Wii U recommendations - games, system, bundles

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: Wii U game suggestions/recommendations

Postby lazerbyte » 08 Dec 2012 02:08

I have heard mixed things about Mario U is it really good as a single player game or should I pick up Dark Siders two or Black ops 2?
lazerbyte
Chocobo
Chocobo

PSN: Lazerbyte

Postby SDDMN » 13 Dec 2012 16:06

Highly recommended:
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
New Super Mario Bros. U
SDDMN
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: SDDMN25
3DS: 4596-9457-8127

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 13 Dec 2012 17:59

New Super Mario Bros. U

Challenge mode alone makes the game worth it. I've enjoyed this mode more than the actual game itself.

:3
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby Berrix » 15 Dec 2012 00:15

SDDMN wrote:Highly recommended:
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
New Super Mario Bros. U

I'll highlight this cause these are the exact ones I'd recommend. NG3 has actually been improved upon from it's previous release on the "twins." Feels so much better overall.

Though if your wallet is tighter than that, also picked up Nano Assault Neo, for those who enjoy arcade feel games, this one has been perfect.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby Sammet » 15 Dec 2012 13:18

(I'm talking strictly solo here, not multiplayer)

I've finished ZombiU and it was really good - if you're into zombies and games that are challenging then it's worth taking a look. It's atmospheric, genuinely creepy and utilises the gamepad well - when you hear a ping on your radar it makes you anxious. Inventory management on the gamepad should be mandatory for any games with an inventory - it's unbelievably useful and after a while I was so quick at swapping weapons/health etc before zombies could sneak up on me :D It's not without it's flaws, sometimes the graphics can be a bit sketchy, it can appear washed out at times, and melee combat is cumbersome but the game is not meant to be a fps - you're a random survivor who finds a weapon and starts defending themselves - you become more proficient at using a weapon the more you use it. When you get killed by a zombie you feel gutted that you've lost your progress with that character as well as all your loot - for some reason I tended to survive longer as a woman.... man was I upset when my police lady got eaten after going on a 100+ zombie kill streak. It was fun to kill and loot the corpses of several gonintendo zombies as I made my way through the game and leaving messages for others is neat too. Overall I'd say it's a very good launch title.

Mario is Mario (that's a positive in my book) - looks gorgeous in HD and the challenge mode is adds another layer to the existing gameplay. I also like the different coloured Yoshis and the miiverse integration. (bear in mind I'm only about a third of the way through it) It's way better than NSMBWii and NSMB2 in my book - some of those star coins are really really hard to find. Nintendo did a good job refining the series with this version.

Then also I have Mass Effect 3 which I'm only just getting into, but as it's been around elsewhere most people know what to expect already. One thing though - as I played both ME 1+2 on the PC quite a while ago, the digital comic at the start was a welcome refresher to remind me of the story in the previous ones. I've not had an issues so far that make me think it's a bad port or anything like that, the frame rate all seems good, same with the audio. The map on the gamepad is handy, and it's nice to be able to move your squad around on it by dragging their icons to where you want them to move.

From the eShop I've downloaded Trine 2 and only played a couple of hours so far as I've been busy with other games but it's also a very good looking game and I'm liking the switching between 3 different characters to solve the problems you encounter. This is one for playing in bed, off tv (same goes for Mario) :)

The one game I have that's grabbed my attention the least is Nintendo Land. It's enjoyable enough but it doesn't seem to draw me back to it like the other games have. It was part of the deluxe bundle so I'm not sure if I'd have bought it standalone. Maybe I'll enjoy it more when I have some family and friends about to try the multiplayer with but that doesn't happen very often these days.
PM me and I'll add you to my 3DS - feel free to add my NNID for WiiU too!
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Samwiise
3DS: 0817-3844-7533
Wii: 6169 7599 9537 5328

Postby J0RdAnN » 15 Dec 2012 15:57

Picked up Skylanders: Giants for my little brother What is nice is the fact you can play the entire game on the game pad. so he can go off and save Skylands without me hearing the same annoying five sound effects that new Spyro makes...
it also found a way to incorporate the touchscreen and the gyro into the mini games and the lock puzzles. which was a nice touch.

DarkSiders 2 is and interesting one...I own it for Xbox 360 and WiiU now and I'm able to compare. I'm going to say it straight out the 360 version has less issues, and is the better game despite the Wii U add-on content (which basically is some fetch quests and lots of armor). The Wii U Version does once again have the option to play only on the gamepad. I've noticed the WiiU version screen tears during more "cinematic" moments, where either lots of environmental effects are in play or lots of enemies. The gamepad menu is nicely implemented but incredibly grainy...reminds me of a PSOne inventory menu. Those issues aside the game is still fun to play. Hopefully THQ can patch up the game and bring the rest of the DLC.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby Berrix » 16 Dec 2012 21:50

J0RdAnN wrote:DarkSiders 2 is and interesting one...I own it for Xbox 360 and WiiU now and I'm able to compare. I'm going to say it straight out the 360 version has less issues, and is the better game despite the Wii U add-on content (which basically is some fetch quests and lots of armor). The Wii U Version does once again have the option to play only on the gamepad. I've noticed the WiiU version screen tears during more "cinematic" moments, where either lots of environmental effects are in play or lots of enemies. The gamepad menu is nicely implemented but incredibly grainy...reminds me of a PSOne inventory menu. Those issues aside the game is still fun to play. Hopefully THQ can patch up the game and bring the rest of the DLC.

