3DS currently outselling Vita by 46 to 1 in Japan

Whats better then one screen? Well two screens of course! Current-gen portables inside: DS, Lite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS...

3DS currently outselling Vita by 46 to 1 in Japan

Postby ShiftyCat » 15 Nov 2012 11:39

http://www.gamesradar.com/3ds-currently ... 6-1-japan/

another nail in the coffin. and i own a vita. :(
My top 10: Alan Wake (x360), Resident Evil Remake (GC), Resident Evil 4 (GC), LoZ Link's Awakening (GB), Shadow of the Colossus (Ps2), Sonic Series (Sega Gen), Super Smash Bros. Brawl (wii), Final Fantasy IX(ps1), Starcraft 2(pc), and Counter Strike (pc).
ShiftyCat
Fairy
Fairy

PSN: ShiftyCat
XBL: GrimeFarrah

Re: 3DS currently outselling Vita by 46 to 1 in Japan

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 15 Nov 2012 12:12

I think the fate of the Vita will be determined by how well it does this holiday.... But then again, maybe it won't? Depends on how much Sony wants to support the thing. They could keep pumping money out to get it the software it needs, and drop the price of it and then it would start selling well. Not to mention the PS+ support that starts in 4 days on it. (Free Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, Jet Set Radio HD, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, and one other game that was dumb looking)

I own a Vita (A friend bought one and then got one for free so he sold it to me for $140), and I was singing its doom and gloom before I got it. Now I just believe that Sony really just needs to make sure that games keep coming out for it and that they drop the price of it. If they do that then the portable will start selling. I think there is room for both the 3DS and the Vita. Will the Vita ever outsell the 3DS? No, but here's to hoping that Sony won't give up on it.
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Postby YoshiRider123 » 15 Nov 2012 13:43

ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Postby AmicableWalrus » 15 Nov 2012 14:18

I want to get a Vita if only to have access to the PSP and PS1 games available in the store, but $250 plus the cost of the proprietary memory card makes it a hard sell when I pretty much just want to play old games. I'd need to have some sort of assurance that Sony actually cares about their handheld and that this thing won't be dead and buried by 2014.
AmicableWalrus
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: AmicableWalrus
3DS: 1547-5295-6521
PSN: AmicableWalrus
XBL: Mister Ed92

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 15 Nov 2012 14:26

@YoshiRider123 Uncharted Golden Abyss, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet, Modnation Racers, Ragnorak Odyssey, and Wipeout are just a few of the already released games that are excellent for the system (depending on your preferences I suppose). That's not including games that are on the PS3/PS2 that now have portable versions, as well as games that are scheduled to come out. There is also a plethora of digital offerings available for the console. Including but not limited to PS1 and PSP games (which for PSP games that used the d-pad as a camera control, you can now map to the right analog stick).

What's my point? Now that I own one, I actually see that the system is pretty awesome, and that it does have plenty of games to keep me occupied. I now realize that the system's biggest drawback is the price. Before getting it I was part of the group of people who teared it down for not having games, when in actuality that's not true. Whether or not those games are for you is a whole different story, but as long as Sony keeps games coming out for it, then there is nothing really to complain about in the games department.

As of right now I believe that if you own a PS3 that the Vita is a must have. (PS+ is well worth it for the amount of content it supplies you with, in my opinion) Especially since if you buy the Sony games that come out for both on the PS3 you'll get a digital copy for your Vita, and will be able to do cross platform play and play the game when you're out and about.

@AmericableWalrus Yeah, they definitely need to drop the price. It is pretty ridiculous that you have to spend a lot for the portable and then dish out a nice chunk again for a decent memory card. I know that there is going to be some deals on black friday (i.e. Gamestop having the Assassin's Creed bundle for $200), but hopefully they'll get a more permanent solution out there.
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

Postby YoshiRider123 » 15 Nov 2012 15:56

I don't think the problem with the Vita is really with its starting price, but more so with the fact that its software line-up isn't really moving units as much as people want it to. Media Create shows a very notable correlation between huge Vita spikes and when actual system sellers are released, and shortly afterwards, Vita sales quickly plummet. I honestly see even the proprietary memory card prices being a bigger issue than the system price itself.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Postby TheLastBlade » 15 Nov 2012 16:03

