Let's see if we can figure out what causes the WiiU freezing

Everything about the Wii and its games...

Let's see if we can figure out what causes the WiiU freezing

Postby theimporter » 20 Nov 2012 22:27

Hi there,

Nintendo stated over the phone that the freezing issues are more likely due to software than hardware. They could simply be covering their asses in order to fix a hardware issue or it could be very well true.

I'm an IT in a software company and trying to reproduce bugs is part of my job, granted, it's only an accounting software, nothing huge like games, but bugs are bugs and there's always a pattern. The trick to finding the pattern is to list everything that the freezing victims did and isolate the possible causes. Fortunately, what can be done a game console is much more limited than on a computer, so the list of possibilities his much shorter.

So to the people here who got the freezing issues, list what you did and what you've used on your Wii U out of the following list and please add anything that I might have left out:

1- Did you do the firmware update?
2- Did you have trouble with the firmware update or did it go smoothly?
3- Are you using Wi-Fi, Ethernet or are you simply not connected to the Internet on your Wii U?
4- Did you download anything form the eshop?
5- Got anything connected on your USB ports? If so, what and which port?
6- Do you have an SD card in your system?
7- Did you try physical games, digital games or both?
8- Did you try Wii games?
9- Did you transfer the content from your old Wii console?
10- Did you try any other type of discs besides Wii U and Wii softwares
11- Is your Wii U standing horizontally or vertically?
12- What are you using for video output and what resolution are you using (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)?
13- Is the sensor bar plugged in?
14- When your system froze, what controller were you using: gamepad Wii Remote or controller pro?
15- Were you playing alone, locally with other people or online with other people?
16- Did the freezing issue only occurred in Wii U mode or did it also occurred in Wii mode?

EDIT: Even if you didn't get the freezing issues, post your answers anyway, it will be useful to compare working ones too.
Last edited by theimporter on 21 Nov 2012 09:29, edited 2 times in total.
See my game collection and request my next video: http://www.gamingpondering.com
theimporter
Flicky
Flicky

Re: Let's see if we can figure out what causes the WiiU free

Postby Lakster37 » 20 Nov 2012 23:13

1- Yep, before I did anything else on the Wii U.
2- I had trouble staying connected to Wi-Fi to download it, had to resume the download 20+ times and took awhile, but once it was finished downloading, the actual installation process was smooth.
3- Wi-Fi
4- No
4- No
5- No
6- Physical, my system's only frozen twice: both during ACIII. The first was during a cutscene after I'd been playing for a few hours, the second was as I was loading up my saved file the next day. Worked fine after I shut it off, though.
7- No
8- No
9- No, I've only played (and inserted) ACIII and NintendoLand
10- Vertical
11- Wii composite (so only 480i)
12- Yes
13- Gamepad
14- Alone
15- Only Wii U
Lakster's Wii FC: 0396-7842-5899-7903
Lakster37
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: Lakster

Postby theimporter » 21 Nov 2012 09:36

Come one guys, over 100 hits but just 1 reply, we can do better than this. Tell you what, post your answers even if you didn't get the freezing issues.

Here are my answers and yes, I did get the freezing problem:

1- Yes
2- No, just took a while
3- Ethernet
4- No
5- USB Ethernet adapter in the back on one of the back ports (bottom port if I recall)
6- I did when I got the freezing issue but the card was empty
7- Physical only
8- Yes I did
9- Yes I did
10- Yes I did, GameCube, DVD and CD in both Wii and Wii U mode
11- Horizontally
12- HDMI 1080p
13- No, I have a USB sensor bar plugged in my TV
14- I was using Wii Remote + Nunchuk while playing Nintendo Land (Metroid Blast)
15- I as playing alone
16- Only in Wii U mode
See my game collection and request my next video: http://www.gamingpondering.com
theimporter
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Super Kevio » 21 Nov 2012 09:57

I think I've possibly identified the problem, people in other forums have been discussing this as well, and it seems that the Spot Pass comments from other languages are sending bad characters. The suggestion is to limit to English (default language) replies (this is a setting for each title, not a system setting) as in Nintendo Land, or if the title doesn't allow that option, turn Spot Pass off for now (New SMB Wii U). Obviously, if this works, this is something Nintendo will be addressing with the next patch, but it seems like an acceptable solution for the interim. Before trying this, I had four freezes (two in Nintendo land, two in New SMB Wii U). So far, afterwards, I have had none. Could just be dumb luck, or we could be on to something. Let me know what your success is! :D
Super Kevio
Fairy
Fairy

