My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic thread!

Tired of talking about video games? In here you can talk up ANYTHING else going on in the world or beyond...

Re: So I watched that new My Little Pony cartoon today...

Postby AadmM » 09 Jun 2012 11:28

I watched like, one five-minute clip of this show once, and I'll admit...it was funny. Still haven't bothered to watch a whole episode yet though.

Maybe I'll give it a real chance one of these days, who knows...
AadmM
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: atombeany
3DS: 2019-9824-4588

Postby bushidogamer » 10 Jun 2012 15:34

Mako wrote:Do we know when season 3 is going to begin airing?

Who is everyone's favorite pony?

Season 3 should be airing in the fall based on historical evidence.[1] They may change things up and air it even earlier because of the success of the show.

I love ‘em all personally. If I had to choose, mine would be Pinkie Pie oddly enough. I know that random does not equal good design yet I still like her. It’s what she did at the end of "Griffon the Brush-Off" that sold me. I even know someone in real life that’s almost exactly like her, my niece. Throws parties, loves to decorate, has a high pitched voice, still acts like a kid, loves to cook and is extremely bubbly. She’s the type to go out trick or treating even though she’s way past that age, just like Pinkie Pie.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... c_episodes

Crow wrote:You guys...play video games for little kids...

Nintendo makes games for everyone.

Crow wrote:Im sure a good bit of you have even played that princess peach game :|
Leaving games, if youve ever enjoyed a disney princess movie (tangled, beauty and the beast, snow white) then you really, REALLY dont have any room to talk.

I've played Super Princess Peach. The level design was bland and forgettable. Boss fights are awesome though. They’re animated beautifully and some require innovative, unconventional approaches to defeat them. That’s characteristic of Tose if Chrontendo is anything to go by. They’re a ninja developer who makes games for almost anybody without taking credit. Historically, most of their games aren’t very good. They mostly made licensed games before Konami, Nintendo and Square took an interest in them.

Tangled is pretty funny and accurate at depicting how teenagers act. I can’t stand Disney before Pixar took over. Although my cousin, she made me watch The Little Mermaid when I was a kid. Yeah, yeah! That's it. *Shifty eyes*. It’s pretty shallow and chickens out on the original H.C. Andersen's punchline. You know Sherri Stoner, the writer and voice of Slappy Squirrel from the Animaniacs? She's the model for Ariel and Belle. Animators used her as a reference. They incorporated the way she bites her lip and brushes her hair out of they way.[2]

There is always room to talk. Especially if you didn't vote, you can complain all you want. You didn't vote for the guy. It's a free country.

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherri_Stoner

Edit: Removed link to metacritic.
bushidogamer
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Mako » 11 Nov 2012 03:39

Season 3 Episodes 1 and 2

My thoughts about the season opener are below. What does everyone else think? I know we have a lot of MLP fans on GN.

Spoiler:
I think the villain could have used a lot more screen time. By the time he was actually able to get into his true form he was "killed" again. This is party because the whole thing felt rushed. They could have easily made this into a 3 part episode and explained things a lot more and not rush the pace as much. It was still good, but probably my least favorite of all the "2 part" episodes.

Also, the songs were pretty meh. I didn't like any of them. I am very concerned about Twilight's ability to use black magic so easily. Did Celestia actually teach it to her or did she learn it from observation? It wasn't really explained to well. Also, what ever happened to the Queen of the city? They never mentioned that... I also got the feeling that Luna was jealous of Twilight. Either that, or she feels bad because she isn't able to help and she knows what Twilight will have to go through. I just get a feeling that something BIG is going to happen and that Luna and Celestia are keeping it a secret from everyone else.

Also, I thought Shining Armor and Candance were going to stay there as King and Queen to protect the city if something were to happen again, but I guess not... I really liked Rarity this episode and felt that PP was out of place with most of what she did. Fluttershy and Dash were alright. AppleJack and Twilight were a bit behind Rarity, but also had some good scenes.

Overall, I still liked it, but it could have been a lot better. Definitely excited to see what the rest of S3 brings!
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Mako91
3DS: 4167-4543-6089
Wii: 0725-3780-1331-9030
PSN: yugoboy91

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic thread!

