Digital or Retail Purchases?

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

Re: Digital or Retail Purchases?

Postby TheKeeseEffect » 29 May 2013 00:45

I definitely like physical media more when it comes to games, And I would only consider getting a digital copy of a retail game if they offered a discount, otherwise I see no real point.
TheKeeseEffect
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 0619-3225-0273

Postby OmnipotentSwine » 29 May 2013 03:02

Retail for me. Still haven't bought an external HDD so I can't go installing huge games because 32 GB still isn't a lot.
OmnipotentSwine
Boo
Boo

NN ID: OmnipotentSwine
Steam ID: wfsw32 (Not display name)

Postby MoldyClay » 30 May 2013 14:40

I don't really see the point in going digital with a home console aside from LOL SPACE. TOO MANY BOXES. Which is understandable, but seems irrelevant. Considering I can get games for cheaper and have the option to sell them if I for some reason don't like them (rarely happens, but it does), I have no need to go digital.

Steam makes sense because things go to stupid prices and you can use your account anywhere. Wii U makes little sense to me in terms of worrying about things getting lost or stolen. Unless it's a friend stealing games, they're more likely to steal the system, which will have the games on it if all digital, and with it goes your account. You're no safer, really.

With handhelds, I can understand digital a bit more due to the huge convenience of wanting to have all your favorite games with you and not wanting to bring cartridges around all the time.

I personally can't justify it because all the games I'd consider going digital with are games I fear losing the most if something happened to my 3DS or SD card. I don't want to lose my Animal Crossing town or my Pokemon or something.

On top of that, I just can't justify paying over $10-15 for digital anything. This isn't even just Nintendo's consoles.

Aside from getting burned too many times by overpriced digital and retail titles at full price (either because they're short as hell or simply not as amazing), I feel less bad about spending less money on something I don't own/isn't real.

I don't like paying full price for retail games since 90% of the time they aren't worth the asking price, so I'm certainly not going to pay full price for a digital one I could have trapped to a console.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby Reynard » 30 May 2013 14:52

MoldyClay wrote:Wii U makes little sense to me in terms of worrying about things getting lost or stolen. Unless it's a friend stealing games, they're more likely to steal the system, which will have the games on it if all digital, and with it goes your account. You're no safer, really.

This is precisely why Nintendo needs to pull their fingers out of their collective asses and get the account system properly sorted out, we need the ability to tie our digital purchases to a real account, not a single console.
Reynard
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Reynard_Fox
3DS: 2277-6695-2597
XBL: Reynard-Foxx

Postby Banzai Bill » 30 May 2013 19:57

I personally can't justify it because all the games I'd consider going digital with are games I fear losing the most if something happened to my 3DS or SD card. I don't want to lose my Animal Crossing town or my Pokemon or something.

How are your games safer when they're physical? If you lose or damage your cartridge, it's gone forever. But if you digitally download it, you can back up your data on a computer and re-download it on the eShop free of charge.
For an intense analysis of Marioverse continuity, visit Banzai's Canon!
Banzai Bill
Goomba
Goomba

Postby OmnipotentSwine » 30 May 2013 20:13

Reynard wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:Wii U makes little sense to me in terms of worrying about things getting lost or stolen. Unless it's a friend stealing games, they're more likely to steal the system, which will have the games on it if all digital, and with it goes your account. You're no safer, really.

This is precisely why Nintendo needs to pull their fingers out of their collective asses and get the account system properly sorted out, we need the ability to tie our digital purchases to a real account, not a single console.

So much this. Has there been any mentions of plans to do this?
OmnipotentSwine
Boo
Boo

NN ID: OmnipotentSwine
Steam ID: wfsw32 (Not display name)

Postby MoldyClay » 01 Jun 2013 07:14

Banzai Bill wrote:

How are your games safer when they're physical? If you lose or damage your cartridge, it's gone forever. But if you digitally download it, you can back up your data on a computer and re-download it on the eShop free of charge.

I never said it was safer on its own.

What I was talking about was the fact that if someone stole the 3DS, SD card's likely in it, and with that goes your games. If you have physical games, they don't magically disappear when your system does.

