WiiU momentum

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: WiiU momentum

Postby TopCat » 26 Dec 2012 14:57

komicturtle92 wrote:
gtt wrote:
TopCat wrote:They have to do something about the Wii U momentum in the UK, because it's nonexistent... It's Christmas and the system is barely selling.

I don't expect this to get better until there is a real killer app. beyond hardcore nintendo fans, the average gamer isn't going to buy a 360 with a weird controller.

I think this really shows your ignorance. Calling Wii U a 360? I want to hear a good explanation how that works considering the tech behind the Wii U and how far modern it is than the outdated 2004 processing unit within the 360- if you want to get technical.

Show me a single Wii U game or app that looks (considerably) better than anything that's already available on the other HD consoles, please! Show me something to convince me that the Wii U is more than a glorified 360 with a tablet controller.
TopCat
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 26 Dec 2012 15:50

You want him to show you a game now? Why not wait a couple of years unless you think ports are a good example to show what the system is truly capable of. :roll:

Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby gtt » 26 Dec 2012 16:17

komicturtle92 wrote:
gtt wrote:
TopCat wrote:They have to do something about the Wii U momentum in the UK, because it's nonexistent... It's Christmas and the system is barely selling.

I don't expect this to get better until there is a real killer app. beyond hardcore nintendo fans, the average gamer isn't going to buy a 360 with a weird controller.

I think this really shows your ignorance. Calling Wii U a 360? I want to hear a good explanation how that works considering the tech behind the Wii U and how far modern it is than the outdated 2004 processing unit within the 360- if you want to get technical.

look at it from the perspective of a random person buying a video game console. now, minus the nintendo games. what are you left with?
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby TopCat » 26 Dec 2012 20:02

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:You want him to show you a game now? Why not wait a couple of years unless you think ports are a good example to show what the system is truly capable of. :roll:

When MS and Sony announced the 360 and the PS3 they made sure to show the power of their consoles and how much better they were than their predecessors. What did Nintendo do? Showed a Zelda demo and the bird demo which is based on the UE3 - an engine that the 360 and the PS3 have been running and using for the past 5 years.

And yes, it's not all about graphics, BUT I want to see what's there besides the Nintendo exclusives... Don't wanna have to buy another console just for the 3rd party games, sorry.
TopCat
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby Jack_Atlas » 27 Dec 2012 10:14

gtt wrote:
komicturtle92 wrote:
gtt wrote:I don't expect this to get better until there is a real killer app. beyond hardcore nintendo fans, the average gamer isn't going to buy a 360 with a weird controller.

look at it from the perspective of a random person buying a video game console. now, minus the nintendo games. what are you left with?

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge, a better Batman experience if your a major comic book nerd, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Bayonetta 2 and I may be missing something.
Jack_Atlas
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: MMXZero
3DS: 1805-2179-8194

Postby ddddd » 27 Dec 2012 18:55

Jack_Atlas wrote:
gtt wrote:look at it from the perspective of a random person buying a video game console. now, minus the nintendo games. what are you left with?

Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge, a better Batman experience if your a major comic book nerd, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Bayonetta 2 and I may be missing something.

Those games arent exactly system sellers in the west or even known by casuals. Monster Hunter is a strong one, but its not going to make mainstreams rush to buy WiiUs en masse.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby Jack_Atlas » 28 Dec 2012 09:44

ddddd wrote:
Jack_Atlas wrote:
gtt wrote:look at it from the perspective of a random person buying a video game console. now, minus the nintendo games. what are you left with?

Those games arent exactly system sellers in the west or even known by casuals. Monster Hunter is a strong one, but its not going to make mainstreams rush to buy WiiUs en masse.

From his comment I don't see how he meant casuals specifically. And again it depends on the person's taste. You can have the super comic book nerd/geek that always wanted to play a Batman with the feeling of actually being Batman (only reason I bought Armored Edition.) You'll also have people buying Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge because of the improvements made over the original and apparently the Kasumi DLC.

