Games you think people should/shouldnt play

Tired of talking about video games? In here you can talk up ANYTHING else going on in the world or beyond...

Re: Games you think people should/shouldnt play

Postby Koopzilla » 03 Jan 2013 03:32

Should: Metroid: Other M - just because it's a good game that everyone that doesn't like it is so vocal about.
Earthbound - If you have $200 to spare, buy it now.
Mole Mania - An excellent game, I missed out on with the Gameboy, but got recently on 3DS VC, and love it.
Okamiden - the controls are a little weird since it's 3D with a d-pad, but an excellent game.
Aliens: Infestation - pretty short, but very fun. Kinda like old school Metroid.
The Legendary Starfy - an excellent game that can be had now for cheap.

Shouldn't: Call of Duty - Because it's the reason half of all games have to be FPS's nowadays.
Vagrant Story - Ugh, I just flat out hated this game despite repeated attempts of trying to get through it.
Final Fantasy X thru XIV - For ruining one of my favorite franchises, and getting worse each time.
Star Fox Command - I bought this on clearance new for $5 and still felt ripped off.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

NN ID: Koopzilla
3DS: 2793-0595-9972

Postby Omegavertebra » 03 Jan 2013 05:06

earth defense force
earth defense force
earth defense force
EARTH DEFENSE FORCE
EARTH DEFENSE FORCE!!!

BUY ALL COPIES OF EVERY GAME
DO IT NOW
Omegavertebra
Goomba
Goomba

NN ID: The12thGripper
3DS: 1246-8708-3348
PSN: The12thGripper
XBL: The12thGripper

Postby MoldyClay » 03 Jan 2013 06:05

Should: Majora's Mask, Xenoblade Chronicles, Deadly Premonition

Shouldn't: AMY

Oh, and you guys are confusing "Shouldn't play Other M" with "Shouldn't watch Other M's cutscenes".

TheLastBlade wrote:Hey guys, you know what you shouldn't play?

- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Sonic 06
- Sonic unleashed

God these games are terrible... Shadow the Hedgehog is one of the worst video game spin offs EVER. Sonic 06 is just BAD.... Superman 64 BAD. Nothing in that game is good at all. If you think it's a good game, then you're a bunch of tw@ts. Sonic unleashed created all the BS 2.5D to 3D segments and a speed boost that makes you crash like a car. Be wary people.....

The 2.5D stuff that continued into Colors and Generations is probably the best thing to happen to modern Sonic, but okay. I didn't play Unleashed itself though. Shadow I did play, and it was the worst thing ever.

And as for Sonic 06, I found the main game to be fun. The problem is, the main game is surrounded by an awful story, awful collision detection, badly placed rings/speed boosts, awful MACH SPEED sections, Tails actually being something I do NOT want to play, snowboard sections that are uncontrollable, terribad missions and loading times OH LORD THE LOADING TIMES/SCREENS.

But the 10% of the game that is actually a game, I enjoyed. It's just hard to people to withstand the other crap to get to those minor good parts.
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

NN ID: frothyjazz54
3DS: 3050-8737-8491
Steam ID: frothyjazz
Wii: 5586 1294 0421 8289
PSN: moldyclay
XBL: MoldyClay87

Postby TheLastBlade » 03 Jan 2013 17:22

MoldyClay wrote:
The 2.5D stuff that continued into Colors and Generations is probably the best thing to happen to modern Sonic, but okay. I didn't play Unleashed itself though. Shadow I did play, and it was the worst thing ever.

And as for Sonic 06, I found the main game to be fun. The problem is, the main game is surrounded by an awful story, awful collision detection, badly placed rings/speed boosts, awful MACH SPEED sections, Tails actually being something I do NOT want to play, snowboard sections that are uncontrollable, terribad missions and loading times OH LORD THE LOADING TIMES/SCREENS.

But the 10% of the game that is actually a game, I enjoyed. It's just hard to people to withstand the other crap to get to those minor good parts.

Had fun with Colors. Generations..... Not so much. I don't think anyone would disagree that Shadow the Hedgehog is bad..... Except for those other types of people.

Sonic 06 was just bad PERIOD.
You know what I love about being Spiderman?

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby RedFire Mario » 03 Jan 2013 17:26

TheLastBlade wrote:Hey guys, you know what you shouldn't play?

- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Sonic 06
- Sonic unleashed

God these games are terrible... Shadow the Hedgehog is one of the worst video game spin offs EVER. Sonic 06 is just BAD.... Superman 64 BAD. Nothing in that game is good at all. If you think it's a good game, then you're a bunch of tw@ts. Sonic unleashed created all the BS 2.5D to 3D segments and a speed boost that makes you crash like a car. Be wary people.....

While I agree with you on Shadow and Sonic 06, the glitches in Sonic 06 were entertaining to see, as well as just plain annoying. The only part I hated about Unleashed was the slow paced Werehog levels. The 2.5D to 3D segments are pretty fun (especially the PS3/360 version) and Sega did a good job with it in Colors and Generations.

GAME YOU SHOULD PLAY: inFAMOUS (and inFAMOUS 2) - Sucker Punch did a great job with the story to both of the games and how your playstyle will affect Cole MacGrath and everyone around him. Easily my favorites on the PS3.

GAME YOU SHOULD NOT PLAY: The Darkness II - The gameplay was alright, but you don't really care for the characters too much and the plot twist ending makes it feel like you played the game for absolutely no reason.
RedFire Mario
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: RedFireMario

Postby bellboy » 03 Jan 2013 18:15

KingBroly wrote:Great Topic

Should: Xenoblade Chronicles

SHOULD NOT EVER EVER EVER IN A TRILLION INFINITE YEARS TRY, RENT, PURCHASE, BORROW, ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GET IN THE VICINITY OF YOUR PERSON OR PERSONAL SPACE OR LIGHT YEARS FROM YOUR PERSONAL SPACE EVER EVER EVER INFINITY: Metroid - Other M

Spoiler:
you knew it was coming

Don't sugercoat it, Broly. Tell us what you really feel.
Anyway...

Should: Skies of Arcadia: Legends.
(It's probably rarer than Earthbound now though. Our only hope now would be if it appears on VC) I bought a used copy of it on eBay for the full price of new game and you know what? I don't regret it. At ALL.

Shouldn't: I'd probably say Other M too. Not cause I'm a sheep or anything but I just can't think of anything I was really disappointed by like that one. It got so bad that I had just get rid of it because I simply hated having that reminder that I had wasted my money. (Traded it in for a gift voucher worth £4 and given that there were 48 new copies on sales for about the same price I'd say it was a bargain!)

Runners-up include:
Tomb Raider Underworld (glitchy shambling mess) and
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
(For me the ultimate test of loyalty to Nintendo and the point where I stopped mucking about and giving them free-rides, plenty of design and gameplay issues just tainted it for me. (Listen to me crack here: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=reviews&game_id=406&id=274)
bellboy
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby LittleKingsWii » 03 Jan 2013 20:40

Should - Little King's Story (especially if you like the Pikmin games).

Shouldn't - Epic Mickey. Ideas of the game had potential for all of us to see something fun. Too bad now I find it to be a mediocre game wrapped around said fun ideas.
- Charlie Kelly
LittleKingsWii
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: LittleKingsWii
Wii: 6084 2806 4916 2362

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 03 Jan 2013 20:54

I think saying “Shouldn‘t: Metroid: Other M“ is like saying “Shouldn‘t: Atari E.T.“, something we all know.
Mind you, I‘m not saying Metroid: Other M is as bad as Atari E.T., whether you like it or not is up to you.
HammerGalladeBro
Toad
Toad

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby bellboy » 04 Jan 2013 05:16

HammerGalladeBro wrote:I think saying “Shouldn‘t: Metroid: Other M“ is like saying “Shouldn‘t: Atari E.T.“, something we all know.
Mind you, I‘m not saying Metroid: Other M is as bad as Atari E.T., whether you like it or not is up to you.

I think Atari ET is something people wouldn't mind giving a shot at least once. I mean it's so infamous it's legendary now.

Not trying to make any points here, just a hypothetical observation.
bellboy
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: bellboy64
XBL: Madaman64

Postby Koopzilla » 04 Jan 2013 05:51

bellboy wrote:
HammerGalladeBro wrote:I think saying “Shouldn‘t: Metroid: Other M“ is like saying “Shouldn‘t: Atari E.T.“, something we all know.

I think Atari ET is something people wouldn't mind giving a shot at least once. I mean it's so infamous it's legendary now.

Not trying to make any points here, just a hypothetical observation.

I actually used to like E.T. quite a bit. Of course, I was only about 4 years old at the time, and loved the movie. But, no it's not a good game, but I'd say it's not the worst game ever made as some claim. The interesting thing about it is that while it is usually cited as being the cause of the big video game crash, it was actually one of the best selling Atari games. The problem was a miscalculation on Atari's part because while it sold 1.5 million copies, Atari produced about 5 million copies of it. They only gave the developer 5 weeks to make the game and skipped audience testing in order to push the game out by Christmas. It can't be solely blamed for the crash though, there were other rushed, bad games put out by Atari around that time (like Pac-Man), and overall lack of quality control. There were tons of terrible games being released, leading to a huge decline in consumer confidence, and huge drop off in sales.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

Postby MoldyClay » 05 Jan 2013 04:47

TheLastBlade wrote:Had fun with Colors. Generations..... Not so much. I don't think anyone would disagree that Shadow the Hedgehog is bad..... Except for those other types of people.

Sonic 06 was just bad PERIOD.

Not really arguing that Sonic 06 is bad. Just saying I actually enjoyed the game parts. And like RedFire Mario said, it was fun to see glitches. Personally, I experienced very few, to the point where I was upset that the game WASN'T crapping out on me as much as people were suggesting it would. Maybe because it was 360? Dunno. I really only had an issue with loading, mach-speed levels, Silver battle and snowboarding. The game's still bad, but it's bad in a way that I love it.

That's really not fair. Gameplay-wise, I still don't understand what the problem with that game is. Story's got loads of problems, and yes, having the ADAM DIDN'T AUTHORIZE THAT nonsense is obnoxious, but I had absolutely no problem with the gameplay and had nothing but fun playing the game. Only parts I did NOT like was when it forced me into first person to look for something not obvious, or using the first person at all. I love Prime games, but Prime this was not.

Really guys? A waste of money? I find it really hard to believe.
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Postby pokemaster515 » 05 Jan 2013 14:20

MoldyClay wrote:That's really not fair. Gameplay-wise, I still don't understand what the problem with that game is.

As someone who doesn't care about story or Metroid in general, and having no expectations going into it, I can honestly say the game is bad. I beat the whole game and I wouldn't describe a moment of it as "fun".
-D-pad controls are awful
-Long, empty halls that do nothing but waste time
-mashy, no-fun combat
-auto-aim, auto-dodge, and cutsceen combat take out any skill required
-Boss fights are just the same boring combat or "find the weak point" in first-person
-Forced first-person "Where's Waldo"
-Switching to first-person at all was useless and dumb
-Jumping to platforms can be a hassle
-Stupid "puzzles" or frustratingly hidden switches
-No reason to backtrack besides missles and health but the game plays itself anyway so whats the point
-Completely void of any music (not usually something I care about, but this game was bad enough as it is)

But on topic, Play: Sonic and Sega All Star Racing: sure the characters are pretty lame, but its nice to have a kart game that doesn't punish the player every 20 seconds for being in first place.

Don't play: Sonic Adventure (first one): I always enjoyed SA2 on gamecube despite the the boring Tails/Eggman levels and bad camera, but this game was so broken I didn't even finish it. And it has the same run around the city to find the next levels as Sonic 06 and Unleashed on the PS360. Oh yeah, don't play those games either.
pokemaster515
Metool
Metool

3DS: 1805-2174-0951

Postby MoldyClay » 05 Jan 2013 17:58

pokemaster515 wrote:
MoldyClay wrote:That's really not fair. Gameplay-wise, I still don't understand what the problem with that game is.

As someone who doesn't care about story or Metroid in general, and having no expectations going into it, I can honestly say the game is bad. I beat the whole game and I wouldn't describe a moment of it as "fun".
-D-pad controls are awful
-Long, empty halls that do nothing but waste time
-mashy, no-fun combat
-auto-aim, auto-dodge, and cutsceen combat take out any skill required
-Boss fights are just the same boring combat or "find the weak point" in first-person
-Forced first-person "Where's Waldo"
-Switching to first-person at all was useless and dumb
-Jumping to platforms can be a hassle
-Stupid "puzzles" or frustratingly hidden switches
-No reason to backtrack besides missles and health but the game plays itself anyway so whats the point
-Completely void of any music (not usually something I care about, but this game was bad enough as it is)

- Not sure how the D-pad controls were awful. It's not really a 3D game, so I don't know what you were expecting out of it.
- I feel like there were long empty halls in others. Can't remember right now.
- Majority of Metroid/MM games consist of mashy combat to kill things.
- Auto-aim was due to the way the2.5D was set up. I think Shadow Complex also had auto-aim, and that was great. Don't recall actual auto-dodging, and don't see what QTEs have to do with skill. Or what skill has to do with Metroid.
- Sounds like most games..
- Agreed. Hate the forced first person crap.
- Agreed. Everything about first person was stupid and dumb.
- You're complaining about something found in every Metroid (hassling platforms)
- Again, something in all Metroid games (puzzles and hidden switches) unless this is tied to first person
- I seem to recall backtracking in the story, but not as much as usual. Funny because, often, people whine about backtracking. Until there is none, then it's an issue (like with Paper Mario Sticker Star).
- Guess I can give you the music thing. Not that it really mattered to me for playing it..

So, I agree with everything involving first person. Some of the stuff sounds like things that were in the other Metroid games, so not sure what you're complaining about.

And the D-pad thing is a person-by-person basis. I had no problem with the D-pad movement or platforming. If you asked me the same about a fully-3D game, like PokePark, I'd say yes, the D-pad controls are atrocious.
MoldyClay
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Postby Jirachi » 05 Jan 2013 20:52

Honestly i agree mom had good gameplay i never payed attention to the plot so i cannot say if i founf that bad.

Anyway
Should:Unchained Blades
Tales of the abyss
Pokemon Ranger Shadows of almia
Monster World IV

Shouldn't
Dragon Crystal
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Mario Party 9
Sexy Poker not because it's perverted(that's why i wanted it) it's just not very good poker plus what's the point of a pervy game that shows nothing you cannot see in a victoria secret add.

Basically it seems like an m rated game aimed at 13 year olds so call of duty with boobs.
(btw that last part was a joke)
My favorite zelda game is Twilight Princess and Jirachi is my favorite pokemon <3 skype:SSBBKING

Jirachi
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: Jirachifan
3DS: 1848-1701-2271
Wii: 5376-4745-6865-7604
PSN: TCDFTW
XBL: N and 360 fan

Postby TheLastBlade » 05 Jan 2013 21:23

Jirachi wrote:
Shouldn't
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

..... I like this.

I would also like to say people shouldn't play any Atlus games with bad level design and dungeon crawling (which is like ALOT), but they'll play games like Catherine no matter what I say.

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Zanreo » 09 Jan 2013 07:48

Should:
- Rhythm Heaven. Any of them.
- Ghost Trick
- Ace Attorney (the series in general)
Zanreo
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

NN ID: Zanreo
3DS: 4167-5254-5483
Steam ID: Zanreo
PSN: Zanreo

Postby TOADAL_KAOS » 10 Jan 2013 00:10

SHOULD:

DEMON'S SOULS AND DARK SOULS!!
These are two of the most inspired games I have played in the 21st century. The battles are fierce, physical, and involve detailed strategy. Dreamlike narrative ambiguity. Some of the most poetic online play gaming has seen today. Couldn't find the link to the interview where Miyakaki explains the inspiration behind the online model.. I'll try and find it! Also, great soundtrack!

SHOULDN'T:

(I know I'll get destroyed for this)
Assassins Creed... I felt the whole series was a pain to play... Cluncky gameplay, an ok narrative at times, repetetive fights and tasks (nothing seemed unique).. Environments were cool, at times, but overall, kind of generic interactions with them.. I will have to say that the side quests in AC 2 were good, collecting deceased assaassin's belongings (am I remembering that right?!)
TOADAL_KAOS
Fairy
Fairy

NN ID: ToadalKaos
PSN: TudHatLaguna
XBL: VilchVonMower

Postby HammerGalladeBro » 10 Jan 2013 00:15

Should: A Kappa‘s Trail
Shouldn‘t: A Kappa‘s Trail

Seriously, that game is good, but it‘s surprisingly very hard, even for a DSiWare games.
HammerGalladeBro
Toad
Toad

NN ID: AHammerGalladeB
Steam ID: HammerGalladeBro
Wii: 2969 2823 0139 0622

Postby MegaShock100 » 11 Jan 2013 23:58

Shouldn't play: I wouldn't say someone shouldn't play a game because they might like it, but more importantly, even if is bad it's valuable experience just so the person know how bad it is. So which game should someone play for knowing how bad it is? I would say Sonic Unleashed. I remember when it was announced everyone was excited because it was classic 2fast2furious Sonic gameplay with actual good looking 3D sections that stayed true to the 2D gameplay... and then they revealed that stupid werehog. The final game has some nice 2D parts, but they're crushed between the incredibly boring and mindless werehog stages and walking around talking to ugly peoples. The comic relief provided by the pink fairy thing is so unfunny and stupid, it's literally embarassing and insulting. But I suffered through all that tons of crap just for the 2D levels and the music. Generations wasn't amazing of anyhting, but it was much better and enjoyable than Unleashed. Haven't played Colors, Rush was just bad, and haven't played Rush Advance.

