Swapnote (Service Suspended)

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

Swapnote (Service Suspended)

Postby YoshiRider123 » 02 Nov 2012 14:15

Hello.

Swapnote, also known as Nintendo Letter Box elsewhere, is the free messaging service for the Nintendo 3DS, available exclusively via the Nintendo eShop. I'll spare the details of its functionality and the like, since I will assume that anyone who reads this thread already knows everything there is to know about the application.

I have made this thread as an outlet for those here at GoNintendo who wish to discuss Swapnote, be it their own thoughts, questions or advice, or, what I personally am most interested in, new special stationery.

I'm sure that you're all aware that over time, Nintendo or its partners send out special messages that typically come with a unique stationery that you can save and use for your own purposes, regardless of whether you got the message or not. There are a lot out there, and not only do I strive to collect them all, I intend to document each and every one of them as they come, for as long as they do.

The following spoiler contains makeshift names, approximate release dates, and image rips of all known special stationery for Swapnote. I give credit to those at GBAtemp for the images.

Last updated: 7/14/13

Spoiler:
The Year of Luigi (7/12/13)

The Legend of Zelda #2 (6/11/13)

Pokémon X/Pokémon Y #2 (6/11/13)/Pocket Monsters X/Pocket Monsters Y #2 (6/12/13)
Image/Image

Pokémon X/Pokémon Y #1 (6/11/13)/Pocket Monsters X/Pocket Monsters Y #1 (6/12/13)
Image/Image

Animal Crossing: New Leaf #3 (6/9/13)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf #2 (6/3/13)

Monster Hunter 4 (5/31/13)

Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (5/17/13)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf #1 (5/17/13)

Issho ni Photo: Super Mario (5/2/13)

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins #2 (4/22/13)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity #3 (4/18/13)

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger #2 (NA) (4/18/13)/The Rolling Western: Saigo no Yōjinbō #2 (JP) (4/27/13)
Image/Image

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger #1 (NA) (4/18/13)/The Rolling Western: Saigo no Yōjinbō #1 (JP) (4/27/13)
Image/Image

HarmoKnight (4/17/13)

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins #1 (4/17/13)

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon #2 (4/17/13)/Luigi's Mansion 2 #2 (4/25/13)
Image/Image

Swapnote Update (4/11/13)

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon #1 (3/15/13)/Luigi Mansion 2 #1 (3/15/13)/Luigi's Mansion 2 (3/15/13)
Image/Image/Image

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity #2 (3/15/13)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity #1 (3/15/13)

Fire Emblem Awakening #1 (2/15/13)

Valentine's Day #2 (2/14/13)

Denpa Ningen no RPG 2 #4 (2/10/13)

Kobito Zukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set (2/6/13)

Tobidase Dōbutsu no Mori (2/2/13)

Pokédex 3D Pro (1/19/13)

Denpa Ningen no RPG 2 #3 (1/10/13)

Spoiler:
Happy Holidays (12/14/12)

Denpa Ningen no RPG 2 #2 (12/14/12)

Nintendo Direct #2 (NA) (12/5/12)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 #3 (NA) (11/27/12)

Denpa Ningen no RPG 2 #1 (11/22/12)

Fallblox (11/16/12)/Crashmo (11/22/12)
Image/Image

Pokémon Black Version 2/Pokémon White Version 2 #3 (11/2/12)

Pokémon Black Version 2/Pokémon White Version 2 #2 (11/2/12)

Pokémon Black Version 2/Pokémon White Version 2 #1 (11/2/12)

Fire Emblem Kakusei (10/30/12)/Fire Emblem Awakening #2 (4/17/13)/Fire Emblem: Awakening (4/28/13)
Image/Image/Image

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (10/25/12)

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (10/10/12)

Super Mario 3D Land (10/10/12)

Nintendo Direct #2 (EU) (9/11/12)

Nintendo Direct #2 (JP) (8/28/12)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 #2 (NA) (8/14/12)

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (7/25/12)

Marine Day (7/21/12)

Mario Tennis Open #2 (7/12/12)

Culdcept (6/30/12)

Monster Hunter 3G #3 (6/23/12)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP) (6/22/12)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 #1 (NA) (6/22/12)

Nintendo All-Access @ E3 2012 (6/4/12)

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D #2 (6/2/12)

Mario Tennis Open #1 (5/21/12)

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry no Wonderland 3D #1 (5/12/12)

Art Academy (5/2/12)/Egokoro Kyōshitsu (5/2/12)
Image/Image

I Fight Dragons (4/23/12)

Monster Hunter 3G #2 (4/23/12)

Nintendo Direct #1 (EU) (4/21/12)

Nintendogs + Cats (2/22/12)

Monster Hunter 3G #1 (2/22/12)

GameCenter CX (2/22/12)

The Legend of Zelda #1 (2/22/12)

Nintendo Direct #1 (JP) (2/21/12)

Nintendo Direct #1 (NA) (2/21/12)

Valentine's Day #1 (2/14/12)

New Year's Day (1/1/12)

It is worth mentioning that it is not possible to have multiple different region versions of the exact same stationery stored on the same Nintendo 3DS at the same time. While you can receive and save the version that doesn't match your region for later use, it will always be overwritten by the one that does match your region if you ever receive it by anyone. After that, your foreign stationery will no longer be able to be saved to your collection unless you delete the proper one.

