Wii U - The "everything" Info Thread

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Re: Wii U - The "everything" Info Thread

Postby gtt » 14 Jul 2013 16:40

KingBroly wrote:
gtt wrote:
KingBroly wrote:I think Ubisoft is in more trouble than EA at the moment. Their business model is such that if one of their big 1000 man developed games doesn't break even, they're in trouble. EA...well, they're just pissing off people left and right with their games, and not just Nintendo fans.

I think ubi is in the better place *today* than EA is in *today*. but you're right about ubi. If they could get off this annualization craze, they have a more solid foundation than EA in my estimation. Especially going into next gen.

I think what saves EA is their annualization craze, i.e. their sports games. While FIFA isn't great, it's better than Pro Evolution Soccer, and besides the NBA, they basically own every other sport they touch. As well as Star Wars. Beyond that however, they are making huge mistakes with how they are handling their business. Ubisoft doesn't have such a luxury.

annualization is what has driven ubi to have 500+ development teams. EA's mistakes are similar. however, I think ubi is healthier, because they can live without the annualized titles and survive. EA can't. and EA will keep chasing the "CoD gamer" and burn hundreds of millions of dollars to do it.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby KingBroly » 15 Jul 2013 15:41

EA would make a profit if Madden only sold 5 million copies this year, whereas Ubisoft would have a significant loss if AC4 or Watch Dogs did the same. That's a major difference in philosophy between the two. EA could easily shift away from the annualization model and be fine whereas it would cripple Ubisoft to do the same.
Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention
Sakamoto Lied. Samus Died.
I write things here from time to time
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: KingBroly
3DS: 3351-4164-6416
Steam ID: KingBroly
Wii: 8135-0917-9758-1594
PSN: KingBroly
XBL: KingBroly

Postby gtt » 15 Jul 2013 20:11

KingBroly wrote:EA would make a profit if Madden only sold 5 million copies this year, whereas Ubisoft would have a significant loss if AC4 or Watch Dogs did the same. That's a major difference in philosophy between the two. EA could easily shift away from the annualization model and be fine whereas it would cripple Ubisoft to do the same.

sure if they fired all their other staff.
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach

NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Postby ddddd » 20 Jul 2013 11:33

Anyone with Revelaitons here has managed to see creature messages on Raid Mode?
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby FadedAreWii » 22 Jul 2013 20:21

Anyone notice how the 30cent games end just when Nintendo starts their stream of releases? Coincidence?
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Postby gbpackers31 » 23 Jul 2013 01:28

FadedAreWii wrote:Anyone notice how the 30cent games end just when Nintendo starts their stream of releases? Coincidence?

It's been said before, but the 30 cent games was almost certainly the ambassador program for early adopters.
gbpackers31
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Devil_Rising » 23 Jul 2013 02:04

FadedAreWii wrote:Anyone notice how the 30cent games end just when Nintendo starts their stream of releases? Coincidence?

Yes and no. They stated from the beginning that the 30 cent releases were a celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Famicom, which came out in July 1983.
Last edited by Popple on 23 Jul 2013 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: MOD EDIT: Removed off-topic content
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby Berrix » 23 Jul 2013 17:24

So after a weekend with the god-daughter, I'm surprised none of you had spoken about the new Nintendo Direct Mini that came out Friday.

Are we all just so comfortable under that 'Great Rock of Crushing Negativity?' :wink:
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby FadedAreWii » 23 Jul 2013 18:16

I ignored it since i don't really want to see much more on Pikmin and 101.
Skyward
FadedAreWii
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: WiiareFaded

Postby KingBroly » 23 Jul 2013 18:16

Berrix wrote:So after a weekend with the god-daughter, I'm surprised none of you had spoken about the new Nintendo Direct Mini that came out Friday.

Are we all just so comfortable under that 'Great Rock of Crushing Negativity?' :wink:

The Direct Mini was on Thursday.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby Berrix » 23 Jul 2013 18:49

KingBroly wrote:
Berrix wrote:So after a weekend with the god-daughter, I'm surprised none of you had spoken about the new Nintendo Direct Mini that came out Friday.

The Direct Mini was on Thursday.

I was away by Thursday morning, and when I checked the ND on Monday at the eShop, it listed Friday. Probably that was when it got posted there, perhaps, but that was all I got to go off of. :oops:

As for the ND; I liked it, really summed up a lineup pretty decently for the holidays. Even he mentions third parties being a little scarce (in the most professional way I've seen yet), but highlights and encourages some of the support.

No super-amazing secret bonus announcement at the end of it, though. Was hoping to hear a release of Art Academy at least.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby KingBroly » 25 Jul 2013 13:04

COD: Ghosts officially confirmed for Wii U. They didn't even til' September this time.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby ddddd » 25 Jul 2013 17:05

The PR says the U version will use the new engine, interesting. The PRs for the current gen versions say anything like that?
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby KingBroly » 25 Jul 2013 17:17

ddddd wrote:The PR says the U version will use the new engine, interesting. The PRs for the current gen versions say anything like that?

