WiiU momentum

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: WiiU momentum

Postby MDX » 13 Jan 2013 19:06

ddddd wrote:
MDX wrote:If Acid Ghost is a real game,
If it will be announced next month's ONM UK...

we might be seeing signs of Nintendo preparing to
push, possibly even in some territories (UK) jump start,
the sales momentum of the WiiU.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508034

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/rumour-on ... cid-ghost/

It was a hoax, its arwork was taken from DA and every detail is more ridiculous than the previous one.

What are you talking about?
MDX
Goomba
Goomba

Postby ddddd » 13 Jan 2013 22:34

MDX wrote:
ddddd wrote:
MDX wrote:If Acid Ghost is a real game,
If it will be announced next month's ONM UK...

we might be seeing signs of Nintendo preparing to
push, possibly even in some territories (UK) jump start,
the sales momentum of the WiiU.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508034

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/rumour-on ... cid-ghost/

It was a hoax, its arwork was taken from DA and every detail is more ridiculous than the previous one.

What are you talking about?

Check again the link from Nintendo Enthusiast, the autor did some extra digging and updated the article with his findings.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby VinceFox » 14 Jan 2013 19:43

I strongly feel Hardcore Gamers are to blame for the lack of momentum of the Wii U

They sadly have a strong foothold in the industry and it's slowly feeling like 1983 if you think about it

Fact #1: Last Year's E3 was laden with games that have content that the hardcore gamers lust over making it the most embarrassing E3 to date
Fact #2: The retail scene here in the United States is over saturated with games aimed at Hardcore Gamers not to mention most of game advertising is geared towards games they THEY would love making games aimed to everybody else and especially Original IPs fail to see prosperity (example of victim: Retro Game Challenge)
Fact #3: The Biden vs. ESA thing is a disturbing echo of the Lieberman/Kohl anti-video games hearing in the '90s (think about it)
Fact #4: The Hardcore Gamers made the retail scene look so corrupt that developers ran away to the digital scene (notable developers: Jellyvision, FarSight Studios and SuperVillain Studios)
Fact #5 (the more important one): The Hardcore Gamers only care about Sony and Microsoft thus they will do anything in their power to see Nintendo wind up like Atari - by this i mean they only support games for Playstation 3, PS Vita and Xbox 360 plus they make sure quirky games never see profit by making GTA, Madden and Call of Duty mondo successful

I know this sound like i'm nutzoids but hear me out --- The Hardcore Gamers are slowly killing the US video game industry and we need to do something about it
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RetroToonMaster
3DS: 3351-4181-1924
PSN: RetroToonFan

Postby MDX » 23 Jan 2013 19:07

MDX wrote:Nintendo says the key to WiiU success is to keep the momentum going.
Which means they must reveal and launch games in a timely manner.

10 days before Xmas, does Nintendo need to reveal a game for a strong Xmas and January numbers?
Or can they ride it out till March with the launch window games?

If Microsoft is planning for a 2013 launch, they might start hyping their console much earlier than E3.
So, does Nintendo need to show at least one title that looks and performs better than current gen games?
A true next gen looking title.

Well did the recent Nintendo Direct provide momentum for the WiiU?
I think so, but I expect about half the games to come out in 2014,
so Nintendo will have to rely on 3rd Parties to step up their game.
MDX
Goomba
Goomba

Postby CM30 » 23 Jan 2013 20:33

I think that Mario Kart game, that 3D Mario game, Zelda U and Super Smash Bros 4 will do a hell of a lot for Wii U hype to be perfectly honest. And I bet you anything that at least one of those is going to be out before the year's over.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby Josh5890 » 24 Jan 2013 20:20

CM30 wrote:I think that Mario Kart game, that 3D Mario game, Zelda U and Super Smash Bros 4 will do a hell of a lot for Wii U hype to be perfectly honest. And I bet you anything that at least one of those is going to be out before the year's over.

My money is on the 3D Mario game coming out this year. Smash Bros and Kart will probably be 2014. If we are lucky, Zelda in 2015.
Josh5890
Chocobo
Chocobo

PSN: Josh5890

Postby FadedAreWii » 25 Jan 2013 04:15

My bet is Mario Kart shortly after E3, Mario 3DU Christmas title, Smash mid 2014 Zelda Christmas 2014.

