Installing games on internal memory

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Installing games on internal memory

Postby hergipotter » 15 Nov 2012 09:54

As a Nintendo-only Gamer I just recently discovered that on X360 and PS3 you can/have to install part of a disc-game on your hdd (for loading time or noise reasons i guess).
Will this be the case with WiiU, too? I never heard of something like that but some guys in another forum are quite sure this has to be the fact.
If yes, the 8GB Version would be quite pointless...
hergipotter
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: hergipotter

Re: Installing games on internal memory

Postby joshb1983 » 15 Nov 2012 10:02

From what I have heard, I think you do. I don't really like the idea, but it will save some wear and tear on the optical drive...
joshb1983
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby hergipotter » 15 Nov 2012 10:06

Do you have a source for that? Will it be an option or a must?
hergipotter
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Dmolisher » 15 Nov 2012 10:36

I don't think it'll be mandatory. Remember direct translations aren't always accurate especially with Nintendo and even more especially with Miyamoto. The file sizes they were talking about most likely is for those that choose digital download. Also, just in case people don't know the disc drive in the Wii U is faster then PS3/360's. I don't rememer how fast, but I think someone said it's 2-3x faster read speeds then PS3/360. I'll double check the announcement video later and post the actual number. So installation for load times shouldn't be mandatory. It would be nice as an option though as it would help relieve some stress from the optical drive having to constantly read.
Dmolisher
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby hergipotter » 15 Nov 2012 10:45

WiiU: 22,5 MB/s
X360: 15 MB/s
PS3: 9 MB/s

I'm sure the filesizes they were talking about are the complete downloads.
If there was an option to install part of the games on hdd, why was it never mentioned? Or was it and i missed it?
hergipotter
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Dmolisher » 15 Nov 2012 12:14

hergipotter wrote:WiiU: 22,5 MB/s
X360: 15 MB/s
PS3: 9 MB/s

I'm sure the filesizes they were talking about are the complete downloads.
If there was an option to install part of the games on hdd, why was it never mentioned? Or was it and i missed it?

Ah thank you. Currently the installing thing is just speculation. As usual people jump to conclusions. There was a supposed Wii U Feature Detail report by someone don't remember who, but it was unofficial and that report was pure speculation because some of the details were already proven invalid, but of course people didn't want to believe Nintendo or just didn't know better and unfortunately after the surprise Japanese Nintendo Direct people just took the file sizes mentioned for Nintendo Land and NSMBU as install sizes due to the previous reports.
Dmolisher
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby hergipotter » 19 Nov 2012 07:24

So with the WiiU out in US, can someone clarify on this topic?
hergipotter
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Devil_Rising » 19 Nov 2012 07:35

Here's the thing about that. Wii U now functionally has BluRay type discs, with a single-layer 25gb storage capacity, and given the possibility of dual-layering, maybe someday even 50gb. That's a hell of a lot of memory. The reason that PS3 games especially, often (but not always) have you download part of the game data to the system, is because reading all that data would take a lot longer. It's basically to try and eliminate load-times. Especially when you consider that 360 and PS3 disc drives are older. Wii U's may not be THAT much more advanced, but I'm willing to bet it's a faster disc drive, and despite all this talk about "slower" ram, the system itself is, by and large, STILL more powerful than the 360 or PS3.

Regardless, there is a good chance that some games will have you download part of the data, to help ease loading times, etc. Maybe not, but with discs that big, it's something you always have to keep in mind.
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
F-Zero Racer
F-Zero Racer

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby hergipotter » 19 Nov 2012 12:13

Ok, so much about the future but what about the Launch Titles? Is there a single one with the option to install some parts on the harddrive?
hergipotter
Goomba
Goomba

Return to WiiU / Wii