And if gtt is limiting his argument to just casuals, your probably missing the point that 360 and PS3 owners are waiting for games like Monster Hunter and Bayonetta 2 to come out for the system. The only people who won't buy a Wii U are the people still begging for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 and Bayonetta 2's PS3 and 360 release.
Jack_Atlas
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: MMXZero
3DS: 1805-2179-8194

Postby Berrix » 28 Dec 2012 12:40

ddddd wrote:
Jack_Atlas wrote:

Most "system sellers" to the eyes of what you'd consider the mainstream gamer who's buy a Wii U would always tend to be a multi-platform game regardless. Black Ops can be considered a system seller, same with Darksiders to a lesser extent, and the list goes on backwards. Essentially stating nothing will be enticing enough to buy a Wii U for cause they'd already have it on the other two, if we're literally removing Nintendo-ran contents from the equation like originally stated. Only thing Nintendo can probably do is shut out their development and pay out third parties to make exclusives that'd sell only on Wii U. Then in turn we'd have people who would buy the system cause no F-Zero or Star Fox.

And if Nintendo were to make a more powerful (visually noticeable) system, it would alienate themselves on the other end of the spectrum of the third parties. Why make a super strong game on one system when you can still make it on two with a substantial install base?
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby ddddd » 28 Dec 2012 18:31

Jack_Atlas wrote:From his comment I don't see how he meant casuals specifically. And again it depends on the person's taste. You can have the super comic book nerd/geek that always wanted to play a Batman with the feeling of actually being Batman (only reason I bought Armored Edition.) You'll also have people buying Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge because of the improvements made over the original and apparently the Kasumi DLC.

And if gtt is limiting his argument to just casuals, your probably missing the point that 360 and PS3 owners are waiting for games like Monster Hunter and Bayonetta 2 to come out for the system. The only people who won't buy a Wii U are the people still begging for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 and Bayonetta 2's PS3 and 360 release.

Once again, three of those games arent system sellers. They will be purchased by some customers, but I cant see either NG:RE or BAC:AE selling beyond 200k each and moving console sales with them, and the original Bayonetta didnt sell alot to begin with while being multiplatform. gtt is asking for a system seller, a killer app: Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Smash Bros.

Berrix wrote:And if Nintendo were to make a more powerful (visually noticeable) system, it would alienate themselves on the other end of the spectrum of the third parties. Why make a super strong game on one system when you can still make it on two with a substantial install base?

And a weak console could alienate third parties when they make the transition to the next generation XBOX and PS, which will be many times more powerful than WiiU, and find themselves unable to port their games without major cuts.
WiiU will compete with 360 and PS3 for like a year, and it will compete with 720 and PS4 for 5 years or more, I believe the priority should have been hardware parity with the later ones.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby Berrix » 29 Dec 2012 15:21

ddddd wrote:And a weak console could alienate third parties when they make the transition to the next generation XBOX and PS, which will be many times more powerful than WiiU, and find themselves unable to port their games without major cuts.
WiiU will compete with 360 and PS3 for like a year, and it will compete with 720 and PS4 for 5 years or more, I believe the priority should have been hardware parity with the later ones.

That's assuming if Microsoft and Sony are truly willing to shoot themselves in the foot to release a new system in a year's time as rumors seem to state. We're along the lines right now to make anything truly visually noticeable of an upgrade from the current roster of consoles, you're either looking at a very hefty priced console, or bare bones on bonuses (like pre-insalled HD space that's viable). Both I don't think either company is willing to shill out in a year's time. Two maybe, but three at most. Honestly, at the time of Nintendo's release of the Wii U there wouldn't be too many choices, but I think Nintendo made the best choice considering the timing. Though this places them at the back end of expected console releases after the other two pulled their guns out.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby gtt » 29 Dec 2012 16:55

Berrix wrote:
ddddd wrote:And a weak console could alienate third parties when they make the transition to the next generation XBOX and PS, which will be many times more powerful than WiiU, and find themselves unable to port their games without major cuts.

That's assuming if Microsoft and Sony are truly willing to shoot themselves in the foot to release a new system in a year's time as rumors seem to state. We're along the lines right now to make anything truly visually noticeable of an upgrade from the current roster of consoles, you're either looking at a very hefty priced console, or bare bones on bonuses (like pre-insalled HD space that's viable). Both I don't think either company is willing to shill out in a year's time. Two maybe, but three at most. Honestly, at the time of Nintendo's release of the Wii U there wouldn't be too many choices, but I think Nintendo made the best choice considering the timing. Though this places them at the back end of expected console releases after the other two pulled their guns out.

if you think there is no where to go visually from 360/ps3 I don't know what to tell you. but you're dead wrong. the current gen hardware is so underpowered compared to even midrange parts from a couple of years ago, it isn't funny.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby ronnande » 29 Dec 2012 23:32

