Pokemon X and Y

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

Re: Pokemon X and Y Announced, October 2013

Postby Jerome » 08 Jan 2013 22:19

Nice to see they're finally using fully 3D graphics. They look pretty blocky, though, looks like the game really could have used some anti-aliasing.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby J0RdAnN » 08 Jan 2013 23:06

according to pokejungle Froakie's japanese name is a fusion of frog and either bubbles or foam.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Toad
Toad

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby MegaShock100 » 08 Jan 2013 23:30

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:Have guys seen the starter's moves. If you look, Chespin clearly uses night slash, Fennekin uses a psychic type move, and Froakie is possible doing a fighting type move, leading me to guess that their evolutions will be Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting. You know what that would mean? A double triangle! Grass is great against water, but at the same time, Fighting is good against Dark. Fire does good against Grass, but Dark is great against Psychic. Water does well against Fire, but Psychic is good against Fighting. That would mean every starter is neutral against each other. Wouldn't that be awesome. ^_^

That's a pretty great observation! The second I saw Fennekin, I thought two things: 1. That is going to be my starter 2. Vulpix gets a new friend! So your fire-psychic idea is most likely.
MegaShock100
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 08 Jan 2013 23:46

A whole day hasn‘t passed since the announcement and people already ask why X/Y aren‘t for Wii U. Seriously, this is one of the reasons I didn‘t want them to use 3D models in past games, people would demand console RPGs instead.
HammerGalladeBro
Boo
Boo

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby Thermithral » 09 Jan 2013 00:26

HammerGalladeBro wrote:A whole day hasn‘t passed since the announcement and people already ask why X/Y aren‘t for Wii U. Seriously, this is one of the reasons I didn‘t want them to use 3D models in past games, people would demand console RPGs instead.

I personally was more annoyed by the fact that not even an hour after the Nintendo Direc video finished, people were complaining that it was not going to be on DS. Because you know, DS just didnt have enough Pokemon games. :roll:
You are not entitled to an opinion. You may have one, but if it is not based on logic and reason, then it is as worthless as the rest of your words.
Thermithral
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: blahara
3DS: 1375-7535-6452

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 09 Jan 2013 00:35

@HammerGalladeBro
This sort of thing was bound to happen. They're no longer using 2D sprites (I'm guessing) so there shouldn't be any excuses why we can't also see this on a console as well. :P

@Thermithral
Are you serious?! lol

People still wanted it for the DS. wtf :lol:
Innovation is a funny thing in gaming... Do too much and you alienate fans of the genre, but don't do enough and you're blamed for making the same ol' game.Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby Berrix » 09 Jan 2013 01:44

HammerGalladeBro wrote:A whole day hasn‘t passed since the announcement and people already ask why X/Y aren‘t for Wii U. Seriously, this is one of the reasons I didn‘t want them to use 3D models in past games, people would demand console RPGs instead.

That was the immediate response from my friend when I texted him the news. But he's more understanding than most, it turned into a discussion that we're still not getting Snap Universe. :cry:
Berrix
Toad
Toad

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby MoldyClay » 09 Jan 2013 08:00

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:Maybe I really was judging a little to early but when I saw these 5 to me it showed this game had promise. (basicly I liked what I saw) Unlike with 5th gen which I took one look its starters went "meh". Reshiram was ok but Zekrom looked like a Digimon to me at first. O_o

Well, in comparison, I will agree that the first impressions of Gen 6 were universally better than Gen 5. I love Zekrom, Snivy, Oshawott and Tepig, but it took me a good while before I finally warmed up to them. The same goes for most of Gen 5. My first reaction to 90% of them were "oh my god, this is awful", but now I pretty much love all of them but a select few.

Gen 6 clicked immediately. I don't like Fennekin, and the legendaries look kinda like clones of other legendaries (the bird looks like a flying Groudon and the elk looks like Acreus+Dialga), but I liked them overall on day one, which is not something I can say about Gen 4 or 5... or 3.

Thats understandable, I mean we all have a different view of 5th gen. I personally didn't find the older ones bland. I felt they kept the good designs in and left the bad/lazy ones out. With 5th gen they just didn't seem to bother picking out the good ones from the bad ones as they left both in. Felt like they were rushing to make new Pokemon designs to meet the quota needed make a gen like the 1st one. I couldn't find a Pokemon (besides my starter) that I liked until I reach Castelia City.

