Wii U - the infinite thread of doom and disgruntlement

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Wii U - the infinite thread of doom and disgruntlement

Postby cortjezter » 27 Jul 2008 22:50

So everyday we see some new thread or conversation about unhappiness related to people's experience with the wii u.

Instead of littering the forum with lots of short topics, all will be merged into one that is stickies for easy steam-letting.

Have a splendid time.
cortjezter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam ID: cortjezter
Wii: 4659 4316 9119 3027
PSN: cortjezter
XBL: cortjezter

Has Nintendo changed?

Postby Blumiere » 01 Dec 2012 22:30

Let's face it; Nintendo is in a not so good position, although it has already been worse. They're been forced for one of the first times ever to sell their consoles/handhelds at a loss. The 3DS is doing bad in America (even though, that's not the case in Japan, but assuming the mass market is in the US...) and even Iwata assumed that. You can say it's outselling the DS, but its sales did only picked up when the DS Lite arived. The Wii U sold 2/3 of what the Wii did on launch week and that's not because of the stores being sold out as the Wii U stock was higher.

That's not horrible and I am sure Nintendo is not going bankrupt, but things could certainly be better as it was before.

Many people got disappointed becuase of E3 2012. Even though it was pretty good, it made a lot of people's hype go down. They made a Microsoft-like presentation and forgot the hardcore ones who watch E3. At this time, Nintendo drastically changed how they showed their products and advertised; it was full of spokesmen talking (who really cares about what Ubisoft's chief thinks actually?) and Reggie telling there was a lot coming on (when he was actually at the half of the presentation). And NO. "Nintendo All-Access" is not a name I want to remember!

Instead of showing trailers and teasing people the right way, Reggie was just like "so here's New Super Mario Bros. U and that really changes how you play". It makes me really miss Cammie Dunaway's time. I remember the excitement when they announced Super Mario Galaxy 2, but this time, they only showed the games like they're not caring about it, focusing on SiNG Party and Miyamoto talking the same things over and over (Iwata is really better on this type of thing).

Nintendo Land, which was one of the best things on it, was left just after everyone was bored of CEO talking how X company is great and Reggie saying, for the eleventh time, "the best has yet to come". It finished with a boring fireworks night to illustrate how sleepy people were at E3.

Just remember:
Back in time : Cool 3DS Reactions video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQ8u7YJOSQ
Unforgettable commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgh0D1Sfg3s

Now : Nintendo Land commercial that explains nothing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezmdN4HDEoc
I am a coin-collecting champion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6XeECPKnJM

Am I the only one who thinks they changed their relationship with the public? Nintendo sales went better after that, but you can list other reasons for that (price drop, better support). Or their newer campaign is just preventing Nintendo to do better as they did back in 2006?
Blumiere
Goomba
Goomba

3DS: 0216-0815-1147

Re: Has Nintendo changed?

Postby linkgx1 » 02 Dec 2012 00:00

I'm not sure what to think of Nintendo at this point. Their direction is...weird. (Note: Nintendo is gonna be taking a hit with money, like SONY, because of the strong Japanese Yen). Like...they essentially made a Wii HD with some things right and somethigns wrong. But released it before Xbox and PS3, even though they came after the Xbox. SO MANY UPDATES out the gate, unclear advertisement.

They have a year to get their act together .
linkgx1
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Linkgx1
PSN: Linkgx1
XBL: Linkgx1

Wii U Gamepad annoyances

Postby gatorboi352 » 17 Dec 2012 16:20

I have a build quality annoyance. We already know about the rattling buttons/stylus/volume rocker.... but does anybody else's Gamepad creak or pop, or just generally feel cheap, on the bottom left and right when gripping the pad around those areas (usually when accessing the touch controls or drawing with the stylus)?

Also, feel free to post your annoyances about the Gamepad here.
gatorboi352
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gatorboi352
Wii: 6358 4960 5851 8155

Re: Wii U Gamepad annoyances

Postby Mako » 17 Dec 2012 18:04

You can't turn it off easily when you don't want to use it. Some parts of the Wii U require it (eShop and so on). I can't even take it 20 feet out of my room without it losing its signal. It is hard to play games while looking at two screens at once. Like you also mentioned, it feels cheaply made.

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan. I do love the pro controller though.
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Mako91
3DS: 4167-4543-6089
Wii: 0725-3780-1331-9030
PSN: yugoboy91

Postby Lakster37 » 17 Dec 2012 20:39

gatorboi352 wrote:I have a build quality annoyance. We already know about the rattling buttons/stylus/volume rocker.... but does anybody else's Gamepad creak or pop, or just generally feel cheap, on the bottom left and right when gripping the pad around those areas (usually when accessing the touch controls or drawing with the stylus)?

