aliens: coloniel marines delayed, not made by gearbox

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: aliens: coloniel marines delayed, not made by gearbox

Postby Berrix » 04 Feb 2013 21:50

I would understand what you're saying, and on some points I can agree, but;

bfx9 wrote:I don't mean to come off negative.
there are many fools on this site who I consider Nintendo apologists.

This, being the first part of your response, isn't going to help you earn respect points on your case (and sounds like you came out at me with that, too). You are on a Nintendo-focused site, there is going to be fans of Nintendo here. Then followed up with this;

bfx9 wrote:lets look at the wii.
there maybe 20 really quality game titles. maybe less.
and there is hardly anything on wiiU
and the future is unknown. NSMBU was a wii game
basically. zombie U was a disappointment. Nintendo land was brilliant.
on the Xbox 360/PS3, there are hundreds of games rated 8-10 on metacritic
and game rankings. there is a much huger catalog
of quality games. all of the largest, most successful, talented and
famous studios are all developing for everything but Nintendo.
they are making so much money. the critic reviews, sales, popularity
and longevity speaks for itself.
not everybody is losing money like Nintendo. video games are making billions despite some middle class studios disbanding.
ubisoft, activision, valve, rock star, naughty dog, square, capcom, ea etc. among many others
have full support pledged but not to Nintendo.

Activision, EA, Ubisoft and Capcom are all loosing more money technically than Nintendo is currently at the time. Just cause the "select few" of the bigger names are earning money on a few franchises does not mean the game industry is in a stable state even on the "HD Twins" realm of the gaming world. It isn't, I'm developing games there and iOS and I can tell you how far it isn't. Often more and more gamers are finding their itch on many consoles now with the indie emergence of gaming, gaming which may or may not get shut down due to stronger development costs on once again tragically more powerful systems. The Game industry may be making billions, but it's at a similar cost to make them.

As for Wii "quality" games, there was by far more than 20, and not all of them were produced by Nintendo. During the generation of the Wii, Nintendo pumped out a mass amount of their games early on in it's lifespan to "attract the core gamer." Games like their Fire Emblem, Punch-Out, Sin & Punishment, "classic" 3D Mario platforming. They've been revisiting GCN games many players requested to come back with the "waggle" of motion attached after that with New Play Control series as well. All early on to a point -MOST- of this is tossed aside as "old news" or "poor selling" franchises. S&P as well as Punch-Out were demanded for for years throughout the GCN era and never got them, when Nintendo returned to it the demand changed to F-Zero and Star Fox. Not to mention games, hyped for their exclusive, and well received for their first iteration only to be tossed aside for their sequels going multi-plat. Games like De Blob and Epic Mickey, both now forgotten to time's weird way of handling good games. I can make a list of many many many that were well received on the Wii, but it's moot if we're going to sit here and argue numbers, I don't have a needy enough to ego scour the internet to nab numbers of 50+ just to prove a point.

Many of the metacritic stuff nowadays are currently hyperbole of a few franchises, a couple sites share a stigma against companies like Nintendo for not doing what they exactly want them to do. And it's not just Nintendo they do this to, either. Capcom has gotten that before, so has Square. Using those places tend to skew the way truly quality games are viewed. Many refer to sales numbers, which doesn't work. Final Fantasy is a prime example, while FF7 may be the most sold, many aged gamers can tell you the epitome was FF6. To use those to cement your stance is only saying what I've already said "multi-plats are going to sell on systems already sold." Smaller sales of CoD:BO2 on Wii U? Well yeah, it won't have the similar install base as the other 2, of course they're going to go that direction and skew it in favor of the other two... They have more who played it.

