Shady Characters of Miiverse

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Shady Characters of Miiverse

Postby SigmaBen » 13 Dec 2012 18:17

Hallo fellow GN users. I hope you're all enjoying the awesomeness that is the Wii U. My GF hardly ever lets me on the Wii U when she's here. She's always stealing it to browse, play NintendoLand etc. But more to the point she loves Miiverse and all the hand drawn art. She quickly made lots of friends and one in particular named "Gavin" added her on Miiverse. He messaged her a lot and while still seeming like a genuine nintendo fan he did seem a bit creepy.

Now from just googling her NNID he's managed to find her on facebook and youtube accounts. He's been messaging her on facebook explaining how he thinks she's beautiful and she has a perfect nose and other general weirdness. We're taking it a bit jokingly but at the same time we think it's creepy as fuuuuu- and I never pinned hardcore nintendo fans would actually also encompass some shadier folk. She hasn't stopped messaging him and we're waiting for him to ask to meet up before cutting contact.

Anywho, have any of you guys encountered any disturbing individuals on your Miiverse Travels?
Last edited by SigmaBen on 13 Dec 2012 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
http://sigmanine.net is my website :)
SigmaBen
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: SigmaBen

Re: Miiverse Paedophiles

Postby the_nintendo_screw » 13 Dec 2012 18:33

It would probably be wise to end all contact with this guy before it escalates. Shady folks can be anywhere online.

SigmaBen wrote:She hasn't stopped messaging him and we're waiting for him to ask to meet up before cutting contact.

If common sense tells you to stop talking to someone on the Miiverse who is making you feel uncomfortable, end it now. Honestly, I don't know why she would still be messaging him.
MasterofMonsters is super awesome! I lost a bet. Hehe!
the_nintendo_screw
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: BRabbitofInle
3DS: 2062 9226 9407
Wii: 0688 2898 9694 3464

Postby SigmaBen » 13 Dec 2012 18:41

the_nintendo_screw wrote:It would probably be wise to end all contact with this guy before it escalates. Shady folks can be anywhere online.

SigmaBen wrote:She hasn't stopped messaging him and we're waiting for him to ask to meet up before cutting contact.

If common sense tells you to stop talking to someone on the Miiverse who is making you feel uncomfortable, end it now. Honestly, I don't know why she would still be messaging him.

It's not really that uncomfortable, and were not trying to take it too seriously. But I think I'll take your advice there and tell her to stop. Think she just wants people to message on Miiverse but absolutely noone here has a Wii U besides me. On a further note, his opening line was actually "Your mii is cute lol x".

See the thing is I'd have said report him... but then I worry since it's my Wii U, I don't want the console to be blocked for breaking Miiverse Code Of Conduct because she continued to message him. She didn't give out her facebook details. He managed to find her through google.
SigmaBen
Goomba
Goomba

Postby cortjezter » 13 Dec 2012 18:56

so your gf is underage? and you're not? that would make you the paedophile, no? :-P

let's be careful about using alarmist language if there's no evidence of "paedophilia".
cortjezter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam ID: cortjezter
Wii: 4659 4316 9119 3027
PSN: cortjezter
XBL: cortjezter

Re: D:

Postby SigmaBen » 13 Dec 2012 18:59

cortjezter wrote:so your gf is underage? and you're not? that would make you the paedophile, no? :-P

let's be careful about using alarmist language if there's no evidence of "paedophilia".

She's not underage? O-o
I see what you mean :L Sorry, I'll see if I can ammend. :P

EDIT:

My apologies.
SigmaBen
Goomba
Goomba

Postby the_nintendo_screw » 13 Dec 2012 19:01

SigmaBen wrote: She didn't give out her facebook details. He managed to find her through google.

Yeah, that's what I found to be worrisome.That's why I just thought it would be best to urge you two to end contact with the guy now, especially since he looked up information about her without asking her if it would be ok to have contact outside the Miiverse. At best he's just a lonely guy, at worst he's a pedophile.

If your girlfriend is looking for people to talk to on the Miiverse, perhaps you should ask around at Gonintendo. I don't have a Wii U yet, but I've found a lot of nice and respectful people here that I've friended on my 3DS. Just a thought anyways. ;)
MasterofMonsters is super awesome! I lost a bet. Hehe!
the_nintendo_screw
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: BRabbitofInle
3DS: 2062 9226 9407
Wii: 0688 2898 9694 3464

Re: Shady Characters of Miiverse

Postby GiriOni » 13 Dec 2012 19:05

I would also agree to get your gf to stop messaging him, if he happens to be as creepy as you think, continuing to message him may increase his interest, which might evolve to a point where he won't let go and would do some drastic actions to make her not let go of him.

Ever heard of the term Yandere? Yeah it might evolve into that.
Favorite all time Anime: To Aru Majutsu no Index
Runner-up: Bakemonogatari
GiriOni
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GiriOni

Postby SigmaBen » 13 Dec 2012 19:11

the_nintendo_screw wrote:
SigmaBen wrote: She didn't give out her facebook details. He managed to find her through google.

Yeah, that's what I found to be worrisome.That's why I just thought it would be best to urge you two to end contact with the guy now, especially since he looked up information about her without asking her if it would be ok to have contact outside the Miiverse. At best he's just a lonely guy, at worst he's a pedophile.

If your girlfriend is looking for people to talk to on the Miiverse, perhaps you should ask around at Gonintendo. I don't have a Wii U yet, but I've found a lot of nice and respectful people here that I've friended on my 3DS. Just a thought anyways. ;)

Exactly what I was thinking. I'll try and urge her not to speak to him but I dunno how effective I'll be D: As I said though I would report the guy I just worry about a console ban :( It's a lot of money to just throw away half of the systems features.