Postby wiiarebrothers » 21 Nov 2012 10:11

Super Kevio wrote:I think I've possibly identified the problem, people in other forums have been discussing this as well, and it seems that the Spot Pass comments from other languages are sending bad characters. The suggestion is to limit to English (default language) replies (this is a setting for each title, not a system setting) as in Nintendo Land, or if the title doesn't allow that option, turn Spot Pass off for now (New SMB Wii U). Obviously, if this works, this is something Nintendo will be addressing with the next patch, but it seems like an acceptable solution for the interim. Before trying this, I had four freezes (two in Nintendo land, two in New SMB Wii U). So far, afterwards, I have had none. Could just be dumb luck, or we could be on to something. Let me know what your success is! :D

Could be that, indeed. As stupid as it may seem, characters encoding can cause some terrible bugs sometimes v_v Hope Nintendo will fix that soon, because with the japanese and EU launch incomming, there is a bunch of weird caracters/scripts incoming :P
wiiarebrothers
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: wiiarebrothers
3DS: 3866-7995-7423
Wii: 2865-2186-3272-4357

Postby theimporter » 21 Nov 2012 10:33

Super Kevio wrote:I think I've possibly identified the problem, people in other forums have been discussing this as well, and it seems that the Spot Pass comments from other languages are sending bad characters. The suggestion is to limit to English (default language) replies (this is a setting for each title, not a system setting) as in Nintendo Land, or if the title doesn't allow that option, turn Spot Pass off for now (New SMB Wii U). Obviously, if this works, this is something Nintendo will be addressing with the next patch, but it seems like an acceptable solution for the interim. Before trying this, I had four freezes (two in Nintendo land, two in New SMB Wii U). So far, afterwards, I have had none. Could just be dumb luck, or we could be on to something. Let me know what your success is! :D

This could very well be. With our software, funky region settings do cause some issues. Out software uses the basic Latin script, anything other than this will usually give out XML and Active Report issues. I'll give it a try, I'll use it one week with English only and one week with any languages.

Good show
theimporter
Flicky
Flicky

Postby gamer_thumb » 23 Nov 2012 00:29

I had no freezing issues for 4 days until i downloaded the update. now it freezes constantly. usually happens to me when switching to different menu options.
gamer_thumb
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gamer_thumb

Postby Autosaver » 23 Nov 2012 01:02

Yeah, I've been hearing that Miiverse is causing a lot of the crashing. Funny because 99% of my crashes were from NintendoLand.
Autosaver
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Autosaver

Postby joshb1983 » 23 Nov 2012 09:36

I'm pretty sure the main culprit is NintendoLand. I've had three freezes. The first was when my wifi cut out while downloading the transfer app, and the other two times were when I tried to enter Twister Race from the menu instead of the lobby.
joshb1983
Flicky
Flicky

Postby pokemaster515 » 23 Nov 2012 12:55

I'll post my stuff for you and also note that I have not had any freezing problems

1.yes
2.smoothly
3.Wi-Fi
4.No
5.No
6.yes
7.physical
8. VC games yes, disc games no
9.yes
10.No
11.Vertically
12.1080i
13.yes
The rest I can't answer since it hasn't froze yet
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby gamer_thumb » 24 Nov 2012 01:16

After I installed the system update I was having constant freezes. Today I updated nintendoland & blackops. I also created a network id. Since doing these things I haven't had any freezes. Oh, I also downloaded Little Inferno.
gamer_thumb
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby gamer_thumb » 26 Nov 2012 13:19

gamer_thumb wrote:After I installed the system update I was having constant freezes. Today I updated nintendoland & blackops. I also created a network id. Since doing these things I haven't had any freezes. Oh, I also downloaded Little Inferno.

My Wiiu got use all weekend with no freezes at all. I am thinking it was the Nintendoland update that helped. Now if they can just speed up switching between menus.
gamer_thumb
Chocobo
Chocobo

Return to WiiU / Wii