Fire Emblem: Awakening (Out in EU!)

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

Re: Fire Emblem: Awakening (Coming to America!)

Postby AmicableWalrus » 10 Jan 2013 15:29

TheLastBlade wrote:As cool as that is, they've been less productive than square enix revealing the next game to a franchise people actually care about.

I'm not sure I follow...You're saying that they're ineffective, and therefore are twats?

I think they've done a good job of bringing games that otherwise would have gone unnoticed to the attention of gamers, and they've a created a centralized hub to show publishers that there is acknowledgement and interest in these games in the west. Their movement has probably lost strength since all of the initial publicity died down, but that doesn't make their efforts any less valid.
AmicableWalrus
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: AmicableWalrus
3DS: 1547-5295-6521
PSN: AmicableWalrus
XBL: Mister Ed92

Postby YoshiRider123 » 10 Jan 2013 15:31

Funny thing is, the Fire Emblem announcement at E3 was premature, and Reggie only let it slip because Jason from Kotaku straight up asked him, and Reggie somehow didn't know any better (he even said to check the game out in the online press kit...and it wasn't even there). It wasn't until that October Nintendo Direct that it seemed like Nintendo was supposed to announce it then.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Postby YoshiRider123 » 10 Jan 2013 18:13

I'm buying that bundle even though I already own a 3DS.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby the_nintendo_screw » 11 Jan 2013 17:36

What day is this game coming out in America?

I'm interested in this game so I figured it's one that could use a day one purchase.
I'm worried I'll suck at it but hopefully there's a good walkthrough guide available.
MasterofMonsters is super awesome! I lost a bet. Hehe!
the_nintendo_screw
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: BRabbitofInle
3DS: 2062 9226 9407
Wii: 0688 2898 9694 3464

Postby YoshiRider123 » 11 Jan 2013 17:58

the_nintendo_screw wrote:What day is this game coming out in America?

I'm interested in this game so I figured it's one that could use a day one purchase.
I'm worried I'll suck at it but hopefully there's a good walkthrough guide available.

Monday, February 4th.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby MoldyClay » 17 Jan 2013 17:49

So, having played this demo (and loving it), I have to ask why people were SO EXCITED with all amounts of "THANK GOD" about the dual audio.

The demo itself has practically no actual voice work aside from the tiny bits in the two mini cutscenes and a bunch of grunts.

People really that excited about hearing Japanese grunts over English ones? Are they that 'weeaboo'?

Also, this isn't directed at people here. I don't know what people here said about it, but I saw people praising this info on GameFAQs.
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby TheLastBlade » 17 Jan 2013 18:48

MoldyClay wrote:So, having played this demo (and loving it), I have to ask why people were SO EXCITED with all amounts of "THANK GOD" about the dual audio.

The demo itself has practically no actual voice work aside from the tiny bits in the two mini cutscenes and a bunch of grunts.

People really that excited about hearing Japanese grunts over English ones? Are they that 'weeaboo'?

Also, this isn't directed at people here. I don't know what people here said about it, but I saw people praising this info on GameFAQs.

Power to the players I guess... Also, you're better off not listening to some gamefaq users. Some of them believe we were better off with shadow dragon with it's "superior" skill.

On the subject of the demo.... This could be the best 3DS game.
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby AmicableWalrus » 17 Jan 2013 20:38

I was under the impression that there was more voice work than this. :\ Kind of wish the grunts weren't there, I find that they're kind of distracting and repetitive. Still, the dialog itself seems promising. Battle animations are the best they've done since the GBA games. Preordered it yesterday at Gamestop, they better have those art books...
AmicableWalrus
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: AmicableWalrus
3DS: 1547-5295-6521
PSN: AmicableWalrus
XBL: Mister Ed92

Postby Berrix » 17 Jan 2013 21:06

MoldyClay wrote:So, having played this demo (and loving it), I have to ask why people were SO EXCITED with all amounts of "THANK GOD" about the dual audio.

That was always an issue I had with it too. Some declared that "Japanese are more careful with their VA, and actually put effort into it," before as a counter argument. Understandable that we, ourselves, may not find our own VA to be great (see praise for EU VA for Xenoblade). However, pretty sure there is a random Japanese gamer playing the same game thinking, "Gee... This VA sucks."

