Wii U - the infinite thread of doom and disgruntlement

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: Wii U - the infinite thread of doom and disgruntlement

Postby Devil_Rising » 23 Jul 2013 02:08

Many devs, mainly indy devs with far less resources, have repeatedly claimed how easy it was to develop for Wii U. They could've released SCIIHD on Wii U eShop only for very little. You can either argue that Wii U needs more support, or come up with a steady stream of excuses why 3rd party publishers shouldn't bother. Doing both is counter-productive.
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby ddddd » 23 Jul 2013 05:41

Devil_Rising wrote:Many devs, mainly indy devs with far less resources, have repeatedly claimed how easy it was to develop for Wii U. They could've released SCIIHD on Wii U eShop only for very little.

Except that we know thanks to ShinEn, and lovely insiders, that existing engines have to be modified to run properly on Wii U. This shouldn't even have to be explained at this point, it takes time and resources to get engines fully optimized for any new hardware.
Namco can't possibly be a hater, they released exclusives on Wii U and 3DS, VC games, they are working on freaking Smash Brothers.
All of this happens because many publishers do a simple "sales potential vs costs of the porting job" math (the ones that don't have prejudices towards the Nintendo market that is). When these publishers see that they won't lose money on their ports anymore, then the porting itself will no longer be a problem.

This is unless SCIIHD is actually using the same engine as Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which is already running on Wii U and shouldn't have any extra costs.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby Jack_Atlas » 23 Jul 2013 06:24

ddddd wrote:
Devil_Rising wrote:Many devs, mainly indy devs with far less resources, have repeatedly claimed how easy it was to develop for Wii U. They could've released SCIIHD on Wii U eShop only for very little.

Except that we know thanks to ShinEn, and lovely insiders, that existing engines have to be modified to run properly on Wii U. This shouldn't even have to be explained at this point, it takes time and resources to get engines fully optimized for any new hardware.
Namco can't possibly be a hater, they released exclusives on Wii U and 3DS, VC games, they are working on freaking Smash Brothers.
All of this happens because many publishers do a simple "sales potential vs costs of the porting job" math (the ones that don't have prejudices towards the Nintendo market that is). When these publishers see that they won't lose money on their ports anymore, then the porting itself will no longer be a problem.

This is unless SCIIHD is actually using the same engine as Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which is already running on Wii U and shouldn't have any extra costs.

It's been confirmed that it's a port of the PS2 game with HD and online added on. There should not be an entirely new engine created for a HD remaster of a 10 year old game.

When you point out "developer of Super Smash Bros." and the the fact getting Spawn and Link, maybe even potentially redesigning him for whatever reasons. Costs more in the long term from the business side of developing this game. You even further destroy your argument by using Tekken Tag Tournament 2, a fairly recent game that released on every console to a game that can be emulated on a Wii U Gamecube Virtual Console and have off screen play.
Jack_Atlas
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: MMXZero
3DS: 1805-2179-8194

Postby J0RdAnN » 23 Jul 2013 08:17

Heres a thought maybe instead of getting all the HD remakes we just get Virtual Console versions of games.
This is like Castle of Illusion HD. It makes perfect sense to have the game available on the eShop and yet it hits everything but WiiU.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby ddddd » 23 Jul 2013 11:39

Jack_Atlas wrote:It's been confirmed that it's a port of the PS2 game with HD and online added on. There should not be an entirely new engine created for a HD remaster of a 10 year old game.

When you point out "developer of Super Smash Bros." and the the fact getting Spawn and Link, maybe even potentially redesigning him for whatever reasons. Costs more in the long term from the business side of developing this game. You even further destroy your argument by using Tekken Tag Tournament 2, a fairly recent game that released on every console to a game that can be emulated on a Wii U Gamecube Virtual Console and have off screen play.

It doesnt matter if the game was on PS2 and got upscaled, it runs on an engine and has to be adapted to the new console, there is no exception to this. So they ported a different game at launch? They obviously thought it was a good idea at the time, the game is semi exclusive too.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby Rurouni720 » 23 Jul 2013 12:27

Hey hey, does anyone here know how much Revelations HD sold on all three consoles combined from it's NPD numbers?

ddddd wrote:
Jack_Atlas wrote:It's been confirmed that it's a port of the PS2 game with HD and online added on. There should not be an entirely new engine created for a HD remaster of a 10 year old game.