Maybe more realistic would be Mario Kart Christmas, Mario mid 2014, Smash end 2014, Zelda mid 2015.

Can't wait for Fire Emblem X-over, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Game and Wario, Xenoblade U, Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Dragon Quest X, Yarn Yoshi, Zelda Wind Waker U, Resident Evil Revelations, and Lego City this year.

No, I'm not just listing all the new announcements/exclusives, I plan on owning every single one of these games. I didn't even include games I plan on owning in general until then, like Aliens: Marines, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and Rayman Legends.

And I'm sure Nintendo and third-parties are going to sneak in a few more surprises before the year is over. This is getting good. :-D
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Postby ddddd » 30 Jan 2013 05:45

So, Nintendo lowered the U sales expectations for this quarter, again, by 1.5 million units (going from 5.5 to 4).
Im expecting Mario 3D and Kart releasing this year plus a console price drop, if they got DLC for NSMBU, its time to announce it.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby KoopaStomper27 » 30 Jan 2013 06:39

FadedAreWii wrote:My bet is Mario Kart shortly after E3, Mario 3DU Christmas title, Smash mid 2014 Zelda Christmas 2014.

Maybe more realistic would be Mario Kart Christmas, Mario mid 2014, Smash end 2014, Zelda mid 2015.

Can't wait for Fire Emblem X-over, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Game and Wario, Xenoblade U, Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Dragon Quest X, Yarn Yoshi, Zelda Wind Waker U, Resident Evil Revelations, and Lego City this year.

No, I'm not just listing all the new announcements/exclusives, I plan on owning every single one of these games. I didn't even include games I plan on owning in general until then, like Aliens: Marines, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and Rayman Legends.

And I'm sure Nintendo and third-parties are going to sneak in a few more surprises before the year is over. This is getting good. :-D

Agreed x 1000000. :D
To all 3DS and Wii U users; Hit me up with a request so we can be friends!! :D
KoopaStomper27
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: KoopaStomper27
3DS: 146164029432
Wii: 3337667015076641
XBL: MatthewKing1985

Postby KingBroly » 30 Jan 2013 08:04

ddddd wrote:So, Nintendo lowered the U sales expectations for this quarter, again, by 1.5 million units (going from 5.5 to 4).
Im expecting Mario 3D and Kart releasing this year plus a console price drop, if they got DLC for NSMBU, its time to announce it.

I'm not expecting a console price cut since they're still losing money on the hardware. Especially since software attach ratio is pretty damn good all things considered.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
My Alternate Account is Cortjezter
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby FadedAreWii » 30 Jan 2013 14:43

Maybe not this year, they will probably go one more holiday season with the current price, but I still smell a 3DS strategy. Catch early adopters, when more games are out; drop the price and roll out an early adopter program(unless that is what the 30 cent games already are).
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby ddddd » 31 Jan 2013 09:30

KingBroly wrote:
ddddd wrote:So, Nintendo lowered the U sales expectations for this quarter, again, by 1.5 million units (going from 5.5 to 4).

I'm not expecting a console price cut since they're still losing money on the hardware. Especially since software attach ratio is pretty damn good all things considered.

Not soon, more like after E3. Eventually nintendo has to step into 2013 and embrace 22nm manufactoring process and other things that should help lower the manufacture prices.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I have the solution for Nintendo's woes.

Postby bfx9 » 01 Feb 2013 00:47

Nintendo needs to takes its AAA franchises
like Zelda, eternal darkness, fzero, starfox and metroid
among many many others and make trilogies
of each for wii U.

this model works for mass effect, halo, cod, madden, killzone,
uncharted etc etc.

Mario galaxy had 2 itinerations which was out of character and it worked.
the games were excellent and made much money.

spend some of the billions. outsource. buy small western studios. pay developers. add modern features.
these games will still score 8-9 on metacritic and everybody wins.

Nintendo is sitting on a gold mine. I want to give them my money
but they insist on making silly mistakes.

