Movies the critic hated but you liked

Tired of talking about video games? In here you can talk up ANYTHING else going on in the world or beyond...

Movies the critic hated but you liked

Postby Eternal Rain » 21 Jul 2013 23:57

Ever find yourself enjoying a movie, but later find out "wow, critics seemed to hate this... oh well, I still like it"?

-Hotel Transylvania
Rotten Tomatoes score: 44%
Critics seemed to not like this movie for one reason or another, ranging from the humor to the fact the characters were voiced by Happy Madison alumni like Kevin James, David Spade, and Adam Sandler, but personally I really enjoyed this movie and would go as far as to say it was one of my favorite animated films of 2012. I really loved the animation (reminded me of old school early to mid 20th century animation brought into CG), the characters were amusing and likable (especially Mavis and Drac), and it had a good amount of humor. My only real negative is that the pop songs they sang in the movie itself were kinda "meh" but otherwise I enjoyed it.

-Joe Dirt
Rotten Tomatoes score: 11%
Yeah to be honest, by most account this movie seems like one many would hate, but yet I actually quite like this film in spite of it's flaws. Yes it's got a good amount of stupid and immature humor, and the characters are heavily "love them or hate them," but in all... I dunno, I just really found myself liking this movie. Maybe it was because it was like a goofy, redneck version of a good journey story, or maybe it was because I saw this movie at a point in my teenage years where this kind of stuff just appealed to me, but in all... while I can see why others would hate it, I usually try and watch this film at least once a year.

-The Waterboy
Rotten Tomatoes rating: 32%
Another Adam Sandler movie here. Coming from that time in Sandler's career where people think he -started- to slowly go downhill in terms of quality, I guess the main reason I like this movie is because of it's silly characters, seeing a Sandler's character achieve something he thought he wouldn't before, and just all the random redneck humor (I live in the southern US, for some reason jokes about stereotypes commonly associated with people of my region are really funny to me).

That's all I've got for now.
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Re: Movies the critic hated but you liked

Postby MoldyClay » 22 Jul 2013 00:10

Probably tons, but going by Wikipedia, critics seem to hate R.I.P.D.

Saw it Friday morning and I thought it was really good. D:

Even for being based on a comic that was clearly copying M.I.B.+Ghostbusters.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby bellboy » 22 Jul 2013 00:54

The big one.

Batman & Robin.

Really.
It has it's moments and if things were handled differently it could've been a better movie. (It's a flawed movie but nowhere near as bad as the fanboys make it out to be. In many ways I prefer the free-spirited oddball approach to the dark and gritty "real" superhero movie that Nolan did*)

*Begins and Dark Knight were great don't get me wrong but they were only one side to Batman. Not the end all and be all. Batman to me always was "larger than life". Being grounded in reality takes away the fun in my opinion. Nice experiment but I want a comic booky Batman again.
bellboy
Boo
Boo

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 22 Jul 2013 01:10

Movies I LOVED That Critics Hated/Disliked:

Tron Legacy:
Easily one of my favorite films of 2010. The film's visuals, soundtrack, characters (dat Michael Sheen and Jeff Bridges, man :3) all just had me totally enamored, and I really appreciated that despite the first film being nearly 30 years old they made this a sequel and not a remake/reboot. It did a really good job being a direct sequel, but being VERY accessible to those who knew nothing of the previous film. I loved where it went, and I want to see where it continues to go, really hope Disney speeds it up.

Eragon:

Terrible terrible, TERRIBLE adaptation of a book series that borrows heavily from Star Wars. The book series stole from Star Wars, the film stole from Lord of the Rings, go figure. But do I care? Of course not. For some reason, I really enjoyed this movie when it came out, even though it disrespected the source material so much (oddly enough, a lot of the important plot elements from the b ook they left out are included in the dvd/bluray as deleted scenes. . .with the CGI 100% done, the heck?). I think it might be because I like dragons, and I think this one did dragons well, or at least did dragons cool! I also thought it had a nice "epic" score that really helped pick up any scene that was lacking. It's also a film I can easily poke fun at and have a good time with with friends.