Not sure I understand. They left what bad/lazy ones out of Gen 1? And you can't tell me things like Ditto (as much as I love him) and Voltorb/Electrode aren't bland or lazy. And some evolutions (this is also true of later gens) are just 3 of one Pokemon. Most of them were just colored animals.

A lot of gen 5's are very intricate and have crazy basis (like Nazca lines). If anything, it looks like they took MORE time. But people see things like "icicles that look like ice cream" and "garbage" and call them lazy, but I mean, I don't see how those are lazier than Seel or Grimer.

The reason why I don't want to go back with BW1/2 just yet is cause mentally I associate it as "bad" as crazy as that sounds. Its the gen that burnt me out from playing Pokemon but honestly that might have been my fault since at the time I was obsessed with finding Shinies which was time consuming. I couldn't find a shiny Solosis after all the time I spent trying to and it burnt me out. I want to go back to a past game (such as Soulsilver which I've yet to finish) so that I could get comfortable again with the series. I was thinking of going back to Sapphire or Emerald at one point but with a possible remake in the future I'm holding off on doing that. I know the newer games offer more with story and animation and such but for now I'm more concerned with how I'll get back into Pokemon games.

I can understand that feel of getting burnt out with a game. Especially with doing something as redundant as looking for shinies. Sometimes you just gotta step away and reintroduce yourself.

Yeah the evidence I'll admit is weak. Its just a little observation I made for now with what little we know about them.

Oh, I know. It's just funny because I keep seeing that whole "psychic" thing EVERYWHERE. Like people are convinced it is the case.

And maybe it is, but it's just crazy to see everyone hung up on a purple effect.

Jerome wrote:Nice to see they're finally using fully 3D graphics. They look pretty blocky, though, looks like the game really could have used some anti-aliasing.

Pretty sure the blockiness is on purpose. It looks like the past games, but literally, just 3D. Look at the textures. Look like the flat ones from previous gens. I think it's just meant to look like if you took a sprite Pokemon game and added another dimension, as opposed to trying to look like, say, Mystery Dungeon.

Well, I mean, no matter what they did, people were going to complain.

Sprites - WHY NOT 3D?
3D - WHY NOT CONSOLE?
Console - WHY NOT 3DS?
DS - WHY THIS AGAIN?
3rd gen remakes - WHY NOT 6th GEN?
6th gen - WHY NOT 3rd GEN? WHY SO RUSHING GEN 5?

Thermithral wrote:I personally was more annoyed by the fact that not even an hour after the Nintendo Direc video finished, people were complaining that it was not going to be on DS. Because you know, DS just didnt have enough Pokemon games. :roll:

Are you serious? After all that whining for BW2 to be a 3DS game, people wanted it for DS? Oh man.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 09 Jan 2013 09:49

MoldyClay wrote:Not sure I understand. They left what bad/lazy ones out of Gen 1? And you can't tell me things like Ditto (as much as I love him) and Voltorb/Electrode aren't bland or lazy. And some evolutions (this is also true of later gens) are just 3 of one Pokemon. Most of them were just colored animals.

When I talked of the older ones not having as many bad ones, I guess I should have made it clear that was refering to gens 2 - 4. I'm very well aware of gen 1s many lazy designs but I let it slide since Pokemon started out with that gen for its first try. Btw aren't Pokemon suppose to be just that… "colored animals"? :P

MoldyClay wrote:A lot of gen 5's are very intricate and have crazy basis (like Nazca lines). If anything, it looks like they took MORE time. But people see things like "icicles that look like ice cream" and "garbage" and call them lazy, but I mean, I don't see how those are lazier than Seel or Grimer.

Vanillite and Trubbish that you mentioned are some of the few I'm ok with despite the "laziness" look people see in them. I guess I like the simple gen 1 look that a few of these 5th gen Pokemon have. Not really a fan of the bland ones with the crazy intricate designs imo. :/
Innovation is a funny thing in gaming... Do too much and you alienate fans of the genre, but don't do enough and you're blamed for making the same ol' game.Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby J0RdAnN » 09 Jan 2013 11:35

So in other news the official site named the 2 cover legendaries shown in the trailer yesterday.
The Blue Stag is Xerneas (ZURR-nee-us) and the Red Demonic Bird is Yveltal (ee-VELL-tall)

I still don't have an opinion on these too yet. I'm waiting for the official artwork.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Toad
Toad

Postby Jerome » 09 Jan 2013 12:30

MoldyClay wrote:
Jerome wrote:Nice to see they're finally using fully 3D graphics. They look pretty blocky, though, looks like the game really could have used some anti-aliasing.