NSMBU being a Wii game can be said that the Wii version is practically the 3DS one. How is it practically a Wii game? Simple textures? Were you expecting some massive amount of levels? Were you expecting them to not do NSMB game at all? To point out what you think technically was or was not without reason makes it come off as some factual information, which can be debunked with a little research. ZombiU was purely a personal opinion state in the midst of it, as sales seem to dictate that many others don't consider it the same way you (and I) do. That'll be like me spouting off how disgusting Metroid Prime has been as a series, it's not factual, it my opinion. Come out next time why you feel that way so we'll discuss the next bout more than just an argument that would be on the same level of who's dad could beat up who's dad.

Now as for Nintendo "being Nintendo" from an earlier comment; I can agree to an extent, there is something missing in a few games I've played, but also find it in others. So unsure of what's genuinely going on. You cannot expect Nintendo to fill each of these other genres on their own, now the fund to support themselves or others doing it exclusively on the Wii U. And since Racing, Sports and above all FPS games are not my thing, guess this would exclude me from being a gamer then? Nintendo was never the leader of fighting games, Capcom was, second only to Midway at a time long long ago (which also goes against your "independent to the name" argument). And strategy games were -NEVER- fun on consoles, even SC64 bombed... And that was SC! Though if you look at Nintendo's official/unofficial games-in-development, we'll see this;

- Pikmin 3
- Wii Fit U
- Game & Wario
- New Mario Game
- New Mario Kart Game
- New Monolith Game
- Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensai
- Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- New Zelda Game
- Unannounced Retro Game
- Unannounced 1-Up Studios Game
- Smash Bros. 4
- Yarn Yoshi
- Unannounced HAL Laboratories Game

Those are the development teams working on something that we are aware of -RIGHT NOW-. Out of all those, and only focusing on Wii U games, there is 20% of their now-unified development teams unaccounted for. This could be the other teams working with "outside companies" to bring in new ideas or refresh older ones. What it is now, we do not know. Will you approve of them? We once again still do not know. There is also saying some of Monolith's team is also working on another project with said third parties. This can be very good if true, as that can lead to a Tri-Cresendo partnership again, potentially being Baten Kaitos. But immediately announcing all their ideas to the public is foolish for any company. Blizzard learned this as well ages ago, with their announcement of Titan and now everyone expects every new information is that particular game. Nintendo would be in the same hot bed. Sure currently we do not have the F-Zero, or Star Fox, or <insert random fan-favored game>, that doesn't mean no one is working on it.

Nintendo does take some odd stances, that I too can agree on. But some things they stand their ground on is admirable and I respect them more for it. The day I see games as a "byproduct" to an entertainment hub is also the day the game development companies do the same. With it, I would take my leave from gaming, as I don't want to be viewed as a consumer of "byproduct" of any form. Though the cloud gaming stance is sort of a confusing one, but I can't quite say myself (nor my dev team) has had any solidified opinion on it either, and we're working with Steam mostly. And their stance, either you agree or don't, on HDTVs with Wii was a smart one on their end. Financially HDTVs were never confirmed to be our industry standard when Nintendo made that decision (remember 80-dollar 6' HDMI cords when they first came out? I do), though it came at a harder price near the end of it's life it was still a smart one. With it's ease in development, and friendlier access from the consumer's point of view, they made a smash hit as far as consoles go. It wasn't until last year that the system got outsold by another. Which goes against what you've stated how AAA titles are determined by their sales, while disregarding the Wii's personal momentum as simply... Nothing.

Call me some kind of keyboard warrior, or fanboy of any kind if you please. However, coming to a site and disguising back-handed compliments on those who disagree with you on the way Nintendo runs things with judgmental assumptions. I enjoy Nintendo for Nintendo's games too, they have been the best I experienced in my life. So pardon me if I get excited for a game like Yarn Yoshi cause it gives me those Yoshi Story vibes. I love those type of games, MS rarely has them and I get lucky when Sony actually brings them stateside.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby bfx9 » 04 Feb 2013 22:09

fair enough. i retracted the 20 and i believe there are 50-60 quality games. i believe there are 20 AAA exclusive titles which would make more sense. i am constantly defending nintendo to gamestop employees and my friends who mindlessly bash the wii and wii U. they are young and ignorant and do not research factual information. they are at the beckon call of the media, the spike TV awards and who ever is paying for cardboard cutout advertisements at game stop (far cry and dead space 3 come to mind).

