Ok, NOW I hate Triforce

Tired of talking about video games? In here you can talk up ANYTHING else going on in the world or beyond...

Ok, NOW I hate Triforce

Postby tdub154420 » 22 Dec 2012 18:22

So this is my first thread ever on GoNintendo, and I actually have barely commented on posts. I've been one of the guys who visits a few times a day but never really logs in or says anything.

But the few times I did say something, it was commenting on Triforce's desperate plea for attention in his quest to purchase the very first Wii U. This self absorbed gaming fan of course got a lot of negative attention but on 2 separate occasions I defended him and his web series.

Well then he does something like this:

http://kotaku.com/5970778/after-sandy-hook-this-guy-says-he-got-50000-people-to-stop-playing-violent-video-games-but-one-gamer-refused

During a one day Online Shooter Ceasefire in remembrance of the Sandy Hook victims 50000 gamers abstained from gaming and even Anonymous promoted and took part in this event.

But Triforce, defiantly did not.

Now normally I'd defend the guy's right to do this. We all honor and respect tragedies and those who have passed in different ways, and if a certain memorial does not seem appropriate to us, then I think we should refrain from partaking in that event. And he defends himself by claiming that this memorial is going to only draw more attention to the gaming = violence issue in the media.

BUT knowing what we do know about Triforce and his inflated ego, self absorbed attitude, and ever growing desire for attention, I think its safe to say that he took a sincere memorial as a personal attack against him as a gamer. To me it feels like he completely forgot the fact that this was a way to pay respect, and was not a cause-for-violence witch hunt. It was a sincere memorial from a group of people, nothing more. A 50000 gamer ceasefire also showed that gamers aren't senseless violence addicted zombies, that gamers aren't in anyway controlled by their video games and that they can show their separation from a violent media to honor the fragility of life and pay tribute in a time of tragedy.

But Triforce couldn't understand this, he instead forgot that we should be thinking about the victims and not fervently trying to defend our rights to play video games, a right that wasn't even in question through this memorial.
tdub154420
Fairy
Fairy

Re: Ok, NOW I hate Triforce

Postby TheLastBlade » 22 Dec 2012 18:47

Apparently, Triforce is the one guy who eats before everyone is done praying.
You know what I love about being Spiderman?

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Boo
Boo

Postby Dmolisher » 22 Dec 2012 18:55

I'm not defending him in any way, but I do defend his right to do what he did. I've read some comments about this and if anything it seems more the guy who started this ceasefire is looking for more publicity then Triforce. 1. He actually appeared on television and has had a lot of media coverage. 2. He brings up Triforce (a gaming celebrity), but fails to mention the thousands maybe even millions still playing COD.

I'm ashamed to admit I was one because I didnt hear about this, but truth be told I doubt I would have acted differently. Before you misunderstand my original intention was just to see who was playing BLOPS2 after the news and there were still quite a bit. I did intend to leave and play something else, but friends came on and talked about what happened (none of us knew of the ceasefire) since we were all already on we decided to just play.

I'm highly saddened about what happened, but I do agree with others in that an "online shooter ceasefire" just seems like Pearman is acknowledging the accusations against violent video games. It seems like he's saying, "sure, video games ARE to blame. But we're willing to stop shooting at each other's pixels for a day to show respect." I don't think it's so much about how the media will interpret that; it already seems pretty clear.

This was a well-intentioned idea, but they did it in a bad way. They should have called for gamers to stop ALL gaming for one day to show that we're not "playing around" when it comes to wanting a stop to violence. That's a much better idea. It's like a moment of silence that way.

What really sets this strangely again is at least Triforce held his own tribute on the night of Dec. 21. He and some friends live streamed a marathon session of games like Zelda II and Street Fighter X Tekken-games that feature storylines in which you save kids. To promote his point of view he created a simple image that he hoped would be impossible to misinterpret:

[Gamers save {kids} and {princesses}, we don't kill them.]

If I didn't actually read it you made it seem like he just went on playing an online shooter and said Heck to Pearson..
Dmolisher
Chocobo
Chocobo

Postby MoldyClay » 22 Dec 2012 19:37

I don't like TriForce but what did he even do wrong other than disagree that it was a good idea?

What did he defiantly do? It's not like he said "Well **** you" and got online and played as many violent games as he could. He just said he'd play whatever he wanted to play.

Was it rude? Sure, but it's one guy who has been a glorified 'celebrity' (i.e., he's not, but okay guys. Make him one, like Paris Hilton or the Kardashians). I don't give two ****s when he is on line for a console, I equally don't give a **** that he didn't participate in a public acknowledgment that violent games are to blame (they're not) and that we're sorry for something we didn't do.

Yes. It was for a good cause, but what difference does it make that he didn't do it?

Hell, I didn't even know about it until today, and still don't know when this supposedly took place.

He had his reasons. Whether they made sense to you or not is beside the point. There are a bunch of good reasons to dislike Triforce. This isn't really one of them.
MoldyClay
Plumber
Plumber

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby bellboy » 22 Dec 2012 19:42

What DO we know about Triforce and his inflated ego?
bellboy
Metool
Metool

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby cortjezter » 23 Dec 2012 01:37

first emily rogers, now a triforce hate thread. do we really need these kinds of topics bashing other gonintendo community members???

these are somewhat public figures so i guess there's some leeway on discussions about them, but if these were more everyday users, this kind of thing would earn insta-bans for all involved. please be respectful if you choose to participate in this thread.
cortjezter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam ID: cortjezter
Wii: 4659 4316 9119 3027
PSN: cortjezter
XBL: cortjezter

Postby RD3AV5 » 23 Dec 2012 03:25

I liked his bangs
RD3AV5
Flicky
Flicky

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 23 Dec 2012 03:49

Triforce is a member here? :?