It always bothered me to, though there is that choice for those who are so butthurt about hearing something they apparently don't like.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby nerdy916 » 17 Jan 2013 23:36

I loved the demo. It was surprisingly lengthy. Anybody want to freeze me so I don't have to wait two weeks.
I HAVE FURY
3DS FRIEND CODE 3523-2199-0567
nerdy916
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 352321990567

Postby CrispyGoomba » 17 Jan 2013 23:53

Haven't finished the demo yet, but I've done 1 level so far. I'm impressed to say the least. My first Fire Emblem game was Shadow Dragon and the difficulty put me off (Read: Not much the difficultly, but having to keep everyone alive], so I'm glad there is an option of classic and casual.
CrispyGoomba
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: CrispyGoomba
3DS: 0688-5315-1722
Wii: 1198-2138-8210-1532
XBL: CrispyGoomba

Postby the_nintendo_screw » 18 Jan 2013 00:55

@ YoshiRider123: Thank you for the quick response. :)

I tried the demo out today and I am very impressed by the game. I like that it has an easy setting, I feel like I can actually get the hang of the gameplay without having to worry about the characters dying forever. I'm trying to play through Sacred Stones and I'm having a hard time in chapter 5, someone's always getting killed. Maybe I'll play Awakening before I finish Sacred Stones and get a better idea about what does/doesn't work.

Anyway, I'm a lot more excited for the game now. I love when Nintendo puts out demos for their games, it makes decisions on whether or not to get a game much easier.
MasterofMonsters is super awesome! I lost a bet. Hehe!
the_nintendo_screw
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: BRabbitofInle
3DS: 2062 9226 9407
Wii: 0688 2898 9694 3464

Postby Berrix » 18 Jan 2013 01:08

CrispyGoomba wrote:Haven't finished the demo yet, but I've done 1 level so far. I'm impressed to say the least. My first Fire Emblem game was Shadow Dragon and the difficulty put me off (Read: Not much the difficultly, but having to keep everyone alive], so I'm glad there is an option of classic and casual.

Though I won't be playing that mode (learned and played since the first GBA one to come stateside), Casual is an amazing leap forward to ease some players into the game more comfortably. Probably helps with the experimenting of the unions players can create.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby VinceFox » 18 Jan 2013 02:14

My concern is will this game sell well
if you recall Fire Emblem has a very sad record in terms of sales
and Shadow Dragon is the pure example of that
why else would the follow up didn't come stateside?
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RetroToonMaster
3DS: 3351-4181-1924
PSN: RetroToonFan

Postby TheLastBlade » 18 Jan 2013 02:18

VinceFox wrote:My concern is will this game sell well

Well, funny thing is, America and Japan is actually where Fire Emblem does the best (yes, even Shadow Dragon). It's Europe and the rest of the world that's screwing us over.

On the subject of Fire Emblem: ..... Fire Emblem is finally getting the attention it deserves..... I'm gonna cry...

Also, witness the most immature Fire Emblem joke EVER.

Chrom: Just eat it Lissa. Meat is meat.

And if you don't get it..... Then congratulations, you protected your innocence.
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby nerdy916 » 18 Jan 2013 02:39

The limited edition 3ds and dlc will bring in more sales than past fire emblem games.imo
I HAVE FURY
3DS FRIEND CODE 3523-2199-0567
nerdy916
Chocobo
Chocobo

3DS: 352321990567

Postby YoshiRider123 » 18 Jan 2013 03:26

You can turn off the voice work if you don't like it for whatever reason.

TheLastBlade wrote:Also, witness the most immature Fire Emblem joke EVER.

Chrom: Just eat it Lissa. Meat is meat.

And if you don't get it..... Then congratulations, you protected your innocence.

is it bad that i immediately had this in mind when i first read that
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Koopzilla » 18 Jan 2013 03:56

I just tried out the demo, and I'm really impressed. I haven't ever played a Fire Emblem, besides about an hour or so of the ambassador title. I was unsure about getting this, but I think I'm going to now. The 3D looks really good too, some of the best looking yet imo.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby MoldyClay » 18 Jan 2013 05:30

Berrix wrote:That was always an issue I had with it too. Some declared that "Japanese are more careful with their VA, and actually put effort into it," before as a counter argument. Understandable that we, ourselves, may not find our own VA to be great (see praise for EU VA for Xenoblade). However, pretty sure there is a random Japanese gamer playing the same game thinking, "Gee... This VA sucks."

It always bothered me to, though there is that choice for those who are so butthurt about hearing something they apparently don't like.

Yeah, that's the thing. I forgot who said it from the anime industry, but there are some anime where Japanese fans actually prefer the ENGLISH DUB because the actor did a better job at conveying the way the character should be, versus their own Japanese actors.

So whenever I hear people go on about how Japanese are better I have to wonder if it's just that they like the foreign sound better. They don't know if they are acting well in Japanese.