Postby TheLastBlade » 11 Nov 2012 03:54

It was just as embarrassing to look at, as it was in the past 2 seasons...
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby pokemaster515 » 11 Nov 2012 12:26

I remember when I first saw this thread, I thought you guys were all weirdos for watching this show! But one day I saw this was on Netflix and out of couriousty I watched the first episode and didn't really like it, but my niece started liking it and when it got into the later episodes it was actually pretty funny.
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby Eternal Rain » 11 Nov 2012 22:44

I actually kinda forgot about my own thread, wow. XD

I also never noticed the title got changed too. Also funny looking back at the first post now because I called myself "male" then only because I was kinda in the closet about me being a pre-op male-to-female transsexual (but hey this thread is not about that at all XD).

About the season 3 premiere:

Spoiler:
I have a theory that the reason why King Sombre (or "Somber," I can't remember) was underdeveloped is because maybe they plan on having him come back for the season finale. Season 3 will only be 13 episodes long, half the length of the last two seasons, so thus rather than the "two villains a season" thing they just use one for both the beginning and the end. Just a theory of course, who knows. Anyway, before anyone freaks out about there only being 13 episodes this season, the producers have confirmed it's NOT because Hasbro plans on cancelling the show after 65 episodes (a common practice with shows of this nature, I think older Transformers and GI Joe cartoons were the same way), it's just that 13 was all they wanted for the "late 2012/early 2013" season. Look at it this way, this most likely means season 4 will start as early as next summer.

Anyway, I liked the season opener. I'll admit it wasn't as good as the season 2 opener, but I still liked it, and hey "A Canterlot Wedding" was kind of a tough act to follow with it's awesome, Disney quality musical numbers and cool villain. Now to look forward to the "regular" episodes of the season. One commercial showed that a visual gag for one episode will involve Pinkie momentarily turning her face into that of a G3 pony, so I'm expecting some funny "mythology gags." [TV tropes it if you don't get it :P]
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Postby Broken_Cartridge » 12 Nov 2012 00:14

I hope that this isn't taken as me frowning upon people who like the show, but I never got into this series for a number of reasons. The most prominent ones are that this show is designed for young girls (but I realize it's also made to be entertaining for the family, so that parents can watch it with their kids without wanting to fall asleep), and that "Bronies" on the internet scare me. I'm not referring to anyone here (well not based off of the discussions that I've read here), but the fan base as a whole just creeps me out.

I'm making a post because I recognize that there could be flaws in my approach. Should I be against watching a show that's designed for kids when I enjoy Avatar: The Last Airbender, or afraid to watch it because I don't want to become like the bronies of the interweb (again, not relating this to anyone present)? Probably not. Anyone care to make an argument for watching the show? (and if so is there a means of watching it besides Netflix since I can't afford it right now)

@Eternal Rain - I may not be able to personally relate, but congrats on being true to yourself.
Broken_Cartridge
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Broken_Cartridge
PSN: Stephen5543

Postby MegaMan64 » 12 Nov 2012 00:23

Broken_Cartridge wrote:I hope that this isn't taken as me frowning upon people who like the show, but I never got into this series for a number of reasons. The most prominent ones are that this show is designed for young girls (but I realize it's also made to be entertaining for the family, so that parents can watch it with their kids without wanting to fall asleep), and that "Bronies" on the internet scare me. I'm not referring to anyone here (well not based off of the discussions that I've read here), but the fan base as a whole just creeps me out.

I'm making a post because I recognize that there could be flaws in my approach. Should I be against watching a show that's designed for kids when I enjoy Avatar: The Last Airbender, or afraid to watch it because I don't want to become like the bronies of the interweb (again, not relating this to anyone present)? Probably not. Anyone care to make an argument for watching the show? (and if so is there a means of watching it besides Netflix since I can't afford it right now)

@Eternal Rain - I may not be able to personally relate, but congrats on being true to yourself.

How DARE YOU NOT LIKE IT! Just kidding. And ya, the bronies on the web are disturbing. Those are what I call radicals. They take the fandom too far and ruin the fun. And you won't become a radical if you watch it. I watch it and I am normal. The weird bronies just have some sort of mental problem. But if it is not your thing than thats ok. It's not for everyone.