1. The Vita sucks.
2. Seriously, what the **** is up with the design? Touch screen on front and back? This is something jim sterling would love.... Oh wait...
3. What's up with people using the whole "it's expensive for a reason!" thing? Yeah, it's expensive because it's powerful, but you don't always see people leaving with limos.
4. The games suck. I quit the psp because I only loved one game, thought a few were good, and the rest were shi+. That's the last time I'll ever get a Sony handheld (I have access to a vita, btw. And yes, that person is shooting his foot).
5. The memory cards....WTF? Why is it that 4gb memory cards is the same price as an 8gb sd card? The 3DS can use over a billion types of SD cards, and yet Sony had to use very specific ones. Even in best buy, 32 gb can go only $50, while the vita's 32gb is over $70... Anyone sees this error (I am aware that best buy has a habit of changing prices)?
6. "it had a better launch than the 3ds!" excuse is also lame.... That was MONTHS ago, and yet they don't see that they lack games and suck at the same time.
7. Is the copying nintendo's game cards more powerful? Is it too expensive to make another disc based media? At this point, it would be better to make a psp 2 than the vita. Because, even I'll admit, the psp was a good looking handheld. But they just had to copy Nintendo and make shi++y card based games. Instead of having true backwards compatibility, they opted to make the buyers pay whatever sum of money for certain psp games.

I heard that sony is doing bad too. And then there's fanboys defending Sony... Ok. Have fun at blockbuster!
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 15 Nov 2012 16:27

I really don't understand all the hate that comes from both fan bases. Sony fanboys crap on Nintendo for every little thing, and Nintendo fanboys do the same to Sony. I guess it's too much to ask for someone to be objective about things and just enjoy video games as a whole.

Yes, the system is expensive and it could be cheaper. Yes the memory card situation is absolutely appalling. I just want to make it clear that I couldn't agree more with those points. I also want to note that my statements are not defending Sony as a company, but rather defending the Vita as a console in general. This is also coming from someone who only paid $140 to get the Vita and an 8gb memory card, so my defending statements have nothing to do with price...because I can't relate to that. Personally, I find the Vita's software to be better then what most people give it credit for, and I'll leave my defending statements at that. I realize that no matter what I say, I can't win. This is a Nintendo focused site, not a general gaming or Sony focused one.
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

Postby TheLastBlade » 15 Nov 2012 16:33

Broken_Cartridge wrote:I really don't understand all the hate that comes from both fan bases. Sony fanboys crap on Nintendo for every little thing, and Nintendo fanboys do the same to Sony. I guess it's too much to ask for someone to be objective about things and just enjoy video games as a whole.

Yes, the system is expensive and it could be cheaper. Yes the memory card situation is absolutely appalling. I just want to make it clear that I couldn't agree more with those points. I also want to note that my statements are not defending Sony as a company, but rather defending the Vita as a console in general. This is also coming from someone who only paid $140 to get the Vita and an 8gb memory card, so my defending statements have nothing to do with price...because I can't relate to that. Personally, I find the Vita's software to be better then what most people give it credit for, and I'll leave my defending statements at that. I realize that no matter what I say, I can't win. This is a Nintendo focused site, not a general gaming or Sony focused one.

Lol, even Sony fans HATE the vita for various reasons. Besides, the games suck. Get that into your system.
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 15 Nov 2012 18:00

I will never buy a Vita now……even if it ever gets a Kingdom Hearts game I would rather spend that money on getting a PS3. Plus I hear from Sony fanboys that sony is forcing "gimmicks" rather than assigning something to a button on some Vita games by default. Not giving them an option to turn them off on some.
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby ShiftyCat » 15 Nov 2012 18:23

The games aren't horrible but they aren't system movers either. Start up cost to get into the Vita is ridiculous. I also feel like Sony is just being lazy. They could have and should have dropped the price earlier. They don't even seem to be putting their development strength behind it when all they mostly show is ports and Call of Duty (which sucks). I hate to say it maybe its time for Sony to completely fund a Grand Theft Auto for the thing lol.
My top 10: Alan Wake (x360), Resident Evil Remake (GC), Resident Evil 4 (GC), LoZ Link's Awakening (GB), Shadow of the Colossus (Ps2), Sonic Series (Sega Gen), Super Smash Bros. Brawl (wii), Final Fantasy IX(ps1), Starcraft 2(pc), and Counter Strike (pc).
ShiftyCat
Fairy
Fairy

PSN: ShiftyCat
XBL: GrimeFarrah

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 15 Nov 2012 18:34

I forgot to mention their biggest complaint is the overpriced memory cards. The Vita's price doesn't need lowering for them, just the memory cards.
Last edited by Mirr0rR3flection on 15 Nov 2012 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby MegaMan64 » 15 Nov 2012 20:36

Wow. I know that the 3DS was doing better sales wise, but I never thought it would be like this.