Death Sentence - A 2007 vigilante revenge film starring Kevin Bacon. Bacon's son is brutally murdered during a convenient store robbery and when the perp is let off easily on a technicality Bacon decides to take the law into his own hands and enact revenge on the guy, but doing so causes consequences that not only affect him, but the remaining members of his family as well. The movie is emotional, gritty, and violent. It also features a wonderful performance by the great John Goodman. The critics didn't like the story and felt it was too violent, but I didn't care, I love me some Kevin Bacon and a good vigilante flick.

-The Resident Evil films :3. I've spoke on these many times, so I don't feel the need to retread, but I do want it to be known that the actor who plays Wesker in these things is so over the top it's ridiculous, and ridiculously awesome. He's like, the poor man's Hugo Weaving.

Movies I Saw This Year That I Thought Was Good:

The Lone Ranger: Critics absolutely bashed it to pieces, but I thought it was good. Not great, not amazing, but good. I thought Johnny Depp did a good job as Tonto and Armie Hammer was a great Lone Ranger. The film was a long sit, but honestly? It FELT quicker than 2 and a half hours to me. I don't mind long movies too much, I love the 3 hour cut of Watchmen :P. Disney was pretty stupid to make this movie at $200 million though, no reason a western should cost that much, even with Johnny Depp.

The Purge, Olympus Has Fallen, and Now You See Me: Not much to say about these, they all had relatively simple premises, and they accomplished them well enough (it also didn't hurt that I saw the first two in the cheap seats on a lazy sunday afternoon). Now You See Me has a questionable twist, but the rest was solid.

Pain & Gain: Not a fan of Michael Bay, at all, but this movie was actually pretty good. I wasn't sure if I'd like this or not, a "Based on a True Story" movie about a murder being turned into a comedy? Seems kind of disrespectful, but after watching the actual movie I can't see a way to make the movie WITHOUT making it a black comedy, the situation they got themselves into was just way too bizarre not to laugh at, and the jokes were never at the expense of the victims. It was always at the ineptitude of the "villains".

I'm sure there's WAY more I could talk about, but I'll leave it at that for now, and then if things pick up I'll pop back in with more comments.

As a fun fact, the first three films I mentioned all star/feature prominently the actor Garret Hedlund, he must be underrated! XD

Also, I too love Joe Dirt, it's a movie I will always remember, it's one I rented from the video store and library quite often.

Did you hear about the sequel? Think it has any potential?
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Postby MoldyClay » 22 Jul 2013 01:21

GeneticRepoMan wrote:Movies I LOVED That Critics Hated/Disliked:

Tron Legacy

Wait what?

They hated Tron Legacy?

I loved that movie!
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

Postby nGen » 22 Jul 2013 01:28

Death to Smoochy - RT 42%
I love dark humor and could not stop laughing through this movie.

Red 2 - RT 40%
Saw it this evening. It's funny and fun even if Mary Louise Parker gives one of the worst performances ever in the history of everness.

Senseless - RT 6%
I probably wouldn't like this film as an adult, but as a teenager I thought it was hilarious.

Mommie Dearest - RT 53%
Roger Ebert once asked why anyone would want to subject themselves to this movie. To that I say NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!
MoldyClay wrote:

Tron Legacy

Wait what?

They hated Tron Legacy?

I loved that movie!

It has a 51% Tomatometer. I'd side with the 49% that didn't like it, mostly because is was nothing but a remake of the first film that acted as a sequel.

Now, if we're talking about movies that the critics loved and I didn't like/hated, the two that spring to mind are Cabin in the Woods and Pacific Rim.
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby GeneticRepoMan » 22 Jul 2013 01:47

nGen wrote:Death to Smoochy - RT 42%
I love dark humor and could not stop laughing through this movie.

Red 2 - RT 40%
Saw it this evening. It's funny and fun even if Mary Louise Parker gives one of the worst performances ever in the history of everness.

Senseless - RT 6%
I probably wouldn't like this film as an adult, but as a teenager I thought it was hilarious.

Mommie Dearest - RT 53%
Roger Ebert once asked why anyone would want to subject themselves to this movie. To that I say NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!
MoldyClay wrote:

Tron Legacy

Wait what?

They hated Tron Legacy?

I loved that movie!

It has a 51% Tomatometer. I'd side with the 49% that didn't like it, mostly because is was nothing but a remake of the first film that acted as a sequel.