i love FF6 (III) a definitive NINTENDO experience from childhood if there every was one.

i believe NSMBU was a wii game that was moved to wiiU. there are nice parallax and scrolling backgrounds, but the game looks like a 720p wii game. there is some bump mapping, but it is very few and far between. i believe the game minus the gamepad features would have been very similar on wiiU. the game environment is structurally very similar. the art assets are similar. looking at pictures of all three in a magazine or on a PC (NSMBwii, NSMB 3D, NSMBWU) they all do look like siblings. i think a 3d mario will be a ground up experience. i think nintendo can reinvent the side scroller mario with full 3d models and environments, camera zooming in and out, huge environments, new animations, facial expressions etc.

anyway, i love nintendo. i love nintendo. we shouldn't have to defend it to the PS360 fanboys that constantly bash nintendo thought they have never touched a masterpiece like galaxy 2.
i would
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Berrix » 05 Feb 2013 05:18

See, now I'm starting to understand you. You're just going about gaming all wrong, my friend. First you need to get away from defending anything at a Gamestop, it's not going to work for you and is generally bad for your health. Often I see people who just get hired there eventually turn into Nintendo-hating machines due to needing the ability to discuss gaming to dude-bros. It's unhealthy state of mind, I've been down that road.

Final Fantasy 6 was definitive, indeed! However, it was Squaresoft, not Nintendo, who would be responsible for that. Sadly, the apples have fallen far from the tree for their franchises. I've all lost hope with them, honestly.

Now I can see what your saying about NSMBU, though I do not think it would been a Wii-transition you feel like it was. To me it felt like they wanted a classic Mario, and using simple textures they did great with it. Though yes, without the touch-pad there may not be much too different between U and Wii versions, but my experience was great no less. Not sure where you're getting that the game isn't using "full 3D models" in the game, I don't think much was using anything otherwise. If you are referring to more levels per world for larger environments, then I can agree on this as well, though making the levels themselves larger I don't think would be the better option. Though unsure what facial animations would improve the game much as you do not see much of the characters' faces during the time you play. Though that leaves plenty of room for improvement for their next one (if and when they do). Many options from Nintendo mentioned thinking of making a level editor, a nice idea to mull over if they were to continue to it.

And though I agree about having to defend Nintendo, though I would suggest to tell them to piss off if they truly desire to not experience great games Nintendo still makes. Though the tune would change instantaneously if the idea of Mario ever reached a Sony console even whimmed into their heads. It's all facade for most of those gentlemen, and is best to just ignore.

And yes, Mario Galaxy (both of them) were amazing games, I couldn't put either down till the main game was at least finished. Loved them.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby FadedAreWii » 05 Feb 2013 18:34

New Super Mario U wasn't a Wii game, that's just more troll talk. That type of game is simple and easier to make and not graphics intensive, therefor quicker development time and fans of that series don't give a crap about graphics, they give a crap about old-school Mario quick 2-D side-scrolling levels. You get all the crap you want in the new 3D Mario, where fans of that series care a little more about graphics.As for the amount of quality Wii games, that's pretty subjective and you can't give any definitive number that accounts for anyone but your own opinion, I'll just leave it at that.

Also, how exactly is Zombi U a disappointment? It's apparently sold well enough they just announced they are working on a patch, there has been talk of a sequel, and the game has the most popular 3rd party title miiverse community, probably top 3-5 overall, where people that actually bought and play the game are loving it. You spout out these negative false facts like they are true, yet you want us to believe you aren't here just to troll.