You can just as easily lose or damage your SD card as you could a cartridge.

And what are you talking about with back-ups? Is the save file for a digital retail game separate or built into the game itself? If it's built-in, would that even work? If the game you have on the SD card is tied to a 3DS that is now gone, can you magically insert that save or game into the the new one?

And even then, this would imply you'd have to make a back-up by taking the SD card out and putting it in the computer *every time* you saved the game/did something new, which goes back to my saying you could easily lose/damage the SD card.

I can guarantee next to nobody does this, so even if it is potentially safer, it is convoluted. It's simply easier to just have a cartridge and not be an idiot.

Also, by "free of charge", do you mean, "Not at all"? Unless I missed something, Nintendo themselves say they won't replace digital games you lose: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/22/ni ... 3ds-games/

So explain to me how it's safer to MAYBE be able to recover it, but potentially not be able to at all, depending how generous Nintendo feels that day?

Reynard wrote:

To add to this: Say all of your games are saved to an external HDD (which they presumably would have to be). As far as I know, it's tied to THAT SPECIFIC WII U, meaning even if you had your hard drive with all of your stuff safely hidden away from a potential burglar, the whole thing is useless since you can't actually use your HDD's data on a replacement Wii U.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby Reynard » 01 Jun 2013 09:25

MoldyClay wrote:To add to this: Say all of your games are saved to an external HDD (which they presumably would have to be). As far as I know, it's tied to THAT SPECIFIC WII U, meaning even if you had your hard drive with all of your stuff safely hidden away from a potential burglar, the whole thing is useless since you can't actually use your HDD's data on a replacement Wii U.

Exactly. While I don't feel much like praising Microsoft after the Xbox One debacle, on the 360, digital games, DLC & save data are all freely backup-able to external devices, profiles and content can be loaded on any 360 via download or USB transfer. It's a (mostly) elegant system that doesn't screw over the user, prevents unscrupulous sharing of data and is exactly what Nintendo needs to do, right now.
Last edited by Reynard on 01 Jun 2013 09:29, edited 2 times in total.
Reynard
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Reynard_Fox
3DS: 2277-6695-2597
XBL: Reynard-Foxx

Postby Mochlum » 01 Jun 2013 09:29

I'm retail for Wii U games and digital for 3DS ones.

I like buying digitally for 3DS because then I can play it whenever, wherever I want. I like it because when I go on vacation, I don't have to make do with one game or deal with the risk of bringing a bunch of cartridges. I do still buy some retail for 3DS, like games that I won't replay as much, but games like Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D are definite digital for me.

For Wii U, since you can't take it anywhere, I see absolutely no point in downloading it. It is easier to buy a retail for cheaper, and just take 10 seconds longer to switch discs.
Spoiler:
Green = Newcomers I Want
Blue = Veterans I Want Back
Yellow = Alternate Costumes
Red = Assist Trophy/Stage Hazard
Mochlum
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Mochlum

Postby Mochlum » 01 Jun 2013 09:32

TheKeeseEffect wrote:I definitely like physical media more when it comes to games, And I would only consider getting a digital copy of a retail game if they offered a discount, otherwise I see no real point.

Lately I noticed a few games have better digital deals. Tetris Axis is $10 digitally, which I think is a good deal (And I would've gotten it if I didn't already have it retail.) That is going in the right direction. Simply making a two-year old game $30 instead of $40 won't sell a game.
Spoiler:
Green = Newcomers I Want
Blue = Veterans I Want Back
Yellow = Alternate Costumes
Red = Assist Trophy/Stage Hazard
Mochlum
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Mochlum

Postby Autosaver » 01 Jun 2013 21:49

The digital scene has been INCREDIBLY disappointing for retail games. It was kind of hyped up to be cheaper than the retail versions but it never happened. Despite the no manual/case you still pay the full price.
Autosaver
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Autosaver

Postby GameCollector » 04 Jun 2013 09:39

I go all physical unless the digital version is just too good of a deal to pass up. See: Steam games, or Playstation Plus.
Things and stuff and stuff and things with the ideas and the processes and the continuities and bahrlahrhargrghvhrgh.

