Pokemon DS? Too many options!

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

Pokemon DS? Too many options!

Postby Capn_GEECH » 03 Feb 2013 13:25

Hey guys! I need your input.

Like everybody else I can't wait for the brand spanking new Pokemon title. But unlike most I have not played any versions of the franchise in over ten years! :( (silver was the last addition I purchased, oh the memories)

Now, being a new dad and not caring about showing my inner geek I need to satiate my thirst for catching them all. The only problem is I have no idea where to begin. This is where you come in.

What's your favorite DS title? What to you recommend to prepare a noob for X/Y? I am tempted to just go with one of the 2 newest editions. I probably only have time to play one before October seeing how I have a stack of DS/3DS titles to catch up on.

Thanks in advance.

Capn_ GEECH
Always looking for friends on the Wii U!
Capn_GEECH
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: cjjwn3
3DS: 5000-2144-3187
XBL: xxCapn GEECHxx

Re: Pokemon DS? Too many options!

Postby CrispyGoomba » 03 Feb 2013 17:02

Here are all of the 'main' Pokemon DS games:

Pokemon Diamond & Pearl
Pokemon Platinum

Pokemon Heartgold & SoulSilver

Pokemon Black & White
Pokemon Black 2 & White 2

If you want a fresh start, go with Black or White and then play Black 2 or White 2. They continue the story line, so I wouldn't suggest starting with Black 2 or White 2. HeartGold and SoulSilver are remakes of the original Gold and Silver so this just might be the ones you want to start off with to get that nostalgic factor. As for Platinum and Diamond and Pearl, I'd hold off on buying these until you finish the others. It's not that they're bad, it's just that the others are better.

I don't really have a personal favorite, they're all good and have the same feeling in them.

So to recap:

- I suggest starting off with Black or White and then proceed to playing Black 2 or White 2.

- Or if you want to have that nostalgic feeling, play HeartGold or SoulSilver first.

- Play the games mentioned above first and then try out Platinum and Diamond and Pearl.
CrispyGoomba
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: CrispyGoomba
3DS: 0688-5315-1722
Wii: 1198-2138-8210-1532
XBL: CrispyGoomba

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 03 Feb 2013 19:01

I personally loved Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum more then the first Black and White. So I would suggest one of those 3 first, but that's just my opinion.
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 03 Feb 2013 19:40

For the main games, just get Black and white 2. But I STRONGLY advise you to get Pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky. It's a fantastic game with lots of challenge and content

Proud Nintendo fan since N64, proud RPG fan since Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

NN ID: TheDreaminHawk

Postby J0RdAnN » 03 Feb 2013 20:08

I agree with Crispy Goomba

- I suggest starting off with Black or White and then proceed to playing Black 2 or White 2.

- Or if you want to have that nostalgic feeling, play HeartGold or SoulSilver first.

- Play the games mentioned above first and then try out Platinum.

Seriously Platinum is the definitive 4th gen experience not to mention the Distortion World is one of the coolest area's ever to be in Pokemon.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 03 Feb 2013 20:33

@Capn_GEECH

Whatever @CrispyGoomba and @J0RdAnN said.

Though I'd say you should definitely start with either one of the HeartGold SoulSilver remakes. Just so you'll be in familiar territory. Once you've gotten comfortable then you'll really be ready to jump right back into Pokemon again. :)
Last edited by Mirr0rR3flection on 03 Feb 2013 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 03 Feb 2013 21:57

Well, it's hard for me to recommend which version is the best to (re)start, but I would recommend them as this:

*If you want to start once again while still having access to Pokémon form past Gens, I'd say Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

*If you feel nostalgic, try HeartGold/SoulSilver, you, more or less, already know what to expect, but better. And since you played Silver, you know the Johto and new-Kato regions, what to do be ready for a reintroduction to Pokémon, plus the Pokéwalker.

*If you're looking for a new and fresh beginning, go with Black/White, then go for Black2/White2. Only GenV Pokémon in Unova (B/W), then GenV+Past Pokémon (B2/W2).
HammerGalladeBro
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby Mako » 04 Feb 2013 00:32

Honestly, my favorite Pokemon title to date is Soul Silver just because it brought back everything from the originals and even more. It brought back a lot of great memories with being able to play the classic music as well.

If you want a fresh experience having to use all new Pokemon go with Black and White.