Feel free to add me on your 3DS. PM me if u do. Also got a Wii U now, so add me as well and PM me!

MegaMan64
Boo
Boo

NN ID: Nerps64
3DS: 4596-9581-6101
Steam ID: SuperObjection64
PSN: SuperSpy12

Postby pokemaster515 » 12 Nov 2012 00:25

I'm pretty sure Youtube has full episodes. And you don't need to be a Brony to watch or enjoy the show, I don't interact with Bronies on the internet and stuff I just watch the show with my niece, and I wouldn't consider myself a brony (the picture and sig are just for kicks). I don't really know about getting over that its a show for little girls though, but if you liked Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends you could probably enjoy atleast a few episodes. Search the episode "Putting Your Hoove Down" and see if you like that, I think its the best one so... I forgot where I was going with this.
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby AadmM » 12 Nov 2012 01:06

Tried watching a couple full episodes a while back.

Still don't understand the fascination...it has its moments, but it's not as great as the internet makes it seem.
AadmM
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: atombeany
3DS: 2019-9824-4588

Postby Mako » 12 Nov 2012 01:31

Brony (n): A term for a male fan of MLP.

@Pokemaster
I'm sorry, but if you are male and watch MLP, then you are a Brony. :P

@Broken_Cartridge
As far as not liking the show. That is fine. Everyone has different tastes and preferences. No one will get angry at you for not liking it. I will say that I was hooked right away, but that might not be the case for everyone. You should at least try watching a few episodes to see what it is all about. You just need to get past the fact that they are all ponies. Also, the theme song is the most embarrassing part of the show by far. Just like you, Avatar and now Legend of Korra are some of my favorite cartoons, so I think you will like MLP as well.

Some of the better episodes (In my opinion) are "Party of One", "Dragonshy", "Sonic Rainboom", "Winter Wrap Up", and "A Canterlot Wedding (2 parts)". I recommend watching some of these episodes and if you do like them, then watch the whole thing in order. :P

Oh, you can find all the episodes (in 1080p) here: http://mlp-fim.com/1
Mako
Site Mod
Site Mod

NN ID: Mako91
3DS: 4167-4543-6089
Wii: 0725-3780-1331-9030
PSN: yugoboy91

Postby Iridium077 » 12 Nov 2012 02:04

I liked the Season 3 opening, although the villain - as has been stated - was no Discord or NMM. For a moment I thought they were going to pull some cool twist like "Cadence was a crystal pony the whoooooole time"... but they didn't.

I liked Spike getting a big role in it, though. Spike is best pony. 8)

By the way, not to totally hijack your thread, ER, but congratulations on being able to admit that. I'm only the much-less-interesting second-letter of that initialism (at least, in most common order), but I've always had immense respect for the people who have to go through what you do. Good luck~
Iridium077
Waddle Dee
Waddle Dee

NN ID: Iridium
PSN: Jean_Descole

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 13 Nov 2012 21:08

Yeah, King Sombre could have been built up more. However, I was enjoying the episode to much to really care.

Spoiler:
Did the crystal ponies call Cadence their queen, or was I just hearing things?
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: TriforceoftheGod
3DS: 2921-9263-7348
Steam ID: TriforceoftheGods
PSN: TriforceoftheGod

Postby FighterKirby » 13 Nov 2012 22:01

Well, when I watched it live (gosh darn, I woke up one minute into the hour it premiered. Luckily I'm a sucker for spoilers and watched all the previews SO I DIDN'T MISS MUCH) I just felt like the two episodes didn't live up to my personal hype. I agree that it wasn't as good as the Discord or Royal Wedding two-parters, but it was definitely better than the series premiere. The animation is at its best though... and I'm so so so glad they're improving on that. The animation is what got me into the show in the first place.

My only complaints are the lack of Sombra screen time, the lack of explanation on whatever the hell Luna was up to (I guess they could be saving that for the season finale?), and the awkward pace of the story. I felt like it was all... weak. But then again, who am I to judge the story of a show for little girls? Ahahhahahhhsabglhbalgh okay.

