Streetpass isn't working?

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Zanreo » 14 Jan 2013 12:52

So I think there's something wrong with my 3DS... Streetpass doesn't seem to work anymore? It suddenly stopped working.

I brought it to school like I always do, and as usual I got the Miis from my classmate and saw the familiar green light. However, only one of them showed up, and he has 2 3DSes. "Eh, probably have to wait a bit" I thought. So I did, but the other one didn't show up. Several other of my friends had also brought their 3DSes too, I didn't get them either. They all had Streetpass on.

So I tried turning the Streetpass function off and then on again, since I did that when it had a similar problem a while ago, and it worked again the next time I streetpassed someone. Nope, nothing. Turned the 3DS itself off and on, and turned on/off Streetpass once more. Nope, nothing. Repeated once more. Still nothing... I'm a little worried now. What could be wrong?
Though, the other time it worked again a few days later (the next time I met someone with a 3DS), should I give it a day or two?
Image
User avatar
Zanreo
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 09 Jul 2012 21:46
Location: Norway
NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Edsanji » 14 Jan 2013 13:17

If you have 10 Miis waiting, the 3DS will not StreetPass until you use those Miis.
PSN: Edsanji
3DS FC: way too long to remember it....
Wii FC: Why some will need that?
User avatar
Edsanji
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 07:27
NN ID: Edsanji
PSN: Edsanji

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Zanreo » 14 Jan 2013 13:45

I don't have any Miis waiting... I only got 1 today, and used that one. So it can't be that.
Image
User avatar
Zanreo
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 09 Jul 2012 21:46
Location: Norway
NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby the_nintendo_screw » 14 Jan 2013 13:58

If your 3DS is assigned to a young kid, it will only streetpass people on your friendlist. I had set my older 3DS for my nephew and then I took both my system and his system to the store. I had gotten streetpassed by someone on my system, but his system didn't get that streetpass. I'm not sure what age you can start streetpassing strangers, I had his 3DS set for a 5 year old.

To fix this problem, I just assigned the 3DS to my brother. It streetpasses just fine now, probably since we are both over 18 years old.

I'm not sure what age you set your system to, but perhaps this is the reason why you're not getting streetpassed by other systems. I don't think you can change the age assigned to the system without starting fresh, but you could just simply add the friendcode of the 3DS you are trying to streetpass.

Anyway, hope this helps you out! ;)
MasterofMonsters is super awesome! I lost a bet. Hehe!
User avatar
the_nintendo_screw
Octorok
Octorok
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 19 Jul 2008 10:55
Location: New Jersey
NN ID: BRabbitofInle
3DS: 2062 9226 9407
Wii: 0688 2898 9694 3464

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Zanreo » 14 Jan 2013 14:29

the_nintendo_screw wrote:If your 3DS is assigned to a young kid, it will only streetpass people on your friendlist. I had set my older 3DS for my nephew and then I took both my system and his system to the store. I had gotten streetpassed by someone on my system, but his system didn't get that streetpass. I'm not sure what age you can start streetpassing strangers, I had his 3DS set for a 5 year old.

To fix this problem, I just assigned the 3DS to my brother. It streetpasses just fine now, probably since we are both over 18 years old.

I'm not sure what age you set your system to, but perhaps this is the reason why you're not getting streetpassed by other systems. I don't think you can change the age assigned to the system without starting fresh, but you could just simply add the friendcode of the 3DS you are trying to streetpass.

Anyway, hope this helps you out! ;)

It's my own 3DS and I set my age to my own age, and I'm 18, so I shouldn't have any problems with that... I've never had problems with streetpassing strangers before either. It started today. And I have one of the friends in my friend list too, didn't get him...

(also for that age limit I'm not sure, but I think it might be 13? Just a guess, this is the first time I've heard about this limit... I've been able to streetpass everyone since I was 16, when the 3ds was released.)
Last edited by Zanreo on 15 Jan 2013 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Zanreo
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 09 Jul 2012 21:46
Location: Norway
NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby MoldyClay » 14 Jan 2013 15:16

Sometimes StreetPass just doesn't work. This can happen with things related to the clock.

Also, you don't always streetpass people. I didn't know there was some limit, but my girlfriend and I have been standing in the same place and sometimes I would get streetpasses and not her, and vice versa, and we're both 25.

One time for no reason, I couldn't streetpass her at all for an entire day. Not that I think it had anything to do with it, but I changed my shirt color and Mii Hat, since that resets your Mii sort of. Could also try using another Mii and seeing if that works, then switching back. Doesn't affect your Find Mii or anything.
User avatar
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3721
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 04:34
Location: NJ
NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Zanreo » 14 Jan 2013 15:59

MoldyClay wrote:Sometimes StreetPass just doesn't work. This can happen with things related to the clock.

Also, you don't always streetpass people. I didn't know there was some limit, but my girlfriend and I have been standing in the same place and sometimes I would get streetpasses and not her, and vice versa, and we're both 25.

One time for no reason, I couldn't streetpass her at all for an entire day. Not that I think it had anything to do with it, but I changed my shirt color and Mii Hat, since that resets your Mii sort of. Could also try using another Mii and seeing if that works, then switching back. Doesn't affect your Find Mii or anything.

Hm, I could try that too...
Yeah, I guess it doesn't. It apparently affects others' streetpass info about you though if you change the mii you use(well at least if you don't change back), since I streetpassed a friend after she had changed her Mii, as in switched to a whole newly made one (while having streetpassed her several times before) and when I got her Mii, from the same 3DS she's always had, it was a "new" one in level 1, and I had both this new Mii and her old mii in my streetpass plaza. So I guess my friends will just have to deal with my mii being reset then!

