New Super Luigi U

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby MoldyClay » 29 Jun 2013 02:27

FadedAreWii wrote:I think it works great when you have four people that are actually good at Mario. It's hard to have that group together, though, so it mostly seems like chaos with even one person that is just a casual player. Multi-player in these games seems more of a hardcore thing.


Even if you have 4 really good players, you still have to contend with the fact that, unlike some other games (I think Rayman, for example) you occupy physical space against each other. So you could be doing well, and moving in unison, but there will always be a point where your character will be accidentally blocking or hindering another character or pushing them off or something.
User avatar
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 04:34
Location: NJ
NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby Autosaver » 29 Jun 2013 15:56

Multiplayer in NSMB looks like it would work out much better with just 2 players and maybe a 3rd player using the Wii U Gamepad.
User avatar
Autosaver
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Feb 2010 19:54
NN ID: Autosaver

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby MasterofMonster » 29 Jun 2013 17:06

Autosaver wrote:Multiplayer in NSMB looks like it would work out much better with just 2 players and maybe a 3rd player using the Wii U Gamepad.


Or maybe change so that you go through/past eachother. The thing I dislike about it's multiplayer is that you're Always in the way for eachother.
Image
User avatar
MasterofMonster
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: 09 Jan 2011 15:44
Location: Sweden

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby Autosaver » 29 Jun 2013 18:26

MasterofMonster wrote:
Autosaver wrote:Multiplayer in NSMB looks like it would work out much better with just 2 players and maybe a 3rd player using the Wii U Gamepad.


Or maybe change so that you go through/past eachother. The thing I dislike about it's multiplayer is that you're Always in the way for eachother.


Even then, there's still issues such as getting behind and 4 people moving at once on the screen.

Also, the troll like gameplay works well in 2 player. Some people might be upset if they remove it (picking up, jumping on each other, collision)
User avatar
Autosaver
Boo
Boo
 
Posts: 560
Joined: 25 Feb 2010 19:54
NN ID: Autosaver

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby MoldyClay » 29 Jun 2013 19:26

I think NSMB multiplayer is enjoyable if you're specifically playing it just for the fun of not caring whether/when you get through it.

If you are trying to play co-op with intent on getting 100% and plowing through levels, you're doing it wrong. You need to play it as casually as possible and playing it for what games are meant for, fun.

But as a completionist, and someone that likes having a perfect file, you're going to want to play on your own first, probably.

Personally, I liked the Versus mode in NSMB1 and I felt like the multiplayer modes in NSMBW were kind of useless (the alternate ones).

This is why I liked Four Swords more, since it not only accommodated to the player count, and had random layouts (the original anyway), but the game knew it was competitive AND co-operative and blended them properly. You got rewarded for being a better player and beating your friends, but you worked together and NEEDED your friends to progress. I enjoyed that.

Similarly, I enjoy the multiplayer for Luigi's Mansion a lot. But I think Rush/the time one is a little unfair in any instance other than with 4 players. It's doable with one or two, but it's extremely hard due to having to cover so much ground in a short time and often maps that wind around and make it impossible to get back if a friend finds the exit on another end of the mansion, even with timers.
User avatar
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 04:34
Location: NJ
NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby FadedAreWii » 30 Jun 2013 04:32

MoldyClay wrote:
FadedAreWii wrote:I think it works great when you have four people that are actually good at Mario. It's hard to have that group together, though, so it mostly seems like chaos with even one person that is just a casual player. Multi-player in these games seems more of a hardcore thing.


Even if you have 4 really good players, you still have to contend with the fact that, unlike some other games (I think Rayman, for example) you occupy physical space against each other. So you could be doing well, and moving in unison, but there will always be a point where your character will be accidentally blocking or hindering another character or pushing them off or something.


I don't think that's true. If you have people that know what they are doing it can mostly be avoided by waiting and timing things out. If you are all trying to speed through, yeah, but then you're not playing like people that know what they are doing.
Skyward
User avatar
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: 13 Dec 2011 20:03
NN ID: WiiareFaded

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby MoldyClay » 30 Jun 2013 13:42

FadedAreWii wrote:I don't think that's true. If you have people that know what they are doing it can mostly be avoided by waiting and timing things out. If you are all trying to speed through, yeah, but then you're not playing like people that know what they are doing.


This vaguely implies that speedrunners don't know what they are doing.

But I get what you mean.

However, apply this logic to NSLU, where you only have 100 seconds. You can't wait and time things that well with 4 people in that situation.
User avatar
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 04:34
Location: NJ
NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby FadedAreWii » 30 Jun 2013 16:37

i didn't mean speed runners, i meant more just running through with no plan of attack.
Skyward
User avatar
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: 13 Dec 2011 20:03
NN ID: WiiareFaded

Re: New Super Luigi U

Postby MoldyClay » 01 Jul 2013 14:58

No I know. I figured.

But that still doesn't help that you kinda gotta speed through Luigi U, if I am not mistaken.
User avatar
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu
 
Posts: 3153
Joined: 25 Feb 2008 04:34
Location: NJ
NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Previous

Return to WiiU / Wii

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot]