Gamepad protection?

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Gamepad protection?

Postby Eternal Rain » 12 Nov 2012 10:46

Last time I got screen protectors was for my original 3DS and I didn't really like them because I couldn't remove them after dust somehow managed to get under them. So does anyone know a way that might help to protect my Wii U gamepad screen without needing a screen protector? I want to be able to use my fingers and such on the screen without leaving sweaty fingerprints all over (sadly my hands sweat a lot when playing games), since some games, like ZombiU, make it look like using my thumb will be much faster than reaching for the stylus constantly.
Eternal Rain
Boo
Boo

Re: Screen protection?

Postby pokemaster515 » 12 Nov 2012 20:15

Hmm... The only thing I can think of is wearing gloves. You could also touch the screen with the tip of your nail thats what I do on my 3DS most of the time but that can cause scratches if you do it too hard or too much. I don't think I want a screen protector on my Gamepad either so I'll just have to get used to fingerprints. Atleast sweaty fingerprints can wipe away so there's that :/
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby J0RdAnN » 12 Nov 2012 20:52

if you spray windex on a paper towel then use it on the screen you'll be able to clean it without damaging the system.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby cobaltorange » 12 Nov 2012 22:09

J0RdAnN wrote:if you spray windex on a paper towel then use it on the screen you'll be able to clean it without damaging the system.

I always thought bleach worked better.
Bourgeois, why would you care for more? They give you almost everything. You believed almost anything.
cobaltorange
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby J0RdAnN » 13 Nov 2012 00:03

i think bleach is too strong. I don't like using harsh chemicals.
Trying to collect all Vivillon in Y/X. Please PM me you have any of the patterns listed below and are willing to trade them.
Icy Snow, Tundra, Archipelago, High Plains, Sandstorm, River, Monsoon, Ocean, Savannah, Jungle
J0RdAnN
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Lemjor10
3DS: 2921-9232-5448

Postby Sammet » 13 Nov 2012 12:58

I dont bother with screen protectors. It's not like they stop finger prints either, you still have to clean the protector. I think most screens are durable enough these days to not need them.
PM me and I'll add you to my 3DS - feel free to add my NNID for WiiU too!
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Samwiise
3DS: 0817-3844-7533
Wii: 6169 7599 9537 5328

Postby Eternal Rain » 13 Nov 2012 13:38

We do keep Windex in the house, so I guess it's fine. I'll just get my fingerprints all over and wipe away with a rag and Windex when needed. :P Yeah not using bleach, way too strong. Windex is a better choice, and as long as the rag isn't completely damp it shouldn't hurt the controller.
Eternal Rain
Boo
Boo

Postby tankers » 20 Nov 2012 13:20

I was thinking about a screen protector, amazed there hasn't been one released for launch. After 2 weeks with Ouendan on my DS I have covered anything with a touchscreen.
tankers
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Jerome » 20 Nov 2012 14:03

J0RdAnN wrote:if you spray windex on a paper towel then use it on the screen you'll be able to clean it without damaging the system.

I'd advise against using a paper towel. The wood fibers in the paper could scratch up the soft plastic on the screen. It's best to use a soft cotton cloth with some cold or lukewarm water, and maybe a bit of mild dish soap. This is also what manufacturers recommend for cleaning optical discs like DVD's, and what eye doctors recommend for cleaning glasses with plastic lenses.
Last edited by Jerome on 20 Nov 2012 14:18, edited 2 times in total.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Jerome » 20 Nov 2012 14:14

Sammet wrote:I dont bother with screen protectors. It's not like they stop finger prints either, you still have to clean the protector. I think most screens are durable enough these days to not need them.

The durability varies greatly depending on the kind of touchscreen. A capacitive touchscreen made from strenghtened glass, like on new smartphones and tablets, should be very scratch resistant. Also, since those are designed to be used with your fingers, you shouldn't have to worry about scratching as long as you don't abuse the thing. A restitive touchscreen like that on the Wii U Gamepad, though, is made from soft, flexible plastic, and is designed to be used with a stylus. If you don't cover it with a screen protector, it will get scratched, though you can minimize this by treating it very gently.
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby tankers » 21 Nov 2012 01:41

Ahhh...after a quick search of Hori products, I found they do make a screen protector for the Gamepad. I like that Hori is recognized by Nintendo and I prefer them over the Nintendo version since they offer a way to get it on without much hassle and pretty much bubble-free. Now just to find one since they are sold out on Amazon :(
tankers
Fairy
Fairy

Postby Sammet » 21 Nov 2012 08:53

Jerome wrote:
Sammet wrote:I dont bother with screen protectors. It's not like they stop finger prints either, you still have to clean the protector. I think most screens are durable enough these days to not need them.

The durability varies greatly depending on the kind of touchscreen. A capacitive touchscreen made from strenghtened glass, like on new smartphones and tablets, should be very scratch resistant. Also, since those are designed to be used with your fingers, you shouldn't have to worry about scratching as long as you don't abuse the thing. A restitive touchscreen like that on the Wii U Gamepad, though, is made from soft, flexible plastic, and is designed to be used with a stylus. If you don't cover it with a screen protector, it will get scratched, though you can minimize this by treating it very gently.

I suppose it depends how vigorous you are with it. I've got a 3DSXL which I've sunk over 100 hours into so far and I've not got any marks on the touch screen. I also had a Nokia 5800 for well over a year (resistive screen) and again it never picked up any scratches except one really annoying one when I accidentally put it in my pocket with my keys.

Maybe if you're the type of gamer who stabs at it then you need a protector but in my experience with resistive touch screens they're still not necessary.
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby Jerome » 21 Nov 2012 14:13

Sammet wrote:I suppose it depends how vigorous you are with it. I've got a 3DSXL which I've sunk over 100 hours into so far and I've not got any marks on the touch screen. I also had a Nokia 5800 for well over a year (resistive screen) and again it never picked up any scratches except one really annoying one when I accidentally put it in my pocket with my keys.

Maybe if you're the type of gamer who stabs at it then you need a protector but in my experience with resistive touch screens they're still not necessary.

I was talking about using a stylus, and how that will cause at least very light scratching over time, because you're rubbing something hard against something softer. Just curious, did you use a stylus much with your 5800 and/or 3DS XL?
Jerome
Octorok
Octorok

Postby Sammet » 21 Nov 2012 19:07

Yep mainly for Kid Icarus and catching up on the Prof Layton series which somehow I missed on the original DS. For the Nokia this was their first attempt at a touchscreen and they barely made symbian touch-friendly, it had all the old tiny menus etc and came with a guitar pick stylus attached as standard.

I do have an old N800 that scratched to hell though. Maybe I just learnt to take it easy on them.
Sammet
Shyguy
Shyguy

Wii U Gamepad Cover Recommendation?

Postby Starseed77 » 27 Nov 2012 13:53

Wii U releases on Friday here in the UK and something I have noticed in every video I have seen is the horrible amount of smudges and fingerprints all over the Wii U console and controller. I am not usually a particularly fussy or clean person but I feel like this is something that will annoy me greatly. So I was wondering if anyone in the US had picked up a cover for their controller and if so which one and would they recommend it? I have seen quite a few covers available to preorder here in the UK which only seem to cover the back and sides and leaves the front open which wouldn't work for me.
Thanks.
Starseed77
Fairy
Fairy

Return to WiiU / Wii