Oh, and your doing an awesome job continuing to compare two systems' libraries to one systems. That's awesome logic ya got there. More realistically, PS3 owners have a Wii, 360 owners have a Wii, and less have both a 360 and PS3, so your arguments should be Wii/PS3 Vs 360 or PS3 vs 360/Wii. Won't even get into 360/PS3 vs Wii U, lol.
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Postby bfx9 » 05 Feb 2013 23:36

cool beans berrix. you are a sensible Nintendo fan
who makes an effort to be accurate. when I said 3d models I implied
that they make Mario larger and more lifelike with more animation.
that would be a nice next gen twist. but again, the game
is a classic Arcady platformer that probably wouldn't benefit gameplay wise.

faded. I do believe NSMBU would be done on wii with excellent results.
no I don't know if it was originally developed or wii and yes I concede
there would be omissions. but the core style, visuals and mechanics would look
good on wii. it's not like they changed the color palette or used high Rez shaders and textures
on NSMBU. the map is interconnected. the game is not much different looking and plays identically.

yes I shouldn't compare both libraries to wii's, but there are many many hardcore, quality third party games on the 360 that we could benefit from.
and since every developer in the world makes games for it, there are 200 plus games rated 7.5 or higher.
I would like Nintendo to have all those hardcore games like the SNES did.
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Sammet » 06 Feb 2013 06:06

What's a hardcore game and what isn't?

And when was the last time someone mentioned Aliens?
PM me and I'll add you to my 3DS - feel free to add my NNID for WiiU too!
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Samwiise
3DS: 0817-3844-7533
Wii: 6169 7599 9537 5328

Postby Koopzilla » 06 Feb 2013 06:41

Sammet wrote:What's a hardcore game and what isn't?

"Hardcore" is the most ridiculous thing to come out of these past couple hardware generations. Nobody has a clear answer for what it even means. I think most peoples idea of hardcore means lots of guns, blood, violence, explosions, etc. I own 19 game systems, and over 600 games, I've been playing games for at least 29 years, and I spend a lot of time just learning about the history of games and obscure games and such, but I don't play FPS's or Grand Theft Auto, so apparently I wouldn't be considered a hardcore gamer by most people. On the other hand someone that has been playing for 5 years and only plays Call of Duty is hardcore. I don't have a problem if you like those types of games, but why would that make you more harcore than me (not that I would care about that either). Something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't considered hardcore, but the last star is something that takes some mad skills and pretty flawless execution to get. Tetris wouldn't be considered hardcore but it gets pretty damn hardcore when you get on the higher levels. Personally I would say you could be considered hardcore at any game depending on how much time you put into it and how good you are at it, even if it's about a cute hamster trying to get hugs from adorable rabbits. Why is it that other forms of media don't have this strange distinction. Such as movies, if you are a huge movie buff and spend enormous amounts of time watching and learning about movies, but don't like Michael Bay movies, someone wouldn't claim that you aren't hardcore, why does this only apply to games?
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby Sammet » 06 Feb 2013 08:04

I totally agree Koopzilla (I was being rhetorical before). It's a meaningless phrase to me.
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby bfx9 » 06 Feb 2013 22:42

Mario galaxy is hardcore.
as is bomber man and teenage mutant ninja turtles on snes.

gamers games. hardcore. same to me.
I'm a hardcore gamer since 85'
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Berrix » 07 Feb 2013 00:37

Sammet wrote:I totally agree Koopzilla (I was being rhetorical before). It's a meaningless phrase to me.

To me "Hardcore" was (and always has been) a term for those games that were geared specifically to a group of fans. Not something gauged off of difficulty or perception. Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum are hardcore, as they do not serve a purpose well to any normal gamer, let alone many fans of Nintendo games in general, and not to -ALL- Pokemon fans. That game is geared to the hardcore fans of Pokemon, the hardcore gamer of all things Pokemon. It, in my eyes, is the true hardcore game. But sadly, the term hardcore seems to be as grey as the "AAA" title phrase. Where one end someone claims F-Zero is a "AAA" title, while Pikmin is not. Another would say the opposite.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 07 Feb 2013 02:47

To comment on the actual topic at hand. There is a lot of walls of text here, and I know I am contributing to that with my post, but I have not gone through a lot of the posts, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.... But is the Wii U version actually delayed or is this just something that is trying to stir up a ruckus.