You're all welcome to make any stationery swap arrangements with other members here. I kindly ask that no one begs me for any of them, however. Nothing personal.

If you ever find that this list is outdated, do not hesitate to post here and let me know. In that case, I'll see to it that the list is updated as soon as possible.

Need help trying to get special stationery? Refer to my guide (spoilered for size):

Spoiler:
Getting Started

There are two ways to obtain these special stationery, both of which require wireless communication. It is not possible to unlock them by yourself and use Play Coins to purchase them.

The ability to use different stationery, special or not, isn't available once you start using Swapnote, and it must be unlocked. Once you have a specific number of notes saved (a collective pool of every note you have, including your own notes and any replies), you will receive a note from Nikki that will let you save special stationery. I don't know of the exact number required for receiving this note or which note this is (there are three that involve stationery, but none of them specifically mention the existence of special stationery), but once you do obtain this ability, any special stationery accompanied with all future notes will be saved to your 3DS.

To optimize the opportunities of receiving special stationery, you want to go to Settings and have the following options enabled (Yes):

• SpotPass Activated - So that you can receive any notes through SpotPass, which may or may not contain special stationery.
  • StreetPass Activated - So that you can receive any notes through StreetPass, which may or may not contain special stationery.
  • Special Notes Received - So that you can receive special notes from Nintendo and its partners via SpotPass, which always contain special stationery.
Keep in mind that you only need at least one of these options turned on in order to have a way of receiving special stationery, but I strongly recommend having at least the first and last ones enabled. Something I'm not sure about is whether or not the Special Note Received option is overridden by the SpotPass Activated option if the latter is turned off since they both utilize SpotPass.

Lastly, while I can't confirm this for sure, I believe that additional stationery is saved to your SD card. In your System Settings, Swapnote is saved under two different entries: one for the application itself and another for "extra data", which I think may include saved notes and special stationery. That said, if the extra data really does expand and consume more memory whenever you're saving that kind of data, I have the idea that if your SD card is completely full, it will become impossible to save anything more. As a precaution, make sure your SD card is not full to ensure your ability to save special stationery.

Receiving Special Stationery

The main way is by receiving special notes that are sent by Nintendo or its partners during the time of their distribution. In order to receive these special notes, an important step to do is that you must go to Settings and enable the Special Notes Received option with Yes. With this, you will automatically receive special notes whenever they're given out, which typically will offer new stationery that you can not obtain otherwise. Enabling the option will not retroactively have the special notes sent prior to your setting activation be sent to you, so you shouldn't expect anything to happen until a new special note is sent out.

Now, let's say a special note is sent out. How will you know? Well, if you did everything correctly and have everything necessary enabled, you will receive a SpotPass notification on your Home Menu (alternatively, while you're already in the application, tap SpotPass Delivery Check for a manual search of note deliveries). Let the note and any others download. You won't know if it's a special note until you open it and you see a gold border around it when displaying the preview. After reading the contents of the special note, what should happen immediately after exiting the note is that the application will pause for about five seconds with the message that it's saving the stationery. Once the note is saved, you can use it as many times as you'd like.

It's worth noting that not every special note is sent to everyone because they're for specific audiences (the Bravely Default: Flying Fairy special stationery, for example, was issued in a special note that was only distributed in Japan), so if you want those particular stationery that accompany them, you will want to receive a note containing that stationery from a friend.

This other method of receiving special stationery is especially handy for getting the ones that you weren't able to get through special notes, and it's really easy. Just have a friend send you a message with the special stationery that you want, and it will be saved to your collection just as it would if it came from a special note. It does not matter if the special stationery originally came from a region that doesn't match yours, it's yours to keep.

StreetPass will ultimately become your last resort if you can't get Internet on your 3DS. It works entirely the same as getting a special note or a regular note from an online friend. As long as you can find people who have those special stationery and they have the according note queued for StreetPass, you can theoretically obtain every special stationery without ever having to go online.

