Best settings for HDTV when playing in 720p?

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Best settings for HDTV when playing in 720p?

Postby Eternal Rain » 26 Nov 2012 23:48

Today I finally got an HDTV, it's a Vizio 24 inch TV that goes up to 720p max (best budget TV I could find at the moment, please avoid comments like "blah blah blah, well you could have gotten _____ for$____"). The system and games look great in HD, but I have noticed something when playing games like New Super Mario Bros. U where the picture on the TV and GamePad are the same thing: the game doesn't look as "bright" on the TV as it does on the gamepad. To elaborate, I notice that the "whites" on my gamepad seem brighter somehow, while the whites on my TV seem to be a little more subdued and have the slightest blue-ish tint to them. I have the picture set to the "game" setting (I should note that altering brightness doesn't really seem to balance things out). Does anyone have any tips where I can maybe make the pictures match up precisely, or is the TV fine as is and it's just the gamepad that's "off"? I've never owned an HDTV before so excuse my noobish behavior.
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Re: Best settings for HDTV when playing in 720p?

Postby cortjezter » 27 Nov 2012 01:23

i doubt anyone is going to do an exhaustive research of your tv's specs and compare them with the known screen component specs of the wii u pad, but HD doesn't have much to do with this phenomenon. it all comes down to the tech in the screen and the software driving it; and it's been a battle (especially for designers and other industries with color-sensitive duties) for decades.

i don't know what type of display your tv uses, but if it's LCD like the pad's screen, you might be able to get the two close, assuming your tv has some proper controls to fine tune things, and that the LCD specs are roughly equivalent. it sounds like the biggest trouble is the target white points/temps, and that's often difficult to match without professional tools.

if it's really that important; you would do well to get a pro service (ie geek squad) to do a calibration..often they have tools to match color and access otherwise unavailable diagnostics menus. or at the very least, get someone sensitive to color (like a designer) to tinker with the settings with the screens side by side.
cortjezter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam ID: cortjezter
Wii: 4659 4316 9119 3027
PSN: cortjezter
XBL: cortjezter

Postby Eternal Rain » 27 Nov 2012 01:55

Guess I probably was a bit too quick to make this topic, as I have now found the temperature controls on my TV to help adjust my white levels, and I managed to find a level where things are close enough to where it feels less dissonant.

Good thing too, that dissonance was a real distraction in Nintendo Land especially (image a DS where each screen is tinted differently, as in the screen itself is just like that and it's not the game doing it, it kinda throws off the symmetry [and yet ironically one of the main deals with this system is how asymmetrical it can be :P ]).
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Postby bomblord » 27 Nov 2012 03:07

The wiiU's gamepad has a surprisingly good contrast ratio and very accurate color reproduction for what it is. A lot of lower end TV's can't match it.
bomblord
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby linkgx1 » 27 Nov 2012 13:54

Eh...ironically enough it's the TV you got. I have a Panasonic ST50 and it's 10x better than the gamepad (gotta love plasmas). However, I sometimes use my sister's TV (a Vizio) and the colors are dramatically worse. Trying getting a calibration disc or search for your tv on the AVS forum. Or return the TV and try to find something possibly better at the price range. You might go down in inches though...
linkgx1
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Linkgx1
PSN: Linkgx1
XBL: Linkgx1

Postby linkgx1 » 27 Nov 2012 13:56

Eternal Rain wrote:Guess I probably was a bit too quick to make this topic, as I have now found the temperature controls on my TV to help adjust my white levels, and I managed to find a level where things are close enough to where it feels less dissonant.

Good thing too, that dissonance was a real distraction in Nintendo Land especially (image a DS where each screen is tinted differently, as in the screen itself is just like that and it's not the game doing it, it kinda throws off the symmetry [and yet ironically one of the main deals with this system is how asymmetrical it can be :P ]).

I agree. It's especially bad when your TV is much better than the gamepad. But maybe this is the main design of what Nintendo wants. It's just there for information.
linkgx1
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Linkgx1
PSN: Linkgx1
XBL: Linkgx1

Postby Autosaver » 27 Nov 2012 14:24

I have 42 inch Plasma in my room. I noticed that the TV screen looked different than the Gamepad. Sure my TV was in HD, but the contrast and colors looked beautiful on the Gamepad.

I noticed that the "VIVID" screen setting makes the colors on the TV pop out waaay too much. I had to change it back to standard. But I guess the GamePad just has one awesome quality screen. It was meant to be used with gaming so I bet it could be tooled around to optimize gaming sessions.
Autosaver
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Autosaver

Return to WiiU / Wii