Goriginal Content

EoD - Back in black

EoD - Smash controls

EoD - Instagram fun

Xeodrifter diary #13

GN Podcast #480

EoD - Smash Wii U!
 

Nintendo customer service - No way to transfer Wii U to Wii U content, may be fixed in the future

Coming from a Nintendo customer service rep...

Regarding transferring content from one Wii U system to another Wii U, as you may be aware, I'm sorry to say this is not possible at this time. While we are looking into this feature as a possibility for the future, it's important to note that we don't know if or when this would happen; however, rest assured that your interest in this has been documented and forwarded along to our other departments.

Thanks to Kolma for the heads up!

Also check out:
Discussion Preview
23 total comments (View all)
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:07

They are likely just talking about a transfer tool. If you called them and wanted to buy the Zelda bundle and sell your old system and made a big enough deal, they can transfer your account to another system. They don't like to do it for whatever reason, but they can.
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:09

It's only a matter of time.
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:10

I imagine that this means not a way for an individual to move content.

If you get repairs done -- and you end up with a new WiiU -- I bet there is a way for Nintendo to make the transfer.
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:13

I wonder if when this ever becomes available it will also transfer Miiverse system bans... :?:
No Avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:15

You know, other platform holders had this "problem" licked awhile ago. They should probably look into that.
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:28

pokemaster515 wrote:I wonder if when this ever becomes available it will also transfer Miiverse system bans... :?:


You don't need a Wii U to know that you're banned from Miiverse.
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:36

I know that individual accounts can get banned and stuff but how does a system ban work? Basically, does transferring your games and saves etc. transfer whatever marks a system as "banned" aswell?
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:37

This is so stupid! Because like me, I would totally buy the Zelda Wii U, even already owning a Wii U (cause i'm a sucker) and many other people would to! They would sell more systems that way!!
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:38

That includes saves which sucks. I've posted this before, but I had 2 Wii U's in my house and had to get rid of one because I was unable to copy my save for NSMBU. It's stuff like this that makes me question if I'm going to continue supporting Nintendo consoles. I'm getting more play from the 3DS and thinking the Wii U could be my last console with stupid decisions like this one and below:
1. USB port not supplying enough power for portable drives. (Even the Wii supplied enough power)
2. No Dolby Digital 5.1 (only Pro logic support)
3. No LAN port (I mean, CMON!)
4. eShop accounting system sucks (should be universal for all platforms).
5. Unable to customize user interface (I am so bloody sick of the white/grey crap).
6. Unable to power off gamepad without powering off system.
7. Super Slow response of UI.

Did they really learn anything from the Wii?
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 16:48

This was a major issue with the original Wii and they didn't do anything at all to solve this problem.
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 17:35

I just called them yesterday about this same question. He didn't know the answer and he talked to a supervisor and he confirmed to me that a Wii U to Wii U transfer is not currently available, BUT Nintendo will make it available in a future system update on the Wii U. He straight up confirmed Nintendo will do it in a future update.
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 18:08

Wasn't this brought up a Direct a while back?
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 18:19

Nintendo...still a decade behind.
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 18:29

FadedAreWii wrote:They are likely just talking about a transfer tool. If you called them and wanted to buy the Zelda bundle and sell your old system and made a big enough deal, they can transfer your account to another system. They don't like to do it for whatever reason, but they can.


When I got my Red Wii, I called and asked if they could transfer the content from my old Wii (my copy-protected saves and few WiiWare titles), they said NO. So i had to learn how to hack my Wii and transfer the data myself. And now, thanks to their simple minded ways, I have a hard drive hooked on my Wii with all of my 51 Wii titles installed on it. Mind you, there's not much in the sense of piracy here but still, I now have the power to pirate if i wanted to.
No Avatar
10 Sep 2013 19:08

wow nintendo just wow

I feel bad for anyone that buys the Zelda Wii U bundle while already owning a Wii U, it's a shame that Nintendo hasn't figured this out yet since I am sure there is a way but that Nintendo just wont make it available yet.

Come on Nintendo, get your sh*t together
User avatar
10 Sep 2013 19:11

NF wrote:That includes saves which sucks. I've posted this before, but I had 2 Wii U's in my house and had to get rid of one because I was unable to copy my save for NSMBU. It's stuff like this that makes me question if I'm going to continue supporting Nintendo consoles. I'm getting more play from the 3DS and thinking the Wii U could be my last console with stupid decisions like this one and below:
1. USB port not supplying enough power for portable drives. (Even the Wii supplied enough power)
2. No Dolby Digital 5.1 (only Pro logic support)
3. No LAN port (I mean, CMON!)
4. eShop accounting system sucks (should be universal for all platforms).
5. Unable to customize user interface (I am so bloody sick of the white/grey crap).
6. Unable to power off gamepad without powering off system.
7. Super Slow response of UI.

Did they really learn anything from the Wii?