Feel free to add me on your 3DS. PM me if u do. Also got a Wii U now, so add me as well and PM me!

MegaMan64
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Nerps64
3DS: 4596-9581-6101
Steam ID: SuperObjection64
PSN: SuperSpy12

Postby Ry » 15 Nov 2012 22:37

It looks really bad now, but it's only going to get worse when Monster Hunter 4 and that Dragon Quest Remake comes out. Two more system sellers on the horizon.
"Your blade...it did not cut deep enough."
Ry
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby komicturtle92 » 16 Nov 2012 00:54

PSVita is at a great price point. It's the Memory Cards as some have already mentioned and there needs to be more games and support.
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Postby cobaltorange » 16 Nov 2012 01:41

I gave my PSP a few years and was really disappointed with it; I couldn't handle its mediocrity, so I sold it. It's funny, I liked the PS2/PS3 more than GC/Wii, but I LOVE the (3)DS and really dislike PSP/Vita.
Bourgeois, why would you care for more? They give you almost everything. You believed almost anything.
cobaltorange
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Koopzilla » 16 Nov 2012 02:19

I think Pokemon will be the final nail in the Vitas coffin. I'm really surprised they wasted the time making Black/White 2 for the original DS for this very reason.

I actually want a PSP because theres maybe 4 or 5 games I want for it but it's still really expensive for just the few games I want to try. It's still like $130 new, used it's usually at least $80. I see them at rummage sales (where I generally get my older gaming stuff) regularly for over $100, which is ridiculous considering most things I get at rummage sales are dirt cheap. Plus, I'm a little worried about buying a used one since it has moving parts that can easily break or get worn out with the little disk games.

I honestly haven't seen a single thing to make me want a Vita, even a little, yet.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby Zug Zug » 16 Nov 2012 13:48

The thing that killed this thing in Japan was Monster Hunter jumping ship. The PSP did fine at first in Japan, then it started to slump, and out of nowhere MH came and gave it a lifeline. Vita in Japan is good for niche titles like Ys and whatever Nippon Ichi makes. Everything else is on 3DS. It's just a matter of time before companies loyal to Sony like Nihon Falcom jump to 3DS or iOS.
Also, poor software sales both in Japan and worldwide send a signal to developers that Vita is toxic. This thing is as good as dead. If I owned one I'd sell it quick while it's still worth something.
Zug Zug
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby TheLastBlade » 16 Nov 2012 19:20

This just in: PS Vita is losing to the 3DS; 47 to 1. Guess who are the people to defend the vita's sales and price?
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Jerome » 16 Nov 2012 23:52

Man, I didn't know things were this bad for the Vita. It's a good piece of hardware (except for a few annoying* things including inexplicably slow load times). The price is a bit high including memory cards, but Sony doesn't need to slash the system's price, they just need to bundle things with the system. The big issue seems to be software, but how can they fix that? What kind of games does Vita need that it's not getting? Is it that there are so many ports or near-ports? Could it be that development of triple-A games for the system is so costly that it's hard to justify making unique titles, and smaller downloadable games aren't a big draw on a hardcore-focused system?

(*Sheesh, I didn't know the profanity filter on this site was so touchy. I originally used a word beginning with "ni" and ending with "ggling" which means annoying and bothersome, and the system acted as though I'd used that other "n" word. o_O)
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby bobafruit » 17 Nov 2012 09:01

I'm really amazed that SONY is advertising the Vita Call of Duty. It's such a bad game, and that's not what the Vita deserves.

I don't want the Vita to do horribly, it's a lovely piece of hardware. But the biggest problem is that Nintendo owns the market in Japan. They had money to spend over the last few years and shelled out for big Japanese franchises. Sony hasn't had much cash to throw around, and they must think they need more western support, and have spent for those things.
I think that Sony has also run hard into demographic problems since the young male population has lotsa iOS or Android devices.

