Odd ways you learned about things

Tired of talking about video games? In here you can talk up ANYTHING else going on in the world or beyond...

Odd ways you learned about things

Postby Eternal Rain » 29 Mar 2013 11:52

Yeah not a very descriptive thread name, so best to show by example.

-It was through GoNintendo that I learned of the deaths of Billy Mays, Dick Clark, and Paul Bearer.

Yeah oddly I didn't even know these guys had passed away until I either saw RMC mention it in a "end of day" post, or the quote on the right hand corner of the site saying something like "Dick Clark (1929-2012)." I dunno, it just feels odd to learn of these passings via a gaming site and not something like Yahoo News.

EDIT that relates to the above: I learned of the death of Roger Ebert from the Nostalgia Critic's tribute to him. Yeah, found out about the death of a famous serious critic via a famous satirical critic. Go figure.

That's all I've got for now.
Last edited by Eternal Rain on 07 Apr 2013 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Re: Odd ways you learned about things

Postby MegaMan64 » 29 Mar 2013 12:29

Just yesterday, my friend showed me this video.
I did not know there was such a thing as a Grasshopper Mouse. So I learned something new.

Feel free to add me on your 3DS. PM me if u do. Also got a Wii U now, so add me as well and PM me!

MegaMan64
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Nerps64
3DS: 4596-9581-6101
Steam ID: SuperObjection64
PSN: SuperSpy12

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 29 Mar 2013 18:53

I learned that male echidnas have 4 headed "appendages" from Game Grumps.
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: PatrickTheHuman
3DS: 0259-0444-2571
PSN: Patthehuman
XBL: PatTheHuman64

Postby Mirr0rR3flection » 29 Mar 2013 19:57

Oddly enough today I learned of there being a real Poisonous Monkey through a web search after curiously wondering if there really was a winged spider based off a pic I saw in a joke thread on a Kingdom Hearts fan site. :p
I once lived in a bubble… but eventually… I grew tired of it. So yeah… wishes do come true… well for me at least!Image
Mirr0rR3flection
The Wish Maker

NN ID: Mirr0rR3flection
3DS: 1762-2673-3905
PSN: Mirr0r3flection

Postby bomblord » 30 Mar 2013 11:11

I just found out that North Korea declared a "war state" with South Korea through a NonSpecific ActionFigure facebook page
bomblord
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 30 Mar 2013 13:16

I learned a lot of things from a DSiWare game called Spin Six, an example of what I learned is that giraffes make sounds similar to cows. That game has a lot of random (but interesting) trivia.
HammerGalladeBro
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby Darth Vader » 31 Mar 2013 15:39

I used to despise rap music mostly out of ignorance until like seven years ago when my buddy sent me a meme gif of animals dancing, which I found hilarious enough to want to find a source (there's another one with a turtle breakdancing). After a good long while of searching I finally found where the clip came from and idk, something about that song just appealed to my younger self, it felt like a fun alternative to the shovel I was exposed to at the time, you know, Three Six and Kanye West and all that. So I started to look into similar artists to Jurassic 5, like People Under The Stairs, Hieroglyphics, The Pharcyde, Black Star, Blue Scholars, etc. and as I searched I realized more and more how varied and interesting and relevant hip hop can actually be when it's not specifically crafted by horrible 'artists' who simply happen to have amazing producers and a big record label behind them in their quest to fucking ruin American culture for money. Now these days hip hop is practically my favorite thing in the world
Vader's Gonna Go Play Some More Dankey Kang
3DS info - The Hoss - 0602 6282 8767
Darth Vader
Shyguy
Shyguy

Postby the_nintendo_screw » 31 Mar 2013 15:56

I found out Osama bin Laden was killed while searching a tropical fish forum.
MasterofMonsters is super awesome! I lost a bet. Hehe!
the_nintendo_screw
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: BRabbitofInle
3DS: 2062 9226 9407
Wii: 0688 2898 9694 3464

Postby Eternal Rain » 31 Mar 2013 21:52

Not sure if this counts as "that odd" but might be worth mentioning that I found out about Gorillaz and Daft Punk from Toonami way back in 2001 rather than some place like MTV or VH1 (hey they still aired music videos during some points in the day around then). Way back before Toonami became a part of Adult Swim, it used to have a thing called "The Midnight Run" where it'd air uncut versions of some of it's regular programming (most notably an uncut Gundam Wing), and during one of these it showed nothing but animated music videos from Daft Punk, Gorillaz, and even one song by the band Kenna.

Since then I've been big fans of DP and Gorillaz, and all thanks to an animation block on 2001 Cartoon Network instead of a music channel like MTV.
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Postby Berrix » 01 Apr 2013 10:36

Here's an odd thing I found out due to trying to prove another odd thing to a friend of mine.

One day we're talking over the internet and discussing Godzilla. In the midst of this I was googling out images of decent monster images of the series. Whilst I did this I ran into a photo that begged discussion. A gorilla marriage, in a church, with a priest, in Brazil. I then had to look at where the image was coming from. Apparently in this particular area in Brazil they held these marriages to encourage (somehow) the mating of the two gorillas for local zoos (and abroad). This particular photo was taken of silverbacks, however they were both male. Shockingly enough they were also very legit weddings, supposedly (it's the internet, not sure if to take seriously).

Now that it blew my mind I told my friend about it, he proceeds to google it (using a different phrase than I did, since I was still under Gozilla Monsters) and finds something else entirely. A research site in Mississippi where scientists were researching, homosexuality in mallard ducks (google it, since I'm not sure if it's right to link this). Supposedly the scientists were trying to find the "gay gene" and it's origins and somehow came to a conclusion that it's linked to ducks and was passed on to humans (this was around 2009 time period).

Makes me wonder how many humans survive not being able to get over that evolutionary hump.
Berrix
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Paraka
PSN: Moardawtz

Postby Zanreo » 03 Apr 2013 03:39

Not really that "strange", considering they're all about gaming, but I learnt about Game Center CX from that post on here with the episode where Iwata and Arino play Balloon Fight.

Also, I learnt about several species of fish and bugs from Animal Crossing that I had never seen before, like the coelacanth.

I'm sure I can think of more later.
Zanreo
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Return to Random Discussions