( ƒуi: No one here is refering to the GN user @Triforce of the Gods…) :P
Innovation is a funny thing in gaming... Do too much and you alienate fans of the genre, but don't do enough and you're blamed for making the same ol' game.Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
Wii: 3983-9278-9384-2345
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 23 Dec 2012 03:57

...Did you even read the entire article? He had a different opinion when it came to this, and the media almost certainly could have twisted around the ceasefire to make it seem like we were saying, "Yeah, totally videogames cause violence, so let's stop for a day." And I'm pretty sure he did in fact "ceasefire" and play games that featured you saving children. The link name did NOT help and seems like Kotaku trying to get a few extra clicks. And what exactly DO we know about his inflated ego? The guy might be trying a bit too hard when it came to camping out a month earlier, but you can't judge a person through some internet videos. P.S. Sorry for the double post, I hit the wrong button.
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: PatrickTheHuman
3DS: 0259-0444-2571
PSN: Patthehuman
XBL: PatTheHuman64

Postby FelipeGonc » 23 Dec 2012 10:54

Of course this is just my opinion, but I think that what he did wasn't wrong at all. Sure, it was something meant to pay respect to the victims of the shooting, but it also seemed to me like a way to imply that videogames are the only cause of violence. Did any TV channels stop airing violent movies or shows related to crime? No. And on top of that, just because he refused to participate doesn't mean he is being disrespectful to the victims or doesn't care about it. Either way, I sincerely don't think this is a reason to hate him.
FelipeGonc
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby nGen » 23 Dec 2012 12:27

You want to know how you really honor the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting?
Step 1: Remember the names of the victims instead of the shooter.
Step 2: Call your local congressional leaders or write them with your ideas on how to prevent future tragedies while urging them to do something about it in congress; because if these types of shootings keep happening multiple times throughout the year, then all the victims will have died for nothing.

You can "like" all the crap on Facebook you want, or give up playing violent video games for one day, but unless we act to prevent more tragedies any type of honoring or memorial is pointless because we'll just keep doing it again and again and again and again and again and...
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby mock turtle » 23 Dec 2012 12:51

cortjezter wrote:first emily rogers, now a triforce hate thread. do we really need these kinds of topics bashing other gonintendo community members???

these are somewhat public figures so i guess there's some leeway on discussions about them, but if these were more everyday users, this kind of thing would earn insta-bans for all involved. please be respectful if you choose to participate in this thread.

I may regret this, but who's Emily Rogers and why were people bashing her?
mock turtle
Flicky
Flicky

Postby ddddd » 23 Dec 2012 13:45

cortjezter wrote:first emily rogers, now a triforce hate thread. do we really need these kinds of topics bashing other gonintendo community members???

Not our Triforce guy Cort, its someone else :lol:
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 23 Dec 2012 18:10

mock turtle wrote:

She put out an article not too long ago, and people didn't like it, so she was burned at the stake.
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Postby ddddd » 23 Dec 2012 18:40

NintendorkZ wrote:
mock turtle wrote:I may regret this, but who's Emily Rogers and why were people bashing her?

She put out an article not too long ago, and people didn't like it, so she was burned at the stake.

This whole issue goes way before that, she has been posting rumors since the "Project Cafe" days, and people have been complaining since then. Her latest article just made people explode.
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby YoshiRider123 » 23 Dec 2012 18:55

mock turtle wrote:I may regret this, but who's Emily Rogers and why were people bashing her?

what have you done
ImageImage
YoshiRider123
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: YoshiRider123
3DS: 2234-7518-2554
Wii: 7089-5120-7410-8507

Postby Totodile » 23 Dec 2012 20:36

I understand his argument. It makes sense and I agree with it.
Totodile
Flicky
Flicky

NN ID: CallumNZ
3DS: 2621 2628 6042
Wii: 7678 9449 6362 8986

Postby bellboy » 23 Dec 2012 21:47

Totodile wrote:I understand his argument. It makes sense and I agree with it.

There's a bigger issue than video games here. It's ALWAYS been bigger than video games. Making a gesture is one thing but it does sound like an admission of guilt.
Video games aren't killing innocent people. The raving lunatics with the guns are.

Edit: I love your username set-up. Really made me smile. (Sig especially. You just need a Mona Lisa one and you'll just about have covered it all!)
bellboy
Metool
Metool

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby cortjezter » 24 Dec 2012 04:22

ddddd wrote:Not our Triforce guy Cort, its someone else :lol:

it's the guy who stands in line to be first for everything, right? the guy who legally changed his name? yes, he's a member of our community. he's even written an article for the site once.
cortjezter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam ID: cortjezter
Wii: 4659 4316 9119 3027
PSN: cortjezter
XBL: cortjezter

Postby Autosaver » 25 Dec 2012 15:58

mock turtle wrote:

Bad Journalism.

She put a game developer in bad hands by putting out accusations which could have led to bad publicity with a collapse of the developer.
Autosaver
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: Autosaver

Postby delpiero » 26 Dec 2012 09:14

I think it's pretty interesting that Tri Force didn't agree to it. If he's a Nintendo fan, and Nintendo is known for its non violent games, and this guy objects it, I like that it gives Nintendo actually a more mature image that way. And without expressing any opinion here, it's also nice that he said games saves people, not kill them, which is also a Nintendo viewpoint.
delpiero
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 27 Dec 2012 06:25

delpiero wrote:it's also nice that he said games saves people, not kill them, which is also a Nintendo viewpoint.

Most games have that viewpoint, Nintendo games moreso than others, sure, but even CoD's story has you saving the world/country.
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

Return to Random Discussions