Potatoes.
GameCollector
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Zanreo » 04 Jun 2013 14:44

Mochlum wrote:I'm retail for Wii U games and digital for 3DS ones.

I like buying digitally for 3DS because then I can play it whenever, wherever I want. I like it because when I go on vacation, I don't have to make do with one game or deal with the risk of bringing a bunch of cartridges. I do still buy some retail for 3DS, like games that I won't replay as much, but games like Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D are definite digital for me.

For Wii U, since you can't take it anywhere, I see absolutely no point in downloading it. It is easier to buy a retail for cheaper, and just take 10 seconds longer to switch discs.

yeah, I agree with this. I don't really get download games for Wii U or other home consoles except for download-only games OR maybe if the online shop has a great offer. Otherwise, there's little point in download for me... the 3DS makes more sense since you can take it with you.
Zanreo
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Postby Banzai Bill » 05 Jun 2013 11:44

MoldyClay wrote:
Banzai Bill wrote:

I never said it was safer on its own.

What I was talking about was the fact that if someone stole the 3DS, SD card's likely in it, and with that goes your games. If you have physical games, they don't magically disappear when your system does.

You can just as easily lose or damage your SD card as you could a cartridge.

And what are you talking about with back-ups? Is the save file for a digital retail game separate or built into the game itself? If it's built-in, would that even work? If the game you have on the SD card is tied to a 3DS that is now gone, can you magically insert that save or game into the the new one?

And even then, this would imply you'd have to make a back-up by taking the SD card out and putting it in the computer *every time* you saved the game/did something new, which goes back to my saying you could easily lose/damage the SD card.

I can guarantee next to nobody does this, so even if it is potentially safer, it is convoluted. It's simply easier to just have a cartridge and not be an idiot.

Also, by "free of charge", do you mean, "Not at all"? Unless I missed something, Nintendo themselves say they won't replace digital games you lose: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/22/ni ... 3ds-games/

So explain to me how it's safer to MAYBE be able to recover it, but potentially not be able to at all, depending how generous Nintendo feels that day?

Reynard wrote:

To add to this: Say all of your games are saved to an external HDD (which they presumably would have to be). As far as I know, it's tied to THAT SPECIFIC WII U, meaning even if you had your hard drive with all of your stuff safely hidden away from a potential burglar, the whole thing is useless since you can't actually use your HDD's data on a replacement Wii U.

I know from personal experience that if your system is stolen and you present Nintendo with a police report, they will move your purchase history to a replacement system. So in that context digital download has the advantage since you can download it again, as opposed to losing your cartridge forever.
You do make a good point, however, about the situation of losing your 3DS. It doesn't sound like the SD card with your saved data would work with a replacement system. I'll double-check with customer service to see if that's the case. Personally though, I've had more bad experiences with cartridges failing me than Nintendo systems, though now I at least have a better idea of why some people would prefer physical media.
For an intense analysis of Marioverse continuity, visit Banzai's Canon!
Banzai Bill
Goomba
Goomba

Postby SW4J » 05 Jun 2013 22:13

Retail all the way, the only exceptions I make are when the games are impossible to get retail (Pushmo/Crashmo). Yes, I have a physical PC release of Sonic Generations.
SW4J
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby Josh5890 » 06 Jun 2013 00:27

I'm retail until the day I die.
Josh5890
Chocobo
Chocobo

PSN: Josh5890

Postby Cave Story » 09 Jun 2013 14:15

Lately I've been full digital, but looking back I kind of regret it. I love being able to hold a game in my hand, the 3DS chip. I'm a collector and a gamer, but on the other hand I do love having the game downloaded on my system so I'll always be able to play it without having to own the chip. Which way should I go? I'm leaning on the side of going back to retail. Thus far I've gotten Professor Layton & The Miracle Mask, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pokemon Mystery: Gates to Infinity, and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon through digital.
Cave Story
Flicky
Flicky

Previous

Return to 3DS / DS