I could only get a basic package...

Everything about the Wii and its games...

I could only get a basic package...

Postby ManoTikiTia » 08 Nov 2012 12:18

I could only get a basic package because deluxe was sold out. I was fine with this because they're doesn't seem to be much different, but now I'm worried that the space won't be enough for a hardcore gamer.
ManoTikiTia
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Nov 2012 12:10

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby komicturtle92 » 08 Nov 2012 12:50

Well, you need to throw that "hardcore gamer" notion out the window as it's pretty irrelevant (hate silly labels like that)

Sorry to hear you're stuck with the basic. If you have some extra $100, I suggest looking for a 1TB HDD. NewEgg might have some really good deals. Also, check on black friday too. You might struck gold for a good HDD at a great price.
Image
User avatar
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 24 Apr 2012 14:47
NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby ManoTikiTia » 08 Nov 2012 13:41

I hate terms in general but I sat at the keyboard trying to find a word to describe what I meant. So your saying that I will be able to get more space if the time comes? Because that's all I care about.
ManoTikiTia
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Nov 2012 12:10

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby Popple » 08 Nov 2012 13:44

Yeah, both models definitely allow you to plug in external hard drives (any drive you want - nothing proprietary like Xbox!) and use those for extra storage. Nintendo really did it right this time around.
This post copyright ©2014 by Popple. All rights reserved. No part of this post may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the copyright owner. This post is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events was done on purpose.
User avatar
Popple
Site Mod
Site Mod
 
Posts: 853
Joined: 12 Apr 2007 21:48
Location: Kansas
NN ID: Popple
3DS: 5069-4025-8184

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby mariomaniac45213 » 08 Nov 2012 14:38

Damn you poor soul.... :( But alas I probably won't be getting one for awhile...Christmas if i'm EXTREMELY lucky.
Finally got a PS3 sooo add me if you want. :)
User avatar
mariomaniac45213
Toad
Toad
 
Posts: 951
Joined: 28 May 2009 10:13
Location: Mushroom Kingdom and DK Island
Wii: 0257-0866-8958-0148
PSN: TheDestructo1994
XBL: TheDestructo94

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby ManoTikiTia » 08 Nov 2012 14:56

Thank you! I fell better now. I know I feel so spoiled, here I am complaining when people can't even order one. I'm like the first class on the titanic.
ManoTikiTia
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Nov 2012 12:10

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 08 Nov 2012 17:25

mariomaniac45213 wrote:Damn you poor soul.... :( But alas I probably won't be getting one for awhile...Christmas if i'm EXTREMELY lucky.

Same here.

I, myself am on the GameStop Waitlist… :(
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
User avatar
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: 25 Mar 2011 01:10
Location: The World Beyond This And That
NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby gtt » 08 Nov 2012 18:48

ManoTikiTia wrote:I could only get a basic package because deluxe was sold out. I was fine with this because they're doesn't seem to be much different, but now I'm worried that the space won't be enough for a hardcore gamer.


32GB isn't really enough either. that's enough space for just about 1 retail game.
User avatar
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: 11 May 2010 22:56
Location: Arrakis, Known as Dune. Home of the Spice.
NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby YoshiRider123 » 08 Nov 2012 21:02

ManoTikiTia wrote:Thank you! I fell better now. I know I feel so spoiled, here I am complaining when people can't even order one. I'm like the first class on the titanic.

I'm not sure if that's a good analogy, considering that the Titanic, uh...

gtt wrote:32GB isn't really enough either. that's enough space for just about 1 retail game.

Hahahaha.
Last edited by YoshiRider123 on 08 Nov 2012 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
User avatar
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 24 Jul 2011 12:46
Location: Trenton, NJ
NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby komicturtle92 » 08 Nov 2012 21:04

Amazon is having a fantastic set of deals on HDDs. I saw one for 1TB for $80-90

Price will be coming down. And tbh, most original DL games on WiiU won't take up so much space vs a full retail game. But look for a 500GB for cheap as it could suffice. If you have the extra money, grab a 1TB HDD or even 2TB.

8GB is pretty low so I wouldn't recommend going crazy downloading until you get a decent HDD or even an SD Card. 16GB SD cards are cheap and could hold you off a bit.

It all comes down to your budget and your plans of downloads.
Image
User avatar
komicturtle92
Shyguy
Shyguy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: 24 Apr 2012 14:47
NN ID: komicturtle
3DS: Ask me to add

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby Devil_Rising » 08 Nov 2012 21:13

ManoTikiTia wrote:I hate terms in general but I sat at the keyboard trying to find a word to describe what I meant. So your saying that I will be able to get more space if the time comes? Because that's all I care about.