I don't exactly know what you mean by this part. You mean where it has the bumps on the back so you can actually grip it and makes it easier to hold? I don't know how that COULD feel cheap... I could understand about the buttons, triggers, sticks, etc.
Lakster's Wii FC: 0396-7842-5899-7903
Lakster37
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Lakster

Postby gatorboi352 » 18 Dec 2012 00:58

Lakster37 wrote:
gatorboi352 wrote:I have a build quality annoyance. We already know about the rattling buttons/stylus/volume rocker.... but does anybody else's Gamepad creak or pop, or just generally feel cheap, on the bottom left and right when gripping the pad around those areas (usually when accessing the touch controls or drawing with the stylus)?

I don't exactly know what you mean by this part. You mean where it has the bumps on the back so you can actually grip it and makes it easier to hold? I don't know how that COULD feel cheap... I could understand about the buttons, triggers, sticks, etc.

Sorry about that; what Im referring to is the front of the gamepad. The whole front shiny area appears to be a face plate of sorts and when you grip the lower part of the controller the front face creaks and pops on my device way more than you'd expect.
gatorboi352
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gatorboi352
Wii: 6358 4960 5851 8155

Postby TheWalkingBread » 18 Dec 2012 01:18

I for one don't think it feels cheap at all, I know that the buttons rattle a bit but that my only beef with it, but thats just my opinion.
Last edited by TheWalkingBread on 18 Dec 2012 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
TheWalkingBread
Goomba
Goomba

PSN: professor-Hobo
XBL: JrockJesse

Postby Reynard » 18 Dec 2012 03:41

It doesn't feel cheap. At All.

My only beef with the thing is the distance between the triggers and the bumpers is uncomfortably wide, makes dodging in Darksiders more difficult than it should be.
Reynard
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Reynard_Fox
3DS: 2277-6695-2597
XBL: Reynard-Foxx

Postby Sammet » 18 Dec 2012 06:28

I don't get the cheap thing either, it feels solid and well built to me. The only grips I have are my buttons rattle a little and how greasy it gets with the finish.

I prefer using the gamepad over wiimote/nunchuck. I've got pretty big hands so for me the gamepad is really comfortable.
PM me and I'll add you to my 3DS - feel free to add my NNID for WiiU too!
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Samwiise
3DS: 0817-3844-7533
Wii: 6169 7599 9537 5328

Postby ronnande » 18 Dec 2012 10:04

The gamepad do not in any way feel cheap, where you guys getting that from? And when it comes to the slight rattling sound from the buttons, do you sit and shake the controller just to hear it and get annoyed?
Only legit complaint would be the fingerprints, but thats the nature of the glossy finish.
I find the gamepad to be an extremely comfortable controller and off-tv play is awsome.
ronnande
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 18 Dec 2012 11:53

gatorboi352 wrote:Sorry about that; what Im referring to is the front of the gamepad. The whole front shiny area appears to be a face plate of sorts and when you grip the lower part of the controller the front face creaks and pops on my device way more than you'd expect.

Mine creaks too, but I don't think of the GamePad as being cheap because of it. :P

I blame the button rattling for that. xD
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby Edsanji » 18 Dec 2012 12:21

The only bad thing for me is that I dont have one!
PSN: Edsanji
3DS FC: way too long to remember it....
Wii FC: Why some will need that?
Edsanji
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: Edsanji
PSN: Edsanji

Postby TheWalkingBread » 18 Dec 2012 15:48

Sammet wrote:I don't get the cheap thing either, it feels solid and well built to me. The only grips I have are my buttons rattle a little and how greasy it gets with the finish.

I prefer using the gamepad over wiimote/nunchuck. I've got pretty big hands so for me the gamepad is really comfortable.

do what I do and buy a nerf armor it should make things go a bit easier
TheWalkingBread
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Magolor » 18 Dec 2012 18:25

I don't have any problem with the gamepad. It is light, but it should be, I don't want to hold a massive heavy brick with one hand while I use the stylus. I would rather have a matte finish though, just a personal prefrence
Magolor
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: MagolorTheGreat
Steam ID: FlakkTheGreat

Postby TheWalkingBread » 18 Dec 2012 18:57

Magolor wrote:I don't have any problem with the gamepad. It is light, but it should be, I don't want to hold a massive heavy brick with one hand while I use the stylus. I would rather have a matte finish though, just a personal prefrence

I agree 100% It need to be light weight and I love the matte finish but i don't want it all scratched thats why I got a nerf armor...Me promoting Nerf armors since the shovel came out 8)
TheWalkingBread
Goomba
Goomba

Lack luster Wii U reviews

Postby lazerbyte » 19 Dec 2012 13:22

Something I've noticed over the past several weeks since the Wii U was launched many gaming websites have not given the Wii U a favorable review saying that it is lack luster and even gone so far as to give 10 reasons NOT to buy one.