To the contribution of the "Hardcore games/gamer" topic: In my opinion there is no such thing as a hardcore game. However there is a such thing as a hardcore gamer. In my opinion hardcore gamers are the kind of gamers that enjoy relatively all things gaming. They don't restrict themselves to only enjoying one genre or one companies offerings. They just have a love for gaming as a whole, and will enjoy relatively anything that has been really well designed (with a few exceptions)

Regular gamers, in my mind, love to game but have a select few kind of things that they enjoy playing.

Casual gamers, in my opinion, are gamers that don't really consider themselves to be so. They only play games in bite sized portions and primarily play facebook or mobile type games.

So when I see someone who plays only Call of Duty try to call themselves a hardcore gamer, and say that people who play anything else isn't....I look at that person, and know that they truly don't have an appreciation for gaming as a whole which would not make them a hardcore gamer.
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Postby Sammet » 07 Feb 2013 06:05

Berrix, couldn't you just use the word niche? I don't remember Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum being described as hardcore at the time - it's more something that's crept into the general public's lexicon recently with the rise of marketing speak (this includes AAA) - hardcore vs casual markets etc.

BC - I've seen several sites saying that it's coming out end of March - GAF saying it's early/mid April, based on Amazon Germany release date. (plus I think your description is the probably the most fitting)
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby gtt » 07 Feb 2013 19:44

I wonder how delayed this title will be? or if it will even come out on the system.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby FadedAreWii » 07 Feb 2013 20:03

bfx9 wrote:faded. I do believe NSMBU would be done on wii with excellent results.
no I don't know if it was originally developed or wii and yes I concede
there would be omissions. but the core style, visuals and mechanics would look
good on wii.

So what? It could be done on the DS with omissions and look good. It could be done on the SNES as a new VC title with omissions and fans would still buy the hell out of it because no one cares about graphics when it comes to this version of Mario. Nintendo doesn't have to update any graphics at all, ever, for this series and mostly no one would care. I don't see what your point is.

Broken_Cartridge wrote: But is the Wii U version actually delayed or is this just something that is trying to stir up a ruckus.

The last one.

As for Aliens, it seemed like the Wii U version actually had quite a bit of hype for it, so it would be dumb to pull a Ubisoft, but everyone seems ready to dump the system because it didn't sell like Wii and doesn't have an instantly huge install base, and I bet it comes back to bite them in the ass yet again, so, in other words, I wouldn't be surprised if something happens.
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Postby tendoboy1984 » 07 Feb 2013 23:39

bfx9 wrote:ok maybe 50-60.
I was talking about games rated 9-10 by
consensus and not multiolatform games like guitar hero.

You expect the Wii U to have hundreds of quality games on it when it's only been out for 3 months? The Xbox 360 and PS3 took years to get to where they are now with 3rd-party games and support. It doesn't happen overnight.

Does no one remember all the "PS3 is an overpriced piece of junk that's only good for Blu-Ray movies" articles that popped up back in 2006-2007? Does no one remember the "$599 US dollars" crap that Sony pulled at E3 2006?
I don't want an "all-in-one" multimedia system. I want a GAME console. ~ (me after the Xbox One reveal)
tendoboy1984
Boo
Boo

3DS: 4597-0176-3500
Wii: 5519-8046-0668-6068
PSN: PS_Man1984

Postby bfx9 » 08 Feb 2013 00:14

@faded. yes graphics don't matter. the 2d mario will sell no matter what. Nintendo as you said "doesn't have to update it"
and that is the problem IMO. I think they have hit a wall creatively.
you seem to ignore the fact that this "NEW" super mario brothers U is
akin to "NEW" super Mario brothers wii and the 3DS version.
They are part of the "NEW" series and you question why I say they are redundant.

from super Mario bros, to Mario 2, Mario 3 to super Mario land etc there
were drastic changes in gameplay and art style.

art style and gameplay get revamped from game to game and therefore system to system.

there was no such revamping from wii to wiiU with mario.
that is unusual and not like Nintendo. it could be for financial reasons/fiscal safety
instead of the artist trying to connect with people emotionally.