It seems people think that if the WiiU were on par with the x720/ps4 in specs it would get the third party titles those platforms will get. Forget it, even if on par specwise it would still only get ports of 10% (at best) of those third party titles. So its really absolutely no point in Nintendo following MS and Sony on the specs.
They would also have to take huge losses on each console sold or price it so high even the most avid Nintendo fan would not buy it. Still with little support from third parties.
ronnande
Goomba
Goomba

Postby THEWORD777 » 30 Dec 2012 00:14

On a different note,i was told there was a story online about Retro working on Metriod (prime style)wii u game with player one controls samus and player two uses to control a choco or somthing named of that nature.so in all a co-op game,anyone else heard or seen this article im trying to fing it?
THEWORD777
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: iHarryGaming

Postby ddddd » 30 Dec 2012 08:00

THEWORD777 wrote:On a different note,i was told there was a story online about Retro working on Metriod (prime style)wii u game with player one controls samus and player two uses to control a choco or somthing named of that nature.so in all a co-op game,anyone else heard or seen this article im trying to fing it?

Its a rumor from Paul Gale, he already disscarded it himself.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby Berrix » 30 Dec 2012 14:26

gtt wrote:if you think there is no where to go visually from 360/ps3 I don't know what to tell you. but you're dead wrong. the current gen hardware is so underpowered compared to even midrange parts from a couple of years ago, it isn't funny.

Didn't say that there is nowhere to go visually, just at this point they need to wow the gamers right out of their old consoles into the new one. In order to do that they need the visuals, like previous console announcements, to be visually more stunning than it's previous console. That stacked with expected larger array of feature (Kinect built in being one), you're still looking at a hefty priced console if it were to come so quickly. Don't get me wrong, they can (and probably will) do it within two years, but don't go expecting people to read "X-Box 720" and shell out the acclaimed price, cause it won't be a simple $300, people are still complaining the prices now are ridiculous. Even if they release around the second year, Nintendo will still have the game momentum to keep a decent amount of eyes on them for a change. If anything it's be the last two years that we'd need, or Nintendo needs, to worry about. By that point it would call for Nintendo to be the first to step up to the generation after. However, what will they do will remain a mystery till then.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby FadedAreWii » 30 Dec 2012 22:53

Non Nintendo games that seem to be doing well are Batman, Black Ops II, Zombi U, Sonic Racing Transformed, Scribblenauts, Assassins Creed, and Trine 2. Really, outside of Mario and Nintendoland, there isn't anything but thirdparty games.

There is near 50 games out there already for the system with plenty of quality choices. Mass Effect, Tekken Tag, etc. And some notable games coming soon like Aliens, Bayonetta, P1000/heroes, Monster Hunter, etc.

And quite a few of these games that have 360/PS3 counter parts look better on Wii U. Although not by a huge margin, these are launch games that took less than a year to make.

As for Nintendo not showing off power, that proves nothing as Nintendo has never played that game. The Gamecube was just as powerful as xbox and more so than PS2, but you would have never known it as Nintendo played conservitive when it came to touting power as they always have been. It may not be the hugest leap in the end, but, yes, calling it just a 360 with a weird controller is nothing but a dumb internet fanboy meme.

Oh, and the controller is far from weird. You worry about casuals then call a tablet controller weird. Not much sense there.
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Postby THEWORD777 » 31 Dec 2012 02:12

Nintendo,believe it or not,is competeing against the other 2 company's Nintendo are just been clever about it.M$ and sony also developers have plowed money it to this gen for ninty to now come along with HD console to reap the rewards that other companys spent money on imo a good dirty tactic.
As for launch games,Skyrim should have been in there and i hope it comes to wii u.
THEWORD777
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: iHarryGaming

Postby ddddd » 02 Jan 2013 10:05

ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby SDDMN » 04 Jan 2013 03:32

So basically, the Wii U isn't selling as well in the UK as the US or Japan at this point. If worse comes to worse, I'll keep the Wii U for Nintendo's titles and the third party exclusive/multiplatform titles Nintendo does snag for it, and get the PS4/Omni for third party games available on it that don't come to the Wii U.

I don't trust the company that gave me Windows Vista.
SDDMN
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: SDDMN25
3DS: 4596-9457-8127

Postby ddddd » 04 Jan 2013 09:34

ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby gtt » 04 Jan 2013 15:03

SDDMN wrote:

So basically, the Wii U isn't selling as well in the UK as the US or Japan at this point. If worse comes to worse, I'll keep the Wii U for Nintendo's titles and the third party exclusive/multiplatform titles Nintendo does snag for it, and get the PS4/Omni for third party games available on it that don't come to the Wii U.

