Super Smash Bros. U - The Long Wait Thread

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: Super Smash Bros. U - The Long Wait Thread

Postby CM30 » 03 Feb 2013 17:15

Probably depends on the glitches. They'll probably patch anything that's easy to pull off and breaks the game, but if it's something super complicated like the old black hole glitch from Melee, I suspect they won't bother.
Nintendo 3DS Community, a Nintendo 3DS forum

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

3DS: 4983-5165-4189

Postby belmontlegacy » 04 Feb 2013 03:53

I think my biggest worry is that they will take the easy way out and just take some of the characters that were assist trophies in Brawl, and make them playable in the new game. While this could be a wonderful idea, I still fear they will just make some of them palette swaps and share move lists with others just for roster filler.
belmontlegacy
Shyguy
Shyguy

XBL: The Ahnold

Postby J0RdAnN » 04 Feb 2013 14:29

belmontlegacy wrote:I think my biggest worry is that they will take the easy way out and just take some of the characters that were assist trophies in Brawl, and make them playable in the new game. While this could be a wonderful idea, I still fear they will just make some of them palette swaps and share move lists with others just for roster filler.

Some of those characters have seen "rebirths" so to speak. Like Little Mac and Starfy.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby CM30 » 04 Feb 2013 16:17

Didn't that Starfy game fail miserably or something? Either way, I hear the series is pretty much done with US/European releases for a while.

Little Mac could end up in the next game though, Punch Out is indeed a popular enough Nintendo series to warrant some playable character representation, and what better type of character for a fighting game than an actual boxer?

Die hard Mario fan, writer for various Nintendo sites and person whose probably played the most Wario Land 4.
CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 04 Feb 2013 17:18

CM30 wrote:Didn't that Starfy game fail miserably or something? Either way, I hear the series is pretty much done with US/European releases for a while.

More like Starfy's done with releases for a while, after the localized Starfy, they haven't released any, not even an announcement of a future release.

About Assist Trophies becoming playable, the only ones I can see becoming playable are Little Mac, Isaac and Saki, the latter two being replaced by Matthew and Isa in their AT roles.
HammerGalladeBro
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby shadowbuster » 04 Feb 2013 19:05

So, why don't Nintendo hire people from SuperBot (the maker of Smash bros copy) since Sony fired the entire dev team today?

source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/04/ ... -stars-dev
Please support my friend's spanish Nintendo site NintenDominante, on Facebook and Twitter, for the latest Nintendo News in spanish!
shadowbuster
Boo
Boo

NN ID: master-jfd
3DS: 4167 4910 9302
Steam ID: shadowjfd
PSN: shadowjfd

Postby CM30 » 04 Feb 2013 19:50

Not sure. Then again, Nintendo have a tendency not to hire people who they probably should hire.

CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 04 Feb 2013 20:09

shadowbuster wrote:So, why don't Nintendo hire people from SuperBot (the maker of Smash bros copy) since Sony fired the entire dev team today?

source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/04/ ... -stars-dev

Because then, they will create a Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale ripoff, whihc in turn would be a bigger ripoff of Smash Bros. than what PSAS was, which would be ripping off themselves, and that would create a paradox. :lol:

On a serious tone, that's sad, SONY's ought to have better relationships with developers, especially those they create.
Random, useless Trivia: The Wii U GamePad fits in a big pocket, do I recommend you to do so? NO!
HammerGalladeBro
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby J0RdAnN » 04 Feb 2013 21:12

I think there is a better chance of Batman becoming a playable character in Smash.... No way would Nintendo hire them.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby Berrix » 04 Feb 2013 21:53

CM30 wrote:Not sure. Then again, Nintendo have a tendency not to hire people who they probably should hire.

They hired Vigil artists and a couple programmers recently, I wouldn't be batting that comment around like that. I'm not sure they'd be able to hold up under Nintendo's iron fist of gaming.

In other news, was listening to discussion on the way to work, talked about LEGO City and Smash Bros. Though neither had anything to do with each other, came to a mental picture of Chase McCain running around SSB4, and it amused me.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby J0RdAnN » 04 Feb 2013 23:14

I could see chase being a Taskmaster(MvC3) like character.
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby belmontlegacy » 05 Feb 2013 01:26

I would be fine with both Isaac and Little Mac as playable characters.
belmontlegacy
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby led-naruto » 09 Feb 2013 15:48

So how can they add more new gameplay to the next two games?
Mirror and Soul
led-naruto
Toad
Toad

Postby JD » 09 Feb 2013 19:42

led-naruto wrote:So how can they add more new gameplay to the next two games?

Well, Sakurai already said that the gameplay is likely to stay very similar to the previous games, but that he had a few ideas on how he could spice it up a bit...