G4 even gave it 2.5 saying the screen on the pad wasn't good and the games were lacking.

Go back to the 360 or the PS3 launch and notice the lack of games. As time goes on we'll see a lot more games for the system in 2013 and I know these people who gave bad reviews will be eating their words as many of the games that come out will have features exclusive only to the Wii U.

I enjoy my Wii U and I don't listen to reviews as I am capable of making my own decisions.

What do you guys think of the not so favorable reviews of the Wii U?
lazerbyte
Chocobo
Chocobo

PSN: Lazerbyte

Re: Lack luster Wii U reviews

Postby TheLastBlade » 19 Dec 2012 13:53

Sounds like the PS Vita. LOOOOOOOOLLL!!!!
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Magolor » 19 Dec 2012 14:44

You do realise that many reviews are actually made by fanboys/paid by the companies. You should use sites/magazines for information gathering and work out what games you want to buy via information, demos and playing it with friends that already have it (You can normally trade in a lackluster new game for about half the price anyway.)

Also wasn't G4 the place that had X-Play, the show that gave BUBSY 3D a 5/5? Yeah, G4 isn't the most reliable place from what I can gather (We don't have G4 in Britan...)

Also, TheLastBlade's post reminds me of all the articles in magazines before the new handhelds release that painted the PS vita as soooo much better than the 3DS, and we all know how that turned out...
Magolor
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: MagolorTheGreat
Steam ID: FlakkTheGreat

Postby jlatimer11 » 19 Dec 2012 16:11

G4? the same G4 that is being phased out and replaced with a men's channel?

It's very in to dislike Nintendo, especially by brogamers.
jlatimer11
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: jlatimer11
3DS: 1891-1333-7003
PSN: jlatimer11
XBL: jmlat

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 19 Dec 2012 20:58

Nothing that comes from G4 is credible…
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby lazerbyte » 21 Dec 2012 22:31

I don't trust reviews that why I come to this site. I was just surprised at how people were trashing it and I really like the console. The review G4 game didn't show any of the positive of the system it was all the negative.

And yes G4 is going to turn into another SpikeTV and it's gonna be just as craptastic as Spike is in other words LAME SHAME!!
lazerbyte
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby cortjezter » 21 Dec 2012 23:23

i think the same as anyone else should when it comes to reviews of anything: to each their own. that's why i merely use reviews as a point of reference.

more often than not, people will just bitch about things they don't like rather than praise something, so i find it a good place to see what things other people didn't like and see how such a thing would affect me. if they are factual points, such as VC being unavailable at the launch of Wii, i give it more weight. if someone says they don't find button placement convenient on a controller, only i can be the judge of that... for myself.

the best you can do is find a way/place to try the wii u for yourself before plunking down cash, and gather some firsthand opinions. i don't let others' opinions choose who i vote for in elections, who i want to marry, etc... why should it be any different than committing to a long-term product purchase?
cortjezter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam ID: cortjezter
Wii: 4659 4316 9119 3027
PSN: cortjezter
XBL: cortjezter

Postby lazerbyte » 21 Dec 2012 23:37

I love my Wii U but I think people judge solely based on the games that are out now and the fact it takes a few hours to update.

All consoles have their flaws. Look at the 360 with it's RROD.

I look at things from a constructive perspective rather than destructive "Oh I didn't like the buttons" "Oh the controller is odd" etc.

I look it in how I can use it and enjoy it!

I picked up Last Story and a Wiimote and a classic controller and a nunchuck so I'm now ready to play Wii games and the emulation is really good!
lazerbyte
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby FadedAreWii » 22 Dec 2012 02:00

To be expected. A large part of this industry can't seem to wait until Nintendo fails. Zombi U is a pretty awesome launch game and it's getting mixed reviews. Had it been for PS4 or MS' next system, it would have been the next best thing since sliced bread.

As for the screen on the pad sucking, I'd sure like some of whatever whoever was smoking, cause the screen is damn nice. I never feel like I'm missing out whenever I have to look at the pad instead of my 1080p t.v.

p.s. Launches for most systems suck game-wise, but I thought U's was pretty decent. Mario, Assassins CreedIII, Zombi U, Black Ops II, Tekken Tag II, and Ninja Gaiden III is a pretty decent launch alone, but you got other sleepers in there that are decent like Sonic Racing, Nintendo Land, etc.
Last edited by FadedAreWii on 22 Dec 2012 16:58, edited 2 times in total.
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Next

Return to WiiU / Wii