It doesnt matter if the game was on PS2 and got upscaled, it runs on an engine and has to be adapted to the new console, there is no exception to this. So they ported a different game at launch? They obviously thought it was a good idea at the time, the game is semi exclusive too.

Big difference is he was talking about a "new engine" required for an HD release, not the old engine from the 6th gen era that isn't impossible at all to optimize on new hardware, however i agree that an engine does have to be adapted for different hardware (depending on which one) to have it run well. Whether one's powerful or not is a different case, but if we look at how the HD collections of Jak & Daxter 1-3 performed on Vita then.....mhm.
Rurouni720
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Rurouni720
3DS: 4511-0918-1595
PSN: Fullmatrix09

Postby gbpackers31 » 23 Jul 2013 12:58

Rurouni720 wrote:Hey hey, does anyone here know how much Revelations HD sold on all three consoles combined from it's NPD numbers?

I think all we have are the May numbers from when it came out. It sold less than 60k totally across all 3 consoles. I can't imagine it doing that well in June.
gbpackers31
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Rurouni720 » 23 Jul 2013 16:16

gbpackers31 wrote:
Rurouni720 wrote:Hey hey, does anyone here know how much Revelations HD sold on all three consoles combined from it's NPD numbers?

I think all we have are the May numbers from when it came out. It sold less than 60k totally across all 3 consoles. I can't imagine it doing that well in June.

Ouch. :shock: Is that better or worse than how the 3DS version fared in NPD numbers?
Rurouni720
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Rurouni720
3DS: 4511-0918-1595
PSN: Fullmatrix09

Postby Berrix » 23 Jul 2013 16:44

Rurouni720 wrote:Ouch. :shock: Is that better or worse than how the 3DS version fared in NPD numbers?

Worse, but obviously suspected by the gaming majority. Piss and moan about not having a GOOD RE game on a home console and proceed to ignore its release... Shocker.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby Jack_Atlas » 24 Jul 2013 08:29

ddddd wrote:

That's not what I said, not even close.

Pretty sure everyone gets that games run on engines. It's probably a reason you'll see people bitch, whine, moan and complain whenever Nintendo releases a Virtual Console game on the Wii, 3DS and Wii U.
Jack_Atlas
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: MMXZero
3DS: 1805-2179-8194

Postby Darmani » 24 Jul 2013 12:42

So...
Nintendo and Japanese Independents.

I mean, uhm, I think they aren't in the position to reject anyone at this point. If they fear developing a reputation a *slightly* more screening process for japanese folks seems better than out and out rejection. But then.. maybe Nintendo is trying so hard to be "internationally appealing" they're vaunted changes are more to make inroads to western markets.
Darmani
Fairy
Fairy

Postby KingBroly » 24 Jul 2013 14:39

Darmani wrote:So...
Nintendo and Japanese Independents.

I mean, uhm, I think they aren't in the position to reject anyone at this point. If they fear developing a reputation a *slightly* more screening process for japanese folks seems better than out and out rejection. But then.. maybe Nintendo is trying so hard to be "internationally appealing" they're vaunted changes are more to make inroads to western markets.

What indie games dominate Japan though?
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
My Alternate Account is Cortjezter
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby Darmani » 24 Jul 2013 16:49

I don't know what's going on, so am asking.
Darmani
Fairy
Fairy

Postby FadedAreWii » 24 Jul 2013 18:45

I'm sure it's nothing. Nintendo likely has, or will have a separate thing for Japan.
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Postby gatorboi352 » 28 Jul 2013 23:26

Its probably too late by now, but Nintendo should have packed in a Wii Motion Plus remote with every console.

They need to find ways to get the Wiimote more integrated with Wii U. 100% of that Wii U OS should work with the Wiimote. Why is the Gamepad REQUIRED to browse the eShop? Every wall must be broken down between the Wii U and the "casual Wii crowd".

Also needs to happen: ditch the 8GB model, offer the Deluxe in White and Black, and make it $300 before November.
gatorboi352
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gatorboi352
Wii: 6358 4960 5851 8155

Postby FadedAreWii » 29 Jul 2013 01:38

Drop price day and date of other systems. No later, no sooner. Also wouldn't be smart to ditch the 8gb rather than having a $250 system on the shelf.
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Postby KingBroly » 29 Jul 2013 04:53

gatorboi352 wrote:Its probably too late by now, but Nintendo should have packed in a Wii Motion Plus remote with every console.