That said, obviously yes, there are some actors that are worse than others in dubbing, or rather, worse for the roles they get chosen to play, but that's also not always even the actor's fault. They get directed and follow directions. I've seen/heard numerous accounts of voice actors who had a better idea of how something should be, or pronounced something CORRECTLY (as in, a Japanese name or word), but they were directed to say it wrong or differently and that was the take they used because that's what they wanted.

So I just have an issue with people calling our voice actors bad at every turn when it's far from true and not always their fault, and the Japanese voices aren't always "better" at their job just because it's not the same English voices we always hear.

VinceFox wrote:My concern is will this game sell well

Didn't Fire Emblem do well prior to Shadow Dragon though?

Not that I play FE games, but I still think it's dumb that they skipped over that game.
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby VinceFox » 19 Jan 2013 12:54

I just preordered the game
mostly due to
1. Casual Mode
2. Customizable Main Character
3. Marth as DLC
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby CrispyGoomba » 19 Jan 2013 13:25

Does anyone find it weird that this game is coming out on a Monday instead of Nintendo's usual Sunday? I want to pre-order this game, but I don't feel like getting out of school, driving 20 miles to the closest GameStop and then driving 20 miles back to get home. I don't know...I'll think about it. Now, if this was Animal Crossing we were talking about, I'd do anything.
CrispyGoomba
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: CrispyGoomba
3DS: 0688-5315-1722
Wii: 1198-2138-8210-1532
XBL: CrispyGoomba

Postby YoshiRider123 » 19 Jan 2013 15:12

CrispyGoomba wrote:Does anyone find it weird that this game is coming out on a Monday instead of Nintendo's usual Sunday? I want to pre-order this game, but I don't feel like getting out of school, driving 20 miles to the closest GameStop and then driving 20 miles back to get home. I don't know...I'll think about it. Now, if this was Animal Crossing we were talking about, I'd do anything.

Yeah, it is weird. I don't really understand why Nintendo won't release it on a Sunday.

But personally it's fine with me, since my Monday mornings are always free where as I'm always busy on Sunday until like the afternoon.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby VinceFox » 19 Jan 2013 18:34

YoshiRider123 wrote:
CrispyGoomba wrote:Does anyone find it weird that this game is coming out on a Monday instead of Nintendo's usual Sunday? I want to pre-order this game, but I don't feel like getting out of school, driving 20 miles to the closest GameStop and then driving 20 miles back to get home. I don't know...I'll think about it. Now, if this was Animal Crossing we were talking about, I'd do anything.

Yeah, it is weird. I don't really understand why Nintendo won't release it on a Sunday.

But personally it's fine with me, since my Monday mornings are always free where as I'm always busy on Sunday until like the afternoon.

I hazard to guess is they are trying to get the cornhold on the hardcore gamers whom would do anything including play hookie to get their gubby mitts on a video game like this
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby nintenfan1456 » 21 Jan 2013 12:16

I'm extremely excited about Fire Emblem: Awakening, it will be my first FE game, besides Sacred Stones. I had a question though: Does each game continue off one another, or is each game set in a different place and time. Just wondering, thanks!
nintenfan1456
Octorok
Octorok

Postby YoshiRider123 » 21 Jan 2013 15:20

nintenfan1456 wrote:I'm extremely excited about Fire Emblem: Awakening, it will be my first FE game, besides Sacred Stones. I had a question though: Does each game continue off one another, or is each game set in a different place and time. Just wondering, thanks!

It's kind of like Zelda where there are games that are undoubtedly related to each other, and there's implications that they're all related in a single universe or something.

There are thirteen games in the series.

FE1 - Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi - The original game with Marth on the continent of Archanea.
FE2 - Fire Emblem Gaiden - A gaiden game taking place after FE1 on a different continent, Valencia.
FE3 - Fire Emblem: Monshō no Nazo - Direct sequel to FE1 a few years later. Also includes an abridged remake of FE1.
FE4 - Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - Takes place on another continent, but the backstory says that it all takes place a very long time before FE1 and the continent, Jugdral, is south of Archanea.
FE5 - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Midquel to FE4 that takes place in the middle of the game, in Jugdral's Thracian peninsula.
FE6 - Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi - Seemingly completely unrelated to the previous games, on Elibe. The one with Roy.
FE7 - Fire Emblem - Prequel to FE6 a few years earlier.
FE8 - Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Also seemingly completely unrelated to the previous games, on Magvel.
FE9 - Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - This one too, on Tellius. The one with Ike.
FE10 - Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Direct sequel to FE9 a few years later.
FE11 - Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - Remake of FE1.
FE12 - Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~ - Remake of FE3.
FE13 - Fire Emblem Awakening - Takes place thousands of years after Marth's time. Archanea is now Ylisse. Tons of allusions to every single game in the series.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

PreviousNext

Return to 3DS / DS