Nintendo has said from the beginning that you can use any USB 2.0 external hard drives, as well as most SD cards, to expand memory.


@gtt

You could be right, for the crowd that actually wants to sit and wait for hours to download a full retail game onto their system. It's a cool feature, but me, I'd rather just go out, buy the game, and own the physical copy. The only games I'm personally going to ever be downloading, are the smaller "WiiWare" and VC type games anyway.
Image
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
User avatar
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: 27 May 2009 13:03
NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby gtt » 08 Nov 2012 22:11

Devil_Rising wrote:
ManoTikiTia wrote:I hate terms in general but I sat at the keyboard trying to find a word to describe what I meant. So your saying that I will be able to get more space if the time comes? Because that's all I care about.



Nintendo has said from the beginning that you can use any USB 2.0 external hard drives, as well as most SD cards, to expand memory.


@gtt

You could be right, for the crowd that actually wants to sit and wait for hours to download a full retail game onto their system. It's a cool feature, but me, I'd rather just go out, buy the game, and own the physical copy. The only games I'm personally going to ever be downloading, are the smaller "WiiWare" and VC type games anyway.


hours? if it takes hours to download 15 or 16GB then digital distro is totally not for you. and if it takes hours on my connection, then maybe digital distro is not for nintendo either :)
User avatar
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: 11 May 2010 22:56
Location: Arrakis, Known as Dune. Home of the Spice.
NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 08 Nov 2012 22:39

At least you were able to get a Wii U, I won't be getting one until at least Christmas 2013 (not kidding), and even then I don't know which one I'll be able to get, hopefully the Deluxe one.

As for the storage thing, you can always rely on external hard drives.
Image
Random, useless Trivia: The Wii U GamePad fits in a big pocket, do I recommend you to do so? NO!
User avatar
HammerGalladeBro
Toad
Toad
 
Posts: 967
Joined: 27 Apr 2012 18:46
Location: Saltillo, Coah, Mexico
NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby Mako » 08 Nov 2012 23:31

The space definitely won't be enough. Like others have said, I would look for an external hard drive. Luckily, you can buy whichever kind you want and they will all work.
User avatar
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 14:32
Location: Michigan
NN ID: Mako91
3DS: 4167-4543-6089
Wii: 0725-3780-1331-9030
PSN: yugoboy91

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby YoshiRider123 » 09 Nov 2012 00:44

gtt wrote:hours? if it takes hours to download 15 or 16GB then digital distro is totally not for you. and if it takes hours on my connection, then maybe digital distro is not for nintendo either :)

No, that just means it's not for you too. That's like saying Netflix has faulty video streaming because you're trying to watch movies on a 56K dial-up connection. It's not Nintendo's fault if you can't download a game at a desirable rate, especially if you haven't the faintest idea of how networking works.
ImageImage
User avatar
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 24 Jul 2011 12:46
Location: Trenton, NJ
NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby gtt » 09 Nov 2012 01:06

YoshiRider123 wrote:
gtt wrote:hours? if it takes hours to download 15 or 16GB then digital distro is totally not for you. and if it takes hours on my connection, then maybe digital distro is not for nintendo either :)

No, that just means it's not for you too. That's like saying Netflix has faulty video streaming because you're trying to watch movies on a 56K dial-up connection. It's not Nintendo's fault if you can't download a game at a desirable rate, especially if you haven't the faintest idea of how networking works.


...the point, you missed it.

If for example, Steam downloads at a constant 2.5MB/s(that's big B, as in byte) and my Wiiu only downloads at 20KB/s...

that was the joke.
User avatar
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: 11 May 2010 22:56
Location: Arrakis, Known as Dune. Home of the Spice.
NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby Devil_Rising » 09 Nov 2012 03:45

gtt wrote:hours? if it takes hours to download 15 or 16GB then digital distro is totally not for you. and if it takes hours on my connection, then maybe digital distro is not for nintendo either :)



Obviously it was an exageration. But I've experienced some long waits just downloading a game that's a couple of gigs for PS3. So downloading 10, 15, 20+ gigs? Not really for me, at all. I'd rather just have the disc, pop it in, and play.