I guess that might be the case on some of the textures, but I was mainly referring to the blocky edges. That's primarily due to the cell-shaded style combined with 3DS's relatively low screen resolution. I guess the latter still annoys me, and I wish they'd let developers use the top screen's full 800x240 resolution if they wish. It wouldn't be uniformly way better because some edges would look better and some wouldn't (due to their spatial orientation), but it would be better than a system hardwired to display at half resolution.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 09 Jan 2013 12:55

GameXplain pointed out that the character wasn't running in one part of the trailer....he was skating. I didn't realize it at first.
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Postby Heatran5400 » 09 Jan 2013 22:28

I just don't understand how people cant see the X in Xerneas. The X in it is not the x in his eyes. That i believe is just a great detail. The X is colored blue and is on his neck! (IT is shaped like a "math" X, you know the curveyness) Now do you see it?
Last edited by Heatran5400 on 09 Jan 2013 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I was a hero. Now, I am a master.
Imagehttp://www.points2shop.com?ref=heatran5400
Finally! My profile pic matches my username!
Heatran5400
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Heatran5400
Steam ID: Heatran5400

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 09 Jan 2013 22:41

I've heard some people complain that there's too many Pokemon now, and I have to ask, WHY? Are the new Pokemon bringing down the quality of the ones you like? No. I just don't understand it, it seems they're looking for a reason yo complain.
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: PatrickTheHuman
3DS: 0259-0444-2571
PSN: Patthehuman
XBL: PatTheHuman64

Postby Heatran5400 » 09 Jan 2013 23:02

PatrickTheHuman wrote:I've heard some people complain that there's too many Pokemon now, and I have to ask, WHY? Are the new Pokemon bringing down the quality of the ones you like? No. I just don't understand it, it seems they're looking for a reason yoU complain.

I have heard that too. I don't care really much about this, but I think that more pokemon shows great diversity!

people dont like new generations in pokemon. They hate it but eventually bought the game. Then they say, wow gen # is really great! Then Pokemon teases us a new generation. This goes on in a repeated cycle at where I live (though not many people like it).

In my preference, new pokemon games make me wanna buy them immediately. Y? (get it? pokemon Y...) They always have something new in them that makes me want to finish the game as fast, but fun, as I can.
Yes, I was a hero. Now, I am a master.
Imagehttp://www.points2shop.com?ref=heatran5400
Finally! My profile pic matches my username!
Heatran5400
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Heatran5400
Steam ID: Heatran5400

Postby MoldyClay » 10 Jan 2013 04:44

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:When I talked of the older ones not having as many bad ones, I guess I should have made it clear that was refering to gens 2 - 4. I'm very well aware of gen 1s many lazy designs but I let it slide since Pokemon started out with that gen for its first try. Btw aren't Pokemon suppose to be just that… "colored animals"? :P

Pokemon aren't supposed to *be* anything. And I just meant the fact they were mostly real animals, but a color, as opposed to something clever. But okay, I see.

Vanillite and Trubbish that you mentioned are some of the few I'm ok with despite the "laziness" look people see in them. I guess I like the simple gen 1 look that a few of these 5th gen Pokemon have. Not really a fan of the bland ones with the crazy intricate designs imo. :/

Jawesome, because I love Vanillite and Trubbish.

And I can't express how much sense it DOESN'T make to say "bland" and "crazy intricate" about the same thing. The bottom line is that you prefer simple designs, and that's understandable and acceptable. It's when people complain that newer gens are lazy/bland and then cite lazy/bland old designs as better.

I think the thing that gets me the most are the people that actually posted, when looking at a picture of all the starters from all 6 gens, was NOTICE HOW THEY START LOOKING LESS AND LESS LIKE ANIMALS?

Oh okay. Guess Foxes, frogs and a cross between a chipmunk and a hedgehog don't qualify as animals.

To be perfectly honest, the only starters that don't resemble any sort of animal would have to be Chikorita, and maybe Bulbasaur.

Some people online have the most absurd arguments against later gens.

PatrickTheHuman wrote:I've heard some people complain that there's too many Pokemon now, and I have to ask, WHY? Are the new Pokemon bringing down the quality of the ones you like? No. I just don't understand it, it seems they're looking for a reason yo complain.

Some people do it just to complain, others are because they can't remember them all and are too afraid to jump back in because there are so many they are unfamiliar with.