I'm not sure. Keep in mind that this 'new engine' is a retweaked version of the same engine.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby Rurouni720 » 25 Jul 2013 17:32

It's going to use the new engine? Intriguing, i wonder if Activation utilized better tools to make that happen.

Though i bet the New Engine is pr--lol King Broly beat me to it.
Rurouni720
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Rurouni720
3DS: 4511-0918-1595
PSN: Fullmatrix09

Postby CrispyGoomba » 25 Jul 2013 22:50

Sorry, but if you buy CoD Ghosts on Wii U, you'll be getting robbed blinded. Xbox 360 and PS3 versions (And in this case PS4 & Xbone as well) are always the best version. DLC on time, bigger online communities, better/more features, etc.

The only reason that you should have if you do buy it on Wii U is that you don't have any other consoles...in which that case I feel really bad for you. But by all means, buy what you want.
CrispyGoomba
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: CrispyGoomba
3DS: 0688-5315-1722
Wii: 1198-2138-8210-1532
XBL: CrispyGoomba

Postby KingBroly » 25 Jul 2013 23:17

CrispyGoomba wrote:Sorry, but if you buy CoD Ghosts on Wii U, you'll be getting robbed blinded. Xbox 360 and PS3 versions (And in this case PS4 & Xbone as well) are always the best version. DLC on time, bigger online communities, better/more features, etc.

The only reason that you should have if you do buy it on Wii U is that you don't have any other consoles...in which that case I feel really bad for you. But by all means, buy what you want.

You want me to play that game? OKAY!

Sorry, but if you buy COD Ghosts for 360, you're being robbed blind. Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions, you're charged for multiplayer, which goes to support Activison, are always the worst versions with whiny 12 year old kids screaming loudly into your headset that you suck, a camera that's always spying on you, and more features that are ultimately pointless.

The only reason you should have if you do buy it on 360/Xbox One is that you don't mind paying twice for the game...in which case I feel bad for you. But by all means, buy what you want.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby pokemaster515 » 25 Jul 2013 23:33

CrispyGoomba wrote:Sorry, but if you buy CoD Ghosts on Wii U, you'll be getting robbed blinded. Xbox 360 and PS3 versions (And in this case PS4 & Xbone as well) are always the best version. DLC on time, bigger online communities, better/more features, etc.

Always the best version? You know this based on the whole ONE time you even had the chance to compare? And you are so sure that the PS360 versions will be the "best" versions (except they won't be since there will be superior PS4/Xbone versions which will suffer the same limited community as Wii U so they won't either)? I mean it's not like the base campaign or multiplayer modes are at all the same or anything, because we all know that PS360 just has SOOO much more to offer.

And the only reason to get it for the Wii U is if you don't have another console, not that just MAYBE you want to help build the Wii U community or have friends on the system to play with. But I guess since third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles we shouldn't even try right? Just keep buying them for our last generation consoles. :roll:
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby Devil_Rising » 26 Jul 2013 02:08

KingBroly wrote:
You want me to play that game? OKAY!

Sorry, but if you buy COD Ghosts for 360, you're being robbed blind. Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions, you're charged for multiplayer, which goes to support Activison, are always the worst versions with whiny 12 year old kids screaming loudly into your headset that you suck, a camera that's always spying on you, and more features that are ultimately pointless.

The only reason you should have if you do buy it on 360/Xbox One is that you don't mind paying twice for the game...in which case I feel bad for you. But by all means, buy what you want.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Broly, everything you just said also pretty much sums up how I feel about Sony sneaking in mandatory PS Plus subscriptions to play online for PS4. To me that's total BS. And it's just what you said, it feels like paying for the same game twice over. Games are already expensive enough as it is, and the very idea of being forced to pay just to play the already-on-disc online modes is fuckin' absurd. That's one of many reasons I'm glad to be sticking with the Wii U this gen (whereas I owned a PS the last two gens as well). I seriously hope Nintendo never gets into the "hey we can make more money by charging people for online access to their games" scam.

It's amazing to me just how many PS fans seem to be completely okay with the idea of getting bent over their PS4. :roll:
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby Rurouni720 » 26 Jul 2013 02:55

Paying online for the PS4 is probably only thing i actually HATE about the system, i intensely abhorred XBL's requirement of having to churn out $$$ to join online multiplayer and the i still want to kick Sony in the shin very hard for considering it in order to even play online multiplayer on the PS4 when they were fine without forcing it on the PS3/Vita (especially PS3 which was one of the biggest reasons why i ditched getting another 360). I'm making an exception for it now since the PS4 appeals to me enough to put it and Wii U in a combo for my console gaming once Next Gen kicks off.

Thank god Nintendo's sticking with free online, however that doesn't mean they shouldn't fix what they left out for the Wii U's OS.