I too am curious as to what they can do to change things up, because beyond a few of my own ideas I've seen no one suggest what can be done to modify the gameplay...
JD
Boo
Boo

NN ID: J.D.

Postby CM30 » 09 Feb 2013 20:28

Am I the only one who thinks the gameplay doesn't need to be 'spiced up' or changed? Smash Bros Melee and Brawl don't have that much wrong with them as is, and I think Nintendo is getting way too obsessed about being 'creative'. No, I don't want 'creative', I just want more awesome Nintendo characters, stages, music, trophies, etc.

CM30
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby JD » 09 Feb 2013 20:50

CM30 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the gameplay doesn't need to be 'spiced up' or changed? Smash Bros Melee and Brawl don't have that much wrong with them as is, and I think Nintendo is getting way too obsessed about being 'creative'. No, I don't want 'creative', I just want more awesome Nintendo characters, stages, music, trophies, etc.

Well, like Sakurai said, he found his audience and he's fairly certain he knows what they want, gameplay wise. But if he doesn't at least try something new, there's a risk of the game becoming too "same-old-y"... not that that's even a word, but I'm sure you understand...
JD
Boo
Boo

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 09 Feb 2013 21:15

LOL at all those people who were suggesting Rayman as a playable character....how many wanna bet that's not even a possibility AT ALL (not that there was a slight chance to begin with...) :lol:
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad

Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Postby DonnyDarko420 » 09 Feb 2013 21:20

J0RdAnN wrote:I was listening to this and I thought you know a Stage like Halberd for Spirit Tracks might not be so bad. Yes I'm aware that Spirit tracks is amongst the more "hated" Zeldas but you can't deny it has awesome tunes.
Spoiler:

I actually liked Spirit Tracks quite a bit. The fact that 'Zelda' was along for the ride, the puzzles, the refined and more polished touch screen controls... But you're right. The best part is the music! The Overworld Theme is one of my favorite game tunes of all time!

I've thought about this a lot and I just don't really know what they can/should add. I think most the game's innovation and spicing up is going to come from the 3DS to Wii U connectivity. Never know what's getting kicked around in Sakurai's head, though!

Some hopes I have for the games:
-Bigger roster (obviously), more stages, some cool new items.
-No clones. I want them to take characters like Dr. Mario and Toon Link and make them unlockable forms of their normal version. I'm sure they could come up with some cool ideas for this. Peach could have Paper Peach. Jigglypuff could have Wigglytuff. Stuff like that.
-Improved and robust online modes and options.
-An improved Subspace Emissary mode. I loved the idea and seeing different characters team up and crossover. I want more of that, but with better and more inspired gameplay.
-More cool diversions like the trophy collecting game and demoes.
-An expanded mission mode (with more co-op challenges.
-DLC. New stages, characters, tunes, and challenges to extend the game even further.
DonnyDarko420
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: DD420x
3DS: 4725-7959-6401
Wii: 1598-6202-6141-2684

Postby JD » 09 Feb 2013 21:43

DonnyDarko420 wrote:
J0RdAnN wrote:I was listening to this and I thought you know a Stage like Halberd for Spirit Tracks might not be so bad. Yes I'm aware that Spirit tracks is amongst the more "hated" Zeldas but you can't deny it has awesome tunes.
Spoiler:

I actually liked Spirit Tracks quite a bit. The fact that 'Zelda' was along for the ride, the puzzles, the refined and more polished touch screen controls... But you're right. The best part is the music! The Overworld Theme is one of my favorite game tunes of all time!

Aye, Spirit Tracks was an alright game in my book, but the music was definitely the best part! Overworld Theme and Fraaz Battle Theme were my favorites.

DonnyDarko420 wrote:

I've thought about this a lot and I just don't really know what they can/should add. I think most the game's innovation and spicing up is going to come from the 3DS to Wii U connectivity. Never know what's getting kicked around in Sakurai's head, though!

Some hopes I have for the games:
-Bigger roster (obviously), more stages, some cool new items.

Well, obviously... more of all that is always welcome in a new Smash title...

DonnyDarko420 wrote:-No clones. I want them to take characters like Dr. Mario and Toon Link and make them unlockable forms of their normal version. I'm sure they could come up with some cool ideas for this. Peach could have Paper Peach. Jigglypuff could have Wigglytuff. Stuff like that.

You say no clones, then suggest they should add alternate versions of the same characters? That's almost as bad as cloning a character! Why would anyone want a second Mario or, worse, ANOTHER Jigglypuff (one of the worst additions to the game IMHO) when we could have any of the dozens of other unique characters to choose from?

DonnyDarko420 wrote:-Improved and robust online modes and options.

Online never mattered much to me, but I suppose it'd be a nice addition.