@ tendoboy. I expect the wii U to follow a similar path like wii. so I expect a similar
amount of games and perhaps less because I believe wii U is a 50-60 million seller unlike the 100 million wii
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby phantomliger89 » 08 Feb 2013 18:51

I dont think review scores should necessarily translate to the quality games. There are many games that even get lets say 6's, and these are great enjoyable quality games.

But I guess thats my opinion. :)
phantomliger89
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: phantomliger
3DS: 0473-7879-6487
Wii: 9005-6150-9645-0152

Postby bfx9 » 09 Feb 2013 02:13

yes. true. there are some exceptions. but it's hard to argue
with a game like mass effect or dark souls where 75 reviewers all agree.

there ar exceptions and rules.
zombie U was a rushed launch game with mixed reviews. it had problems.
the reviews all had merit. and the 6 average made sense.
not to say the game isn't a solid 7-8 to fans if that genre, cause
some people will love zombie u.

reviews aside. there are many more quality games for Xbox and ps3 because everybody in the world
is develooing for them. unless you think Nintendo makes the only quality games and every other developer on earth sucks, you can't not see this.

there are way more games on each the ps3 gand 360 (taking out the cash cow wii shovel wear). so by default, you will
have more AAA titles. a decent percentage of wii games are shovel.
that's not a knock. the wii had some of the best games this gen.
there are just way more and varied, big budget, high selling, highly reviewed, more popular, high profile games
on ps3 and 360 from the sports, racing, RPG, fighting, MmoRPG and FPS genres.

everyone knows this. the reviews just reflect reality of
the hundreds of mature gamers games on PS3, PC and 360.

it's not like the wii was the best game system ever.
more like the most hated ever actually.

we nintendo fans are dying. the wii u is flopping.
we are a niche.

Microsoft, Sony and PC gamings is just bigger and better
in America. that's reality for kids today. that's what the media thinks.

we are a niche.
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Berrix » 09 Feb 2013 02:28

Sammet wrote:Berrix, couldn't you just use the word niche? I don't remember Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum being described as hardcore at the time - it's more something that's crept into the general public's lexicon recently with the rise of marketing speak (this includes AAA) - hardcore vs casual markets etc.

Niche, AAA, Hardcore, Casual... These are the current buzzwords slung around now like this is congress of of gaming. All of which have done lost their meaning to the general gaming public and are used to boost one's ego and slash another's.

Seriously, when was a game devoted to those who were geared devotedly to that particular franchise considered niche? Music and Books are completely the opposite of that. With that mentality one could argue if SSB is niche considering many buy consoles solely for the game. But it isn't. It's just all lost it's luster and became buzzwords. Like "kiddie" (UUUUUGGGGHH) was in the GCN era.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby bfx9 » 09 Feb 2013 02:37

I agree.
who cares about labels?
I use them anyway. taking about there merit is useless because
the media has accepted them as gospel.
sales tell a true story. quality games rise to the top.
every one knows mario galaxy is AAA, unless you never played it or
you are lying. same for a ton of other games.

the info is out there. we jut have to be open minded. you know what's good and what's not.
it's very black and white. a well made game is black or white.

you can give me a game title and I already know if it's junk whether I played it or not.
based on consumer feedback, word of mouth, reviews, sales.

ok......Starcraft PC good.
cabellas hunt ps3 bad.
demons souls good
the Incredible Hulk wii bad.

it's so easy.
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby JD » 09 Feb 2013 02:47

Koopzilla wrote:
Sammet wrote:What's a hardcore game and what isn't?

