The new "indie dev-friendly" Nintendo

Everything about the Wii and its games...

The new "indie dev-friendly" Nintendo

Postby shadowbuster » 28 Mar 2013 13:41

Nintendo, over the course of the years (decades?) had trouble getting 3rd party games to their consoles. So, in response of the big 3rd party devs denials of putting software on a Nintendo console, the Big N decided to go "the mobile way" by designing a framework that can get all, if not most, the small and medium devs projects that are played on mobile hardware or the web.

With the Nintendo Web Framework, and the changes in the policy of publishing indie games, the smaller devs now have no excuses in not making or porting their games (unless they don't know the technologies involved) for the Wii U. Some might say: "well the html5 games work well on the Wii U browser". That might be true, but the NWF makes these web based games fully compatible with the console's features and capabilities.

I think that this is the best move Nintendo has made in a while to attract developers. The Wii U need games to sell, and since the biggies are not doing anything to support it, then whats left is the independent ones. Nintendo also learned the hard way on how to handle independent games because of the Wiiware. The Wiiware was a failure to me: too many restrictions, file size limits, concept approvals, etc. But that is now a thing in the past.

There are two things that I wanna know about the NWF
1. Will the 3DS support it?
2. How will the multi-touch games work on the gamepad's resistive touchscreen?

What do you guys think about this?
Please support my friend's spanish Nintendo site NintenDominante, on Facebook and Twitter, for the latest Nintendo News in spanish!
shadowbuster
Boo
Boo

NN ID: master-jfd
3DS: 4167 4910 9302
Steam ID: shadowjfd
PSN: shadowjfd

Re: The new "indie dev-friendly" Nintendo

Postby NightsOwl » 28 Mar 2013 18:04

I can't really comment on question one. But for question two, I'd bet it wouldn't take much reworking to easily map the functions to buttons instead of multi-touch.
Rhythm Game fanatic. DJMax, Taiko no Tatsujin, DDR, Rockband, Guitar Hero, Rhythm Heaven, Beatmania, and Pop n' Music. Amazing.
NightsOwl
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: Nights0wl
3DS: 0404-6041-2332

Postby thresholdXCI » 28 Mar 2013 21:41

NightsOwl wrote:I can't really comment on question one. But for question two, I'd bet it wouldn't take much reworking to easily map the functions to buttons instead of multi-touch.

Yeah, most games I've played that use multi-touch seem to do so to compensate for a lack of buttons/ sticks anyway. About the NWF in general I'm no expert in how it all works, but more options and support for developers is always good. Especially when it comes to smaller, independent teams.
thresholdXCI
Site Mod
Site Mod

Wii: 4073 2409 9869 0324
PSN: jw_XCI

Postby VinceFox » 28 Mar 2013 23:06

Now if Nintendo would convince Blip tv to make a frigging app for the Wii U
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RetroToonMaster
3DS: 3351-4181-1924
PSN: RetroToonFan

Postby gtt » 28 Mar 2013 23:42

1. no reason it couldn't.
2. buttons. control remapping shouldn't be that hard.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby Devil_Rising » 29 Mar 2013 01:55

VinceFox wrote:Now if Nintendo would convince Blip tv to make a frigging app for the Wii U

.........why?
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby VinceFox » 29 Mar 2013 20:21

Devil_Rising wrote:
VinceFox wrote:Now if Nintendo would convince Blip tv to make a frigging app for the Wii U

.........why?

because Blip's website doesn't have HTML5 support that's why
VinceFox
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: RetroToonMaster
3DS: 3351-4181-1924
PSN: RetroToonFan

Postby tendoboy1984 » 30 Mar 2013 05:40

I for one am very surprised and relieved that Nintendo is being so supportive of indie developers. I wonder what changed Dan Adleman's mind on the matter. (He's the guy in charge of Nintendo's digital distribution services and 3rd-party relations)

Between Nintendo and Sony, indie developers have a good way to get their games noticed on mainstream consoles.
I don't want an "all-in-one" multimedia system. I want a GAME console. ~ (me after the Xbox One reveal)
tendoboy1984
Boo
Boo

3DS: 4597-0176-3500
Wii: 5519-8046-0668-6068
PSN: PS_Man1984

Postby Elfteiroh » 30 Mar 2013 13:25

gtt wrote:1. no reason it couldn't.