Now, if we're talking about movies that the critics loved and I didn't like/hated, the two that spring to mind are Cabin in the Woods and Pacific Rim.

Death to Smoochy is absolutely wonderful, the critics totally got it wrong on that one!

And I too have fond memories of Senseless xD though I haven't seen it in a very long time so I'm not sure on current opinions. I think it's on Netflix Instant though, might have to watch again.

That reminds me of another one that I like a lot that got lambasted by critics: Pootie Tang. At the time of its release I had no idea that it was written and directed by Louis C.K., now it all makes so much sense. I was totally shocked when I re-visited that movie about three years ago.
If you add me on any platform, shoot me a PM and let me know!
GeneticRepoMan
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: GeneticRepoMan
3DS: 3952-7010-8227
PSN: darkfire0

Postby Devil_Rising » 22 Jul 2013 02:46

People who go check Rotten Tomatoes or other critic score sites to gauge whether or not a movie is "good", are kind of missing the point. Critics are just regular schmucks with their own tastes and opinions, but they get paid to share them, thus many people lend extra weight and credence to their views on a given film, because obviously, they're "experts". Except they're not. And often times, BECAUSE they're professional critics, they will go out of their way to find sh*t to nitpick about in any given movie, and they also, just like most of us, go into certain films already certain it's either going to be great, or terrible.

For example, I like most Adam Sandler films. They're dumb, funny entertainment. Not ALL of them are hilarious these days, but I'm rarely disappointed that I went and saw one. I've been a Sandler fan my whole life, and while some of his more recent works haven't always been great, I still love the guy. Hotel Transylvania and That's My Boy stand out in particular, as two movies I really enjoyed, that critics are just retarded about. They love garbage (IMO) like The Hangover, yet hate on Sandler at every turn. Go figure.

You really just have to make up your own mind. I like M. Night Shyamalan, he is actually one of my favorite directors. His last few movies have admittedly not been great, but I believe he still has it in him to make great movies again, if he'd just go back to the smaller, more intimate pictures he was good at. I went and saw After Earth, regardless of critics ripping it a new asshole, I gave it a chance, and you know what? I liked it. It was solid, enjoyable. Not on the level of Unbreakable or Signs, but it was a decent film, and I'm glad I saw it. But of course according to critics he's "continuing his slump". Oh well....fuck 'em.

Long story short: YES, I absolutely like a lot of movies that critics hate. I also happen to hate many movies that critics love, such as the new "Star Trek" films, or 300, just about anything Quentin Terrantino makes, etc. I have my own tastes, and I'm fine with that. Everyone else should be that way too. Just make up your own minds, fuck what critics have to say.
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby bellboy » 22 Jul 2013 03:32

Devil_Rising wrote:You really just have to make up your own mind. I like M. Night Shyamalan, he is actually one of my favorite directors. His last few movies have admittedly not been great, but I believe he still has it in him to make great movies again, if he'd just go back to the smaller, more intimate pictures he was good at. I went and saw After Earth, regardless of critics ripping it a new asshole, I gave it a chance, and you know what? I liked it. It was solid, enjoyable. Not on the level of Unbreakable or Signs, but it was a decent film, and I'm glad I saw it. But of course according to critics he's "continuing his slump". Oh well....fuck 'em.

To be fair to Shyamalan After Earth wasn't written by him (so I've read).

Generally I agree with your attitude to critics. Sometimes I feel like they just bitch for the sake of bitching. Preprogramed for hatred and vitriol.

Even Roger Ebert has had plenty of questionable tastes (and this has nothing to do with the whole "video games aren't art" debacle) in his career and people more or less seemed to flock to his opinion rather than formulate their own. A feeling I get from more or less everything. Not a case of people being sheep but just ganging together give their arguments "weight". (And bully the ones who disagree)
bellboy
Boo
Boo

Postby DKnight15 » 22 Jul 2013 03:43

The Pest........so hideous it was funny......nothing redeemable about it but I couldn't remember laughing any harder...except at Blazing Saddles...
www.U-Review.net

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss
“Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are.”
― Marianne Williamson
DKnight15
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: Dknight15
3DS: 4596-9467-5403

Postby nGen » 22 Jul 2013 10:25

MoldyClay wrote:
nGen wrote:It has a 51% Tomatometer. I'd side with the 49% that didn't like it, mostly because is was nothing but a remake of the first film that acted as a sequel.