They need to find ways to get the Wiimote more integrated with Wii U. 100% of that Wii U OS should work with the Wiimote. Why is the Gamepad REQUIRED to browse the eShop? Every wall must be broken down between the Wii U and the "casual Wii crowd".

Also needs to happen: ditch the 8GB model, offer the Deluxe in White and Black, and make it $300 before November.

The 8gb model has been ditched. Don't believe Nintendo on this one. It's done.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby ddddd » 29 Jul 2013 05:42

gatorboi352 wrote:Its probably too late by now, but Nintendo should have packed in a Wii Motion Plus remote with every console.

Every menu in the OS should work with Wii Remotes and Pro Controllers, but not poorly like they do now. Text imput is terrible with the Pro, not because the controller cannot handle it, sticks and buttons that could do some functions (like they do on the gamepad: right stick to navigate the text, Y to space) are unused, also Id like to see character imput be done through the left stick hand cursor that is on other parts of OS, using the dpad to move around the keyboard is annoying.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby KingBroly » 29 Jul 2013 06:26

I take it you've never navigated an on-screen 360 or PS3 keyboard, have you? Because they work exactly like they do on Wii U. 1 space at a time. Although I admit that not having a dedicated back/space button is a bit annoying.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby ddddd » 29 Jul 2013 11:43

KingBroly wrote:I take it you've never navigated an on-screen 360 or PS3 keyboard, have you? Because they work exactly like they do on Wii U. 1 space at a time. Although I admit that not having a dedicated back/space button is a bit annoying.

WiiU's Pro Controller uses a hand cursor, like the Wii Remote's pointer controls, on some menus. Why not apply that to the text imput for consistency and convenience?
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby KingBroly » 29 Jul 2013 12:54

ddddd wrote:
KingBroly wrote:I take it you've never navigated an on-screen 360 or PS3 keyboard, have you? Because they work exactly like they do on Wii U. 1 space at a time. Although I admit that not having a dedicated back/space button is a bit annoying.

WiiU's Pro Controller uses a hand cursor, like the Wii Remote's pointer controls, on some menus. Why not apply that to the text imput for consistency and convenience?

That'd be nice. They might add it in later patches, but who knows.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby 8 bit » 29 Jul 2013 13:32

gatorboi352 wrote:Also needs to happen: ditch the 8GB model, offer the Deluxe in White and Black, and make it $300 before November.

From what Iwata's been saying lately, a price cut doesn't seem to be on their plans.

My guess is they'll have new bundles for the holidays to boost sales, the price staying the same but adding a game (and maybe eShop credit?), NSMB U if I have to guess and maybe one of the upcoming games in a different bundle.

That's my prediction.
8 bit
Toad
Toad

Postby ZSaberLink » 29 Jul 2013 17:16

ddddd wrote:
TheDreamingHawk wrote:I will say this again... HOW is porting between 360 and PS3 seemingly SO EASY fot Developers, but doing it for wii U is not?

Because the Wii U hardware is not like the PS360, which they have been working on for like a decade.

The WIi U hardware is remarkably like the 360, unlike the PS3. However, they've been working on PS360 cross-platform games forever. The fact is they'd have to put in some (reasonable) effort to port to Wii U, and to them there aren't enough consoles to make that worthwhile.

Also, to whoever said about the PS4's 8GB of RAM, apparently something like 3.5 GB is reserved for the OS FYI. We'll only be able to tell what the hardware is capable of once it's in developers' hands.
My Video Games Blog: http://zsaberlink.wordpress.com
ZSaberLink
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby Cassidy » 29 Jul 2013 20:01

I'm shocked no one posted this yet:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/42 ... i-u-stock/

Here's hoping a resolve is made quickly.
Cassidy
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: KingCassidy
3DS: 4854-6597-5917
Steam ID: Morbid Safety
XBL: ThisIsACassidy

Postby ddddd » 29 Jul 2013 20:54

ZSaberLink wrote:
ddddd wrote:
TheDreamingHawk wrote:I will say this again... HOW is porting between 360 and PS3 seemingly SO EASY fot Developers, but doing it for wii U is not?

Because the Wii U hardware is not like the PS360, which they have been working on for like a decade.

The WIi U hardware is remarkably like the 360, unlike the PS3. However, they've been working on PS360 cross-platform games forever. The fact is they'd have to put in some (reasonable) effort to port to Wii U, and to them there aren't enough consoles to make that worthwhile.

Same architecture, but not the same components. CPU and GPU are different, and Wii U has extra dedicated chips that 360 doesn't have.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to WiiU / Wii