SD cards for Wii mode

Everything about the Wii and its games...

SD cards for Wii mode

Postby Kama » 19 Nov 2012 15:24

May have been answered already but can't find anything on it.

I know we can't store Wii U save data on SD cards, but will save data that's on SD cards work when the system is in Wii mode. I have all of my VC & WiiWare games on on an SD card and want to know if I have to download them all again and start over, I also have some DLC on them. There's obviously not enough space on the Wii internal memory to move all this stuff over before the transfer, so has anyone been able to confirm this?
I WANT MY NON-SPECIFIC ACTION GAME!!11!1
Kama
Chocobo
Chocobo

Re: SD cards for Wii mode

Postby MoldyClay » 19 Nov 2012 15:52

You can use SD cards in Wii mode. In fact, I am almost positive that you can also choose to copy the save files from the SD card itself (in Wii mode).

The games will probably have to be ported over or redownloaded and worst case scenario, you start a game up again, delete the 'new' save and then replace it with the old save.

The main reason for the transfer is for Online-enabled games (like Brawl or Mario Kart) and moving over your Wii Shop account, since it has all the games and DLC you bought on there so the Wii U recognizes it as yours.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Re: SD cards for Wii mode

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 20 Nov 2012 09:47

MoldyClay wrote:You can use SD cards in Wii mode. In fact, I am almost positive that you can also choose to copy the save files from the SD card itself (in Wii mode).

The games will probably have to be ported over or redownloaded and worst case scenario, you start a game up again, delete the 'new' save and then replace it with the old save.

The main reason for the transfer is for Online-enabled games (like Brawl or Mario Kart) and moving over your Wii Shop account, since it has all the games and DLC you bought on there so the Wii U recognizes it as yours.

You indeed can. I wasn't able to put my Pikmin 2 save onto the Wii that had all my VC and WiiWare titles cause I never played it on that Wii and the disc drive is broken. After I transferred everything to Wii U, I booted up Pikmin 2, deleted that save, and moved over the save from the SD card. This was even the same card I used in the transfer, so doing the transfer doesn't delete what's on the card (though I copied it to my computer just in case as the instructions were really unhelpful with that).
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: TriforceoftheGod
3DS: 2921-9263-7348
Steam ID: TriforceoftheGods

Return to WiiU / Wii