Well, Punch-Out!! Wii is basically the same way.

I think Punch-Out!! Wii is phenomenal.

And I mean, I suppose, but I still liked it. I don't know why it being a 'remaquel' or something makes it bad so much as "y u do?"

I don't know if Punch Out!! is the best example in this situation. Nope scratch that, I do know that Punch Out!! is terrible example for this situation. Punch Out!! is non-story based. It's a game people play for pattern recognizing gameplay. Yes it does use most of the same characters from earlier games, but transferring these characters to a 3D environment does add more challenge to them. This a situation where movies and games are different.

Tron Legacy is billed as a sequel, yet the entirety of the movie feels too similar to the first one. Very little has changed in the Grid. Sure, it's been updated, but it's still a harsh realm where people play the same barbaric games they played in the first one, in the same order as the first one. The overall goal in the film is the exact same as it was in the first. They once again take the solar sailer to the portal, are attacked, etc. etc. The rhythm of the film is the same as the first, with many plot points hitting the same notes as the first one did. That's what makes the film feel too similar to the first one. It's the same thing with the 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, the rhythm of those films are the same. What I'm trying to say is when I shut off that DVD I had an extreme case of deja vu.

Plus, Tron Legacy has mediocre writing, a wasted concept and the character of CLU was poorly implemented and poorly executed.
Any objections lady?
nGen
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

3DS: 1633-4277-3240
Wii: 8216060320213884

Postby MoldyClay » 22 Jul 2013 14:40

nGen wrote:I don't know if Punch Out!! is the best example in this situation. Nope scratch that, I do know that Punch Out!! is terrible example for this situation. Punch Out!! is non-story based. It's a game people play for pattern recognizing gameplay. Yes it does use most of the same characters from earlier games, but transferring these characters to a 3D environment does add more challenge to them. This a situation where movies and games are different.

Tron Legacy is billed as a sequel, yet the entirety of the movie feels too similar to the first one. Very little has changed in the Grid. Sure, it's been updated, but it's still a harsh realm where people play the same barbaric games they played in the first one, in the same order as the first one. The overall goal in the film is the exact same as it was in the first. They once again take the solar sailer to the portal, are attacked, etc. etc. The rhythm of the film is the same as the first, with many plot points hitting the same notes as the first one did. That's what makes the film feel too similar to the first one. It's the same thing with the 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, the rhythm of those films are the same. What I'm trying to say is when I shut off that DVD I had an extreme case of deja vu.

Plus, Tron Legacy has mediocre writing, a wasted concept and the character of CLU was poorly implemented and poorly executed.

My point with punch out was just that "it's the same thing" nothing else.

I was comparing two unlike things, which is wrong, but it was to emphasis that "the gameplay in this game is exactly the same with a few deviations, and a lot of the characters are the same with similar patterns" and comparing it to "this film has an extremely similar plot, world, and flow of events (rhythm) with similar situations for the same and similar characters".

It makes sense to me because I am comparing the parts that were important. Some people were very upset with Punch Out being "the same".

My personal opinion was just that both were safe ways to attempt being nostalgic, with references and familiarity in order to bring something back after like 20 years. It's new for people that didn't bother watching Tron or playing Punch Out, but it's a reskinned retread that will either upset or excite fans of the original depending on how they look at it.

I would imagine a 3rd Tron would be nothing like the other two. It was just a safe re-entry for them.

But that's just my thoughts. I like the original Tron and Tron Legacy. I see what you mean by the copypasta 'rhythm', but I still liked both.