Overall, I thought it was good, but nothing amazing. Though I wasn't expecting much to begin with, I felt a bit disappointed that some things didn't happen. And my expectations are completely reasonable, nothing like "EPIK FIGHT WITH ALL PONIES VS. SOMBRA BOOM BOOM". I just wanted Sombra to have a better appeal, so his two-episode exclusivity (...we'll see.) wasn't for nothing.

Oh, and Shining and Cadance did next to nothing during these episodes. (...aside from the obvious, that is, but this was their chance to develop character, and I didn't see that either...)

Triforce of the Gods wrote:
Spoiler:
Did the crystal ponies call Cadence their queen, or was I just hearing things?

Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure you're right. It could be that she's related to the Crystal Queen or whoever, because her cutie mark looks like the Crystal Heart... she pretty much was meant to rule the Crystal Empire. Not sure how they'll expand on that idea.
3DS Friend Code: 3866-8009-2295
PM me if you want to exchange codes!
FighterKirby
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: DreamRKirby
3DS: 3866-8009-2295

Postby Serpent_Seed » 13 Nov 2012 22:30

I really liked the season 3 opening. I was OK with Sombra because I think he'll be back. Can't wait for the rest of the season.
Serpent_Seed
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

NN ID: SerpentSeed
3DS: 3695-0028-7339
Wii: 7872 0081 7284 9070
PSN: SerpentSeed

Postby TheLastBlade » 14 Nov 2012 19:35

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAVyY-Xhtbg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Hee hee...
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 14 Nov 2012 19:38

Out of all the potential meme material in this episode, people went with them bringing back Gak. Granted there are people outside America who never heard of it before, but still...
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby TheLastBlade » 14 Nov 2012 19:42

Triforce of the Gods wrote:Out of all the potential meme material in this episode, people went with them bringing back Gak. Granted there are people outside America who never heard of it before, but still...

That's cuz they both suck.
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 14 Nov 2012 19:49

By people, I meant people who like the show and create memes out of it because they enjoyed that part, but whatever.
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby Eternal Rain » 14 Nov 2012 19:50

Triforce of the Gods wrote:Out of all the potential meme material in this episode, people went with them bringing back Gak. Granted there are people outside America who never heard of it before, but still...

Yeah it's gyrobowls all over again (from the season 1 finale, surprised the season 2 opener and finale didn't spark any "overused commercial" meme). Granted to some people Gak is pretty nostalgic since it's a "toy" from the 90s, but still I saw pages upon pages of Gak on derpibooru after the episodes aired.
Eternal Rain
Toad
Toad

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 14 Nov 2012 19:59

That and Firbies. What are they going to revive next?

And now this is getting off topic, so I'll just go back to reading comments on the pony fanfic update I just finished reading.
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby FighterKirby » 17 Nov 2012 16:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOheH9XQa-w - Season 3, Episode 3 - "Too Many Pinkie Pies"

Hooooly geez this episode was fantastic. Probably my favorite Pinkie Pie episode so far, and definitely a great comeback from the (personally) underwhelming season 3 premiere episodes. They poke fun at G3 at one point which I thought was hilarious. I also noticed they have been really pushing the "friendship" this season, where all of the Mane Six get around the same screen time, and there's a more diverse social interaction between them all. I didn't see much of this in the previous seasons (sometimes the episode was entirely focused on two of the Mane Six, and screen time was horribly unbalanced.) and I'm glad to see they're doing all they can to balance everything out.

Thoughts?
3DS Friend Code: 3866-8009-2295
PM me if you want to exchange codes!
FighterKirby
Octorok
Octorok

NN ID: DreamRKirby
3DS: 3866-8009-2295

Postby Triforce of the Gods » 17 Nov 2012 17:44

A ton of Pinkie's was even crazier than I thought it would be. Hot damn that was a great episode.
Triforce of the Gods
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Postby TheLastBlade » 17 Nov 2012 17:53

I still couldn't get mlp :/... When I first commented on this, I thought it was cute. But now, it's as lame as ever.
It's my stage now!
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Delta46 » 15 Jun 2014 13:06

Wow, this thread hasn't been active in almost two years :shock:
Delta46
Shyguy
Shyguy

3DS: 3780-9033-3686
PSN: Apple_Jack3264

PreviousNext

Return to Random Discussions