Wii U - The "everything" Info Thread

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: Wii U - The Launch Info Thread

Postby ddddd » 14 Nov 2012 21:46

Only four days.... Is there anything else that Nintendo still has to address/confirm besides how to manage your downloaded games through NNID?
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby KingBroly » 14 Nov 2012 21:57

ddddd wrote:Only four days.... Is there anything else that Nintendo still has to address/confirm besides how to manage your downloaded games through NNID?

If VC/WW games will be tied to your NNID or not once you transfer them.

Same goes for downloadable games being played from an external HDD or not. I think they will be, but they haven't outright said 'yes, this is how it'll work.'
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
My Alternate Account is Cortjezter
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby J0RdAnN » 14 Nov 2012 22:05

they also haven't said if VC games you downloaded from Wii will be updated once they release on the Wii U VC.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby KingBroly » 14 Nov 2012 23:58

They will...for a price.

And one of my questions was recently answered in a satisfactory way.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby ddddd » 15 Nov 2012 18:11

Hmmm, since the HDDs are unusable on PC, SD Cards are useless except for wii transfers, and the web browser wont let us download files... Does this means WiiU has no offline multimedia features at all?

That would be very unfortunate, Wii and 3DS had media playback/viewing :(
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 15 Nov 2012 18:33

ddddd wrote:Hmmm, since the HDDs are unusable on PC, SD Cards are useless except for wii transfers, and the web browser wont let us download files... Does this means WiiU has no offline multimedia features at all?

Just because you can't run games off of the SD card that doesn't mean it's completely useless outside of transferring.

I'd imagine that if the console does have some way of doing that stuff it would be via SD card
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Postby gtt » 15 Nov 2012 18:33

ddddd wrote:Hmmm, since the HDDs are unusable on PC, SD Cards are useless except for wii transfers, and the web browser wont let us download files... Does this means WiiU has no offline multimedia features at all?

probably not. unless you count picture viewing in wiimode as a thing.

ps3 will probably remain the best at acting as a hub for your local stuff.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby hakkai » 16 Nov 2012 06:09

Quick question...

I hate to bring up something that's probably been explained, but what does Nintendo mean by "self power" USB hds and what are they exactly...And how do I know if mine is self powered or not...
hakkai
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: HakkaiShinato

Postby KingBroly » 16 Nov 2012 06:46

Basically, it's an External HDD that plugs into a power outlet. That's what "self powered" means.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby CaptainFalco311 » 16 Nov 2012 16:09

Amazon's telling me that my New Super Mario Bros. U pre-order is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, but it hasn't shipped yet (and I only got Super Saver Shipping on it). If I don't get that game by Thanksgiving, I'm going to be pissed
CaptainFalco311
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: CaptainFalco311

Postby Ragnarokstorymaker » 16 Nov 2012 17:21

Is there going to be a thread were we would post our NiN ID's? Or will they just be added to the profiles with XBL gamertags and PSN ID's? I think it'd be really cool to create like a GoNin community on Miiverse.
Ragnarokstorymaker
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: RagnarokSM
PSN: RagnarokSM
XBL: DiehardStingray

Postby hakkai » 16 Nov 2012 18:21

KingBroly wrote:Basically, it's an External HDD that plugs into a power outlet. That's what "self powered" means.

Well shovel...So I bought a whole TB just for the WiiU and now it won't work with it...and I got the sh**** 8gb one, so I won't be downloading anything...
hakkai
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby gtt » 16 Nov 2012 18:27

hakkai wrote:
KingBroly wrote:Basically, it's an External HDD that plugs into a power outlet. That's what "self powered" means.

Well shovel...So I bought a whole TB just for the WiiU and now it won't work with it...and I got the sh**** 8gb one, so I won't be downloading anything...

almost every external hard drive made will have an ac adapter with it. if not, you can get a y cable, which pulls the standard usb power from two ports. both are jank solutions in a world where USB + Power is a standard. but whatevs.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby hakkai » 16 Nov 2012 18:52

Nintendo, we are now enemies...

Mine only has 1 port, but what electronic doesn't supply power to its external devices...
Why does Nintendo make some of the best stuff in the industry, but have trouble with the most simple no brain S*** anybody else wouldn't give a 2nd thought about being natural...

They are like Metalacalypse, they can do awesome stuff, but have trouble with simple things...
hakkai
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby KingBroly » 16 Nov 2012 19:36

You can buy a Y-cable for like $10 online.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby hakkai » 16 Nov 2012 19:43

KingBroly wrote:You can buy a Y-cable for like $10 online.

Yeah, but its stupid I have to buy extra crap in the 1st place. The HDD was already like $90...

I hope Wal-Mart has them, I usually don't buy stuff online unless its Nintendo...

And it would be really suspicious if they started selling y cables...
hakkai
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby gtt » 16 Nov 2012 20:15

hakkai wrote:

Yeah, but its stupid I have to buy extra crap in the 1st place. The HDD was already like $90

THANK YOU.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby KingBroly » 16 Nov 2012 20:39

hakkai wrote:

Yeah, but its stupid I have to buy extra crap in the 1st place. The HDD was already like $90...

