Wii U slow download fix?

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Wii U slow download fix?

Postby littleman00 » 05 Jan 2013 15:46

I've been trying to download Tekken Tag Tournament 2 from the Nintendo eShop for almost two days now. I don't know why it's going so slow. It can't possibly be Nintendo's servers because I was able to download Trine 2 just fine (that one took a while, too, but not almost 48 hours).

Before anyone suggests it might be my internet connection, it's not. I have my desktop PC connected to my router via WiFi and I downloaded Sleeping Dogs through Steam along with some DLC (roughly 8gb worth) in about an hour.

At first the Tekken download would just hang after about three hours, so I stopped the download, deleted the data, rebooted the Wii U, and tried again. This seemed to move slightly faster, so I left it downloading overnight. In the morning, I found that it had been stuck in the installing phase and wouldn't move past 20-something percent. So I deleted that and tried again. Now I'm downloading and it's at 37% AFTER 5 HOURS.

This is completely unacceptable. This is pretty much guaranteeing I won't be using the eShop ever, for anything, until this is resolved soon. I can understand it being launch weekend or something and hundreds of thousands of people slamming the servers at once. But it's been nearly a month and a half since the Wii U launched. Bandwidth issues like this shouldn't exist.
littleman00
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Wii: 1191-7958-9240-8048
XBL: shortman00

Re: Wii U slow download fix?

Postby bellboy » 05 Jan 2013 20:14

I'm pretty much with you for the time being at least. My internet is uncertain at the moment (wired connection fine, wi-fi wtf) but it took me four days to get the initial first update to unlock everything with it all going at the speed of a snail in honey and then at the end I got a critical error which required me to reboot my console and all progress kaput.
bellboy
Boo
Boo

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby Autosaver » 06 Jan 2013 01:18

Where is your router?

My router is in the basement and it downloads pretty fast.
Autosaver
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Autosaver

Postby littleman00 » 06 Jan 2013 01:56

Autosaver wrote:Where is your router?

My router is in the basement and it downloads pretty fast.

My router is right above me in my attic. If I were to measure from where the router is to where my Wii U is, it's about 12-15 feet. I know there can't be that much interference because I can go to my garage, which is technically two stories below my router, and I can still get a decent signal - good enough to watch 720p HD YouTube videos.

And as for my current problem, I left my place today with 30-something percent left in the download. The TIme Remaining said about 3 hours and 40-something minutes. I came back about 5 hours later and the download was at 98%. It took another 15 minutes to dl that last 2% and now it's doing the install, which it says will take almost 40 minutes (which also is atrociously too long. It's obviously not a server thing since the software is already on my system. Either it's Nintendo for making a broken-ass OS that takes forever to unpack, organize, and install a game, or it's Namco for not packaging this download more efficiently).

And another thing that recently came to mind. While downloading software, there's the option to auto-power down the system once the dl is complete. I selected that thinking that there should be a way to turn off the gamepad while the system itself is doing its thing. All I got was a screen telling me what Auto-power down was going to do and the spinning "Wait" symbol. It stayed like that the entire time. It didn't affect the download any, it just seems like such a waste that this 'background downloading' is taking up unnecessary amounts of power to keep the gamepad turned on when it's literally not doing anything.
littleman00
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Wii: 1191-7958-9240-8048
XBL: shortman00

Postby bomblord » 08 Jan 2013 01:11

My first suggestion is to attempt to get the wiiU closer to the router, but you claim it is already fairly close (your laptop signal to the router doesn't mean much because your laptop could have a better wifi card than the wiiU).

My suggestions in order are.
1. Reset your router go to wherever your router is and hit the reset button. If there is no reset button hold down the power button for 5-15 seconds. IF this doesn't work or if there is no power button unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in. Those steps should fix any random issues that can pop up from time to time in router connections.

2. Make sure UPNP is turned on in your router's settings. I can assist you with this or any of the later steps. If the first one doesn't work just respond and tell me and I'll attempt to guide you through it; if you know how to do it yourself go ahead.

3. If this doesn't work you'll need to set up a static IP for your wiiU and then open up the ports the wiiU uses. (you should be able to find documentation about the wiiU's internet ports on Nintendo's website)

4. If this doesn't work you'll want to put your wiiU outside your firewall, you still need to set up a static IP and then you need to go into your router's settings and put your wiiU's IP address.

The last step is only if the other ones do not work as it is dangerous to put your electronics outside your router's firewall. The reason is because it can open you up to common hacker attacks, but honestly you shouldn't worry about that too much as no one has even been able to completely hack the wiiU sitting in their house let alone over an internet connection, the chances of something happening there is slim to none.
bomblord
Shyguy
Shyguy

Return to WiiU / Wii