Emily Rogers: Gaming Journalism vs Nintendo

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: Emily Rogers: Gaming Journalism vs Nintendo

Postby Cassidy » 17 Dec 2012 13:18

Emily Rogers wrote:Last I checked, GoNintendo has a PM system and people can ask me any questions they want. I am also regularly in the IRC chat to answer questions. Instead of being a keyboard warrior, I would suggest doing the non-cowardly thing and contacting me if I really, really bother you that much.

Do you know why rumors are made? For attention. If you really want people to believe that you have inside sources, then you should prove that, instead of making ridiculous excuses like "you don't understand me," like a over-dramatic emo kid. How about this? I want you find every "rumor" that you made (not just on GoNintendo) and post them here, so we can check how many you got right. Unless you have a better way of defending your legitimacy?
Cassidy
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: KingCassidy
3DS: 4854-6597-5917
Steam ID: Morbid Safety
XBL: ThisIsACassidy

Postby Poopaloop » 17 Dec 2012 14:00

I refuse to comment on matters such as this, but I have to say I'm surprised at some people in here. I've always been proud that GoNintendo is friendly and civil, but this is pretty much calling someone out for the sake of it.

If you have an issue with the rumours RMC posts from Emily, downvote the stories. Comment about why you feel they're innacurate or what you think is more likely than what Emily suggests. Don't start this witch-hunt and vilify someone just because you don't like the way she does things, because to say a lot of you claim how she lacks credibility and you don't take her seriously, you sure are getting riled up about this. Seems like you do take her pretty seriously after all; maybe too much so.
A stupid drawing every day or your money back! Follow me on Twitter Facebook!
Poopaloop
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RType88
3DS: 1118-0334-6460
PSN: rhughes88

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 17 Dec 2012 14:51

I apologize if my statements were made bluntly or rudely. I maybe could have worded things better, but my opinion on the situation is the same.

I can only see this thread getting more hostile now that Emily has posted. I agree with mariomaniac about this needing to get closed.
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Postby CM30 » 17 Dec 2012 15:08

I don't think Dual Pixels or ZeldaInformer get attacked for getting things wrong as much as you rip me apart.

You're joking right? Zelda Informer get slammed for every rumour and speculation story they post, at least in their own comments. Maybe it's less visible here because the staff there don't tend to be active on GoNintendo like you are.

Same with Dual Pixels, I've seen quite a lot of criticism of their tendency to make stuff up and post rumours based on non existant insider sources.

If you ever, every try and predict the future or post rumours, people won't respond well to it. Heck, you post you were right about something when you predicted it about two months ago and people will still not respond well to it.

I don't villify anyone. Also, being trusted by a website isn't always the greatest evidence of yourself being a trusted source or right.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 17 Dec 2012 16:23

mariomaniac45213 wrote:ROFL! I think this thread should closed and locked. I can see where you guys are coming from and where Emily is coming from. Some of you are being pretty harsh to her but yet a lot of you guy's points or valid as well. But this is nothing more than a glorified user-flaming thread. That's like someone making a whole thread about a gonintendo user/reader talking about how their opinions are invalid and don't matter. If I was a mod I would've locked this thread AND banned the OP. This thread is just mean and uncalled for and i'm contacting a mod right now to request it to be locked/closed.

Huh? Why should Autosave be banned? The validity of the thread and whether it should be locked or not is obviously up to the mods so I won't comment on that, but banning him/her is going way too far.

Did you read the initial post? Basically all he/she did was post the entire debacle as it was described on GAF. There was no flames thrown in on Emily, no flame baiting towards the readers, nothing. Anyone who unruly flamed Emily did it on their own without any temptations from the OP. We can civilly discuss this debacle, so anyone that becomes unruly shouldn't be the OP's responsibility.

GoNintendo covered Emily's original article and once that blew up and fell apart I'm fairly certain nothing was reported on the fall out (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to spread any fallacies) while we certainly don't need drama, if something was wrongly reported or misunderstood/blown out of proportion then THAT should at least be reported on, since it wasn't I see nothing wrong with taking it to the forums for discussion.

So, yeah it may be best to lock the thread, but I see no grounds for autosaver to be punished (but I'm no Mod, so it's not up to me. . .or you for that matter).
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Postby Emily Rogers » 17 Dec 2012 16:38

Nobody should be banned in this thread, and people here have valid reasons to be upset at me.

Look, I made it clear that I'm done with writing back in December 5th. I apologized for how the situation unfolded, and took the opportunity to leave gaming journalism to do more interesting things: http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/12 ... -new-game/

No articles. No features. No rumors (not even on my Twitter)

Right now I'm busy working with indie developers on their projects.

One of the indies I've been working with: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=192978

I felt that working with indies while also writing about games was a conflict of interest, so I made the decision to get out so situations like the AckkStudios situation mentioned in this thread never happen again. If I can't do good things for the industry as a writer, then maybe I can try to help in other ways that have no connection to writing.
Emily Rogers
Flicky
Flicky

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 17 Dec 2012 16:52

Emily Rogers wrote:I felt that working with indies while also writing about games was a conflict of interest, so I made the decision to get out so situations like the AckkStudios situation mentioned in this thread never happen again. If I can't do good things for the industry as a writer, then maybe I can try to help in other ways that have no connection to writing.

Perfect soution! Cut, print, that's a wrap! :lol: Lock the thread now, please!
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 17 Dec 2012 17:06

Emily Rogers wrote:Nobody should be banned in this thread, and people here have valid reasons to be upset at me.

Look, I made it clear that I'm done with writing back in December 5th. I apologized for how the situation unfolded, and took the opportunity to leave gaming journalism to do more interesting things: http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/12 ... -new-game/

No articles. No features. No rumors (not even on my Twitter)

Right now I'm busy working with indie developers on their projects.

One of the indies I've been working with: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=192978

I felt that working with indies while also writing about games was a conflict of interest, so I made the decision to get out so situations like the article mentioned in this thread never happen again. If I can't do good things for the industry as a writer, then maybe I can try to help in other ways that have no connection to writing.

Hey Emily, thanks for posting your last article, I missed it when it was first posted and I really respect what you said in the first paragraph (and what you have to say here).

I obviously have/had strong opinions on the situation that happened last month and a few other articles, but I never became a person that would jump on any article posted on GN with your name on it just to flame you or say negative things so it's not like I'm going to automatically write off anything I see that you're involved in.

I think this new career path you're taking on will be more satisfying and I hope you enjoy it! Video gaming is a huge part of my life and one of my favorite hobbies so anyone who can make it better, especially for indies, has my support.

And heck, if you ever feel like returning to journalism, more power to you. EVERYONE makes mistakes, and the only things we can do is move on (which if your article is any indication you have) and learn from your experiences, good or bad.

I know as far as everything goes I'm a nobody, a mere random commenter on GoNintendo's forum and website, but since I expressed such blunt and strong opinions I felt it was my obligation to at least explain myself further and offer a little more insight.

Again, thank you for sharing that article, the interview itself will be a nice read and I'm glad you offered some closure to the situation. I hope as a gaming community we can put all of these past experiences behind us and move on to something better!
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Postby thresholdXCI » 17 Dec 2012 17:09

I think this is as good a time as any to wrap this thread up. A few people seem to have expressed concerns about it getting out of hand.

If anyone has any good reason to re-open this thread, feel free to contact myself or any other mod. I don't see where any interesting discussion can go from here though. So in the interest of stemming any unnecessary hostility I'm locking it.
thresholdXCI
Site Mod
Site Mod

Wii: 4073 2409 9869 0324
PSN: jw_XCI

Previous

Return to WiiU / Wii