Wii on Wii U Question

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Wii on Wii U Question

Postby lazerbyte » 03 Dec 2012 10:12

This may be a stupid question but I am wanting to know if you want to play Wii games say for example Super Smash Brothers do you have to have a Wiimote and the classic controller?

Can you play with the Wii U pad?

I have searched the forums here and didn't find anything and tried to google it and all I get is stuff about the Wii U smash brothers.

Thanks so much.
lazerbyte
Chocobo
Chocobo

PSN: Lazerbyte

Re: Wii on Wii U Question

Postby Dmolisher » 03 Dec 2012 10:28

Just like the Wii and it's GameCube mode the Wii mode in Wii U basically just switches your Wii U into a Wii. Gamepad deactivated and you're going o need a wiimote paired so yes if you prefer the classic controller that's what you're going to have to use to play.
Dmolisher
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby monkeyCmonkeyDo » 03 Dec 2012 11:54

How about the new pro controller? Does anyone know if this is compatible in Wii mode?
monkeyCmonkeyDo
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: monkeyCmonkeyDo
PSN: munkeyCmunkeyDo
XBL: monkeyCmonkeyDo

Postby YoshiRider123 » 03 Dec 2012 12:02

monkeyCmonkeyDo wrote:How about the new pro controller? Does anyone know if this is compatible in Wii mode?

Not compatible. You can only use Wii peripherals in Wii Mode.
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Postby lazerbyte » 04 Dec 2012 08:58

I think Nintendo could of come up with a way to allow the pad to be used with Wii games now they force people who never had a Wii to go out and buy new controllers just to play Wii games.

So if you want a Wii game then you have to buy the game then you have to get a Wiimote and possibly a nunchuck as well so you could spend over $100 just to do that!

Good job Nintendo!!
lazerbyte
Chocobo
Chocobo

PSN: Lazerbyte

Postby Popple » 04 Dec 2012 10:17

lazerbyte wrote:I think Nintendo could of come up with a way to allow the pad to be used with Wii games now they force people who never had a Wii to go out and buy new controllers just to play Wii games.

So if you want a Wii game then you have to buy the game then you have to get a Wiimote and possibly a nunchuck as well so you could spend over $100 just to do that!

Good job Nintendo!!

You want to play Skyward Sword with the Gamepad? Good luck holding on to it when you're swinging your sword.

I think the overwhelming majority of Wii U owners are going to be prior Wii owners and thus have Wiimotes and accessories already. And, in the few cases that new Wii U owners don't have/didn't have a Wii, I think the overwhelming majority of them won't even care that the Wii U can play Wii games. If they cared about Wii that much, they would have purchased a Wii by this point.

The fact that the Wii U supports Wii game is more to help us, Wii owners, make the transition to the Wii U without having to keep 2 systems around. It's not necessarily there to get brand new Nintendo/Wii U owners invested in the Wii (which is essentially a legacy system now to Nintendo).
This post copyright ©2014 by Popple. All rights reserved. No part of this post may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the copyright owner. This post is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events was done on purpose.
Popple
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Popple
3DS: 5069-4025-8184

Postby J0RdAnN » 04 Dec 2012 10:21

Popple wrote:(The Wii is essentially a legacy system now to Nintendo).

God that's weird to think about.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Toad
Toad

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby Carbondog » 04 Dec 2012 10:36

It would be nice to play games like Xenoblade and The Last Story on the gamepad by itself. Couldn't they develop a program that would allow gamepad play for Wii games? Is there not a sensor bar around the camera of the gamepad for Wii remote play? I honestly hope that Wii Mode is a temporary solution for those that only want one system in the house. Also why are there no VC titles on the eShop? It would also be nice to have all WiiWare and VC available on the WiiU home instead of first going into Wii mode, then waiting, then going into SD card, then waiting, then open the game, then wait some more for it to load. But these are my only complaints on a excellent console.
Carbondog
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Carbondog
3DS: 3179-6063-7018
Wii: 6339-9624-3474-8158
PSN: Nintenpx
XBL: DeftCarbondog

Postby Autosaver » 04 Dec 2012 18:29

Again with the Skyward Sword comment - The GamePad won't work.
Autosaver
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: Autosaver

Return to WiiU / Wii