If you want a better example of 'rhythm' if you want to write off Punch Out, then consider A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. I feel that that is a much better example, as it relates to story and how Link approaches his quest in both games and when all of the climaxes happen.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, just giving my thoughts.
MoldyClay
Pikachu
Pikachu

Postby Mochlum » 22 Jul 2013 15:24

Many critics didn't like The Hobbit and I liked it a lot...
Spoiler:
Green = Newcomers I Want
Blue = Veterans I Want Back
Yellow = Alternate Costumes
Red = Assist Trophy/Stage Hazard
Mochlum
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Mochlum

Postby cortjezter » 22 Jul 2013 18:27

this topic is a bit difficult to answer since i pretty much stopped referring to critics' opinions when i noticed they were pretty much all bullshit back around the time my wii-wii started sprouting hair.

so i honestly have no idea which movies are critically panned or not, but my general rule of thumb is: if it looks like a serious drama or period piece = critics usually love it and usher it along toward oscar sainthood. another key indicator is if it has an "untouchable" actor in it, like meryl streep. that alone can get a movie a free thumbs-up from critics. however, if it's comedy, horror, sci-fi, etc.; things the average person enjoys, public opinion will differ greatly from the reduced critic interest.

basically, anything the public at large will generally enjoy; critics will dislike. however, after just looking up my favorite top 5 movies, all of them rank around 90-100% range on RT. that doesn't forgive the snubs against other likable movies though...

that said, i have to mirror at least one from the OP:
waterboy. actually, one of the first that popped into my head, and i've only seen it once or twice. not one of my faves, but i did like it.

ace ventura. thought to be predictable, crass, and poorly produced, at the time it was released, i couldn't get enough. i went to see it like 6 times in the theater. brilliant, creative comedy, and a truly unique character.

on the opposite hand, i have to agree with Devil_Rising on Tarantino. He does write some decent dialogue, and has good technical skill for movie-making, but the faux-retro/exploitation vibe/overly violent stuff he does is just not interesting for me. also, no online = 2/10.

if i think of more, i'll add them.
cortjezter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steam ID: cortjezter
Wii: 4659 4316 9119 3027
PSN: cortjezter
XBL: cortjezter

Postby Devil_Rising » 23 Jul 2013 02:17

One of my favorite directors of all time is John Carpenter. The man was a genius, way ahead of his time, and while I don't like EVERYTHING he's ever done (specifically Ghosts of Mars and his remake of Village of the Damned stand out), I do like most of his films. And ironically enough, most of his films were critically panned at the time of their release, only to be retroactively thought of as anywhere from solid to amazing later on. Even Halloween, his most famous film (which was sadly turned into a never ending franchise), was not critically lauded when it first came out, but much later became recognized as a landmark in cinema. The Thing was called an "unintelligent barf bag flick" when it first released, but now a lot of people think of it as a very good, dramatic, cerebral film. Big Trouble in Little China, one of my top favorite films of all time, didn't impress critics upon it's release, and suffered from a bit of studio sabotage in the face of Eddie Murphy's "The Golden Child" (a good, but inferior in comparison film). Yet now it's considered an iconic "cult hit". That happens sometimes.

But how some people could consider a director like Tarantino a "genius", while at the same time considering Carpenter as a "has been".....is really sad to me. The guy had some serious influence on the film industry with his works, and more importantly, he made movies that satisfied himself creatively, he didn't make movies to please studio execs.
Also featured at: http://thepunkeffect.com
Follow along on Twitter: @RetroRevelation
And Tumblr: retrorevelations.tumblr.com
Devil_Rising
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: Godzilla1981
PSN: AwesomeFukenGuy

Postby CaptainColon » 23 Jul 2013 11:31

Freddy Got Fingered is one of my favorite comedies of all time.
CaptainColon
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: BeerAndMidgets
3DS: 0989-1731-6815

Postby Eternal Rain » 23 Jul 2013 20:48

@DevilRising
I agree with you on Carpenter. When I heard he was involved with FEAR 3's cinematics I thought that was pretty good news, and the cinematics in the game are actually some of my favorite parts. (that and the combat feeling like a first person Gears of War, though I will agree with the critics that FEAR 3 did feel less atmospheric compared to the earlier games, but now I'm getting too off topic)

CaptainColon wrote:Freddy Got Fingered is one of my favorite comedies of all time.

I watched the Nostalgia Chick review on that movie and laughed more at the movie clips than the actual review itself (though the scenes where they go bonkers with hot dogs flying around, and Oancitizen's reactions to the movie were pretty funny). It seems like such a bizarre type of movie that I bet it's hilarious in a "so bad it's good kind of way.