Thanks for the tip, I'll try switching... and see if it works again tomorrow.
(Also after I changed my Mii's shirt right now, I got the old notices about Streetpass quest 2 and a "new puzzle panel" again for some reason... Guess that happens when you "reset" your mii or something. It happened once before a while ago too, I was kind of confused since those weren't news at all and I had got those notices long ago...)
Image
User avatar
Zanreo
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 09 Jul 2012 21:46
Location: Norway
NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby MoldyClay » 14 Jan 2013 23:25

Zanreo wrote:It apparently affects others' streetpass info about you though if you change the mii you use(well at least if you don't change back), since I streetpassed a friend after she had changed her Mii, as in switched to a whole newly made one (while having streetpassed her several times before) and when I got her Mii, from the same 3DS she's always had, it was a "new" one in level 1, and I had both this new Mii and her old mii in my streetpass plaza. So I guess my friends will just have to deal with my mii being reset then!


Yeah, this is just because you technically streetpass the Mii, and not the 3DS for some reason. So you could in theory help someone out and make a legion of Lv.7 Miis by streetpassing one to level it up and then switching and so on. I have a Tingle Mii that I've used during a Zelda event instead of my own Mii. My Mii was still Lv.7 for my girlfriend though after we had streetpassed a few times that day. Tingle is Lv.2 or 3 on there though.

So yeah, for a day or a single street pass, they'd have to deal with a Lv.1 Mii, but could have the other back if it fixes itself and you change back.

So yeah, test it out. Worst case scenario, nothing happens.
User avatar
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3721
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 04:34
Location: NJ
NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Koopzilla » 15 Jan 2013 03:11

If the person you were streetpassing had 10 miis in their plaza it will also not work. Even if they clear out their plaza, you will still have to wait at least 12 hours to get a streetpass from them.

I've also had the thing happen where I will get different streetpasses from someone standing right next to me.
Image
User avatar
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player
 
Posts: 592
Joined: 13 Nov 2010 01:31
Location: Indiana
NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Zanreo » 15 Jan 2013 03:22

Koopzilla wrote:If the person you were streetpassing had 10 miis in their plaza it will also not work. Even if they clear out their plaza, you will still have to wait at least 12 hours to get a streetpass from them.

Pretty sure it's not that, since there's not that many people with 3DSes at our school/area. Also I got one of his miis, but not the other...

MoldyClay wrote:Yeah, this is just because you technically streetpass the Mii, and not the 3DS for some reason. So you could in theory help someone out and make a legion of Lv.7 Miis by streetpassing one to level it up and then switching and so on. I have a Tingle Mii that I've used during a Zelda event instead of my own Mii. My Mii was still Lv.7 for my girlfriend though after we had streetpassed a few times that day. Tingle is Lv.2 or 3 on there though.

So yeah, for a day or a single street pass, they'd have to deal with a Lv.1 Mii, but could have the other back if it fixes itself and you change back.

So yeah, test it out. Worst case scenario, nothing happens.

Aah, I see. Well, we meet every day at school, so I'd be back to level 7 in no time either way.
Image
User avatar
Zanreo
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 09 Jul 2012 21:46
Location: Norway
NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Zanreo » 15 Jan 2013 04:39

Oh, it works again now! Not sure if it was the stuff I did that worked, but whatever it was it's ok again now! thanks.
Image
User avatar
Zanreo
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 09 Jul 2012 21:46
Location: Norway
NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby delpiero » 15 Jan 2013 08:36

You turned it on and off, so it's not the issue, but I didn't know at the time that when you have a DS game inside and suspended, Streetpass doesn't work then. Missed a lot of potential streetpasses that time.
delpiero
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 20 Jan 2010 18:10
NN ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Carbondog » 15 Jan 2013 12:01

I know if you let the battery die it can mess your streetpass data up. Usually I have found that turning the system off and on and sliding the wireless switch off and on should correct it. The times it happened to me I would get partial streetpasses, usually game data but no mii plaza.
Image
User avatar
Carbondog
Octorok
Octorok
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 24 Jul 2011 21:09
Location: Moorhead MN
NN ID: Carbondog
3DS: 3179-6063-7018
Wii: 6339-9624-3474-8158
PSN: Nintenpx
XBL: DeftCarbondog

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Zanreo » 15 Jan 2013 13:31

Carbondog wrote:I know if you let the battery die it can mess your streetpass data up. Usually I have found that turning the system off and on and sliding the wireless switch off and on should correct it. The times it happened to me I would get partial streetpasses, usually game data but no mii plaza.

That's never happened to me as far as I can recall (I've always made sure to charge it when the battery gets low, and never let the battery run completely out) so it's unlikely it's that.
Image
User avatar
Zanreo
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 620
Joined: 09 Jul 2012 21:46
Location: Norway
NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Re: Streetpass isn't working?

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 16 Jan 2013 01:01

Sometimes when I pass people, I'll get their game data but not their Mii. Sometimes Streetpass is just a little funky like that.
User avatar
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant
 
Posts: 235
Joined: 14 Jul 2011 21:08
Location: Ohio
NN ID: TriforceoftheGod
3DS: 2921-9263-7348
Steam ID: TriforceoftheGods
PSN: TriforceoftheGod


Return to 3DS / DS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users