I don't trust the company that gave me Windows Vista.

I don't like the metro interface, I don't like the entire xbox ecosystem either. so ps4 is a no brainer for me.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Berrix » 04 Jan 2013 23:44

We able to find any sales charts comparable of the GCN's comparable era in it's launch? This actually looks very familiar.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby Devil_Rising » 05 Jan 2013 06:00

TopCat wrote:Show me a single Wii U game or app that looks (considerably) better than anything that's already available on the other HD consoles, please! Show me something to convince me that the Wii U is more than a glorified 360 with a tablet controller.

A) The GamePad is NOT a "tablet" controller, and people need to quit showing their technological ignorance by continually calling it this. A "tablet", by definition, is a computer that has NO other input devices other than the touch screen that it's built with. The GamePad is a standard issue VIDEO GAME CONTROLLER, hence Analog Sticks, D-Pad, Face Buttons, Shoulder Buttons, Start/Select, etc., that also happens to have a rather sizable DS-style touch screen on it. That's a controller with a touch screen (along with some nifty other features). That does NOT make it a "tablet", in any imaginable way, shape or form. If the Wii U came with a "tablet", then it's primary controller would BE a tablet, with multi-point touch screen and NOTHING else, similar to an iPad. Case closed.

B) As someone else pointed out, you're trying to make an irrationally absurd point, by saying that nothing out for Wii U right now (which by the way hasn't even been out two months), looks CONSIDERABLY better than what you'd see out of "late generation" 360 or PS3 games (graphically speaking). For lack of a more sophisticated term, sir, I believe the expression is "DUH". Go back and look at most launch window PS2 or Gamecube or even Xbox games. Very few of them REALLY looked leaps and bounds better the best of what the previous generation had done. Better yes, CONSIDERABLY, no, unless you count exceptions like Rogue Squadron. Even look at launch window 360 or PS3 games. Most of them didn't look WORLDS better than PS2 or Xbox or Gamecube games either. Hence the reason that back in 2006, a GC hardware title like Twilight Princess looked as good as some of the early 360 games I'd seen, and a PS2 title like Shadow of the Colossus was STILL better looking than the early "next gen" stuff.

Point being, and this is an OBVIOUS one, go back to ANY video game console. ANY single one, that has lasted long enough to matter. I don't care if we're talking about the Atari 2600, the NES, the SNES, the Genesis, the Playstation, or the 360, NO game console in the history of this business has ever had it's best looking games right out of the gate. Not once, not ever. NSMBU is a fantastic looking game, but all it's really trying for is taking that NSMB art style to the smoothest it could possibly get, and it's there. Bear in mind that NSMBWii was already a very pretty game (not flashy like Galaxy, but still very smooth and good looking). U just took that up to 10, and honestly, except for I suppose even better backgrounds (and this game does feature some cool looking ones), there isn't MUCH better that art style could look. You have not seen the next Zelda, the next 3D Mario, the next Mario Kart, the next whatever else is coming down the pipeline (Monolith Soft or Retro Studios, anyone?). Wii U will put out games that will make you question the "it's way weaker than the PS4 logic". And yes, again "DUH", the PS4 WILL be more powerful, almost certainly. But Wii U is a powerful console, and if Wii could have such gorgeous games because of great ART DESIGN, then just imagine what Wii U could do. If graphics are all you're going by, then you can rest assured that Wii U will indeed produce some drop dead gorgeous games.

Though quite frankly, I'd personally suggest you try to get more out of games than pretty graphics. They're more fun that way. Have a nice day. :mrgreen:
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby MDX » 13 Jan 2013 15:44

If Acid Ghost is a real game,
If it will be announced next month's ONM UK...

we might be seeing signs of Nintendo preparing to
push, possibly even in some territories (UK) jump start,
the sales momentum of the WiiU.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508034

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/rumour-on ... cid-ghost/
MDX
Goomba
Goomba

Postby ddddd » 13 Jan 2013 18:10

MDX wrote:If Acid Ghost is a real game,
If it will be announced next month's ONM UK...

we might be seeing signs of Nintendo preparing to
push, possibly even in some territories (UK) jump start,
the sales momentum of the WiiU.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508034

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/rumour-on ... cid-ghost/

It was a hoax, its arwork was taken from DA and every detail is more ridiculous than the previous one.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to WiiU / Wii