Honestly, whichever one you choose, you will have a fun time. They are all great games.
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Mako91
3DS: 4167-4543-6089
Wii: 0725-3780-1331-9030
PSN: yugoboy91

Postby Tacomaker53 » 04 Feb 2013 01:57

Soulsilver is what brought me back to the series. I had quit right after Platinum, after seeing that each 3rd game of each region has no plot, just "Oh fight Team BlahBlahBlah, get the badges, done". I was in love with the postgame story, and am Still trying to catch the legendaries xD
Tacomaker53
Goomba
Goomba

Postby belmontlegacy » 04 Feb 2013 04:09

In the spirit of the games "gotta catch 'em all!", I encourage you to "gotta collect 'em all", as in the game cartridges =)
belmontlegacy
Shyguy
Shyguy

XBL: The Ahnold

Postby CM30 » 04 Feb 2013 09:24

Well, this probably sounds insane, but if you have a 3DS you could always wait until Pokemon X and Y are released this October. That way everyone's as new to the games as each other...

But if you want one now, probably best to start with either Black or White version, since they've been designed for newcomers to the series and people who haven't played for ages and don't require any knowledge of events from past games to understand what's going on.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby Capn_GEECH » 04 Feb 2013 12:20

This is all good stuff guys. I appreciate everybodies opinions. I have a feeling I will be walking out of GameStop with a copy of white or black. I work nights and have a lot of down time to sit in peace and play games. It's should be no problem to knock a few more titles out before October (so far away! :-s) if I get hooked again.

TheDreamingHawk wrote:For the main games, just get Black and white 2. But I STRONGLY advise you to get Pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky. It's a fantastic game with lots of challenge and content

I may have to try this. I have never really considered playing one of the spin off titles other than Pokemon stadium and God aweful Hey you pikachu back in the day?
Always looking for friends on the Wii U!
Capn_GEECH
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: cjjwn3
3DS: 5000-2144-3187
XBL: xxCapn GEECHxx

Postby J0RdAnN » 04 Feb 2013 13:32

Look up gameplay first the Mystery Dungeon games aren't for everyone. It's also worth noting a 3DS Mystery Dungeon is coming out soon.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby TheDreamingHawk » 04 Feb 2013 19:27

Capn_GEECH wrote:This is all good stuff guys. I appreciate everybodies opinions. I have a feeling I will be walking out of GameStop with a copy of white or black. I work nights and have a lot of down time to sit in peace and play games. It's should be no problem to knock a few more titles out before October (so far away! :-s) if I get hooked again.

TheDreamingHawk wrote:For the main games, just get Black and white 2. But I STRONGLY advise you to get Pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky. It's a fantastic game with lots of challenge and content

I may have to try this. I have never really considered playing one of the spin off titles other than Pokemon stadium and God aweful Hey you pikachu back in the day?

It's way better. IMO Red rescue team is the best game ever made. Don't let the gameplay fool you though, just pick it up and complete it and then you'll see how fantastic it is.

Proud Nintendo fan since N64, proud RPG fan since Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
TheDreamingHawk
Toad
Toad

NN ID: TheDreaminHawk

Postby MegaShock100 » 05 Feb 2013 19:46

Go with B/W and B/W 2. They are mechanically the best in series and have lot of extra content and features like Global Link connectivity. Also they will have events that will probably do something special in X/Y.
MegaShock100
Metool
Metool

Postby MoldyClay » 08 Feb 2013 03:47

The logical thing is to just go for Black 2/White 2 (doesn't matter. White has better exclusives, but Black has Zekrom and White has Reshiram, so that can also be a factor) since it is the most recent and technically the best and probably one of the best games for DS or Pokemon in general.

That said, HeartGold/SoulSilver is pretty definitive for 4th gen, featuring almost everything ever up to that point and being full of nostalgia, while containing all 4 generations.

Platinum is definitive for Diamond and Pearl, but there's just so much more about HG/SS that it's like "why?" unless you're going to experience them all.

But really, if you're going to only get one, Black 2 or White 2 is probably the way to go.

As for spin-offs, I didn't really get into Mystery Dungeon. I happen to LOVE the PokePark games on Wii, but they are more or less for kids, but they're something my childhood always yearned for.

Pokemon Rumble Blast on 3DS is a lot of fun, but it can be repetitive. Even still, it's one of my favorite spin-offs and I play it with my girlfriend a lot.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Return to 3DS / DS