I hope Wal-Mart has them, I usually don't buy stuff online unless its Nintendo...

It's legalese to cover their asses over potential lawsuits.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby hakkai » 16 Nov 2012 20:49

KingBroly wrote:
hakkai wrote:

It's legalese to cover their asses over potential lawsuits.

What's legalese..
hakkai
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby KingBroly » 16 Nov 2012 21:01

It's probably fine to use a non-powered USB HDD on Wii U, but they say not to say they can't be held liable in cort in case someone does and it blows up or all of your data is lost.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby komicturtle92 » 16 Nov 2012 22:10

Well, I already bit the bullet and bought my WiiU through NewEgg. Finally.. but at a freaking giant cost. Made me so nervous- $543 with NSMBU, ZombiU and Black Ops 2. But I'm selling Black Ops 2 and possibly NSMBU for $50 each on eBay. If anyone wants, let me know. I'm out $20, but that's fine. Holy freaking cow. Just when I said being loyal to NewEgg didn't pay off, they turn around last minute and do this. I'm so glad my boss gave me more hours, so my finances are A-OK.

I'm kinda trembling. From excitement.. and the fact I downed a supplement earlier today.
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Postby pokemaster515 » 16 Nov 2012 23:00

So we need a hard drive that needs to be plugged in? Dang it, I already have enough things plugged in by my TV! First I was just gonna get a 32GB SD card but that doesn't work and now this! I guess they just don't want people to download digital. I really don't know what NIntendo was thinking or why they even bother with this crap! They might as well have just put a built in hard drive but I guess they were too cheap for that too! This stuff just put me in a bad mood! >:(
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby komicturtle92 » 16 Nov 2012 23:28

pokemaster515 wrote:So we need a hard drive that needs to be plugged in? Dang it, I already have enough things plugged in by my TV! First I was just gonna get a 32GB SD card but that doesn't work and now this! I guess they just don't want people to download digital. I really don't know what NIntendo was thinking or why they even bother with this crap! They might as well have just put a built in hard drive but I guess they were too cheap for that too! This stuff just put me in a bad mood! >:(

Look at it in this light:

The WiiU would cost $450 if it came with a 320GB HDD. So, spending $100 for say, a 1TB HDD on top of the $350 WiiU would amount to $450 anyhow. Now, that's just a prediction, but I have think that it costs a lot to include a built-in HDD. The cost for storage has been rapidly declining over the years. I remember in 2010 Target selling a 1TB HDD Portfolio for $80 and feeling stung when I bought a 750GB HDD for $70 a month earlier (for school purposes, but I haven't used the HDD at all since until I get my WiiU Wednesday).

I think it was good of Nintendo to not impose a set storage and possibly lock us out of using our own hardrives. Microsoft used to limit people to use 16GB from a HDD and recently opened it up to 32GB- even if your HDD is 1 or 3TB! Sony on the other hand, has an open approach. Sure, you get a 250 GB PS3 Slim, but if you want more, grab an HDD and expand your memory.

I love an open approach. But I do share your sentiments in regards to not using an SD Card to save your games on or load them up like on 3DS. It's a very strange and obtuse rule by Nintendo that I hope they get rid of in a future update. There are people embracing digital but there are others who rather save that for smaller original downloadable games vs retial downloads.

I'm going to make use of both. I mean, I'll get $5 in credit if I reach 500 points.

I think people need to find that right balance for themselves and money. Not everyone shares the same standards.

On another note, I hate the double standards of the biased media. It's okay for Apple to sell an iPad with 16GB and 32GB for over $500 with NO EXTERNAL support, but Nintendo, or any other, oh no- bad. And the latter offer external memory to be used. I guess the iCloud makes up for that but I rather get things off an SD Card rather than off the cloud. Like if I go to my Sister's house who doesn't have internet, I'm stuck.
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby pokemaster515 » 16 Nov 2012 23:34

I guess what I meant is Nintendo should have gotten it right in the first place instead of depending on their fans to make up excuses for them. I'm getting tired of constantly defending Nintendo for all the stupid things they do and you should be tired of it too.
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby komicturtle92 » 16 Nov 2012 23:55

I'm not defending Nintendo. Just being realistic. There are a LOAD of things that Nintendo has done that I hate.

It's weird, but I kinda look at Nintendo as a parent. I've grown up with them. And there are lots of things that they do that annoy the hell outta me like my real parents. But you always love them no matter what.

Well, that's how I feel. Not sure about you.

I'm very displeased that they have yet to update the 3DS to allow Nintendo Network ID use. And they better get on it. One of my biggest pet peeves is how they wait a long time to implement what should be a very simple feature. And they're typical "Oh, that update is coming in May. Late May." and it turns out to be the very last day of that month... My god :/
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy

PreviousNext

Return to WiiU / Wii