Goriginal Content

GN Podcast #467

Renegade Kid reveal!

EoD - Miiverse use

EoD - TV Vs. Pocket

EoD - Warriors cast

EoD - SS motion
 

CryEngine 3 fully supports Wii U

Coming from the Shadow of the Eternals Facebook page...



Thanks to Pellican for the heads up!

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
24 total comments (View all)
No Avatar
15 May 2013 15:18

Bu-bu-but slow CPU!
User avatar
15 May 2013 15:19

Isn't CryEngine 3 heavy on CPU usage... and the Wii U fully supports it? I smell even more bullshit on how Frosbite 3 can't run on the Wii U. Damn it EA.
User avatar
15 May 2013 15:20

BanetheKira wrote:Isn't CryEngine 3 heavy on CPU usage... and the Wii U fully supports it? I smell even more bullshit on how Frosbite 3 can't run on the Wii U. Damn it EA.


I was going to say something along these lines.

There are ways to do things ... if you want to.
No Avatar
Anonymous
15 May 2013 15:25

EA is worst company of the year two years running. They are trying to go for three and they needed are help. So instead of support nintendo they said screw that. That would mess them up from getting it next year. See EA has a plan. Just not a very go one.
User avatar
15 May 2013 15:33

Yeah, the thing is that this means nothing!

CryEngine3 can fully support a calculator!

It's the calculator that can't fully support CryEngine3!

In other words, yeah the engine can max out the console, but the console can't max out the engine!

THAT'S the problem! This isn't something awesome to cheer about!
No Avatar
15 May 2013 15:40

The WiiU CPU is slow but more powerful, core to core, than the PS4 one for most part. It's a quite powerful console and Cry Engine 3 will proove it. Good news! I want Super Luigi FTP with this engine. ;)
User avatar
15 May 2013 15:45

@Chased You are so full of crap. Crysis 3 is one of the most demanding games around. Its mostly used as a benchmark for new PC builds.

Crytek have already stated they even had the engine running AND their game on the Wii U before EA killed the project.

CryEngine 3 produces visuals far superior to anything DICE has shown us with BF4, so we are supposed to believe that the Wii U can run a far more intensive and visually superior engine like CryEngine 3, yet it chokes on the lesser intensive and less visually appealing Frostbite 2 and FB3.

Either DICE's engines are soooo bloated and ineffecient, or they are straight up lying to avoid a PR nightmare if they were to just say "We don't think we would make a profit porting our game to Nintendo, so we aren't going to do it".... This is actually really bad advertising for their engine, now that developers the world over can clearly see if they choose CryEngine 3 over FB3, they will not only get a visually superior end result, but on lesser hardware as well.... Somethign tells me DICE doesn't want that word to spread around development communities that their code is mostly bloated and ineffecient.
No Avatar
15 May 2013 15:47

no disrespect to anyone but it would be weird for a kickstarter team to be able to port and modify intensively a commercial engine. Since only a few studios do that, it would be harder for a few individual. I think i know nothing about it but it seems logical enough.

the metric used to say that the wii u cpu could also be used to point out that both ps4 and xbox4 cpus are slower in that area than the ps3 cell and the 360 cpu . If the wii u cpu was so inferior to the 360 cpu in all areas how the hell the games would be even remotely close with a cpu clocked at only a third of the 360 cpu. You can have it both way, it's either way inferior than the 360 cpu and the game would show that or it's just a different take on the subject. And conveniently the same people who called the wii cpu slow forgot also that they thought the ps4 cpu was surely going to be a 4ghz monster coupled with a cell for background downloading.
User avatar
15 May 2013 15:50

Cryengine 3 is so CPU heavy, it even profits from AMD FX 8 cores and "boosts" them into i7 performance regions (8 "fx" cores VS 4 "i7" cores). And yet, being so dependand on Multicore... And using the CPU heavily... It runs on Wii U. Just shows how full of sh*t Dice and EA are.
User avatar
15 May 2013 16:05

Didn't Crytek already come out and say it runs flawlessly on the Wii U?
User avatar
15 May 2013 16:08

Chased wrote:Yeah, the thing is that this means nothing!

CryEngine3 can fully support a calculator!

It's the calculator that can't fully support CryEngine3!

In other words, yeah the engine can max out the console, but the console can't max out the engine!

THAT'S the problem! This isn't something awesome to cheer about!


ED2 looks pretty damn sexy. :wink:
User avatar
15 May 2013 16:12

Of course it does. The problem is you have business's saying stupid things because of personal beefs.
User avatar
15 May 2013 17:13

@element187

Thank you for your kind words, sir!

First of all, you didn't even understand what I wrote! Yes, the CE3 engine can max out the WiiU.It's the WiiU that CAN'T max out the engine! And neither can Crysis3 do! The CE3 is more powerful than what you saw in C3 and saying that an engine fully supports a machine tells us nothing at all! For all we know, they could be saying that it is very scalable and can run even on a PS2(yeah, an exaggeration #dealwithit)...