In fact, there is a lot of reasons it couldn't. They didn't build the hardware, nor the OS with this in mind, while they did have it in mind while doing the WiiU, so it could be a lot harder to implement on the 3DS. I wouldn't hold my breath on that possibility before we get an official answer on that question (if the journalists are good, it shouldn't take long before one ask this).
I love Shy Guys... If only I could stay one...
[ ƒranz (note the weird "ƒ", the seal of TRUTH) on the 3DS FriendList!]
Elfteiroh
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Elfteiroh
3DS: 4425-1469-3163
Steam ID: Elfteiroh
PSN: Elfteiroh

Postby gtt » 30 Mar 2013 14:15

Elfteiroh wrote:

In fact, there is a lot of reasons it couldn't. They didn't build the hardware, nor the OS with this in mind, while they did have it in mind while doing the WiiU, so it could be a lot harder to implement on the 3DS. I wouldn't hold my breath on that possibility before we get an official answer on that question (if the journalists are good, it shouldn't take long before one ask this).

lol, you don't need to build hardware with javascript and html5 in mind. all they would have to do is release an sdk for the 3ds version.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby shadowbuster » 30 Mar 2013 18:15

gtt wrote:
Elfteiroh wrote:

lol, you don't need to build hardware with javascript and html5 in mind. all they would have to do is release an sdk for the 3ds version.

exactly, JS has been around since 1995, so, theres no way the 3ds hardware wouldn't support it. What it needs is a new or updated browser
Please support my friend's spanish Nintendo site NintenDominante, on Facebook and Twitter, for the latest Nintendo News in spanish!
shadowbuster
Boo
Boo

NN ID: master-jfd
3DS: 4167 4910 9302
Steam ID: shadowjfd
PSN: shadowjfd

Postby pokemaster515 » 30 Mar 2013 18:29

tendoboy1984 wrote: I wonder what changed Dan Adleman's mind on the matter. (He's the guy in charge of Nintendo's digital distribution services and 3rd-party relations)

Maybe it was this:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=106592&p=779870&hilit=developers#p779870 (I'm half joking)

Anyway, I don't personally care too much about this new direction but the more games the better I guess. Really I'm just waiting for Nintendo to finally get their first-party games out, that's what I bought my Wii U for. 8)
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby gtt » 30 Mar 2013 20:42

tendoboy1984 wrote:I for one am very surprised and relieved that Nintendo is being so supportive of indie developers. I wonder what changed Dan Adleman's mind on the matter. (He's the guy in charge of Nintendo's digital distribution services and 3rd-party relations)

Between Nintendo and Sony, indie developers have a good way to get their games noticed on mainstream consoles.

what changed his mind? probably nothing, this is probably stuff he's been wanting do to forever. they aren't blind in redmond. They can look down the street and see steam. they know what gamers want. their fight is with japan. they have to get japan to approve all this stuff. and that's the hard part. the guys in charge in kyoto are clueless.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby KingBroly » 30 Mar 2013 21:07

gtt wrote:
tendoboy1984 wrote:I for one am very surprised and relieved that Nintendo is being so supportive of indie developers. I wonder what changed Dan Adleman's mind on the matter. (He's the guy in charge of Nintendo's digital distribution services and 3rd-party relations)

what changed his mind? probably nothing, this is probably stuff he's been wanting do to forever. they aren't blind in redmond. They can look down the street and see steam. they know what gamers want. their fight is with japan. they have to get japan to approve all this stuff. and that's the hard part. the guys in charge in kyoto are clueless.

I don't think people realize how much people NCL has over everything. It's...truly baffling. I wouldn't be shocked if Reggie has to ask to blow his nose at NOA HQ.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
My Alternate Account is Cortjezter
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby jlatimer11 » 30 Mar 2013 22:52

I would kill for an XBMC remote on the Gamepad.
jlatimer11
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: jlatimer11
3DS: 1891-1333-7003
PSN: jlatimer11
XBL: jmlat

So did everyone forget about Nintendo Web Framework?

Postby Cassidy » 12 Jun 2013 15:47

I bring this up, because I haven't heard any information about this, and even expected to hear something from them during E3. Not to mention that I heard no one else talk about the software since GDC. There's so much more I was interested in hearing, like a date, price, requirements, or anything that would have sparked my interest for making a Wii U game. It's not even mentioned on Unity's website whatsoever, regardless of collaborations they have announced before.

Just bringing it up, cause I would like to hear more and, so far, I couldn't find any additional reports than what we heard now. Not to mention that it could be vital for gaining more software from indie developers.
Cassidy
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: KingCassidy
3DS: 4854-6597-5917
Steam ID: Morbid Safety

Re: So did everyone forget about Nintendo Web Framework?

Postby gtt » 29 Jun 2013 20:40

I don't think so. It's probably just not very sexy to talk about sdks
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby ddddd » 29 Jun 2013 21:29

I don't like how they have ignored the VidiiUStreamer guy, it seems like a pretty cool app for the system... And people think devs are lying when they say they weren't listened by Nintendo.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Return to WiiU / Wii