Using Your Special Stationery

Now that you have your special stationery saved, you'll eventually want to try it out when writing a note. To do this, tap Write a Note, and in the options, choose Change Stationery. It is here that all of your stationery, including special stationery, appear. Slide through the gallery all the way to the right, which is where all special stationery would be stored. If you see the special stationery there, then that you means you've successfully downloaded it and are able to use it.

Discuss.
Last edited by YoshiRider123 on 14 Jul 2013 14:10, edited 23 times in total.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Re: Swapnote

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 02 Nov 2012 18:37

YoshiRider123 wrote:Pokémon Black Version 2/Pokémon White Version 2 - Genesect (EU) (11/2/12)

I got a gold SwapNote of this one on my (NA) 3DS. :?
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby YoshiRider123 » 02 Nov 2012 18:55

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:
YoshiRider123 wrote:Pokémon Black Version 2/Pokémon White Version 2 - Genesect (EU) (11/2/12)

I got a gold SwapNote of this one on my (NA) 3DS. :?

Excellent. That was intentionally left incorrect in hopes that someone could comment on this. Thank you for letting me know that American 3DS systems can get both.

I would like to ask, did the notification say that you got this one for playing Black 2, White 2, either one, or both?
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 02 Nov 2012 19:04

YoshiRider123 wrote:Excellent. That was intentionally left incorrect in hopes that someone could comment on this. Thank you for letting me know that American 3DS systems can get both.

How sneaky of you. :mrgreen:

YoshiRider123 wrote:I would like to ask, did the notification say that you got this one for playing Black 2, White 2, either one, or both?

Now that you mention that, I just checked my notifications and yes this note is only being sent to people who've played Pokemon Black Version 2.
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

Postby YoshiRider123 » 02 Nov 2012 19:10

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:
YoshiRider123 wrote:Excellent. That was intentionally left incorrect in hopes that someone could comment on this. Thank you for letting me know that American 3DS systems can get both.

How sneaky of you. :mrgreen:

YoshiRider123 wrote:I would like to ask, did the notification say that you got this one for playing Black 2, White 2, either one, or both?

Now that you mention that, I just checked my notifications and yes this note is only being sent to people who've played Pokemon Black Version 2.

Alright, cool. That's all I needed to know, so I'll fix that.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby MoldyClay » 04 Nov 2012 10:47

What is being sent to people who played Black Version 2?

Of all 3 Pokemon stationary, the only one I got was the one with the two Kyurems.

My girlfriend, who has White Version 2, got none of the stationary.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 04 Nov 2012 11:12

MoldyClay wrote:What is being sent to people who played Black Version 2?

White Version 2 players should only be receiving the other Genesect stationary, not this one. As for the two Kyurems stationary, those who've played the free Pokedex 3D app should be receiving it. I've received gold SwapNotes of both. (Just not the White Version 2 one since I currently don't have that game yet.) It takes awhile to receive SpotPass so who knows when you'll get it.
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

Postby YoshiRider123 » 04 Nov 2012 12:06

I did as much research as I could, but I'm still not entirely sure how the Genesect stationery distribution was supposed to work.

It obviously looked like one of the two stationery would be exclusively associated with one of the two games, but I've been reported of people getting one of the stationery with the opposite game. Someone on NeoGAF told me that they received the purple one with Black 2, and someone here told me that they got the black one with Black 2. I don't want to dismiss the idea that they are supposed to be tied to specific games, but from what it looks like, I think the stationery may actually be random even though the message tied with the note will be according to your game. In theory, however, you should have gotten both if you played both.

I may have already come to a more conclusive idea if I had actually played one of the games by then, but alas, I did not.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby MoldyClay » 04 Nov 2012 15:02

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:Image

White Version 2 players should only be receiving the other Genesect stationary, not this one. As for the two Kyurems stationary, those who've played the free Pokedex 3D app should be receiving it. I've received gold SwapNotes of both. (Just not the White Version 2 one since I currently don't have that game yet.) It takes awhile to receive SpotPass so who knows when you'll get it.

Aha.

Okay. So I should have gotten the Black one (didn't yet) and the Kyurem one (which I did get). My girlfriend should get the purple one (didn't yet) and the Kyurem one (also didn't yet).

Though someone just sent me the Genesect ones randomly just now anyway, so now it doesn't matter, and in turn, I sent them to her.

YoshiRider123 wrote:I did as much research as I could, but I'm still not entirely sure how the Genesect stationery distribution was supposed to work.

It obviously looked like one of the two stationery would be exclusively associated with one of the two games, but I've been reported of people getting one of the stationery with the opposite game. Someone on NeoGAF told me that they received the purple one with Black 2, and someone here told me that they got the black one with Black 2. I don't want to dismiss the idea that they are supposed to be tied to specific games, but from what it looks like, I think the stationery may actually be random even though the message tied with the note will be according to your game. In theory, however, you should have gotten both if you played both.

