What's next for the next 3D Mario?

Everything about the Wii and its games...

What's next for the next 3D Mario?

Postby FatFace83 » 19 Feb 2012 20:17

Yoshiaki Koizumi said back in June last year in regards to the next Mario.. "When I think about the two screens being used at the same time, it seems like an interesting opportunity to allow us to create a console game where two people are playing at the same time but can't see each others' screens...It's certainly an interesting approach, but I have to clarify that it's not something that we're working on just yet." http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/07/wii-u-mario-zelda/all/1

After playing Galaxy 1 & 2 I finding it hard in the sense of where they can take the series now, every 3D Mario that came out always had something new and unique about it, to me it was the main reason in buying and owning a new system, totally epic and back in the day it was a long five year wait for the next instalment, Super Mario Galaxy 2 changed that, and luckily for us we got a sequel on the same system, which apart from the Side-scrolling Mario games from the 80's and 90's was very rare.

So I'm very curious to where they can take the series now, Mario has been in space twice, been on holiday and jumped into Worlds through paintings, though after playing Super Mario 3D Land I'm concerned a little that the next 3D Mario will be more of the same in regards to it being extremely linear and catered for people who find 3D Mario too hard. don't get me wrong I enjoyed SM3DL but for me it wasn't unique, apart from the 3D, I wasn't overwhelmed like I was with Mario 64, Sunshine and the Galaxies.

So do you think it will be more of the same like SM3DL?, SM3DL has sold about 5 million copies in about 5 months, it's extremely popular. or do you think it will be something totally crazy and new that might not pay off for being too different?

I would love something new again, something that will shock me.
FatFace83
Shyguy
Shyguy

3DS: 0173-1322-7243

Re: What's next for the next 3D Mario?

Postby gtt » 20 Feb 2012 03:00

if I had to guess, it's just going to get simpler, and more bite sized levels. just smb3dl even more.

which I don't really want to have on the console mario.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby SuperAnjario » 18 Apr 2012 10:20

I think some of our fears are unfounded. Most at Nintendo have acknowledged the differences between the handheld versions of Mario and the console ones. I think we'll see something really good. Hopefully a mixture of what we got with the Galaxy games and the open world feel of 64. Maybe a giant Mushroom Kingdom hub with different regions. Within the regions there could be defined Galaxy style platforming courses. At any rate, I'm sure we'll love whatever they come up with for a 3D Mario for WiiU.

On a related note, what if Super Mario 4 is the WiiU 3D Mario? We all know that the "Super Mario" series relates to the 3d versions. Further, what if Nintendo considers the Galaxy games as one version of 3D Mario? Thus: 1. Super Mario 64; 2. Super Mario Sunshine; 3. The Galaxy games; and 4. Super Mario 4. Just an idea I had.
SuperAnjario
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby FatFace83 » 18 Apr 2012 11:11

That's a good point! I didn't think that before. But maybe it's a bit too soon to hear about a 3D Mario title just yet since we only had SM3DL last year. But I do know that NSMBW came out in 09, so the team who made that title have had a long time to make another game, so maybe they have made two titles? I guess one for the 3DS and another for the Wii U. I'm going with a Super Mario Bros 4 for the Wii U as I believe the Bros part that was left out is just slight confusion ie A new Super Mario game is in the works.
FatFace83
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 18 Apr 2012 11:18

I'm thinking Mario will be tackling dreams next in the 3D games since anything could occur in dreams. I'm hoping this new 3D game is more like Sunshine and 64 since these newer games like Galaxy and 3D Land are becoming too linear. I want to explore and not be restricted to a path that leads to a star. Is that too much to ask Nintendo? >_>

Btw I'd rather the 3D games stay as single player experiences. Putting too much emphasis on co-op would just ruin the game for those who play alone.
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby Irritating Stick » 19 Apr 2012 06:06

Mirr0rR3flection wrote:I'm thinking Mario will be tackling dreams next in the 3D games since anything could occur in dreams. I'm hoping this new 3D game is more like Sunshine and 64 since these newer games like Galaxy and 3D Land are becoming too linear. I want to explore and not be restricted to a path that leads to a star. Is that too much to ask Nintendo? >_>

Btw I'd rather the 3D games stay as single player experiences. Putting too much emphasis on co-op would just ruin the game for those who play alone.

I actually think that this could be a great idea if done right. Sleeping in different beds would give you different dreams, or perhaps Bowser could invade your dreams and turn them into nightmares.

The only other setting I could think of is maybe Bowser's castle, which would be an interesting contrast to Peach's castle in SM64. Bowser's castle could act like a hub world, or perhaps different rooms would be the levels, such as a kitchen or even a bathroom level.
I FEEL ASLEEP!!