I think one of the biggest problems is that people hate having to catch them all and think that they have to. I mean, they even dropped the slogan. YEARS AGO.

Don't want to catch 700+ Pokemon? Don't. Nobody cares.

Personally, if it weren't for new Pokemon, I don't know that I'd be buying as many games in the series as I do. The only exception with the remakes is the fact that 90% of those Pokemon become less available as new Pokemon start to approach. As we near 700, Pokemon from some gens get left out, and regional dexes consist of pieces of each region. So when HG/SS came out, for example, it was crazy because you now had access to all these 2nd gen guys you hadn't seen in ages.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

Postby Chromie » 10 Jan 2013 07:08

PatrickTheHuman wrote:I've heard some people complain that there's too many Pokemon now, and I have to ask, WHY? Are the new Pokemon bringing down the quality of the ones you like? No. I just don't understand it, it seems they're looking for a reason yo complain.

I can see that a reason for complaint. There are a ton of useless Pokemon that I have yet to see even be used online or offline. Battles tend to finish very quickly because of the insane damage instead of relying mostly on tactic. I would like for Gamefreak to polish the mechanics more and not bother creating a new generation everytime a Pokemon game is released. No I'm not expecting ToEE quality combat but still it does need some improvement. How many people actually bother with 3v3 battles? Hell how many bother with 2v2?
Chromie
Fairy
Fairy

3DS: 3196-3157-9479

Postby MoldyClay » 10 Jan 2013 08:26

Chromie wrote:

I can see that a reason for complaint. There are a ton of useless Pokemon that I have yet to see even be used online or offline. Battles tend to finish very quickly because of the insane damage instead of relying mostly on tactic. I would like for Gamefreak to polish the mechanics more and not bother creating a new generation everytime a Pokemon game is released. No I'm not expecting ToEE quality combat but still it does need some improvement. How many people actually bother with 3v3 battles? Hell how many bother with 2v2?

I like 3 on 3, but the games don't give you enough of them. The problem with 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 is that they don't really do them. I enjoyed Colosseum/XD for this reason. All doubles.

Also, in Battle Revolution, I played online double battles with my friend all the time.

Also, the point of adding more is because people like to collect new things. It's not just about battling. People play Pokemon for different reasons. For those who focus on battles, yes, adding new Pokemon is annoying unless it is better type combinations because it means more unbalance and more stuff they have to figure out.

But a lot of people play the game to collect them and do the Pokedex instead of focusing on battle. For them, it would be stupid to not have new ones, so you can't just do one and not the other unless it is within the same generation. You have to think about that as well.

That said, just because people aren't using a Pokemon online doesn't mean they should go away or anything. People like them and some people do use them. Every Pokemon has some fan out there, even if it is stupid or ugly.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

Postby J0RdAnN » 10 Jan 2013 22:49

To back up Moldyclay's point I am one of the people that plays pokemon for the collecting aspect. Granted that doesn't mean I can't hold my own ground in a battle, but I get the most fun exploring the land and making discoveries on what pokemon live where.

As for the too many pokemon...I can understand that. With that Pokemon Rainbow rumor from a few weeks ago I wasn't that upset when it said that there was only 20 new pokemon. I figure if they focused more on fixing the lose ends of pokemon, like the "NU Tier" it'd would be a big pay off for the series as a whole. But the problem is with a cast of over 700 and a small chunk of that cast having alternate forms Balancing won't really happen or it can but it'll take years.

Now the 3-on-3 and 2-on-2 and rotation battles... I believe in the 5th gen there where few random encounters that where set up for that but their was the Battle subway and the battle area in B2/W2 that was located in White Forest/Black City
J0RdAnN
Toad
Toad

Postby Phant0mG4m3r » 11 Jan 2013 03:57

Internally developed 3D Pokemon RPG? I'm in! I hope content won't be sacrificed due to the dimensional jump.
Phant0mG4m3r
Goomba
Goomba

Postby J0RdAnN » 11 Jan 2013 12:20

Phant0mG4m3r wrote:Internally developed 3D Pokemon RPG? I'm in! I hope content won't be sacrificed due to the dimensional jump.