Spyro: Year of the Dragonfly... yeah you should just ignore this one. Not even worth playing for how bad it is. >.>

Jett Rocket: How to NOT design a platformer. It looks nice and that's the only good thing I have to say about it. Is just a extremely boring collect-a-thon with not a modicum of challange and the platoforming is boring. The F-Zero game from Shin'en was also boring and had pretty slow gameplay and mechanics.

Play: Rayman Origins. This game is amazing. Play it. I would say the mechanics in Mario/DK are somewhat better, but Rayman Origins gets the edge in terms of level design. The water stages are my favorites, and they have the best visuals and music too.

TheLastBlade wrote:I would also like to say people shouldn't play any Atlus games with bad level design and dungeon crawling (which is like ALOT), but they'll play games like Catherine no matter what I say.

Well yeah, that's cause you haven't said anything worthwhile because a) you have nothing worthwhile to say and b) you are *incapable* of saying anything worthwhile.

Cathrine is good game, deal with it. 8)
MegaShock100
Metool
Metool

Postby Koopzilla » 12 Jan 2013 01:12

MegaShock100 wrote:Cathrine is good game, deal with it. 8)

I haven't ever played it, but it actually looks somewhat similar to Pushmo, which is a good thing. If I had something to play it on I would check it out.
Koopzilla
Nintendo Power Player

Postby TheLastBlade » 12 Jan 2013 17:50

That's cool. Play a game with crappy block puzzles and a bs anime storyline.

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

Postby Cassidy » 13 Jan 2013 00:40

Should: Half-life or Half-Life 2. The former may not have aged as well, but the sequel still holds a place in my heart as the reason to go back to PC gaming.

Shouldn't: I'm sorry, but Paper Mario Sticker Star. I've posted this before, but what kind of puzzles require you to die to figure out what the Hell you're supposed to do next? When I was fighting Gooper Blooper, the game doesn't give me a hint when I'm struck with the oil. However, after I read a guide to use the Sponge Sticker and used it against Gooper, the game felt it was right to tell me when he fires the oil for the second time! Not only that, the game suggests to clean off the second shot with the Faucet Sticker. As if bringing one Thing Sticker wasn't enough to complicate this boss.

Not only that, you can screw up the battle by getting three lightning bolts or Fire Flowers in the slots, which will hurt Blooper, but remove the poison effect that makes this one fight possible to beat.

EDIT: Just to note, the Sponge is not a optional tactic for the boss. i.e. You have to use it!
Cassidy
Shyguy
Shyguy

NN ID: KingCassidy
3DS: 4854-6597-5917
Steam ID: Morbid Safety
XBL: ThisIsACassidy

Postby gamer_thumb » 13 Jan 2013 01:11

Should = Need for speed: Underground. Played it on the gamecube. Loved the racing, cars music, the whole atmosphere of the game with a simple plot to move things along.

Shouldn't = Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit for Wii. I was so excited for this game and bought it for my birthday instead of Goldeneye. Horrible graphics, horrible gameplay, no on-line.... It was absolutly nothing like the versions for the other consoles. There was no excuss for this trash and I never bought another EA game for the Wii afterwards.
gamer_thumb
Chocobo
Chocobo

NN ID: gamer_thumb

Postby MegaShock100 » 14 Jan 2013 10:43

Oh yeah, another game everyone should play: Little King's Story. This is one of the best games of the generation and while I consider Pikmin 2 the overall superior game, there are things about this game that I find better. Even if you didn't like Pikmin, you might still enjoy this game for other reasons like the story, world and exploration, kingdom building, and differences in gameplay (in this game you get troops with different functions as opposed to strict elemental properties like in Pikmin).

Koopzilla wrote:I haven't ever played it, but it actually looks somewhat similar to Pushmo, which is a good thing. If I had something to play it on I would check it out.

Yeah, it's a pretty great game and the puzzle gameplay is interesting even on the normal difficulty. Personally, while I don't mind the story/sim aspects, I would love to see sequel or spin-off that's entirely about the puzzle gameplay.

TheLastBlade wrote:That's cool. Play a game with crappy block puzzles and a bs anime storyline.

Hilarious coming from the guy that thinks Sticker Star is alright. xD Seems like u just madz cause Catherine was too hard for you, LOL.
MegaShock100
Metool
Metool

Postby TheLastBlade » 14 Jan 2013 16:53

Thanks for being that other fan trying to use that "it's too hard" excuse. Sticker Star was underwhelming, but at least people weren't stuck with boring block puzzles, a story in which involves a tool trying to know the difference between loyalty and freedom, and load times just so the music can catch up with the game.

Everything.
TheLastBlade
Toad
Toad

PreviousNext

Return to Random Discussions