"Hardcore" is the most ridiculous thing to come out of these past couple hardware generations. Nobody has a clear answer for what it even means. I think most peoples idea of hardcore means lots of guns, blood, violence, explosions, etc. I own 19 game systems, and over 600 games, I've been playing games for at least 29 years, and I spend a lot of time just learning about the history of games and obscure games and such, but I don't play FPS's or Grand Theft Auto, so apparently I wouldn't be considered a hardcore gamer by most people. On the other hand someone that has been playing for 5 years and only plays Call of Duty is hardcore. I don't have a problem if you like those types of games, but why would that make you more harcore than me (not that I would care about that either). Something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't considered hardcore, but the last star is something that takes some mad skills and pretty flawless execution to get. Tetris wouldn't be considered hardcore but it gets pretty damn hardcore when you get on the higher levels. Personally I would say you could be considered hardcore at any game depending on how much time you put into it and how good you are at it, even if it's about a cute hamster trying to get hugs from adorable rabbits. Why is it that other forms of media don't have this strange distinction. Such as movies, if you are a huge movie buff and spend enormous amounts of time watching and learning about movies, but don't like Michael Bay movies, someone wouldn't claim that you aren't hardcore, why does this only apply to games?

I've always believed "hardcore" was meant to be synonymous with the term "bad-ass"; as in, something meant to make a player feel... how would I use this properly? Machismo? You know...

stereotypic masculinity: an exaggerated sense or display of masculinity, emphasizing characteristics that are conventionally regarded as typically male, usually physical strength and courage, aggressiveness, and lack of emotional response. (quoted from a dictionary definition)

No one divides movies into hardcore and casual because you can't feel bad-ass watching a movie; after all, it's the hero on the screen blowing things up and killing people. But make a game where you play the hero, and suddenly you are the one blowing things up and killing people. That kind of stuff makes a "bro-core" feel all bad-ass, and that's what leads them to define it as a hardcore game.

Of course, as far as the bro-cores are concerned, there's noting machismo about chasing stars around rainbow filled skies, hence something like Mario can't possibly be hardcore.
JD
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: J.D.

Postby AlexBryer » 10 Feb 2013 16:00

So you aren't including multi-platform games in the Nintendo list? How many of those "hundreds" of 9+ rated PS3/360 are multi-platform?
AlexBryer
Fairy
Fairy

Postby bfx9 » 11 Feb 2013 16:08

the point is, those multi platform games on the HD twins are mostly not on wii.
you can't fault a great RPG like fallout because its on both ps360.
I'm talking muktiplatform games that appear on all three which generally suck.
be glad I don't include these for wii or ps360, because these games generally score worse on wii (transformers, madden etc).
dude. there ten times the amount of games rated 7.5 to 10
on the 360 than the wii. everyone knows this.
there is a reason why the 360 won the gamers this gen (not sales, just quality)
both 360 and wii had over 500 games. the percentage of shovel wear
on wii dwarfs the 360's.
so even if the systems were equal in quality and capability,
do the math. 75% of the wiis library were fly by night
iPhone app studios and shovel. it was this gens ps2, but way less
AAA titles.

anyway alien c marines sucks. the initial reviews are 4-5's.
the big reviews will be the same.
everyone who followed the game knows this.
this is no surprise. it's a bad game. worse than cabellas dear hunter.
so no used waiting for a crap game anyway.
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby ddddd » 11 Feb 2013 16:46

Maybe the port not being made by Gearbox is a plus after the early reviews of the game? :angel:

And surprise: Gearbox didnt make the main game either http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512813
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby TopCat » 12 Feb 2013 06:12

ddddd wrote:Maybe the port not being made by Gearbox is a plus after the early reviews of the game? :angel:

And surprise: Gearbox didnt make the main game either http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512813

I was just about to post the news about GB not making the single player game... LOL.. Talk about a screw up. Many ppl wanted to buy the game because it was being made by GB and now we learn that only the MP portion of the game was made by them... LOL... No wonder the game's been getting bad reviews.
TopCat
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Previous

Return to WiiU / Wii