DonnyDarko420 wrote:-An improved Subspace Emissary mode. I loved the idea and seeing different characters team up and crossover. I want more of that, but with better and more inspired gameplay.

Aye, I can agree with this. Loved the idea of all the characters coming together, but the generic environments and story, and the excessive focus on mindless beat-em-up action when the platforming was the best part, really bogged down the overall feel of SSE.

DonnyDarko420 wrote:-More cool diversions like the trophy collecting game and demoes.

Diversity of trophies, yes! So many throw away trophies, and so few games mentioned. Demos on the other hand? No way! There's much better use for the time and space spent on demos, especially when demos are becoming common via things like the eShop.

DonnyDarko420 wrote:-An expanded mission mode (with more co-op challenges.

This would be good, I'd say. You just can't have enough stuff to do with all those playable characters.

DonnyDarko420 wrote:-DLC. New stages, characters, tunes, and challenges to extend the game even further.

Nice in theory, but Sakurai's the man behind Smash, and I doubt he'll be sticking around long after the game is completed. Unless he's willing to hand the work off to someone else, I wouldn't count on DLC.
JD
Boo
Boo

Postby belmontlegacy » 09 Feb 2013 22:50

Just like back before Brawl came out, I vote for Tales of Symphonia characters involved in the new one. Even though that would never happen =)
belmontlegacy
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby DonnyDarko420 » 09 Feb 2013 23:38

JD wrote:Aye, Spirit Tracks was an alright game in my book, but the music was definitely the best part! Overworld Theme and Fraaz Battle Theme were my favorites.

You have good taste!

JD wrote:
DonnyDarko420 wrote:-No clones. I want them to take characters like Dr. Mario and Toon Link and make them unlockable forms of their normal version. I'm sure they could come up with some cool ideas for this. Peach could have Paper Peach. Jigglypuff could have Wigglytuff. Stuff like that.

You say no clones, then suggest they should add alternate versions of the same characters? That's almost as bad as cloning a character! Why would anyone want a second Mario or, worse, ANOTHER Jigglypuff (one of the worst additions to the game IMHO) when we could have any of the dozens of other unique characters to choose from?

I completely agree and I'd rather them spend time on adding in unique characters. What I mean by 'alternate versions' is that instead of having seperate roster spots for characters like Dr. Mario and Toon Link, they should just put them in as "costumes" with the exact same movesets and attributes as their original counterparts. So instead picking a character and just being able to change their color scheme, you could also click through any alternate versions that you have unlocked. Could be a stupid idea or hard to implement, but I think it would be better than having seperate roster spots taken up.

And don't hate on Jigglypuff! Ha ha ha! He/She(?) has been around since the beginning!

JD wrote:
DonnyDarko420 wrote:-Improved and robust online modes and options.

Online never mattered much to me, but I suppose it'd be a nice addition.

To be honest, the single player and local multiplayer are most important to me, too, but having a solid online component would be a nice option and would please so many other gamers.

JD wrote:
DonnyDarko420 wrote:-An improved Subspace Emissary mode. I loved the idea and seeing different characters team up and crossover. I want more of that, but with better and more inspired gameplay.

Aye, I can agree with this. Loved the idea of all the characters coming together, but the generic environments and story, and the excessive focus on mindless beat-em-up action when the platforming was the best part, really bogged down the overall feel of SSE.

Couldn't agree more. They have so much source material to draw upon and yet the stage environments were so bland and uninspired.

JD wrote:Diversity of trophies, yes! So many throw away trophies, and so few games mentioned. Demos on the other hand? No way! There's much better use for the time and space spent on demos, especially when demos are becoming common via things like the eShop.

Oh. I agree with your stance on demos being included. I should have been more clear--I want other cool modes and features to supplement the main action. Not necessarily demos, because like you said, they are just a waste of space in this day and age. Just something along those lines that is a nice bonus to the main attraction. Couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, though.

JD wrote:
DonnyDarko420 wrote:-DLC. New stages, characters, tunes, and challenges to extend the game even further.

Nice in theory, but Sakurai's the man behind Smash, and I doubt he'll be sticking around long after the game is completed. Unless he's willing to hand the work off to someone else, I wouldn't count on DLC.

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's definitely on my wish list. I can never get enough Smash, so having post-game content could only be a good thing!
DonnyDarko420
Octorok
Octorok

Postby led-naruto » 10 Feb 2013 00:42

DLC? What comes to mind with that word is the abusive "pay to play" system Capcom implemented.
But, I know what you mean. What I liked about Brawl was receiving Custom Stages, Replays and Snapshots. I would like to think that with the Miiverse there will be a giant Community online where you can download and share these three features and probably even custom challenges.

