'd still play something like DKCR anyday. The lag online, while not bad, just makes some levels annoying to play online and kind of kills the experience at times. It's not a persistent thing, but it's enough to show me that those 2 features are not what defines a game's worth to me.


Anyways, as for the delay/porting, that annoys me, for sure, but it's still a game I really want. I'll still be getting the Wii U version.
User avatar
11 Feb 2013 11:11

ss117 wrote:I have an idea. How about everybody just bands together as Nintendo fans (especially those who own multiple consoles) and we make a pledge to ONLY buy the Wii U version! In the eyes of the "men in ties", this would mean they have wasted resources and money to port a game to 2 other systems and that was a HUGE business mistake. This way, the developers get to see us enjoy the game the way they intended, and the "higher-ups" take the hit and maybe rethink ever doing that again. Sales numbers don't lie, so let's stick it to them! If we boycott the game. they will just not see Wii U as a viable platform to release big titles on (like EA thinks). :(


In a perfect world I think that should happen; I have my doubts. Anyway the suggestion that could happen made me less angry.

On a similar note, I'm worried as of now about the Wii U, this is not like a portable system we know it will be updated in regards of hardware (commodity, RAM (DSI)). This is a game console, and one that is betting in alternate modes of playing, (which I'm still not seeing) to compensate on presentation. I'm still waiting for a killer app.
User avatar
11 Feb 2013 21:23

I honestly wasnt looking forward to this title either way. Although I sympathize with the fans who got slapped in the face.

If i were in their shoes though? Hm. Well if Starcraft 2 heart of the swarm got delayed 6 months to go multi... I'd be very angry.. but i think i wouldnt boycott. certainly not for brand loyalty. I'm so done with that nonsense
User avatar
12 Feb 2013 08:50

WAR on the hardcore gamers
as Ubisoft is their pawn due to most of their upcoming games are for PS3, 360 and PC and NOT the Wii U
User avatar
13 Feb 2013 05:49

@BlueRangerVegeta

Aside from a few things, I agree. Those few things:

- NSMBW is the only insulting full-price game of the bunch you mentioned.

- What was the last game/platformer you played with customizable levels? The only things I can think of are Trials and Excitebike on WiiWare (GASP, NINTENDO) of all things. For that matter, what platformers are you playing, and what ones have online? I can barely think of any. Maybe Sonic 4-2?

- Don't see why Rhythm Heaven doesn't count.

- Pretty much anything you said after your bullet points.

Also, the Fire Emblem and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DLC don't count. They were announced ahead of time solely because they already exist in Japan. It's not like they are made new DLC before the games. It was actually new for Japan.

If anything, you should be mad that they weren't just included in the localization, but the logic falls on Nintendo's intent to be "fair", since Japanese players had to pay for the DLC, so we have to pay for them too, even though it's all really old.

@void3953

1. He wasn't talking about Pokemon X/Y. Or shouldn't have been, since no DLC was announced for that. Mystery Dungeon comes out next month, so he was a little off.

2. You missed the point. Pretty sure it's the fact you have to pay to upgrade them to be on the Wii U menu to play on the gamepad, which is dumb.

3. You can't tell him there was no drought on Wii because people liked the games he mentioned, then say PS360 had droughts because YOU didn't like games. I've seen only maybe one or two droughts, not very long ones, for those consoles, and usually if there weren't retail titles, there were good XBLA/PSN titles filling the void. Something Wii never had.

4. Another missing the point, and nonsense on your part. Like you're purposely acting crazy. If it weren't for XSEED contacting Nintendo, they wouldn't be coming here. Where did your comments even come from?

5. While I can't think of any online platformers at the moment, that whole physics thing sounds like BS. How is that any different from fighting games and racing games needing the timing right, and shooters where precision can get messed up by connections?

You act like platformers are some special genre that has so many problems preventing it from being able to be online, when pretty much every genre has its share of things that are absolutely dependent on a good connection otherwise it throws off the whole game. I'm almost positive there are some on PSN/XBLA. Not sure if Castlevania HD whatever counts, but I bet I could find some if I looked hard enough. Splosion Man? Dunno, but it could be done. Online would work fine and "omg it'd never work" is just an apologist answer to defend Nintendo for something that could easily be done.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way