XB1 though, pfft i'll never even consider purchasing that POS no matter how much MS tries to damage control it's image from the disaster that loomed over it after the reveal (before the 180 took place of course).
Rurouni720
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: Rurouni720
3DS: 4511-0918-1595
PSN: Fullmatrix09

Postby KingBroly » 26 Jul 2013 03:07

If Nintendo could get away with charging for online, they would, but they know they can't.
KingBroly
Site Mod
Site Mod

Postby MoldyClay » 26 Jul 2013 03:23

Not sure you know what being robbed means.

- Wii U has free online, unlike 360, XBO or PS4.
- Late DLC is totally irrelevant. You're not being charged extra.

You're right about them having bigger communities and more features, but "robbed" is not the word for it when you're allowed to play online for free and just because you have to wait to pay more money for maps and **** that don't actually matter.
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby ddddd » 26 Jul 2013 05:56

Blops2 right now is one of the very few games on WiiU that has solo play, offline multiplayer (with bot support), online play, and splitscreen online play, in addition to all the features it has (replays, screenshots, emblems, more control options on Wii U, etc) and it receives regular updates from Treyarch. Blops2 was missing only three things: Elite, Youtube streaming, and DLC. The first two could be attributed to Wii U's online being a secret to everyone, the later to the games poor sales and small userbase. Even if its missing some stuff, a Wii U version of CoD would hardly be a robbery.

KingBroly wrote:If Nintendo could get away with charging for online, they would, but they know they can't.

When they start adding more features to the Nintendo Network, eventually they'll do.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby CrispyGoomba » 26 Jul 2013 07:02

I'm glad everyone had their gallon of salt this morning because you guys are all salty! I'm glad to know that the mods here at GoNintendo are the same as Neogaf mods (Take that as you will...).

pokemaster515 wrote:Always the best version? You know this based on the whole ONE time you even had the chance to compare? And you are so sure that the PS360 versions will be the "best" versions (except they won't be since there will be superior PS4/Xbone versions which will suffer the same limited community as Wii U so they won't either)? I mean it's not like the base campaign or multiplayer modes are at all the same or anything, because we all know that PS360 just has SOOO much more to offer.

And the only reason to get it for the Wii U is if you don't have another console, not that just MAYBE you want to help build the Wii U community or have friends on the system to play with. But I guess since third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles we shouldn't even try right? Just keep buying them for our last generation consoles.

Best version as in most content packed in. If you think this time will be any different, think again. I know VGCharts doesn't have a good rep, but pre-order sales of the PS4 and Xbone versions are reaching 30k (If not more) which is who the hell knows a lot more than what Black Ops 2 sold on Wii U. It's cool that you have friends on your Wii U, but it's not fun to play when Nintendo half-asses their online system.

Rurouni720 wrote:XB1 though, pfft i'll never even consider purchasing that POS no matter how much MS tries to damage control it's image from the disaster that loomed over it after the reveal (before the 180 took place of course).

I don't get people like this...they are taking out all of the BS that the Xbone originally was, so what is stopping you from buying from them? Not trusting them? If they try pulling it again, it won't be with the Xbox One...so just don't buy from them then.

MoldyClay wrote:Not sure you know what being robbed means.

- Wii U has free online, unlike 360, XBO or PS4.
- Late DLC is totally irrelevant. You're not being charged extra.

You're right about them having bigger communities and more features, but "robbed" is not the word for it when you're allowed to play online for free and just because you have to wait to pay more money for maps and **** that don't actually matter.

Good points, but in case you haven't noticed yet, Wii U has a terrible online structure. I think late DLC is relevant because many people buy games on launch day and then it takes time to bring out DLC (Nevermind day-one DLC right now). Now, add more time it takes to bring to Wii U. Majority of people won't be interested because either another game has caught their attention or something else. It might not matter to you personally, but some people care about having DLC released along with other systems.
CrispyGoomba
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: CrispyGoomba
3DS: 0688-5315-1722
Wii: 1198-2138-8210-1532
XBL: CrispyGoomba

Postby Koopzilla » 26 Jul 2013 07:58

I keep hearing people talk about how terrible the online for the Wii U is. What exactly is so bad about it? Am I just incredibly lucky to not have had a single problem with it?

I'm with Rurouni720 about the X-Bone. I don't trust them, they said themselves they could reverse their policies at any moment. They still have the always on Kinect. And why would I want to buy from a company that thought we should all be okay with the crap they tried pulling, they even went so far as to ridicule people who weren't okay with it before doing their 180. I think the only reason they decided to drop the online checkup requirement is that they will be making more games that are online only like Titanfall, thus tricking you into being required to be online anyway. I wouldn't even consider owning one ever.

And personally I would never pay to play a system online. If Nintendo did it, I wouldn't pay either. I don't see it so much as being charged twice for a game, but being charged twice for my internet. I'm actually surprised at the amount of people who are okay with this.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

PreviousNext

Return to WiiU / Wii