Irritating Stick
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Mr.Coffee
3DS: 3737-9540-2045
Wii: 5233-5987-2344-4533
PSN: MrCoffee-
XBL: coffee41790

Postby Dark-Yoghurt » 19 Apr 2012 17:48

I'm guessing we'll see this new 3D Mario in 2013, Nintendo said that there will be a Wii U Super Mario Bros. game at E3, that is based off the E3 2011 NSMBMii game...

I also hope it will be more creative or as creative as Mario Galaxy, with some exploring elements like in Mario 64, 1 solid theme like Sunshine did would be okay too, if they do it right.

I like the Dream idea, Mario Universe would I dunno, involve nebula's or something? It isn't really a great step after Galaxy, after all that's already a space/aliens/dimension theme. Damn I am curious
Dark-Yoghurt
Fairy
Fairy

Postby SuperAnjario » 19 Apr 2012 21:58

I think we'll get a trailer, at least, at this year's E3. Hopefully, we get demos.
SuperAnjario
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby FatFace83 » 24 Apr 2012 17:46

I love some if those ideas, very creative and interesting. what is it about 3D Mario titles that make us like kids again?

An idea I had was for a hub facility that is a big boat/ship. Peach's royal ship given to Mario by the Toadsworth to find the Princess and Luigi and defeat enemies overseas, imagine a map system like Super Mario World? now imagine that in 3D but in big open space? and that you travel to islands and small little worlds on the big sea, say one island is known as the Haunted Islands where Luigi is being held captive, you walk into the usual haunted house but discover that inside a haunted house there is a hidden circus that hides menacing clowns and strange boo's. another island which is known as Sunshine island where we are greeted by a Happy smiling sun in the air but the Sun in question turns out to be that evil spitfire Sun from SMB3 that tries it's best to spit fire at Mario in the level. and another island known as Trick or Treat where everything in sight looks edible and very enticing and sweet (a lot like willy wonkers factory) but then the levels take on a more menacing vibe with evil lollipop people and candy trolls trying to lure Mario into defeat. and a world with a floating castle in the clouds.

make the game strange, that is what Mario games should be about.
FatFace83
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Fluffernutter » 25 Apr 2012 10:41

FatFace83 wrote:...make the game strange, that is what Mario games should be about.

Indeed. And what better way, going along with the dream motif, than a return to the fantastical world of SMB2 with a 3D makeover? I know this is just a "pipe-dream", but I think it has the potential to be great! C'mon Wart!
Fluffernutter
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby Olinad » 06 May 2012 06:34

A mix between Wind Waker (Islands, huge HUB world... maybe I'd cut the navigation and make it just like a Super Mario World map, but anyway...) and Super Mario Sunshine/ Galaxy would be ultra-cool :)
Olinad
Flicky
Flicky

Postby bonesawisready » 06 May 2012 12:39

I dunno what they'll do. They always surprise me, I didn't even expect Galaxy but keeping with the tradition of making it wholly new and not like past Mario's with a new trick I'd say there is no way to predict what direction they will go with it.

I just want a big open HUB world like 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1. Heck, I'd take a full HD remake of 64 plz!
Currently Playing- Pikmin 3, Ninja Gaiden 3 RE, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Rayman Legends Challenges App
bonesawisready
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: bonesawisready
3DS: 537003978402
XBL: rocksteadykev5

Postby cortjezter » 06 May 2012 13:22

mirror's edge, but set in the mushroom kingdom.
cortjezter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam ID: cortjezter
Wii: 4659 4316 9119 3027
PSN: cortjezter
XBL: cortjezter

Postby SuperAnjario » 07 Jun 2012 12:26

I thought we'd get a glimpse, but nothing. Looks like we've got to wait a little while longer. Maybe at an event later this summer or fall.

I'm really surprised we didn't get a demo real of HD characters at least. In my opinion, one little snippet of HD characters or one more trailer for a top-end franchise would have completely flipped the perception people have of this conference.

Oh well, we all know it's coming eventually. Just wished we could have seen it.
SuperAnjario
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby FatFace83 » 07 Jun 2012 12:59

SuperAnjario wrote:I thought we'd get a glimpse, but nothing. Looks like we've got to wait a little while longer. Maybe at an event later this summer or fall.

I'm really surprised we didn't get a demo real of HD characters at least. In my opinion, one little snippet of HD characters or one more trailer for a top-end franchise would have completely flipped the perception people have of this conference.

Oh well, we all know it's coming eventually. Just wished we could have seen it.

I thought Nintendo usually reveal full-3D Mario titles at e3? Mario Sunshine and Galaxy 1 & 2 and 3D Land, So I'm guessing next e3 is when we may see it now.