Just picked this up at my local Target (for the semi-BOGO sale they have) and so far I've witnessed a couple times myself in the tearing department. But considering I play it a ton, the frequency seems a lot lower than most made it out to be.

Though for the inventory, I can see it being a tad grainy. However, a big part of me needs to ask myself if a little inventory grain ruins the game overall, seeing that's the only place I've witnessed it myself. Beyond that, pretty solid and can easily be patched.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Trouble deciding...

Postby TOADAL_KAOS » 07 Jan 2013 23:16

Trying to decide between Assassins Creed III and Mario U... Mario U seems like a no brainer, but I do love a good narrative arc.. Anybody want to weigh in?

Thanks y'all!
TOADAL_KAOS
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: ToadalKaos
PSN: TudHatLaguna
XBL: VilchVonMower

Re: Trouble deciding...

Postby KingBroly » 07 Jan 2013 23:28

New Super Mario Bros. U, definitely.

Assassin's Creed 3 does not have a good narrative. It has one major positive, but is taken away about halfway through. Then the game sucks worse and worse from there.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
My Alternate Account is Cortjezter
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Re: Trouble deciding...

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 08 Jan 2013 01:28

TOADAL_KAOS wrote:Trying to decide between Assassins Creed III and Mario U... Mario U seems like a no brainer, but I do love a good narrative arc.. Anybody want to weigh in?

Thanks y'all!

Go with NSMBU. You'll enjoy challenge mode trust me. :)
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

Should I buy Monster Hunter Ultimate?

Postby jalio_the_brave » 02 Apr 2013 10:14

I've been thinking about picking this game up once I have the money, but there are a few things that are holding me back from a purchase..

I bought Monster Hunter Tri, and while I enjoyed it for a little bit, I soon got bored with the offline quests after I hit the level 3 missions, considering my armor and such were not good enough for those bosses. I'm just worried I'll get bored again.

However, I never played Tri online because I told myself "Oh, I'll complete the offline quest first, then play online". So I've never experienced Monster Hunter's online first-hand. That's one component that I think might increase my enjoyment of the series.

What do you guys think? I've been told Monster Hunter isn't for everyone, and I wonder if I'm one of those people. But I really think I could enjoy this series, considering I enjoy so many other action-adventure games.

Give me your opinions, please :)
jalio_the_brave
Fairy
Fairy

Re: Should I buy Monster Hunter Ultimate?

Postby GoNiners » 02 Apr 2013 10:42

It seems to me that a lot of people just jump straight into online. Based on your post, you may want to do the same. I'd suggest going to the Beginner's Only lobbies.

Online is much more fun than offline. In my opinion, offline is for MH veterans, or for people who want to tackle the steep learning curve alone. Once you finish all the tutorial quests and kill Great Jaggi, I think you'd be good to go to online.
GoNiners
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: SuperSmashBro

Postby FadedAreWii » 05 Apr 2013 14:09

Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Recommendations for a new starter

Postby SyntheticPerson » 30 May 2013 05:34

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum (and website). I used to be a Nintendo boy up until the Gamecube, after which I went to the xbox 360. After a reveal of a console that is useless to me (as my internet is sporadic, at best), I have decided to go back to Nintendo with the Wii U.

I am going back to England in August, so will trade in a number of my 360 games towards the cost of a Wii U and two games. One of which I will probably get (assuming that it turns out to be as good as the old ones) is Pikmin 3. The other .... I don't know. I don't want New Super Mario Bros, as I didn't like what I played of the Wii version. I don't mind getting an original Wii game as a secondary title, but want to avoid Mario, Smash Bros, and Zelda since I will be getting the new ones later this year.

Any recommendations? Even tips on upcoming games that look good would be handy. As long as it releases before the end of August, then I will be able to get it before I move back to Spain.

Thank you!
SyntheticPerson
Goomba
Goomba

Re: Recommendations for a new starter

Postby pokemaster515 » 30 May 2013 21:46

SyntheticPerson wrote:I am new to the forum (and website). I used to be a Nintendo boy up until the Gamecube, after which I went to the xbox 360. After a reveal of a console that is useless to me (as my internet is sporadic, at best), I have decided to go back to Nintendo with the Wii U.

Welcome back to the fold brother, we've been awaiting your return. :P

Well anyway, truthfully there isn't much to get on the Wii U right now that isn't New Super Mario Bros. U or already available on the 360. There is Nintendo Land but I wouldn't recommend that unless you have more than one other person to play with and you'll need to get Wii remotes too.

ZombiU is a decent game, you could look up gameplay on that and see if it would be something that might interest you. Need For Speed: Most Wanted, although if you really wanted it you could have on the 360, I'd highly recommend. And then there is Monster Hunter that's really addictive but hard to get into, also while still playable offline, online is where it really shines.