That is, assuming they don't make you automatically load half the disc content to your system like PS3 does, which it doesn't sound like it will. :lol:
Image
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
User avatar
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: 27 May 2009 13:03
NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby YoshiRider123 » 09 Nov 2012 04:04

gtt wrote:
YoshiRider123 wrote:
gtt wrote:hours? if it takes hours to download 15 or 16GB then digital distro is totally not for you. and if it takes hours on my connection, then maybe digital distro is not for nintendo either :)

No, that just means it's not for you too. That's like saying Netflix has faulty video streaming because you're trying to watch movies on a 56K dial-up connection. It's not Nintendo's fault if you can't download a game at a desirable rate, especially if you haven't the faintest idea of how networking works.


...the point, you missed it.

If for example, Steam downloads at a constant 2.5MB/s(that's big B, as in byte) and my Wiiu only downloads at 20KB/s...

that was the joke.

Well, yeah. I understood that. But it's an unrealistic hyperbole that would have to mean that the fault's with the user's connection rather than the system having really bad download speeds.
User avatar
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 24 Jul 2011 12:46
Location: Trenton, NJ
NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby Teddie » 10 Nov 2012 15:05

Well, I was going to get the Basic model, even though I wanted the Deluxe model. But thanks to Jury duty, I lost $120 for not working Friday, so now I can't get either... I probably won't get one until next year... Maybe it's for the best. That way I can get the Deluxe model that way.
Check out my up and coming company's, Prosperous Interlude, games and other projects in development at http://www.facebook.com/prosperousinterlude and http://www.twitter.com/prosp_interlude
User avatar
Teddie
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 25 May 2012 18:43
3DS: 2707 2934 2814

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby MichaelVash7886 » 10 Nov 2012 15:25

gtt wrote:
32GB isn't really enough either. that's enough space for just about 1 retail game.

Honestly people don't believe me when I say it's really not enough. I have a PS3 with a 320 GB hard drive. With demos patches and games that's perpetually full. BF3 has around 5 or 6 GB of files needed. Those that think they will have plenty with 32 GB may be in for a surprise.
MichaelVash7886
Goomba
Goomba
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 15 Sep 2012 22:33

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby GamerGuy1975 » 10 Nov 2012 18:00

ManoTikiTia wrote:I could only get a basic package because deluxe was sold out. I was fine with this because they're doesn't seem to be much different, but now I'm worried that the space won't be enough for a hardcore gamer.


Quite honestly if your worried about space, then the deluxe will not be enough either.

Your best bet is to pick up a cheap USB 2.0 external hard drive to use with the Wii U
GamerGuy1975
Fairy
Fairy
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Nov 2012 17:30
PSN: The_Dribble
XBL: The Dribble

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby gtt » 10 Nov 2012 18:04

GamerGuy1975 wrote:
ManoTikiTia wrote:I could only get a basic package because deluxe was sold out. I was fine with this because they're doesn't seem to be much different, but now I'm worried that the space won't be enough for a hardcore gamer.


Quite honestly if your worried about space, then the deluxe will not be enough either.

Your best bet is to pick up a cheap USB 2.0 external hard drive to use with the Wii U


yea, the only reason to get the deluxe is the bonus points, and if you want the color. I hope gamestop will do a full game exchange with me for unopened nintendoland.
User avatar
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: 11 May 2010 22:56
Location: Arrakis, Known as Dune. Home of the Spice.
NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby Ragnarokstorymaker » 10 Nov 2012 21:33

I'm also picking up a deluxe bundle and was wondering where are some good places to buy external harddrives or USB 2.0s? I can't shop online because I don't own a credit card, so my only option is retail stores. And what's the suggested size for someone who plans on d/ling alot of full games and Eshop games?
Last edited by Ragnarokstorymaker on 11 Nov 2012 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Ragnarokstorymaker
Chocobo
Chocobo
 
Posts: 47
Joined: 29 Aug 2009 13:59
Location: Detroit
NN ID: RagnarokSM
PSN: RagnarokSM
XBL: DiehardStingray

Re: I could only get a basic package...

Postby gtt » 11 Nov 2012 00:16

Ragnarokstorymaker wrote:I'm also picking up a deluxe bundle and was wondering where are some good places to buy external harddrives or USB 2.0s? I can't shop online because I don't own a credit card, so my only option is retail stores. And what's the suggested size for someone who plans on d/ling alit if full games and Eshop games?


you can get a pre-paid credit card. if that's not an option, try microcenter, bestbuy, wal-mart. etc.

I'd get at least 750GB or more if you are gonna go full digital.
User avatar
gtt
Kwisatz Haderach
 
Posts: 1618
Joined: 11 May 2010 22:56
Location: Arrakis, Known as Dune. Home of the Spice.
NN ID: supergtt
3DS: 3394-3550-1815


Return to WiiU / Wii

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users