And yeah I'm surprised about not getting a small demo of some kind, maybe something like where you are in Peach's Castle but updated with fantastic visuals in the usual Mario style, use the Gamepad to look around different angles and pan out and look above you in the castle and just have a small glimpse of how fantastic it could look now. even a bloody picture would of been suffice. and what was all that fuss about Super Mario 4?
FatFace83
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Jazzy » 07 Jun 2012 14:06

Super Mario Universe! And the U would stand out from the rest of the title. :P

I kinda wanna be able to just run around Peach's castle again like when I was little, but with gorgeous Wii U graphics. But that's all I got, lol. It shouldn't be like SMB3DL if it's a console version, since it's more likely to be played for longer and therefore no reason to have bite-sized levels. Also I like the idea of a return to SMB2. Wart would look awesome with modern graphics.
Last edited by Jazzy on 07 Jun 2012 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzy
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Jasmine

Postby SuperAnjario » 07 Jun 2012 15:18

Super Mario 4 may well be the next 3D title as I explained above. Miyamoto claimed a few months back that "we're making Super Mario 4." I don't think he'd refer to New Super Mario Bros. U as "Super Mario 4."

I think 3D land was revealed at Tokyo Game Show, not E3.
SuperAnjario
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby FatFace83 » 07 Jun 2012 15:42

SuperAnjario wrote:Super Mario 4 may well be the next 3D title as I explained above. Miyamoto claimed a few months back that "we're making Super Mario 4." I don't think he'd refer to New Super Mario Bros. U as "Super Mario 4."

I think 3D land was revealed at Tokyo Game Show, not E3.

I thought that but 3D Land makes the 4th 3D Mario title if you count Galaxy 1 & 2 as one. I just think the Super Mario 4 part was a translation error, 4 not being important and the missing Bros part just being shortened in a quick sentence for a quick and simple question "is there going to be a new Super Mario game?" many tend to just say Super Mario. and that the title Miyamoto was refering to was the newly announced game New Super Mario Bros U
FatFace83
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 07 Jun 2012 16:13

SuperAnjario wrote:I think 3D land was revealed at Tokyo Game Show, not E3.

3D Land was revealed before last years E3 at the Game Developers Conference.
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby bfx9 » 07 Jun 2012 20:17

MARIO 64 WAS A killer app LAUNCH title.

i don't think NSMBU is a killer app. It looks like a shiny more of the same thing game.

we need a killer app mario.
bfx9
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Einar1025 » 07 Jun 2012 23:15

The next logical step after going into space for anything is "time". Which in the case of Mario is something along the lines of Sonic Generations, a re-imagining of classic mario levels and worlds with the gameplay of Mario 64/sunshine/galaxy and so on, you get the idea.
Einar1025
Octorok
Octorok

Wii: 8035-1568-0048-2975
PSN: DrybonesZer0
XBL: Drybones0

Postby Aaronnoraator » 10 Jun 2012 21:04

A reboot of 64. Same levels, different design. Make the levels bigger too. Make it look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clwR6H9TatQ
Aaronnoraator
Goomba
Goomba

Postby wiiarebrothers » 11 Jun 2012 01:44

The next logical step would be indeed two players, Mario 64 style, since Miyamoto wanted to do it with Mario64, Mario64 2 and Mario64x4 (beta 64DS) but since Koizumi denied it...

I just want bigger worlds, and a hub world :( but it's unlikely now..
wiiarebrothers
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: wiiarebrothers
3DS: 3866-7995-7423
Wii: 2865-2186-3272-4357

Postby kdognumba1 » 11 Jun 2012 02:15

Well the obvious next step is to get more Mature with Mario of War and Grand Theft Mario Kart.

In Mario of War you'll use your chainsaw flower to slice and dice the goombas and become the God of the Mushroom Kingdom. Princess Peach will also speak to you constantly in an heavenly Peach voice all while you do the ridiculously violent space marine spartan thing.

In Grand Theft Mario Kart you'll play an Italian Mobster who has to work his way up through the ranks by claiming territories in the Mushroom Kingdom while using the pipes to smuggle in mushrooms for extortion. All of this while getting in underground Kart races after highjacking some unsuspecting toads kart and taking your brother Luigi out to go bowling.
kdognumba1
Metool
Metool

NN ID: kdog254
3DS: 1676-3698-5986
Steam ID: kdog254
Wii: 5726-8719-5929-3614
PSN: jotaroxtreme
XBL: kdog254

Postby FatFace83 » 11 Jun 2012 11:28

Aaronnoraator wrote:A reboot of 64. Same levels, different design. Make the levels bigger too. Make it look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clwR6H9TatQ

That was a Gamecube demo of what could be done with it's fancy technology of the time, though I'm sure it never really got used to it's full capabilities, so they could probably go beyond that now with the Wii U.
FatFace83
Shyguy
Shyguy

Next

Return to WiiU / Wii