Reggie is so Snow White and uptight. the plain vanilla approach of NOA and dogmatic nature of NOJ
is about as fun as having lunch with my HR department.
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Re: I have the solution for Nintendo's woes.

Postby FadedAreWii » 01 Feb 2013 01:42

Definitely a good idea, maybe. I don't want yearly Zelda like CoD, Zelda needs the love and time it gets, as do any of their franchises as far as I'm concerned. Maybe shorter games like Star Fox could go into a trilogy. Don't forget the Prime Trilogy, by a Western studio no less. :shock:

That said, I don't believe Nintendo's woes are as bad as you think they are, though.

Not to drag the other thread into this, but I feel my reply kinda shows why they aren't as bad off as you seem to think, so instead retyping a bunch of it, I'm just quoting:

FadedAreWii wrote:
Faver wrote:
bfx9 wrote:dude. the wii U won't have a high install base compared to the next gen systems (the term next gen is determined by the industry people, not geeks trolling the web) the system is too
pricey when it's all said and done for its power output.

You have to be kidding me, no one can be this stupid right? Because the industry right now is calling the next Xbox and the PS4 the 'next gen' and as it stands they both have an absolute zero install base. So, the Wii U already has a larger instal base than the 'next gen' even if only one was ever sold.

So, unless you have some crystal ball that tells you something about the market in five years that no one else knows, your statement is either a failure grammatically, or an exercise in stupidity and conjecture.

And the other thing of it is that the other systems have a good chance of coming out and bombing as well, nothing is guaranteed. By the time the other systems even release, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart, Mario 3DU, Smash Bros., Xenoblade 2, Wind Waker HD remake, Wii Fit U, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi, Dragon Quest X, Wonderful 101, Lego City, and Fire Emblem will be out, and, no matter what anyone says, these are Nintendo's next-gen games and you are just a troll if you really think these aren't going to move systems to all varieties of gamers, no matter how many disqualifiers you want to give for why you hate each one of those games, or no matter how hardcore your super awesome sauce rig is compared to Wii U.

A library like that with games like Monster Hunter Ultimate, Game and Wario, Wii Party U, Injustice Gods Among Us, Aliens, a highly likely Zombi U sequel, and whatever the hell else we don't even know about yet (Retro?), Wii U will have a decent install base before the other systems are even released, and it's already 3mil strong. Plus, games like New Super Mario U, Zombi U, and other launch titles that are selling decently will continue to be picked up by new Wii U buyers. Also, Wii U has a small install base right now, but I don't see how that is an excuse when Zombi U, a third-party game, is selling well, a game that Ubisoft clearly cared more about than EA did for Mass Effect on Wii U. Probably no connection there, though. :-/ It's also funny that you say Wii U is too pricey, but if the other systems are going to be so far beyond Wii U in power, they are going to be much more expensive.

There are lots of holes in your arguments, but, in the end, no one can say as matter-of-factly as you are trying to. The systems could sell truckloads, they could bomb, or maybe one will, maybe Wii U's library by then kicked sales into high gear, you have no clue. The only real clue we have is that Nintendo releases systems and succeeds even if they don't have a 60 million install base because their games and the few third-parties that try here and there sell enough. Nintendo doesn't have to change anything, they know what they are doing and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

The other systems, however, if they bomb and go the power route again, you likely won't see systems from the others after this and the market could crash, leaving Nintendo to save it again. I mean, we can guess at what will happen all day.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=104367&start=50
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby CM30 » 01 Feb 2013 14:14

I do think Nintendo should release games more often, one per console is a bit too slow a release schedule in this day and age...

But they shouldn't overdo it. Two or three Mario platformers on a console? Good. One every year ala Call of Duty? Not so much.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby Berrix » 01 Feb 2013 14:33

CM30 wrote:I do think Nintendo should release games more often, one per console is a bit too slow a release schedule in this day and age...

But they shouldn't overdo it. Two or three Mario platformers on a console? Good. One every year ala Call of Duty? Not so much.