They learned that consumers will pay for obsolete tech and services if they ae "fun".
User avatar
11 Sep 2013 01:49

Anything less than what the 360 offers in terms of account features just isn't good enough Nintendo.
User avatar
11 Sep 2013 02:28

theimporter wrote:
FadedAreWii wrote:They are likely just talking about a transfer tool. If you called them and wanted to buy the Zelda bundle and sell your old system and made a big enough deal, they can transfer your account to another system. They don't like to do it for whatever reason, but they can.


When I got my Red Wii, I called and asked if they could transfer the content from my old Wii (my copy-protected saves and few WiiWare titles), they said NO. So i had to learn how to hack my Wii and transfer the data myself. And now, thanks to their simple minded ways, I have a hard drive hooked on my Wii with all of my 51 Wii titles installed on it. Mind you, there's not much in the sense of piracy here but still, I now have the power to pirate if i wanted to.


You didn't try hard enough. I've had my account transferred to a different system. It's an account based system, but, like I said, they don't like to do it unless it's a repair situation, but they have the ability and can be talked into it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that for Wii, you did have to have a Club Nintendo account, and that's the account they could transfer stuff over for. Wii U account is still linked to club nin account, so you may need to have one for them to do it, but maybe not since nnids seem to be their own account.
User avatar
11 Sep 2013 12:21

FadedAreWii wrote:
theimporter wrote:
FadedAreWii wrote:They are likely just talking about a transfer tool. If you called them and wanted to buy the Zelda bundle and sell your old system and made a big enough deal, they can transfer your account to another system. They don't like to do it for whatever reason, but they can.


When I got my Red Wii, I called and asked if they could transfer the content from my old Wii (my copy-protected saves and few WiiWare titles), they said NO. So i had to learn how to hack my Wii and transfer the data myself. And now, thanks to their simple minded ways, I have a hard drive hooked on my Wii with all of my 51 Wii titles installed on it. Mind you, there's not much in the sense of piracy here but still, I now have the power to pirate if i wanted to.


You didn't try hard enough. I've had my account transferred to a different system. It's an account based system, but, like I said, they don't like to do it unless it's a repair situation, but they have the ability and can be talked into it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that for Wii, you did have to have a Club Nintendo account, and that's the account they could transfer stuff over for. Wii U account is still linked to club nin account, so you may need to have one for them to do it, but maybe not since nnids seem to be their own account.


Correct. I had Nintendo transfer my content from my old Wii to my new red one as well. Their customer service is top notch.
User avatar
11 Sep 2013 13:20

8 years ago Nintendo's competitors had this functionality...still Nintendo lives some much of their life in the stone age.
User avatar
11 Sep 2013 18:47

FadedAreWii wrote:
theimporter wrote:
FadedAreWii wrote:They are likely just talking about a transfer tool. If you called them and wanted to buy the Zelda bundle and sell your old system and made a big enough deal, they can transfer your account to another system. They don't like to do it for whatever reason, but they can.


When I got my Red Wii, I called and asked if they could transfer the content from my old Wii (my copy-protected saves and few WiiWare titles), they said NO. So i had to learn how to hack my Wii and transfer the data myself. And now, thanks to their simple minded ways, I have a hard drive hooked on my Wii with all of my 51 Wii titles installed on it. Mind you, there's not much in the sense of piracy here but still, I now have the power to pirate if i wanted to.


You didn't try hard enough. I've had my account transferred to a different system. It's an account based system, but, like I said, they don't like to do it unless it's a repair situation, but they have the ability and can be talked into it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that for Wii, you did have to have a Club Nintendo account, and that's the account they could transfer stuff over for. Wii U account is still linked to club nin account, so you may need to have one for them to do it, but maybe not since nnids seem to be their own account.


You're missing the point which is I shouldn't have to beg or even call Nintendo for this kind of thing, I should be able to do it the same way I did when I got my PS3 slim. Now stop being a fanboy and defending Nintendo's prehistoric mentality.
User avatar
12 Sep 2013 17:39

They have their reasons for not wanting to do it just willy nilly. Someone calls and has them transfer stuff, yet they are sitting there with all the stuff still downloaded. Now they have two systems with everything on them. Now they can give away or sell the other loaded system and Nintendo loses money.

All that said, I wasn't even defending them, I was just letting you/people know that it can be done, and nowhere did I say I thought it was right that you have to beg, but since you brought it up, as per my example above, I do think it's fair until they get a transfer tool available, and you can call me a fanboy because of that all you want, ain't bothering me.

View the full discussion!

Quickie Search

"Advanced" Search

Anti-social Tendencies

Advertisements

RSS feed trough

News Feed
Top Stories
Console News
Portables News
Podcast Feed
GoNintendo Radio Feed
Twitter Feed

Affiliates + Friends

Destructoid
Gamersyde
Modojo
TheBitBlock
Anime Your Way