Second of all:

"CryEngine 3 produces visuals far superior to anything DICE has shown us with BF4..."

>>>LOL, just NO!
User avatar
15 May 2013 17:40

kdognumba1 wrote:Of course it does. The problem is you have business's saying stupid things because of personal beefs.


@ *referring to bold*

No doubt. It's as if they can't get over themselves and let bygones be bygones.
User avatar
15 May 2013 17:59

Wow man, this, and Frostbite? Cmon EA, why you so mad?
User avatar
15 May 2013 18:06

It quite obvious that the Wii U cannot utilize many of the features that Cryengine 3 has like Direct X11 (Nintendo uses OpenGL) among other features that only high end PC's can handle. That should be clear for all of us.

However, this proves that the explanation DICE gave about why Battlefield 4 was not for Wii U because the engine does not support it is total BS. CryEngine 3 supports Xbox360, PS3 and Wii u fully and it displays amazing graphics on each of them.The latest Frostbite engine supports Xbox360 and PS3, but not Wii U that is more powerful than them (not too much but games like Deus Ex and Most Wanted U prove it). We would understand if it was like the case of Unreal Engine 4 that is aimed for high end systems and Wii U is not one of them (UE3 supports it very well and I am ok with it).

@Chased

"CryEngine 3 produces visuals far superior to anything DICE has shown us with BF4..."

It could be true. The battlefield 4 footage was shown for high end PC and next gen consoles. but I have not seen a gameplay video where we can compare Crysis3 Vs Batthefield 4 on an Xbox360, a current gen system. (but does look better than BF3)
User avatar
15 May 2013 18:13

@kdognumba1 This.

Also all of these fancy new engines are being trumpeted as scale-able too. Hmm. Can't be very well developed if they honestly [lol] can't scale it to a system more powerful than the PS360! :P
User avatar
15 May 2013 19:15

I also find it quite funny that the Engine is fully functional on WiiU, yet, the OWNERS of the engine won't make a game for WiiU... :/ Well, not funny really.
User avatar
15 May 2013 20:25

Elfteiroh wrote:I also find it quite funny that the Engine is fully functional on WiiU, yet, the OWNERS of the engine won't make a game for WiiU... :/ Well, not funny really.


Crytek will all set to release Crysis 3 on the U but EA pulled the plug
User avatar
15 May 2013 23:15

I thought all these new engines were supposed to be somewhat scalable anyways. Good to hear none the less.
User avatar
16 May 2013 05:09

Engines, engines, engines.......

Unreal..... Epic are asshats, and IMO they will come to realise this soon enough. Crytek have stated on at least one occasion as to how EASY it was to get CE3 up-and-running on the Wii U hardware, anyone that thinks it can't offer the engine any more is just spinning a s****y light on it in traditional trollish/hater fashion. It might not push it super far, but I can damn well garuantee that it will be CLOSER to PC builds , more so than PS3/360. Why some people can't just admit that it IS more powerful than either of those is beyond me (regardless of the size of the leap), sans trying to back up their ridiculous argument by nit-picking.

End of the day: EA could have put their engine on Wii U. They didn't want to because (another heavily denied fact on they way) they, like many other publishers, are LOSING MONEY ON EVERYTHING.

/rant.
User avatar
16 May 2013 07:50

If we don't get any games using the engine, who cares?
User avatar
16 May 2013 19:00

Because it needs to be pointed out that these things work even though some companies want to lie and say they don't. They are trying to give Nintendo a bad image rather than themselves because they don't want to admit to being crybabies or that they don't want to have to put an extra effort forth. Thing is, they could simply say we don't wan' to take the risk and be done with it, but instead they want to say Wii U can't handle it or make up any excuse to put the blame on Nintendo and give them a bad image. This crap needs to be out in the open, but as soon as you say anyone has it out for Nintendo you are just a fanboy or conspiracy theorist. I guess I'd rather be those things than a sheep.
User avatar
16 May 2013 20:13

FadedAreWii wrote:Because it needs to be pointed out that these things work even though some companies want to lie and say they don't. They are trying to give Nintendo a bad image rather than themselves because they don't want to admit to being crybabies or that they don't want to have to put an extra effort forth. Thing is, they could simply say we don't wan' to take the risk and be done with it, but instead they want to say Wii U can't handle it or make up any excuse to put the blame on Nintendo and give them a bad image. This crap needs to be out in the open, but as soon as you say anyone has it out for Nintendo you are just a fanboy or conspiracy theorist. I guess I'd rather be those things than a sheep.

Eh, I'm an anti-conspiracy theorist, and even I must admit there is something fishy here.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way