I'm probably wrong by now but didn't Nintendo say the Wii U could support two gamepads? Where would they be implemented, along with the 3DS connectivity?
Mirror and Soul
led-naruto
Toad
Toad

Postby JD » 10 Feb 2013 01:18

DonnyDarko420 wrote:
JD wrote:

I completely agree and I'd rather them spend time on adding in unique characters. What I mean by 'alternate versions' is that instead of having seperate roster spots for characters like Dr. Mario and Toon Link, they should just put them in as "costumes" with the exact same movesets and attributes as their original counterparts. So instead picking a character and just being able to change their color scheme, you could also click through any alternate versions that you have unlocked. Could be a stupid idea or hard to implement, but I think it would be better than having seperate roster spots taken up.

And don't hate on Jigglypuff! Ha ha ha! He/She(?) has been around since the beginning!

Oh, I get what you mean, turning one character into a costume for another, like making Toon Link a costume for regular Link... I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work though.

Both characters would have to accurately match each other in shape and form. Ever see those videos where they put one character's "skin" onto another character's "skeleton", effectively making them into monsters? You'd likely end up seeing a similar thing if the character who would be a costume didn't fit perfectly onto the original character.

Of course, they could try to tweak the character to work, but by then you've got more of a clone on your hands then a costume.

And I'll hate on Jiggly all I want, thank you very much! She (He? It? Whatever...) is number two of three on my list of characters who really shouldn't return for the next Smash Brothers.

Between her return in Brawl and Mewtwo's removal, and general strangeness as a Smash character, I've come to truly despise her. Add to that the fact that the Pokémon franchise is about to exceed 700 in characters, and that she's one of the most useless and unremarkable, and I see no real reason for her to return (and no, being around since the first game isn't a reason, it's a bad excuse not to drop her!).
JD
Boo
Boo

Postby Berrix » 10 Feb 2013 03:40

JD wrote:And I'll hate on Jiggly all I want, thank you very much! She (He? It? Whatever...) is number two of three on my list of characters who really shouldn't return for the next Smash Brothers.

Between her return in Brawl and Mewtwo's removal, and general strangeness as a Smash character, I've come to truly despise her. Add to that the fact that the Pokémon franchise is about to exceed 700 in characters, and that she's one of the most useless and unremarkable, and I see no real reason for her to return (and no, being around since the first game isn't a reason, it's a bad excuse not to drop her!).

I hate Marth almost as much as you hate Jiggs. However both are not going anywhere anytime soon. And not just because Jigglypuff is one of the first, it also mostly how the Japanese audience sees her (I will refer to it as a her). Jigglypuff, much like Pikachu, was revered as one of the top three to be the "mascot" and image of all things Pokemon. She was a real close contender considering, with a distant third being Meowth (and the anime has reflected this on several occasions). As for Mewtwo's removal, I feel ya. To me he felt like the only true aggressor of Pokemon. And symbolic as well. The downside of Pokemon exceeding 700 is this; There is not -CRAP- worth taking note of beyond the third generation as well as Pikachu, Jigglypuff and the others. Really wouldn't be looking forward to seeing Victini any time soon.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby DonnyDarko420 » 10 Feb 2013 13:46

Berrix wrote:
JD wrote:And I'll hate on Jiggly all I want, thank you very much! She (He? It? Whatever...) is number two of three on my list of characters who really shouldn't return for the next Smash Brothers.

I hate Marth almost as much as you hate Jiggs. However both are not going anywhere anytime soon. And not just because Jigglypuff is one of the first, it also mostly how the Japanese audience sees her (I will refer to it as a her). Jigglypuff, much like Pikachu, was revered as one of the top three to be the "mascot" and image of all things Pokemon. She was a real close contender considering, with a distant third being Meowth (and the anime has reflected this on several occasions). As for Mewtwo's removal, I feel ya. To me he felt like the only true aggressor of Pokemon. And symbolic as well. The downside of Pokemon exceeding 700 is this; There is not -CRAP- worth taking note of beyond the third generation as well as Pikachu, Jigglypuff and the others. Really wouldn't be looking forward to seeing Victini any time soon.

I would miss playing matches against 3 level 9 Jiggly's too much if she didn't return. Ha ha ha!

That said, I completely understand why so many don't like her as a Smash character. For me, I think it's more about nostolgia that I would like to see her return. Nostolgia for the early days of Smash and also for Pokemania back in the late 90's.

Berrix does bring up a pretty good point. Jigglypuff is pretty iconic when it comes to Pokemon in Japan, so I don't think she'll get the axe.

There are some characters I don't really care for on the Smash roster, but I'm not sure I want to see any of them removed. The more options, the better. They could tweak some of them, though.
DonnyDarko420
Octorok
Octorok

PreviousNext

Return to WiiU / Wii