Not particularly sure how to respond to your second comment haha. I'm not terribly good at making friends not because I'm a nasty guy but I don't like asking around >_< I'm pretty sure my girlfriend is the same sort of shy. Both me and her get talking but we're not conversation startes if you understand my meaning :P
SigmaBen
Goomba
Goomba

Postby KingBroly » 13 Dec 2012 19:20

I've found another shady character on Miiverse. He goes by the name of KingBroly and I honestly do not think he is either a King or Broly. Not only that, he seems to make very negative comments about the games he plays.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
Sakamoto Lied. Samus Died.
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby Poopaloop » 14 Dec 2012 04:13

Yeah, this seems a little suspect. I wouldn't recommend continuing to talk with this guy, just in case it is something sinister. It may be someone genuinely just not knowing they're over-stepping the mark, but I don't think that's a risk worth taking.

As an aside, I'll add you, dude! Really, people here are very nice and really eager to add to their friend lists, so I'm sure lots of people will be happy to add both you and your girlfriend!
A stupid drawing every day or your money back! Follow me on Twitter Facebook!
Poopaloop
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RType88
3DS: 1118-0334-6460
PSN: rhughes88

Postby Koopzilla » 14 Dec 2012 05:01

Yeah, man I would cut off contact with him right now. Stalking her on YouTube and Facebook is kind of crossing the line. I've actually been in a similar situation in real life, and it only gets worse and harder to get rid of the longer you let it go on.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby Hamr » 14 Dec 2012 05:07

clearly nintendo was right about friendcodes all along
Hamr
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby ddddd » 14 Dec 2012 05:50

Why would Nintendo block your console for reporting the dude? Just say your girlfriend doesnt understand the internet or something :?
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby Blazing Warwolf » 14 Dec 2012 08:26

Hamr wrote:clearly nintendo was right about friendcodes all along

Lol. :lol:
But seriously, I would tell both her AND the guy to stop the conversation! You never know what could possibly happen in the future if you let this go on. As her boyfriend, you should protect her & keep her safe/away from creepy d00ds.
Blazing Warwolf
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Mario6400
3DS: 4811-6949-4441

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 14 Dec 2012 08:27

ddddd wrote:Why would Nintendo block your console for reporting the dude?

I was wondering this the whole time reading all of this.

Banned for wrongfully reporting someone if they claim they were being innocent the whole time…?

:? :?:
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby Popple » 14 Dec 2012 09:29

You don't have to report someone on Miiverse, I don't think. You can just add them to your block list.
This post copyright ©2014 by Popple. All rights reserved. No part of this post may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the copyright owner. This post is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events was done on purpose.
Popple
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Popple
3DS: 5069-4025-8184

Postby Kam » 14 Dec 2012 10:46

How did he find her with just a NNID? Does she have her name in her ID or profile somewhere? if so she should remove it because there are many creepy guys online who act weird as some as they see a girl gamer. I've had friends on xbox for years who cannot find me and they know personal things about me, somewhere along the line to much info was given out by your girlfriend.
Kam
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: G4NONDORF
3DS: 4854 6421 0209
XBL: G4NONDORF

Postby Spanky » 14 Dec 2012 11:47

Kam wrote:How did he find her with just a NNID? Does she have her name in her ID or profile somewhere? if so she should remove it because there are many creepy guys online who act weird as some as they see a girl gamer. I've had friends on xbox for years who cannot find me and they know personal things about me, somewhere along the line to much info was given out by your girlfriend.

It's possible that she used the same ID for NNID that she uses for other social networks. The OP uses the same ID he used here for his Twitter Feed. A quick google search for that would probably come up with a bunch of other sites he is on.

Regardless - Put the creep on your block list and stop communicating with them.
Spanky
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: OXSpanky
PSN: OXSpanky

Postby bomblord » 16 Dec 2012 18:01

Very casually just stop contacting him, and don't let your girlfriend keep doing it out of sympathy cyber stalking is a very serious thing and you need to maker her aware of it but please do it casually and just cut ties with him if you alarm him and he does intend to something besides be creepy then it could cause him to act. He might just be a lonely guy who was floored by the fact a "real girl" was talking to him so he went out of his way to drum up a real friendship, but cyberstalking is still a very serious thing and could turn into something way worse if proper steps are not taken, you may want to look up who you can contact authority wise in your area if this escalates in any form.
bomblord
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby ddddd » 16 Dec 2012 18:51

Another thing, if he was able to message her through FB and YT its because she let him, does she gives access to her social network profile to anyone?
I know its not unusual to have tons of random friends on facebook or youtube, but I would rise an eyebrow if someone found my FB profile and tried to befriend me without my knowledge.
If she is really carefree about who contacts her over the net, there might be more "gavins" in the future.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby Jack_Atlas » 17 Dec 2012 03:14

KingBroly wrote:I've found another shady character on Miiverse. He goes by the name of KingBroly and I honestly do not think he is either a King or Broly. Not only that, he seems to make very negative comments about the games he plays.

So what would happen if he got a friend request?

ddddd wrote:Another thing, if he was able to message her through FB and YT its because she let him, does she gives access to her social network profile to anyone?
I know its not unusual to have tons of random friends on facebook or youtube, but I would rise an eyebrow if someone found my FB profile and tried to befriend me without my knowledge.
If she is really carefree about who contacts her over the net, there might be more "gavins" in the future.

She has to be allowing the messages on Facebook. Depending on privacy settings you can send or receive messages to people that's not on your friends list. Me and a couple of people who sell Yu-Gi-Oh! cards get most of our deals and sells that way.

Youtube from my understanding is a completely different story though.
Jack_Atlas
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: MMXZero
3DS: 1805-2179-8194

Return to WiiU / Wii