I may have already come to a more conclusive idea if I had actually played one of the games by then, but alas, I did not.

What it looks like is that you get ONE if you have one game, but it is random, basically? I have gotten neither so far, however. Aside from someone giving them to me. Will report back if I actually get it.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

Postby YoshiRider123 » 04 Nov 2012 21:50

Yeah, in short, I think it may be that if you played one game, you got one of the two randomly, because according to what I've been told, which version you played didn't matter. I think I remember people saying they got all three, so I want to think that if you played both, you got both. If you're sure that you played either one but didn't get any Genesect stationery, my only guess is that it may have been delayed and you just haven't gotten it yet.

On a different note (haaa), I updated the first post with a detailed guide of mine about receiving and using special stationery, since I realize that it's frequently asked how it works. It's a copypasta from a different place, but it should prove to be very handy for those unsure about the kinks of special stationery.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby J0RdAnN » 04 Nov 2012 22:19

I just got the Kyurem Forms one...Still waiting on the Genesect. Random fan theory about Genesect-It's a heavily modified Kabutops...
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby YoshiRider123 » 16 Nov 2012 18:25

It has just come to my attention of this new stationery that was released today in Europe.

It's Crashmo, or Fallblox if you prefer. This is the only version as of this time.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby 0xTW » 21 Nov 2012 15:00

YoshiRider123 wrote:Nintendo Direct #1 (EU) (4/21/12)

Nintendo Direct #2 (EU) (9/11/12)

Super Mario 3D Land (10/10/12)

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (10/25/12)

Pokémon Black Version 2/Pokémon White Version 2 - Black Kyurem/White Kyurem (11/2/12)

I have these if anyone wants them.
Add on 3DS: 4871 3140 2425. Dunno what else to put here :P
0xTW
Fairy
Fairy

3DS: 4871 3140 2425

Postby YoshiRider123 » 28 Nov 2012 20:49

A new stationery from Japan is now available. Denpa Ningen RPG 2. Will provide an image when I get one.

Edit: Found a picture of it, but I will choose to hold off until we get a better quality one.

I would also like to say that I have discovered that an American Crashmo stationery has been or will be sent to all Pushmo players. From the sound of the report I'm getting, it's Art Academy 2.0.

Edit 2: Crashmo replaced Fallblox on my 3DS, so yeah. You can't have both at once, although I'm curious as to what this is like on a Japanese 3DS.

Edit 3: Here's Denpa Ningen RPG 2.

I still don't have an image of the Crashmo one.

Edit 4: Here it is.

Edit 5: A new New Super Mario Bros. 2 stationery exists. Will provide a good image when possible.
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 28 Nov 2012 23:01

Someone from Italy was nice enough to send me the newest New Super Mario Bros. 2 stationary. ^_^

Don't expect anything really new. Hint: Its just more gold with a bit of silver.
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

Postby YoshiRider123 » 01 Dec 2012 15:35

Image of the New Super Mario Bros. 2 stationery.

Edit: A new Wii U stationery has originated from America today, will provide a rip when possible.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 06 Dec 2012 00:50

Just got a new stationary from Reggie. :D

Seems to be the WaraWara Plaza. ^o^
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

Postby J0RdAnN » 06 Dec 2012 15:12

There is a new WiiU themed stationary out in the states...
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby YoshiRider123 » 07 Dec 2012 10:18

Image get.

ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby CM30 » 07 Dec 2012 17:49

I have that stationary. Have to admit, I was initially a bit confused to why they used a photo of the Miiverse thing as SwapNote stationary until I heard about Reggie's later. But hey, I don't get those messages, just the stationary.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby MoldyClay » 08 Dec 2012 03:36

I think the most annoying thing is that I got sent the Fallblox one from someone online and now I don't have it because Crashmo overwrote it. Not that it matters, but I don't like that some are region specific and I can't just have them all. That kind of stuff always bothers me.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

Postby YoshiRider123 » 14 Dec 2012 11:13

I've added images of the two new stationery that were sent out today.

ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby MoldyClay » 16 Dec 2012 06:04

I still don't have the Denpa Christmas one. My usual source hasn't sent/gotten it yet. I saw people on GAF didn't actually have it yet either earlier. Anyone actually have it?
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 16 Dec 2012 11:34

YoshiRider123 wrote:Image

I'm surprised I got a gold note of this one from just playing the demo on my Japanese 3DS. xD

To receive certain stationaries you have to own "the" game but I never knew you could get some just from playing its demo. :o
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

Postby YoshiRider123 » 31 Dec 2012 21:10

Two new stationery, both seem to be New Year's themed.

Will add them to the gallery later.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Next

Return to 3DS / DS