Which brings me to a BIG one... pun intended. Norbit. Hear me out on this, I do get why some people hate this movie, but I gotta be honest... when I saw this in theaters with my dad, brother, and uncles we all just laughed our butts off (I'm the only girl in this group, heh). Also I don't mean for this to sound racist, so please do not take it as such, but when we saw the movie, the majority of people in the theater were all southern black folk, and they laughed just as much as we did. For some strange reason watching this movie surrounded by southern black folk made it even better. (don't ask how, we southerners are weird like that)
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Postby MegaMan64 » 23 Jul 2013 22:18

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Nuff said.

Feel free to add me on your 3DS. PM me if u do. Also got a Wii U now, so add me as well and PM me!

MegaMan64
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Nerps64
3DS: 4596-9581-6101
Steam ID: SuperObjection64
PSN: SuperSpy12

Postby Fatmanonice » 24 Jul 2013 12:05

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is the only one that immediately comes to mind. A lot of critics panned it for being too dark, too gritty, and too chaotic but considering the movie is about two guys tripping balls for days on end and reflecting on how the late 1960's killed the American Dream, I think they missed the point entirely.
Fatmanonice
Octorok
Octorok

Postby ddddd » 24 Jul 2013 17:34

MegaMan64 wrote:Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Nuff said.

Movie critics have no heart :cry:
ddddd
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Damian-87

Postby PatrickTheHuman » 24 Jul 2013 22:00

Birdemic: The Shock and Terror is the best worst movie ever. If you've never heard of this, then I strongly suggest getting your friends together and watching it. I don't think I've ever laughed at a movie harder than I did at that one.
PatrickTheHuman
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: PatrickTheHuman
3DS: 0259-0444-2571
PSN: Patthehuman
XBL: PatTheHuman64

Postby Zanreo » 01 Aug 2013 18:43

PatrickTheHuman wrote:Birdemic: The Shock and Terror is the best worst movie ever. If you've never heard of this, then I strongly suggest getting your friends together and watching it. I don't think I've ever laughed at a movie harder than I did at that one.

I've heard of that and I need to watch it once.
Zanreo
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Postby Mochlum » 01 Aug 2013 19:06

PatrickTheHuman wrote:Birdemic: The Shock and Terror is the best worst movie ever. If you've never heard of this, then I strongly suggest getting your friends together and watching it. I don't think I've ever laughed at a movie harder than I did at that one.

I've seen the Jontron review! Does that count?
Spoiler:
Green = Newcomers I Want
Blue = Veterans I Want Back
Yellow = Alternate Costumes
Red = Assist Trophy/Stage Hazard
Mochlum
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

NN ID: Mochlum

Postby 8 bit » 06 Aug 2013 18:58

This one was not so much the critics, but pretty much everyone I know dislikes it: CLOVERFIELD.

I like that movie so much, it's probably one of my favorite movie-going experiences ever. I don't know if it was the immersion of the "handheld cam" style or simply the fact that the subject was so mysterious because the trailers didn't give anything up (it was a huge viral campaign), but this movie was just a thrill ride and had me at the edge of my seat for the entire time.

Yeah, a lot of the acting sucked, and all my friends started mocking the plotholes when we came out from the theater, but I just had the best time. That's what movies are all about. :D

GeneticRepoMan wrote:Tron Legacy:
Easily one of my favorite films of 2010. The film's visuals, soundtrack, characters (dat Michael Sheen and Jeff Bridges, man :3) all just had me totally enamored, and I really appreciated that despite the first film being nearly 30 years old they made this a sequel and not a remake/reboot. It did a really good job being a direct sequel, but being VERY accessible to those who knew nothing of the previous film. I loved where it went, and I want to see where it continues to go, really hope Disney speeds it up.

Couldn't agree more!

I love Tron Legacy. I had super high expectations for Kosinski's "Oblivion"... but that one did mostly suck.
8 bit
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Postby bellboy » 07 Aug 2013 09:29

cortjezter wrote:ace ventura. thought to be predictable, crass, and poorly produced, at the time it was released, i couldn't get enough. i went to see it like 6 times in the theater. brilliant, creative comedy, and a truly unique character.

To this day that blows my mind. (That critics didn't like it)
It's one of Carrey's finest outings in my opinion. The sequel was astounding too.
bellboy
Boo
Boo

Next

Return to Random Discussions