It's 3D models and fancy camera angles the game controls the same as past counterparts.
J0RdAnN
Toad
Toad

Postby MegaShock100 » 12 Jan 2013 00:15

Chromie wrote:

Yeah, I agree with this. I want Gamefreak to greatly develop the mechanics. Like there are so many ideas I have that they could use. For example, they could give certain Pokémon two abilities so they can hold their ground against more powerful creatures. Or make pokemon with special immunities and attacks. In Global Link you can get pokemon with moves they don't normally learn, well take that to the next level and give them resistances they don't normally have. Like in the anime, there was an episode with a Rhydon that wasn't affected by water and could swim to great depths. Well make a special event of Global Link promotion with such a Rhydon. Imagine if Rhyperior could learn waterfall or dive? Or they can add more stats and characteristics to define the strengths of a pokemon. That could also help in making it more individual, therefore making a greater bond between trainer and pokemon, which would be a plus point for the overall experience.

And I can't express how much sense it DOESN'T make to say "bland" and "crazy intricate" about the same thing. The bottom line is that you prefer simple designs, and that's understandable and acceptable. It's when people complain that newer gens are lazy/bland and then cite lazy/bland old designs as better.

I think people are just not using the right words. Vanillite and Trubbish aren't bland or lazy, they're just friggen ugly and stupid. I mean sure there was Grimer/Muk and others, but those were more simple and natural in design, and they complemented the rest of the cast. Grimer wasn't something specific like a garbage bag or ice cream cone, it was just a pile of sludge. All RPGs have slimes and sludges. Magnemite wasn't a magnet with eyes, it was something else that just had a magnetic theme. Trubbish however is literally a garbage bag with eyes and it's such an ugly design.
MegaShock100
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 12 Jan 2013 00:40

Chromie wrote:I can see that a reason for complaint. There are a ton of useless Pokemon that I have yet to see even be used online or offline. Battles tend to finish very quickly because of the insane damage instead of relying mostly on tactic. I would like for Gamefreak to polish the mechanics more and not bother creating a new generation everytime a Pokemon game is released. No I'm not expecting ToEE quality combat but still it does need some improvement. How many people actually bother with 3v3 battles? Hell how many bother with 2v2?

You‘re kidding, right? I pretty much refuse to battle if it‘s not a Double Battle, They might end up faster than Single Battles, but they‘re mure fun, that‘s pretty much the reason I loved Colosseum and XD. I can‘t comment on Triple/Rotation Battles, though, I haven‘t played GenV games.
And about the useless Pokémon, just because you don‘t see them in battles doesn‘t mean they‘re useless. Besides, I‘ve seen a bunch of “useless“ Pokémon online in Pokémon Battle Revolution (Ledian, Beautifly, Raticate, Tentacruel, Porygon, etc.).
As stated already, Pokémon is not just about battles.
HammerGalladeBro
Boo
Boo

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby Furealz » 12 Jan 2013 01:21

Some people would rather have this game sprite-based and on DS...I say:"Are you on crack?" I skipped gen 5 because I got bored of the sprites and now I wanna play this! Coliseum and XD were the only Pokemons I really got into!
Furealz
Flicky
Flicky

Postby MoldyClay » 12 Jan 2013 06:11

MegaShock100 wrote:

I think people are just not using the right words. Vanillite and Trubbish aren't bland or lazy, they're just friggen ugly and stupid. I mean sure there was Grimer/Muk and others, but those were more simple and natural in design, and they complemented the rest of the cast. Grimer wasn't something specific like a garbage bag or ice cream cone, it was just a pile of sludge. All RPGs have slimes and sludges. Magnemite wasn't a magnet with eyes, it was something else that just had a magnetic theme. Trubbish however is literally a garbage bag with eyes and it's such an ugly design.

Vanillite is an icicle with snow on it that resembles an ice cream cone. This is more obvious with the evolutions.

You're crazy if you think Vanillite or Trubbish are ugly. I've give you Garbodor (which I love, but I know very well that it looks horrendous), though. And Vanillish. Yes, Trubbish is a grabage with eyes/mouth, but it was still better looking than a blob.

And Magnemite is a ball with an eye, two magnets and a screw. Magnezone is something original and crazy. Magnemite is just as bad as Trubbish in terms of design, and Magneton is worse (and just as bad as Klink and it's evolutions, but at least they did something with the additions, as opposed to just being 3 of the same thing).

If you want to go there though, we can also talk about Exeggcute and Voltorb/Electrode.

Furealz wrote:Some people would rather have this game sprite-based and on DS...I say:"Are you on crack?" I skipped gen 5 because I got bored of the sprites and now I wanna play this! Coliseum and XD were the only Pokemons I really got into!

That's a shame, because Gen 5 is probably one of the best generations of Pokemon games. Sprite battles or not, you missed out.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

PreviousNext

Return to 3DS / DS