A 46 to 1 sales ratio is the fruit of the differing strategies and advantages... I don't know how one would try to sell the Vita, and neither does Sony.
bobafruit
Octorok
Octorok

Postby bobafruit » 17 Nov 2012 09:15

Jerome wrote:Man, I didn't know things were this bad for the Vita. It's a good piece of hardware (except for a few annoying* things including inexplicably slow load times). The price is a bit high including memory cards, but Sony doesn't need to slash the system's price, they just need to bundle things with the system. The big issue seems to be software, but how can they fix that? What kind of games does Vita need that it's not getting? Is it that there are so many ports or near-ports? Could it be that development of triple-A games for the system is so costly that it's hard to justify making unique titles, and smaller downloadable games aren't a big draw on a hardcore-focused system?

Turns out the back touch was a bad idea too... I guess a "kitchen sink" approach wasn't the best. I thought it was a kinda awesome idea.

I think it's repeating similar patterns to the PSP. Sony seems to be focusing on hardcore western console franchises, they did that with GTA, Fight Night, Twisted Metal and others on the PSP. That strategy is of course failing the Vita in Japan.

I think they should cut the price and bundle a memory card. I bought a PSP last year, but was so disappointed at not having a memory card that I took it back.
bobafruit
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Jerome » 17 Nov 2012 12:41

bobafruit wrote:Turns out the back touch was a bad idea too... I guess a "kitchen sink" approach wasn't the best. I thought it was a kinda awesome idea.

Well, I don't personally think it was a real worthwhile investment for Sony. It means you have to hold the system by just a couple tiny grips on the sides (which isn't very comfortable), it's a bit awkward to use and not conducive to precision control (the "pinch" gestures some games use are especially awkward to perform), and the system being designed around 2 overlapping touch surfaces means we're not likely to get any folding or sliding Vita revisions, which could be much more pocketable. I guess on the bright side, though, having a touch surface to tap on the back can function as makeshift L2 and R2 buttons, which comes in handy for Remote Play with PS3 games.

bobafruit wrote:I think it's repeating similar patterns to the PSP. Sony seems to be focusing on hardcore western console franchises, they did that with GTA, Fight Night, Twisted Metal and others on the PSP. That strategy is of course failing the Vita in Japan.

That makes sense, though it's having a harder time than PSP did, so there must be more factors at work, or at least the same factors functioning to a greater extent.

bobafruit wrote:I think they should cut the price and bundle a memory card.

I don't really think they need to lower the price much. I think $250 wouldn't be a bad price if a memory card and game are included. It does seem pretty pathetic in this day and age to charge a good chunk extra just for a few gigabytes of memory. Shoot, they should just build a couple gigabytes in, it would hardly cost anything and work for basic game saves. If people want more they'll buy a card, but don't make it a mandatory expense to use the thing.

bobafruit wrote:I bought a PSP last year, but was so disappointed at not having a memory card that I took it back.

Wow. Sure you weren't overacting there a bit? I bought one last year as well, and got a 1GB memory card for a few bucks online. I did end up reselling the system about 6 months later, but that was because I came up with a list of over a dozen games I thought I'd like, and after playing them ended up only finding a couple I was interested in keeping. I still think PSP is an impressive piece of hardware, but I haven't found much exclusive software I'm interested in so far, and I don't care much for inferior PS2 ports with no second analog stick.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby bobafruit » 17 Nov 2012 13:48

Jerome wrote:That makes sense, though it's having a harder time than PSP did, so there must be more factors at work, or at least the same factors functioning to a greater extent.

Yeah, I think the other factors have been amply discussed. The PSP could play video and MP3s and that was pretty cool in 2005, in 2012 nobody needs that because their phone can do that.
There is more competition and the economy isn't great, so without the unique titles to differentiate the Vita there isn't much call to pay $250 for a system to play games like those on your phone or your xbox. Nintendo on the other hand has Nintendo franchises, and they had a unique (if not spectacularly useful) 3D gimmick.

Jerome wrote:
bobafruit wrote:I bought a PSP last year, but was so disappointed at not having a memory card that I took it back.

Wow. Sure you weren't overacting there a bit? I bought one last year as well, and got a 1GB memory card for a few bucks online.

Lol, I wasn't really over-reacting. I was feeling a bit of buyer's remorse when I got home, and when I took it out of the box and realized I'd need to go back to Best Buy to buy a memory stick just to start messing with it... Well it was a good enough excuse to keep that money in the bank.
bobafruit
Octorok
Octorok

Postby kntstar » 19 Nov 2012 22:48

Can't beat Nintendo when it comes to handhelds. Not in '89, not today
kntstar
Fairy
Fairy

3DS: 1177-6477-5876

Next

Return to 3DS / DS