Problem with that, as Iwata stated in Nintendo Direct, was the ever-growing vastness of resource demands to develop such on consoles. Hence why they've started to reach out recently and, so far, gotten SMTxFE. We know nothing of what else they may have on the table. And Nintendo also ends up always researching to try new things with each sequel, if it's subtle or not depends on the game, but they don't just spew out Mario Galaxy 2 as Mario Galaxy 1's lost levels. Thought yes, it felt like it ended up that way (not that's a bad thing), we can't assume there wasn't a bunch of research and testing before that before they went, "$#@% it! Release the game."

bfx9 wrote:Nintendo needs to takes its AAA franchises
like Zelda, eternal darkness, fzero, starfox and metroid
among many many others and make trilogies
of each for wii U.

I... I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Since when was F-Zero, Star Fox, or even Metroid a "AAA" title franchise? When did Nintendo own the complete right to Eternal Darkness, let alone also be a "AAA" title, not to mention considered a franchise to begin with. With that mentality why isn't Pikmin, a game having a sequel releasing soon, not "AAA" title franchise? New Super Mario Bros U? That one can be debated. Monster Hunter 3 can also fall in this line of thinking if we're going that route. We can't just spew whatever franchise name that didn't appear on Wii and consider it a AAA title. They're great franchises, yes, but not this AAA that would bring the gamers flocking. Cause most already have bought the Wii U expecting such games.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby bfx9 » 01 Feb 2013 20:36

when I say AAA. i am meaning titles that have sold well and or
have been identified as being high quality.
there are many Nintendo franchises I feel should be used
more. ok maybe not a yearly installment, but every 2 years.
any new hardcore IP is more uncertain to sell as an fzero or eternal darkness.
it does take time and money to put out more volume, but that's
the goal and Nintendo has billions to acquire western studios.

I believe these titles from Nintendos hardcore past
would allure the Xbox ps3 crowd.
many of those gamers played snes and n64.

wouldn't it be cool to see Nintendo throw money
at square for a chrono trigger sequal?
or reaquire cruisin USA and killer instinct?
align with capcom for a killer 7 sequal?

Nintendo has the history. they have the money and IP's.
many old 3rd party IP's I feel are really Nintendo at heart.
Last edited by bfx9 on 02 Feb 2013 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby FadedAreWii » 02 Feb 2013 00:05

Berrix wrote:
I... I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Since when was F-Zero, Star Fox, or even Metroid a "AAA" title franchise? When did Nintendo own the complete right to Eternal Darkness, let alone also be a "AAA" title, not to mention considered a franchise to begin with. With that mentality why isn't Pikmin, a game having a sequel releasing soon, not "AAA" title franchise? New Super Mario Bros U? That one can be debated. Monster Hunter 3 can also fall in this line of thinking if we're going that route. We can't just spew whatever franchise name that didn't appear on Wii and consider it a AAA title. They're great franchises, yes, but not this AAA that would bring the gamers flocking. Cause most already have bought the Wii U expecting such games.

F-Zero has always been AAA. GX is as triple A as a game can get. I'll give you Star Fox has faltered a couple entries, but when it is done right, it is definitely AAA. I'd say Star Fox might not be considered a AAA franchise at the moment, but it was, and hopefully will be again with its Wii U entry if we get one. Pikmin is definitely AAA franchise. Metroid always has been despite the controversial Other M. Nintendo does own Eternal Darkness and a sequel would likely qualify the franchise as AAA. Monster Hunter is AAA as far as I'm concerned. I guess calling a game AAA can be subjective, cause I don't really see AAA as just meaning gamers flock to it, I see it more as a representation of care, budget, quality, etc., not sales. A triple A title can still be AAA to me and not have to of sold truckloads. Don't get me wrong, sales can play a factor as well, I just never that that was the main definition of what "AAA" is. New Super Mario U, hell yeah it's a triple A title due to being a system seller, but also the quality. Wii Sports and Resort sold tons and sold systems, but I still wouldn't really call it a triple A franchise because it's clear Nintendo just makes those simple games, but doesn't have to put huge effort into them because they are casual and simplified. Nothing wrong with that, just not what makes a AAA game, imo.
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Previous

Return to WiiU / Wii