Otherwise you might want to get a Wii game in place of a Wii U one. I'd recommend Xenoblade Chronicles if you can find it or Metroid Prime 3 or Super Paper Mario. Keep in mind that the Wii U's gamepad does not work with the Wii mode so you will need to get the necessary Wii controllers for Wii games.
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby LSF22 » 30 May 2013 23:07

You might want to check out some digital releases by then. Could be some interesting games out and also, the Virtual Console library will be a little bit bigger.
LSF22
Boo
Boo

NN ID: LionsFan
XBL: xxLSF22xx

Postby CorusFace » 31 May 2013 02:34

lego city undercover.

no, seriously, just.... lego city undercover.
CorusFace
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby SyntheticPerson » 31 May 2013 03:54

pokemaster515 wrote:Welcome back to the fold brother, we've been awaiting your return. :P

Thanks! I appreciate your suggestions. ZombiU could be a maybe, as I do like horror games; the only thing that puts me off is that I have heard the campaign story is pretty pants. Saying that, I suppose most horror games have a pretty serviceable and/or cheesy story. Super Paper Mario could be a good one though. What is it like in terms of replay value? Ideally I want a game i can jump in and out of, but will have a lot to get out of - much like how the 3D Mario's have lots of stars to get in each level.

You also mentioned getting a Wii controller. Doesn't the Wii-U come with the Nunchuck and Remote? I assumed that it had those two and the gamepad?

I will also look into Lego City Undercover to see what that is about :)

The digital catalog isn't too much of a concern for me, as I will probably end up buying a bunch of stuff of that in addition to these two games!
SyntheticPerson
Goomba
Goomba

Postby changer1701 » 31 May 2013 14:52

SyntheticPerson wrote:Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum (and website). I used to be a Nintendo boy up until the Gamecube, after which I went to the xbox 360. After a reveal of a console that is useless to me (as my internet is sporadic, at best), I have decided to go back to Nintendo with the Wii U.

I am going back to England in August, so will trade in a number of my 360 games towards the cost of a Wii U and two games. One of which I will probably get (assuming that it turns out to be as good as the old ones) is Pikmin 3. The other .... I don't know. I don't want New Super Mario Bros, as I didn't like what I played of the Wii version. I don't mind getting an original Wii game as a secondary title, but want to avoid Mario, Smash Bros, and Zelda since I will be getting the new ones later this year.

Any recommendations? Even tips on upcoming games that look good would be handy. As long as it releases before the end of August, then I will be able to get it before I move back to Spain.

Thank you!

I will echo what someone else said about Lego City Undercover...the humor alone in that game is worth it. Just a fun title.

As far as Mario goes, I didn't like the Wii outing either, but the new one for Wii U is much better (and looks gorgeous in HD). I'd consider giving that a whirl.
changer1701
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby pokemaster515 » 31 May 2013 16:22

Super Paper Mario doesn't have a lot of replay value after you beat it. All there really is to do is collect cards that don't really do anything and buy a robot that you'll no longer need. I forgot about Lego City (I don't have it myself) but I'm planning on getting it as soon as I have money so maybe you could go with that.

Also the Wii U doesn't come with Wiimotes. At least in North America, sounds like you're in Europe but I'm pretty sure it's the same.
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby Zanreo » 31 May 2013 18:26

No, Wii U doesn't come with Wiimotes in Europe either, you'd have to get them separately.
Zanreo
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Postby LSF22 » 31 May 2013 18:37

Also, check for a bundle. So far, the bundles have seemed like a really great deal. Maybe by then they will have some new ones that include the Pro Controller, NintendoLand, and an additional game for just the added cost of the controller.
LSF22
Boo
Boo

NN ID: LionsFan
XBL: xxLSF22xx

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 31 May 2013 21:02

I recommend Resident Evil Revelations Wii U. I'm having a blast playing it with the new stuff they added. :)
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

Postby SyntheticPerson » 01 Jun 2013 04:18

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll think about Lego City or maybe contemplate the Mario game (i'll have to look into it a bit!).

I know that Revelations will be good, but I have it on the 3DS and have completed it around a dozen times already - so i'll get the Wii U version when it is cheaper.
SyntheticPerson
Goomba
Goomba

Best Wii U Bundle

Postby blade_master » 28 Oct 2013 01:19

So I've been unable to buy a wii u for a while now, but I see that situation changing come Black Friday. With so many options out, I was wondering which bundle would be the best buy. Keep in mind that I will eventually have every game that is in a bundle, so I have no preference that way. It is more about value.

a. Wii U w/ Mario + Luigi

b. Wii U w/ Windwaker

c. Wii U w/ Nintendo Land

d. Basic Wii U w/Nintendo Land

Of the four options, it seems like choice a is giving me the best bang for my buck. Like I said, I will play all the games so that's not that big of a factor. When making your recommendations though, please let me know which game you think is the most fun because that could impact my choice.

Thanks.
blade_master
Boo
Boo

PreviousNext

Return to WiiU / Wii